PDA

View Full Version : DVD Release (MERGED).

Pendo
03-12-2002, 02:55 PM
Dark Horizons (http://www.darkhorizons.com/) are reporting that AOTC will be released in October, instead of the scheduled November:

Originally scheduled for November 21st, rumours began today that Lucasfilm have 'unofficially' moved up the disc release of the second SW prequel to October 21st (and will include a doco imaginatively titled "The Middle"). This would give it a good lead on other major titles like "Spider-Man" and "Minority Report" whose discs are due out in December.

What would you like to see on the DVD?
Do you think the "making of" for Episode III will be called The End?

PENDO!

LTBasker
03-12-2002, 03:21 PM
The end but a beginning, ROTJ is the real "end." :D

I don't care what they name it, as long as I am able to label it "Good." :happy:

pthfnder89
03-12-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

I don't care what they name it, as long as I am able to label it "Good." :happy:

Lol, well the good news is that that's pretty much a given. I mean look at the TPM DVD. Really bad movie, but the DVD is a must own for anybody who collects DVDs. It's as close to perfect as any set I've seen.

And since AOTC looks like it might actually be a good movie, the DVD should be awesome.:D

SQueek
03-12-2002, 07:22 PM
i was really dissapointed there was no uncut version of the final duel like there was of that pod race, i mean all they cut from that was garbage, all they vut from the duel was gold. did we get it back? NO!

chewie
03-12-2002, 10:58 PM
All the extra footage not in the E1 dvd will be put out, but in following re-releases of the discs. Just as with the tapes, these movies are gonna be milked for ever and then some.

pthfnder89
03-12-2002, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by SQueek
i was really dissapointed there was no uncut version of the final duel like there was of that pod race, i mean all they cut from that was garbage, all they vut from the duel was gold. did we get it back? NO!

If you mean actual fighting SQueek, I think you'd be disappointed by what might have been cut. I'm sure there are pieces that were snipped, but those fights took months to choreograph and film. It's not very likely they cut out anything great.

Co Jo-Da
03-13-2002, 01:16 AM
I hope that the 'Attack of the Clones' DVD is as full of features as TPM was...

Jek Porky 2002
03-13-2002, 03:22 PM
I'm sorry, but I can't see the Video or DVD being out in October or November, it just seems too early, I think it will be April like The Phantom Menace.

Beast
03-13-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
I'm sorry, but I can't see the Video or DVD being out in October or November, it just seems too early, I think it will be April like The Phantom Menace.
Well, the owner of the Home Theater forum, a guy wth alot of contacts in the DVD industry is assuring people over at his site that the DVD is being worked on now, for release this Oct. or Nov. and his contacts have been correct about other stuff, like this years Back to the Future DVD release, etc. Normally any movie is released on VHS and DVD 5-6 months after it opens in theaters, including movies that are still playing theatricaly, i.e. Titanic. :D Here is two of his posts:

Ronald Epstein, Central New Jersey, Owner
[7532 posts] Member Since: July 4th, 1997

You will have EP2 THIS YEAR- 'Nuff said

and

Ronald Epstein, Central New Jersey, Owner
[7532 posts] Member Since: July 4th, 1997

Actually, the disc is being worked on as we speak.
I would not lie to you about this!
You'll see it at year's end!
Honest!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
03-13-2002, 03:53 PM
Well I hope it is in Oct or Nov. Personally I dont want to wait as long as we did for TPM on video.

Jek Porky 2002
03-13-2002, 04:59 PM
Well I hope so, I also don't want to wait as long as we did for TPM, I wasn't saying that I want it to come out in April, I just thought that's when it would be out.

Co Jo-Da
03-13-2002, 06:09 PM
Don't you just love the digital technology...

mark2d2
03-13-2002, 06:52 PM
I hope they include the web mockumentary on my beloved R2D2. I only saw a few parts of this. And thought it was very funny.

But they missed the boat in one aspect. The should have shown bogus screentest footage of other astro droids (like R5D4) vying for the coveted role. And then had them beeping angrily away in "new" footage-- still bitter after all these years.

That would have cracked me up.

2-1B
03-14-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by JangoFett96
Well I hope it is in Oct or Nov. Personally I dont want to wait as long as we did for TPM on video.

Agreed :)

If it isn't too much to ask, I'd like to know by June if and when it is being released. If October is the street date I will probably cut back on the number of theater showings I plan on taking in.

Co Jo-Da
03-14-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
If October is the street date I will probably cut back on the number of theater showings I plan on taking in.

Yeah that is true but you can't beat seeing Star Wars in a theater, you could have the best home equipment in the world but it still doesn't beat the theater...

2-1B
03-14-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
Yeah that is true but you can't beat seeing Star Wars in a theater, you could have the best home equipment in the world but it still doesn't beat the theater...

