PDA

View Full Version : Anybody spot R3-T7 in the movie? (MERGED)

Fulit
03-08-2002, 11:54 PM
It's obvious why they made Zam, Clonetrooper, and Jango "Sneak Preview" Figures, but why R3T7? Anyone know how he figures into the movie and why he is important enough to hang with main characters?

PloKoon2385
03-09-2002, 01:26 AM
Because Georgie Porgie, doesn't want to give too much away. Ha! Moron! Well, I think that is the reason anyways, because they didn't want to leave a complete main character in there because that would leave no speculating to be done. But by releasing characters that we supposedly aren't so sure about, they released them to increase the hype.

Co Jo-Da
03-09-2002, 02:35 AM
Honestly I don't care about R3-T7, he just sits in Obi-Wans Jedi Fighter but probably doesn't do anything else. Hey who knows R3-T7 could be Obi-Wan's R2-D2 but than again he never owned a droid...

Jargo
03-09-2002, 06:12 AM
Well, he's seen on the streets of Coruscant as Anakin is chasing Zam. So possibly she fires at Anakin, misses and hits the droid.Causing him to short out and thus the electro blue stuff that he packs with. That's the only thing I can think of unless she crashes her ship into him or something. but I think the first one sounds more plausible. He's in the making of ocumentary segment 'A twinkle beyond Pluto' strolling along with some woman in a red dress. :)

LTBasker
03-09-2002, 11:35 AM
Well at ToyFair Hasbro had him pictured in the Arena, and if he's seen on Coruscant he's probably a droid spy or some droid assisstant to the Jedi or Republic.

Jargo
03-09-2002, 12:05 PM
I don't think you can take the Toyfair set up as read because R3-T7 was used in lieu of an opened R2. it's R2 that is in that scene with the conveyor belt contraption. Obi's droid is red. If another jedi uses this droid then why was it shown in the documentary walking with that woman. She was tottering along in high heels and didn't look like anything to do with jedi. More society hostess than Jedi warrior :D

I suspect that R3-T7 is just a utility droid on Coruscant and as this woman is walking through the streets minding her own business, along comes a mad bounty hunter and an even madder jedi and the droid just gets caught in the crossfire. I don't think there's anything more special about him.

PloKoon2385
03-09-2002, 12:52 PM
I didn't see the documentary, but that sounds reasonable. And it DOES explain the blue lightning going through him/it. But is the lady in the red dress really an agent?? (Matrix, in case you didn't catch on... ha ha ha... ok no more humor...):sur: :stupid: :crazed:

LTBasker
03-09-2002, 03:30 PM
I didn't say HE WAS a Jedi assistant, it was just speculation, considering if he had no reason being there in Hasbro's Arena set up, he most likely wouldn't of been there. Like I said, "a droid spy or some droid assisstant to the Jedi or Republic." That doesn't mean he'd have to be a droid of a Jedi, but rather just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or maybe it's really attack of the R3-T7 clones! :eek:

Anyway, I have doubt that R3 gets shot by Zam because if you look at the preview Zam, her blaster bolt is red, we saw what happened to R2 in ROTJ when he got hit with a regular blaster bolt, in ANH did R2 get the blue bolts around him (he did get blue bolts, right? I can't remember fully.) and that was when he was hit with an ionization Jawa blaster, and I highly doubt Zam Wessel would be using an ion blaster. ;)

The R3-T7 figure was pictured at a door, which has been said to possibly be the droid factory, and he had the blue bolts around him, like those on the AOTC Battle Droid figure, I'm guessing that he quite possibly could be a Republic droid and ends up at the droid factory somehow, even R2 and 3PO end up there. :D

corporal AMF
03-09-2002, 07:37 PM
I believe R3-T7 could be at the coruscant platform when Amidala is intented to be killed...in that explosion he's blownn away
in the mystery trailer i believe I see R2D2 being hit by something in fire, maybe at the start of the scene r3t7 is walking down the ramp whe the bomb explodes..
but don't know till seeing the movies, don't know why hasblo never make any R5 droids til now....they are as common as R2's.

2-1B
03-09-2002, 08:23 PM
I'm glad they chose to release this droid in the preview wave. My guess is that he's a minor character, only around for one scene. In order of screen time, my money is on:
1 Jango
2 Cloney
3 Zam (should be a nice little sequence)
I just have the feeling our little R2 unit is a distant 4th.