No argument there, but it comes down to volume. Over the course of the summer I could very well take in upwards of 20 showings, so if the DVD is comin' out at a reasonable time, I could probably cut back to a dozen showings (all numbers approximate :D )

Beast
05-16-2002, 05:42 PM
This story from the Associated Press confirms that the DVD will be out this fall, as original rumors suggested. From the lips of Lucas himself. As pint sized Anakin Skywalker once said, "Yipeee!"

SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (AP) - The new "Star Wars" movie is hitting DVD at light speed compared with "The Phantom Menace."

"Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones" will be available on DVD this fall, the franchise's creator, George Lucas, said last week in an interview at his film headquarters, Skywalker Ranch.

"Episode I The Phantom Menace" came out on videotape early in 2000, about 10 months after the film's theatrical debut, but the DVD version was not released until a year and a half later. The delay resulted because Lucas was particular about refining deleted material and other DVD bonuses and was busy working on "Episode II."

Lucas said he'd rather hold off on the "Attack of the Clones" DVD, as well, so he could spend more time tweaking the bonus material.

"But everybody says, `Oh, it's so much more powerful if you bring it out in the same year as the movie,'" Lucas said. "So we're doing our best to do that."

Unfortunately for "Star Wars" fans, the original trilogy will not land on DVD until after Lucas finishes "Episode III," due out in 2005, he said.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

hango fett
05-18-2002, 06:34 PM
i hope this isn't out there already, but if it is, sorry. i heard november sometime...has GL realesed a date yet?

Beast
05-18-2002, 06:38 PM
Just give the search function a try:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4777

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8298

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediDan
05-18-2002, 07:00 PM
Lucas just stated the other day that AOTC IS coming out this fall, but does anyone know if he said the date or not??

hango fett
05-18-2002, 07:49 PM
thank you jarjarbinks!

hango fett
05-18-2002, 07:52 PM
do you know how many more re-releases of all 6 are going to be out before it's all said and done?

plo koon 200
05-18-2002, 11:27 PM
Rick McCallum said at C2 that they had already spent a year making it.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
05-19-2002, 01:09 AM
This is what I think it needs

Lucas commentary
R2-D2 Beneath the Dome series
E2 Theatrical Trailers and TV previews
Hours of documentary
Lucasfilm's coverage of Celebration 2 (video cam point of view)

Jargo
05-19-2002, 07:13 AM
Rick McCallum said recently that George would continue tweaking the saga forever. The way an artist might repaint parts of a painting they aren't happy with. I guess that as new technologies become available Lucas will redo sections he was unable to do right or the way he wanted to originally. Sequences of battle may alter subtly when he can make visuals work better. The explosion of Alderaan may get bigger and more showy. The rancor may become digitally enhanced to remove the black lines around it. Yoda may become CGI in all the movies. The Bespin duel between Vader and Luke may become more showy as well as the final duel on the death star. The possibilities of what he can tweak are endless as is the chance that he will end up gilding the lily. I would rather he spent his time reworking the cut scenes into the movies. Things like the cut Aunt Beru scene or the Biggs encounter at Toshi station. The family scenes on Naboo, the lost twenty dialogue. Padme's triumphal return to the senate after the assasination attempt. Scenes that build the human side of the movies and expand upon the characters. the saga aspect rather than the theatricalities of a fancy special effects light show.
Special effects are a big part of the saga but they aren't the sum of the parts. The characters have to be given back their real human moments.

Pendo
05-19-2002, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
R2-D2 Beneath the Dome series

I don't think this will be in it because of the bad language:
"Out of my way you Scottish @$%*&." LMAO at Nick Gillard :D.

The language could be edited though.

I hope all the "On location" and "Making of" documentaries from starwars.com are on it.
I also hope there is another blooper reel :).

PENDO!

Croaker
05-20-2002, 08:19 AM
The fact that he is going to "tweak" the movies continually makes me value my THX widescreen version even more.
None of the crappy additions.

They have been shooting more scenes to add to the original trilogy while working on epII. Probably Lars homestead stuff.
He might recolour the lightsabers in ANH as well - make them brighter.

JEDIpartner
05-20-2002, 09:11 AM
I agree with Jargo (so what else is new?). The more "intimate" scenes of family life make the film a little more "real" and human. Inspite of war or senatorial debates, life DOES exist. These moments are the things that help define a character and gives us insight into what makes them tick. For as much as TPM was loathed by the majority, the scenes of Anakin and Shmi really helped set up the Anakin character for AOTC.

Anyhow... no one gives a flying fig about my ideas anyhow, so I'll just shut up. I'm looking forward to the DVD and I hope that it continues in the vein of the TPM DVD, for continuity's sake. Really... what more could we ask for?

stillakid
05-20-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
The end but a beginning, ROTJ is the real "end." :D

Well, considering that it'll be impossible to watch them in Episode order, Ep III really is the end.

stillakid
05-20-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I agree with Jargo (so what else is new?). The more "intimate" scenes of family life make the film a little more "real" and human. Inspite of war or senatorial debates, life DOES exist. These moments are the things that help define a character and gives us insight into what makes them tick. For as much as TPM was loathed by the majority, the scenes of Anakin and Shmi really helped set up the Anakin character for AOTC.

Anyhow... no one gives a flying fig about my ideas anyhow, so I'll just shut up. I'm looking forward to the DVD and I hope that it continues in the vein of the TPM DVD, for continuity's sake. Really... what more could we ask for?

Of course your ideas matter!

I don't mind tweaks in the movies so long as they don't ruin established story and plot elements that were great in the first place. It's one thing to add in new shots of X-Wings flying over the Death Star...it's another to have Greedo shoot first.

I'd like to see a DVD with a menu of options where you could click off the various versions of shots, dialogue, and/or scenes that you prefer to see. For instance, click Greedo shoots first or click Original version. Or click Special Edition version of Vader saying "Inform my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" or click Original version. That sort of thing. That way, fans could customize Star Wars to their preferences using the variety of released versions and cut scenes as well. Lucas always claimed to be a soldier for the democratization of filmmaking. What better way to put the power in the hands of the audience than to let them decide what they want to see.

Jedi Clint
05-20-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by stillakid

Well, considering that it'll be impossible to watch them in Episode order, Ep III really is the end.

I think I will watch them in order. I'll bet that many other people will do the same. Tell me how that will be "impossible".

stillakid
05-20-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint

I think I will watch them in order. I'll bet that many other people will do the same. Tell me how that will be "impossible".

ALL of the surprises that kept us on the edges of our seats in the OT are given away by the prequels. Isn't that obvious? Had he started making these at #1, then I'm sure that 4-6 would be entirely different movies, but he didn't. He created them with a certain flow of information that will be meaningless if you already know the secrets. Sure, you could watch them 1-6, but instead of becoming emotionally invested in the characters and situations in 4-6, the audience will be reduced to simply watching the events flash on the screen in front of them. In fact, just look at many of the "hint hint" "nudge nudge" moments Lucas tossed into TPM and AOTC. A lot of "remember this?" stuff going on. TONS of foreshadowing too, and not always as subtle as he thinks he's being.

2-1B
05-20-2002, 12:06 PM
I'll watch them in order. :)

I do not disagree that the surprises will be ruined for a new audience. I know some people who still have not watched any SW movies, and when they say they might rent TPM I advise them to start with 4.

Then again, they might be surprised at Anakin's fate if they watch the prequels first.

But since I do know what's going to happen in every movie (excluding Ep III), it doesn't matter to me what order I watch them in. Actually, I don't see myself doing too many 5/6 movie marathons. :D

Jedi Clint
05-20-2002, 12:32 PM
I don't see any suprises ruined yet. Perhaps you should list specific examples.

2-1B
05-20-2002, 12:56 PM
I'm only referring to the "big 2" of Vader's identity and the Leia/Luke sibling thing that have been discussed in earlier threads. I'm not sure what other surprises there are . . .

stillakid
05-20-2002, 01:06 PM
I'm only referring to the "big 2" of Vader's identity and the Leia/Luke sibling thing that have been discussed in earlier threads. I'm not sure what other surprises there are . . .

If those aren't enough, then nothing is that important I guess.

Jedi Clint
05-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Those haven't been ruined. So what is the problem?

IcebergSlim
05-20-2002, 03:10 PM

By Episode 3 it will be fairly obvious that Luke & Leia are the children of Vader....

Jedi Clint
05-20-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by IcebergSlim

By Episode 3 it will be fairly obvious that Luke & Leia are the children of Vader....

I doubt that. There is no evidence that this IS what will transpire. It might. Since it hasn't and there is no proof that it will, then (as I said) there is no problem regarding the revelation of OT "secrets" in the PT.

Toad
05-20-2002, 04:30 PM

Well, not yet anyway. I'm hoping that Ep. III will leave SOME kind of secret involving Vader, so that Ep. IV has a little more power to it. Also, if we see that Padme has twins, that does "ruin" things for Ep. VI. Those are the two biggest surprises, arguably, of the OT. Should they be revealed instead in Ep.III, those installments won't be as powerful.

A'Sharad Hett
05-20-2002, 04:51 PM
I think the EPII DVD should have a documentary on the life and times of poor Coleman Trebor, the most heroic, and... short lived of all the Jedi on the Council...heh

stillakid
05-20-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Toad

Well, not yet anyway. I'm hoping that Ep. III will leave SOME kind of secret involving Vader, so that Ep. IV has a little more power to it. Also, if we see that Padme has twins, that does "ruin" things for Ep. VI. Those are the two biggest surprises, arguably, of the OT. Should they be revealed instead in Ep.III, those installments won't be as powerful.