I think they are just mixing it up, 1 or 2 major characters with 2 minor ones. But yeah, he's always struck me as the odd inclusion of this wave. That's cool, I want him the most ! :)

Rollo Tomassi
03-10-2002, 08:28 AM
He was chosen because he's the easiest to make. They've already got Astromech molds up the wazoo, so slap some paint on 'em and ship 'em out.

JediTricks
03-10-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
Honestly I don't care about R3-T7, he just sits in Obi-Wans Jedi Fighter but probably doesn't do anything else. Hey who knows R3-T7 could be Obi-Wan's R2-D2 but than again he never owned a droid... Co Jo-Da, I believe that's R4-P17, the droid that's just a dome. R3-T7 is a normal Astromech with a clear dome so you can see the bits inside. Personally, I think this is a cool figure.

Beast
03-10-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
He was chosen because he's the easiest to make. They've already got Astromech molds up the wazoo, so slap some paint on 'em and ship 'em out.
He was a last minute choice from what I understand. Originally the 4th figure was going to be Shaak-Ti, and then it was changed to the Super Battle Droid, and then changed again to R3-T7. Probably due to the fact they know how ravenous most Star Wars fans are about Astromechs. Not to mention the SBD is kinda a spoiler figure. So they went with a figure we have been clamoring for, an R3 unit. Probably because he wouldn't have found a space in the new saga line this year.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
03-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Co Jo-Da, I believe that's R4-P17, the droid that's just a dome.

I was just thinking, this morning, that the number designation of P"17" (double digits) maybe because it's just the dome and there for not a proper Astromech as we have come to know them (i.e. single last digit with a body unit). Is there anything that supports this idea?

icatch9
03-11-2002, 12:20 PM
I agree with Jeditricks it is a real cool figure. It might not have 3,000 points of articulation, but the clear dome is a very amazing feature.

His importance? Who realy knows? Perhaps he is the droid the holds the whole Star Wars universe togeather.

Co Jo-Da
03-11-2002, 01:29 PM
Sorry I got him confused with a different droid. He sounds very cool indeed but I doubt he is anything more than a cool looking droid that gets shot...

mark2d2
03-11-2002, 11:52 PM
He may at first appear to be a curious choice. Especially since now for three waves in a row we have an astro unit. That must be some kind of a new record. First R4M9, the R3T7 and of course a new R2D2.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!

But the significance of R3T7 has been vastly underestimated.

I alone know not only what scene he is in, but why he has the spiffy blue electricity accessory. . . It all starts on Tatooine where Artoo -- always fast to make friends, quickly gets to know R3T7 and R5D4. Anyway, the other two droids are very impressed with R2's heroic life. So much so they plot what to do to save R2 if for some odd happenstance they should ever somehow all be taken prisoner by a roving band of jawas. R3 really puts on a fireworks show that poor R5 can't reproduce himself, and the sad little red droid is quite jealous.

Little does he know that twenty five years later, it will be up to him to save the day as R3 was quickly bought and sold. See, it appears clear domed droids are heavily desired not only by action figure collectors, but also by real life moister farmers. Who knew?

Jedi Clint
03-17-2002, 03:06 PM
This is the droid you're looking for.

Check out what is being swung behind Anakin for a split second in the clone war trailer.

Jargo
03-17-2002, 03:36 PM
It looks like it might be but the dome is the wrong way round colour wise. The dome itself is yellow and the coloured panels that should be yellow are actually darker like brown or something. So it can't be R3. I still think he's the one on Coruscant walking with the woman in the red dress and gets zapped by Zam or Jango. According to the speculation, Jango is lurking around watching Zam. He's the one who fires the Kyber dart that kills her. So what about Jango getting a shot on R3 and it's intended for Zam?

I'd like to think this droid or whatever it is in the droid foundry could be R3 but like I say, the colours are the wrong way round. :)

Editing this in later: I just watched the trailer on my big TV and i don't even think it's anything other than a strange shadow and a strange lighting effect combined to make a shape that isn't there. There's nothing hanging from that piece of machinery at all. it's just a big moving metal arm. I went through the scene frame by frame and it's not a droid of any description. Sorry to disillusion you your lordship. :)

LTBasker
03-18-2002, 04:12 AM
Like I said, I think it's unlikely that Coruscant is where the "blue bolts" R3 is, not saying he's not on Coruscant at all, I'm just saying that's where the Hasbro one might not be depicted from.

Why?