Yes, perhaps I spoke too soon, but at the pace this story is going, I fear that a) Ep III will show us Anakin becoming Vader (that would SUCK!) and b) Ep III will show us the babies. There is a way to write Ep III to avoid those revelations, but with Lucas's heavyhanded storytelling style, I suspect that he'll go for the "marketable" solution and do some lame-*** sequence with the mask going on Ani's busted up head. :eek:

Jedi Clint
05-20-2002, 06:19 PM

Yes, perhaps I spoke too soon, but at the pace this story is going, I fear that a) Ep III will show us Anakin becoming Vader (that would SUCK!) and b) Ep III will show us the babies. There is a way to write Ep III to avoid those revelations, but with Lucas's heavyhanded storytelling style, I suspect that he'll go for the "marketable" solution and do some lame-*** sequence with the mask going on Ani's busted up head. :eek:

I knew there was something we'd agree on :).

I don't, however, think there is a problem with showing Padme and "Anakin Skywalker's" son.

Beast
05-20-2002, 07:33 PM
TheDigitalBits has a tentative release date confirmed for Episode II on DVD and Video. It looks like it will be avaliable on Novemeber 26th. Oh, and if you liked that other movie, Spider-man as well...it's coming out November 5th. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
05-20-2002, 11:22 PM

I knew there was something we'd agree on :).

I don't, however, think there is a problem with showing Padme and "Anakin Skywalker's" son.

But how could that be written without giving away the daughter?

Jedi Clint
05-20-2002, 11:34 PM
There was one scene filmed in Tunisia for E3. Rumor has it that it was a robed Jedi delivering a bundle to the lars homestead (exterior shot). If they wrote in Obi Wan dropping Luke off at the Lar's residence, he could tell them that the boy is Anakin and Padme's. "He is our only hope." That wouldn't spoil anything. Just one bright spot at the end of an otherwise dark film.

2-1B
05-20-2002, 11:36 PM
Any suggestions on how to do it without causing confusion re: Ben's ANH "Darth Vader vs. Anakin Skywalker" talk with Luke?

edit: Jedi Clint, I didn't mean that in response to your last post, just the general discussion of keeping secrets. :)

Jedi Clint
05-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Gotcha Caesar. You know I draw a line between hints and confirmation though. Obi Wan's little discussion with Luke may trigger someone's suspicions, but it doesn't confirm anything.

stillakid
05-21-2002, 12:17 AM
Any suggestions on how to do it without causing confusion re: Ben's ANH "Darth Vader vs. Anakin Skywalker" talk with Luke?

edit: Jedi Clint, I didn't mean that in response to your last post, just the general discussion of keeping secrets. :)

I wrote my own version on how this SHOULD be done, not that Lucas has any intention of doing it right or anything. ;) Read it here:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=89230#post89230

Jedi Clint
05-21-2002, 12:25 AM
I think we have the same basic ideas regarding this issue stillakid.

Beast
05-21-2002, 12:29 AM
Or, people could always watch them in the order they were made. After all, how many people do you know that watch Godfather II, before they watch The Godfather. Besides, at this point in time, the whole Anakin is Vader is Luke and Leia's daddy isn't a shock to anyone anyway. It will still be regarded as a shock in the future, but instead of the audiance being shocked, they can enjoy the shock that Luke feels, when Vader reveals the truth to him that they knew Kenobi and Yoda lied to him about in ANH and ESB. :)

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-21-2002, 12:35 AM
I hate it when they chop up the GF films and show them "chronologically" on TV. Why did I watch on TV, you ask? Because my dad told me there was a new scene or two, so I wanted to see it.

Thanks for the link stillakid, I agree we shouldn't see Padme dying.

JEDIpartner
05-21-2002, 12:10 PM
Well... it appears that Wal*Mart has the DVD slated for 26.11.02. We'll see if that is correct soon enough!

Pendo
05-21-2002, 12:18 PM
I hope the DVD is released in the UK first (like TPM was :)). But if it isn't I hope it's not much longer after it's release in the US (or where ever).

PENDO!

mrcamaro63
05-22-2002, 02:29 PM
I heard on mancows morning radio show that ther is a dvd quality version of the movie on the internet allready any one know if that is true??????

JediDan
05-22-2002, 06:04 PM
Yes I just read on IGN.com that 11.26.02 is the release date for AOTC. they also have the Back to the Future Trilogy posted for 12.17.02. Wha who!!!!! Finally!!! :D

JEDIpartner
05-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Back to the Future??? Finally!!!!!!

Freedom
05-22-2002, 09:56 PM
George Lucas is gonna keep "tweaking" the saga just like Michael Jackson keeps "tweaking" his face. 'Til it all falls apart.

JEDIpartner
05-23-2002, 09:40 AM
Oooh... nice analogy.

stillakid
05-23-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Freedom
George Lucas is gonna keep "tweaking" the saga just like Michael Jackson keeps "tweaking" his face. 'Til it all falls apart.

I'd hate to see either...pretty gruesome imagery.:dead:

darthvyn
05-23-2002, 01:20 PM
only problem with keeping the secrets of OT intact is that the secrets will be told before they are supposed to be in the OT. if you want to keep the revelation that vader is luke's father in empire, then we have to cut out any mention of luke's last name in a new hope. granted that's only the scene where he introduces himself to leia in the detention block, but still, it's a lot less of a dramatic revelation than the end of empire (maybe if we digitally changed his name to luke lars?.) i really don't think we will not see anakin become vader. sorry, it will happen, and i think it will be awesome.

however, it is completely possible to keep the secret of leia as vader's daughter and luke's sister. we don't have to see that padme has twins, we can be shown just one child... i actually would like this to be true. i think this is the only one that would work, however.

don't get me wrong, stilakid, i like the idea of keeping the vader/luke, and anakin/vader secrets, i just don't think it will be plausible and will lead to poor storytelling. plus, 1-6 is the story of anakin and to skip over the darkest moment in his story (when he becomes vader) would be too bad.

i also like jar jar's comment:

"instead of the audiance being shocked, they can enjoy the shock that Luke feels, when Vader reveals the truth to him that they knew Kenobi and Yoda lied to him about in ANH and ESB."

we are in on it, and we see his anguish in a whole new light...

Jedi Clint
05-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Vader wears a mask and has a different voice than Anakin Skywalker. The only ways the audience will have Vader's identity (if we see him at the end of 3) confirmed are:

Someone says about him, "You used to be Anakin Skywalker." or something similar.

Vader says, "I used to be Anakin Skywalker." or something similar.

Or we see some sequence of him being put in the suit.

Anything less would be a hint at his identity, not confirmation.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-23-2002, 03:31 PM
After seeing the last clip behind-the-scenes clip of EP2, I now realize that there are 12 total. There were 12 for EP1, so I suppose they'll also put these on the next DVD.

Has anyone heard how they'll format this disc? I bet they'll do it similarly to the EP1 set. Maybe these 12 will have the battle droid conveyor belt as a background. There could be 12 chunks of metal to be formed or 12 droids going down the line to where the head is assembled. Each "head" could be a screen shot of a clip with the clip title superimposed and you select them like you do on the EP1 disc. Or it could be Jocasta Nu or OB1 grabbing a book off of a shelf in the Jedi archives.

BanthaPoodoo
05-23-2002, 03:31 PM
Anakin being DV in EIII is confirmed by both, HC, GL, & James Earl Jones.

There has been info that JEJ will have a speaking role only (Duh) in the next movie. As well as HC saying it is going to be cool to be able to wear the mask.

***edit:*** I just became a Jedi Knight!!!!!!!!

stillakid
05-23-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by BanthaPoodoo
Anakin being DV in EIII is confirmed by both, HC, GL, & James Earl Jones.

There has been info that JEJ will have a speaking role only (Duh) in the next movie. As well as HC saying it is going to be cool to be able to wear the mask.

***edit:*** I just became a Jedi Knight!!!!!!!!

Well, and I mean this from the bottom of my heart, that f'ing sucks huge donkey d's if it's true. Lucas has one more shot at saving his great trilogy from his own sabatoge, but inserting Vader into III will absolutely f it up. I just don't get it. He used to care about the stories he told, at least that was the impression he gave. Now, he appears to not give a shoot and is willing to "sell out" and dish whatever looks the "coolest" on-screen, story be damned.

JEDIpartner
05-23-2002, 11:03 PM
There was one scene filmed in Tunisia for E3. Rumor has it that it was a robed Jedi delivering a bundle to the lars homestead (exterior shot)...

While this may be true... Both Joel Edgerton and Bonnie Piesse have stated that they were not filmed for any scenes in EPISODE III, nor have they been asked to appear in EPISODE III at this point. I suppose we'll have to see if George and Robin feel any need to call them back up for some more shots!

2-1B
05-24-2002, 01:42 AM
Playing McCallum's Devil's advocate here, it doesn't matter to me either way if Hayden runs around with the Vader dome on his head. If they film it using only clues, fine.
If they show all of those secrets, I'll just be glad that Lucas filmed them in the order he did, preserving all surprises until '83 and then going back with the intention since '94 (or earlier) of showing the full monty of Anakin's genesis into Vader.

I do value the argument that they shouldn't show blatant confirmations on screen, but I never even considered it a real possibility to begin with.

plo koon 200
05-24-2002, 07:29 PM
I belive it will be known that Luke is Anakin's son but Anakin falls in lava. The audience thinks he's dead. As a matter of fact when Vader tells Luke he's his father the audience wont belive it because they know Luke is Anakin's son. Not Vader's. Vader is a villian to them.

stillakid
05-24-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by plo koon 200
I belive it will be known that Luke is Anakin's son but Anakin falls in lava. The audience thinks he's dead. As a matter of fact when Vader tells Luke he's his father the audience wont belive it because they know Luke is Anakin's son. Not Vader's. Vader is a villian to them.

...until Lucas screws it all up by introducing a BrAnD NeW character in Act III of Episode III, a dark lord who "mysteriously" appears from somewhere (ooh, I wonder where? :rolleyes: ) right after Anakin appears to "die.":cry:

Jek Porky 2002
06-09-2002, 03:31 PM
Has it been confirmed that the Episode II DVD is released in October or is it just a load of rumours?

Beast
06-09-2002, 03:34 PM
November 26th, is the date that I have heard from most of the big DVD Websites.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8298

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Croaker
06-10-2002, 10:27 AM
Why is everyone so concerned about the secret of Vader's identity?
Everybody in the whole damn world knows that Vader is Luke's father.
It's not a secret.
Hey, if they can joke about it on the Simpsons...
There is no point in hiding his identity.
The interesting part of this story to be told IS his transformation into Vader!

stillakid
06-10-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Croaker
Why is everyone so concerned about the secret of Vader's identity?
Everybody in the whole damn world knows that Vader is Luke's father.
It's not a secret.
Hey, if they can joke about it on the Simpsons...
There is no point in hiding his identity.
The interesting part of this story to be told IS his transformation into Vader!

Let's review how to count from 1 -10 for a second. It goes like this:

Okay, got that? Run through it again if that was too fast.

Let's take an extra-special look at three numbers. For example, let's take 4...5...and 6. Let's suppose that there are "secrets" and "mysteries" "revealed" in those numbers, 4, 5, and 6. In story terms, those things are referred to as "drama", "excitement", "emotion", and "climax."

Let's go back to some other very special numbers. Let's go to the beginning, shall we? Try these, 1, 2, and 3. Take note that 1, 2 and 3 come before the numbers 4, 5, and 6. Let's suppose that those "surprises" and "mysteries" and "revelations" in the numbers 4, 5, and 6 that create "drama" and "excitement" and "emotion" resulting in "climax" are all given away in the numbers 1, 2, and 3. If that happens, then what is the point of even having numbers 4, 5, and 6 around in the first place?

2-1B
06-10-2002, 12:48 PM
Take note that 1, 2 and 3 come before the numbers 4, 5, and 6. Let's suppose that those "surprises" and "mysteries" and "revelations" in the numbers 4, 5, and 6 that create "drama" and "excitement" and "emotion" resulting in "climax" are all given away in the numbers 1, 2, and 3. If that happens, then what is the point of even having numbers 4, 5, and 6 around in the first place?

Because had he done 1-2-3 first, and then 4-5-6, he never would have crafted those surprises to begin with. :D

bigbarada
06-10-2002, 01:22 PM
November 26th? Wow, that's pretty quick, not that I'm complaining at all though. You do realize that this will be the second time in a row that a LOTR movie has had to compete against a Star Wars DVD release? Think ol' George is trying to suck the wind out of Peter Jackson's sails?

stillakid
06-10-2002, 01:25 PM

Because had he done 1-2-3 first, and then 4-5-6, he never would have crafted those surprises to begin with. :D

Exactly! Which means that without heavy doses of "fixing" of our present copies of the OT (which he promises that he's going to do), the only way to watch the saga and have it make any "dramatic" sense is in the order of production, not episode order.

How great would most murder mysteries be if they told you upfront who did it?

How interesting would American Grafitti have been if we knew up front that Steve stays and Kurt goes?

How suspenseful would ANH have been if we knew beforehand that Solo would return and blow away those TIE's so that Luke could fire those shots?

How cool would Memento have been if we knew upfront exactly what was going on?

How much suspense would have built during that long summer if we all knew who shot J.R.?

:crazed:

bigbarada
06-10-2002, 01:35 PM
What about the whole "dramatic irony" thing? Y'know where the audience knows what's going on but the characters don't? Shakespeare used it in Oedipus and Romeo and Juliet. Who's to say it won't work for Star Wars?

I dunno, just a thought.:confused:

Beast
06-10-2002, 02:15 PM
Exactly BigB, the revelation in Empire actually becomes more tragic, since instead of feeling your own shock for the revelation, you feel poor Luke's. Who has been lied to all his like by his uncle, about who his father was. His feelings of being misled by Obi-Wan, you understand his feellings more, because you have known the truth since the beginning. Sure, it's not the same feelings we felt seeing Empire the first time, but it still works, and much better IMHO. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
06-10-2002, 02:30 PM
Annotated screenplays to the rescue again!:D

A quote from GL regarding the direction of the prequels, from 1997, he starts off talking about defying conventions by not giving ESB a happy ending then mentions this about the prequels:

I'm dealing with the same dilemma in the first three movies; they're not what you might expect, but that's the story I want to tell and I've committed myself to it, so I'm just going to continue regardless of whether it's the wisest thing to do in terms of conventions.

Basically, this means that George is going to tell his story with or without us so we can do one of two things: a) not worry about it and sit back and enjoy new SW films while we can OR b) get all bent out of shape about what might happen and mourn this tragic missed opportunity.

I'll pick 'a' and wait until all versions of the movies are complete before deciding to judge whether GL did the right thing or not with the prequels. But that's just me.

wedgeA
06-11-2002, 07:09 AM
[Let's go back to some other very special numbers. Let's go to the beginning, shall we? Try these, 1, 2, and 3. Take note that 1, 2 and 3 come before the numbers 4, 5, and 6. Let's suppose that those "surprises" and "mysteries" and "revelations" in the numbers 4, 5, and 6 that create "drama" and "excitement" and "emotion" resulting in "climax" are all given away in the numbers 1, 2, and 3. If that happens, then what is the point of even having numbers 4, 5, and 6 around in the first place? [/B]

What about watching the films in production order? ANH is the most stand alone film in the saga and it lays the groundwork for everything, its a perfect springboard. Also, IMO the PT works better if the viewer knows what happens due to the tragic nature of the films. Hardly any film prequels (Godfather II, Temple of Doom) are meant to be seen before the originals. The whole episode number issue was not a big deal back in the day, and I think that some people, esp. GL, are giving them too much significance.

stillakid
06-11-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by wedgeA

What about watching the films in production order? ANH is the most stand alone film in the saga and it lays the groundwork for everything, its a perfect springboard. Also, IMO the PT works better if the viewer knows what happens due to the tragic nature of the films. Hardly any film prequels (Godfather II, Temple of Doom) are meant to be seen before the originals. The whole episode number issue was not a big deal back in the day, and I think that some people, esp. GL, are giving them too much significance.

I agree. There is now no way to watch the films in Episode order and hope to maintain the surprises and drama in the Original Trilogy. If Lucas recognizes the problem dialogue in the OT and then alters it accordingly somehow, then maybe these could be properly viewed 1-6, but I doubt that it'll happen. As it stands now, the Prequels are telegraphing Anakin's fate to such an extent that any new viewers in the future wouldn't be one bit surprised at Vader's "revelation" at the end of the ESB.

Jedi Clint
06-11-2002, 10:46 PM
I disagree.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-13-2002, 11:52 AM
Please move this discussion into another thread. It absolutely adds zero to the topic of the DVD and its release date.

Also, can we also leave the spoiler talk of EP3 to that thread? I'd rather not start delving into the whole James Earl Jones, Hayden, DV debate in a non-spoiler thread since other similar spoilers have ruined stuff for me and other SW fans.

Thanks guys.

Jedi Clint
06-13-2002, 12:51 PM
Sorry, MC. I agree that we should stay on topic, and keep the E3 spoilers in their proper location.

From this point in the discussion on, any post that contains E3 spoiler information will be edited for content.

Perhaps, with all the scenes that were cut from the theatrical release, we will end up with a 3 disc DVD! It seems like they will need an extra one JUST for the web documentaries, trailers, and goodies. Then of course have one for the movie and the 3rd for all the cut scenes. I guess it could fit on 2 discs, and I'd prefer it to fit in 1 DVD case.

stillakid
06-13-2002, 12:54 PM
Sorry, MC. I agree that we should stay on topic, and keep the E3 spoilers in their proper location.

Perhaps, with all the scenes that were cut from the theatrical release, we will end up with a 3 disc DVD! It seems like they will need an extra one JUST for the web documentaries, trailers, and goodies. Then of course have one for the movie and the 3rd for all the cut scenes. I guess it could fit on 2 discs, and I'd prefer it to fit in 1 DVD case.

By the time GL gets around to it, there'll be a chip you can implant in your brain instead of using that silly ancient DVD technology! ;) "Silver disks!?! Bwah ha ha ha!":crazed:

Beast
06-13-2002, 01:00 PM
Around to what Stillikid, the AOTC's DVD is coming out November 26th. And no worries Jedi Clint, there is plenty of room on DVD's for everything. A double layered DVD can hold well over 4 hours of Video. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
06-13-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Around to what Stillikid, the AOTC's DVD is coming out November 26th. And no worries Jedi Clint, there is plenty of room on DVD's for everything. A double layered DVD can hold well over 4 hours of Video. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

You're right. I mistakenly was referring to the OT for home release. Oops.

mylow thehutt
07-03-2002, 11:47 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1546278740

Just found this on ebay,what ya think?:)

Jonna
07-03-2002, 11:50 AM
The real thing, hu....I guess we'll see when it comes out and we'll only have to pay $20 for it.

billfremore
07-03-2002, 12:00 PM
Or you could go to the movies and pay $20 to see it now. ;)

Beast
07-03-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by mylow thehutt
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1546278740
Just found this on ebay,what ya think?:)

This is the real thing! You are bidding on an official copy of the mega hit movie STAR WARS, Episode 2, Attack of the Clones on DVD! Item is Opened, viewed once by 20th Century Fox Executives for quality check and gauranteed to be in MINT condition! This is not the cheap bootleg with poor picture quality or a VCD you usually find on eBay. The film is presented in digital DVD quality with anamorphic widescreen and digitally mastered 5.1 surround sound! It is an ALL REGION disc and will play on any DVD player Be sure to check out my other listings in auction of Scooby-Doo and Spider-Man, all of which are guaranteed to be in the same great quality as this one! Good Luck!!!

*Cough*Bootleg*Cough* It may not be a "cheap" bootleg, but it's still a bootleg. For one, the official dvd won't have DTS sound and should have a THX logo on it somewhere. Secondly, if it really was a check disc, the DVD wouldnt have full artwork on it, as well as having a full artwork case, that doesn't match the usual Star Wars case style. :greedy:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-03-2002, 01:09 PM
Jar Jar,

You ought to put in your sig that you are the DVD expert of these forums! :D

pthfnder89
07-03-2002, 01:11 PM

*Cough*Bootleg*Cough* It may not be a "cheap" bootleg, but it's still a bootleg. For one, the dvd won't have DTS sound. Secondly, if it really was a check disc, the DVD wouldnt have full artwork on it, as well as having a full artwork case, that doesn't match the usual Star Wars case style. :greedy:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exactly. There's no reason why they would create cover art for a check disc. They're supposed to be functional, not impressive.

And why would they master the sound in DTS? Lucas doesn't use DTS in his home theatre products. If he were going to start, he would have started with The Phantom Menace. He has a stronger relationship with Dolby.

This is a fake, and the person who paid over $300 for it is going to feel like an idiot.

jedibear
07-07-2002, 12:20 AM
Sticking with the DVD portion of the topic (not that the other discussion wasn't good reading, but....)

I'm thrilled that we're getting AOTC so soon on DVD....not that I won't still cram as many theatre viewings as I can before it leaves my area theatre, but it'll be a blast to stop those densely detailed scenes (like the final battles) for closer examination...

The only negative thing about the DVD hitting so soon is that it's going to make the wait for Episode III seem even longer (kinda like waiting for ROTJ in the '80s)...

Ah, progress!

Beast
07-07-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Jar Jar, You ought to put in your sig that you are the DVD expert of these forums! :D
No thanks DeadEye, I don't think the forums could handle another egomaniac. :rolleyes: :p

(My avatar is me with a lightsaber!)DeadEye: The SSG forum's Star Wars trivia expert, #1 source of gun information, greatest fan fiction author, ultimate ladies' man, ultimate avatar maker, and #1 FPS gamer. Period. So feel free to ask me advice on any of the above...I'll be glad to help!
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
07-08-2002, 01:47 PM
Jar Jar,

You ought to put in your sig that you are the DVD expert of these forums! :D

I think that's obvious just from the amount of info JarJar posts. He doesn't need to say he's a DVD expert, because we already know it. Actions speak louder than words, yadda, yadda, yadda...

billfremore
07-08-2002, 01:52 PM

No thanks DeadEye, I don't think the forums could handle another egomaniac. :rolleyes: :p

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Jonna
07-08-2002, 01:56 PM
Oh cr@p! Here we go again!

Jedi Clint
07-08-2002, 02:10 PM
Hey Jonna,

Why do I get the feeling that "someone set us up the bomb"?

Jonna
07-08-2002, 02:30 PM
ZAG!!!!

Jedi Knightrider
07-13-2002, 06:55 PM
Launch every zig for great justice!

DeadEye
07-13-2002, 10:40 PM
My goodness. I'm just some sort of hatred magnet, aren't I? :frus:

Pendo
07-17-2002, 04:42 PM
Has anybody heard anything if the UK version of the DVD will contain the 2 seconds of Jango/Obi-Wan fight that was cut from the cinema release? I know it's not much of a cut, but my pirate copy (or bootleg to everyone else) has that 2 seconds on it and the fight just aint the same without it.

PENDO!

DeadEye
07-17-2002, 08:32 PM
It's actually only one second--and even if it's not reincorporated into the UK release, you'll be able to see it in the "Jango Fett: Bounty Hunter" TV spot that's included. :p

Pendo
07-18-2002, 08:04 AM
It's actually only one second--and even if it's not reincorporated into the UK release, you'll be able to see it in the "Jango Fett: Bounty