1. Because of Hasbro's Toy Fair dio.
2. Because in ROTJ R2 gets shot and all his stuff pops out and he just totally flips out, and if the shot actually hit him, he'd have a blaster mark. R3's bolts seem to be not from him or ion effects, considering he doesn't have all his gear popping out nor does he have a blast mark on him and I highly doubt that assassins/bounty hunters would be using handheld ion cannons to kill a human.
3. Clone Trooper's blasters have blue bolts... and they do fight droids. Granted it could be said using reason #2, why would they be blasting Geonosians and beasts with ions but who's to say there aren't blaster variants on the Clone Trooper and some instead of destroying the droids are sent to disable some to take back and learn of a more effective weakness and R3 gets caught in a cross fire while going to a droid factory.

Dexter
05-16-2002, 12:04 PM
He's a sneak preview figure, so I don't think Lucas would've cut him from the final movie... but you never know... I was paying CLOSE attention watching for cool droids, and I never saw this little guy, even for a moment...

Darth_Maul25SW
05-16-2002, 02:27 PM
Where in blazes was R3?? And why did he get shocked?? did I miss something?

pthfnder89
05-16-2002, 02:48 PM
Nope, he's supposed to be on the streets of Coruscant, but I didn't see him either. And they definitely didn't show him getting shot, or electrocuted or whatever that electricity with his toy is suppoed to represent.

jedihunter25
05-16-2002, 03:36 PM
Last night I went to the midnight showing of AOTC. The film was very busy, but did anyone see the sneakpeak figure R3-T7? I also seen blue Royal Guards but not the red ones. I guess I'll have to see it two more times today.

SplFrcsCWO
05-16-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by jedihunter25
Last night I went to the midnight showing of AOTC. The film was very busy, but did anyone see the sneakpeak figure R3-T7? I also seen blue Royal Guards but not the red ones. I guess I'll have to see it two more times today.

The red guards were in the back when the Jedi were in Palpatine's office. It may be that the red stay inside and the blue are for external security.

JediTricks
05-16-2002, 11:01 PM
Hmm, I didn't see this droid either, that's kinda disappointing.

Darth_Maul25SW
05-16-2002, 11:43 PM
No I think blue are Senate Guards while red are Chancellor Guards

Lord Tenebrous
05-23-2002, 06:00 PM
Could somebody verify this?

R3-T7's appearance was in the beginning of the film as Captain Typho's astromech droid. Look for R3 being lowered from the N-1 fighter right as Typho walks up to the other Naboo 'pilot'

Lman316
05-23-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
Could somebody verify this?

[QUOTE] R3-T7's appearance was in the beginning of the film as Captain Typho's astromech droid. Look for R3 being lowered from the N-1 fighter right as Typho walks up to the other Naboo 'pilot'[QUOTE]

That droid of Typho's is green, and it's an R2 unit, not R3. When I went to my second viewing yesterday, I was watching for stuff more closely than the first and I just happened to notice this.

Now, I didn't see R3 during the movie, but I did see R5-D4. The first time through, I was like "Where is R5? He's supposed to be here, right?" And second time, bam, there he was :D

DaneSolo
05-23-2002, 07:25 PM
I think R3-T7 is Capt. Typho's droid. In the very beginning of the movie when the Senator's ship is blown, shrapnel destroys the Naboo fighters on the platform. In the background you can see a droid lying down smouldering . . .

Darth_Maul25SW
05-23-2002, 07:43 PM
where was R5-D4?

Darth_Maul25SW
05-23-2002, 07:45 PM
If it is Capt Typho's it would explain the blast marks and the blue electricity since it was probably damaged in the attack.

Lman316
05-23-2002, 09:49 PM
It isn't Capt. Typho's. Like I said, Typho's is green (I'm more than sure - I'm going to see it again, so I'll confirm it) and resembles R2-A6 from the Episode 1 6" figure.

R5-D4 was on Tatooine. You can cleary see him moving across the sand just before Annie's and Padme's rickshaw pulls up in front of Watto.

2-1B
05-25-2002, 10:47 PM
I finally found him !

It took awhile, but I finally noticed that as Obi and Ani drag Zam out of the club, R3 can be seen moving from left to right in the background! I do believe it's the same shot Jargo talked about, I think there was a woman next to him. I did not however see him zapped at any point.

I hope someone can support my claim, I really believe it's him! :)

And as for Typho's droid, I do agree that it is green. I too initially thought Typho had R3, but I have no doubt now that Typho's is green.

Beast
05-25-2002, 10:52 PM
Well done, Jedi Master Caeser. I will have to watch closely during that scene the next time I hit the theater. Anyone that has the bootleg from the net, how about ya post a screenshot. Finally, the mystery of R3-T7 has been resolved. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks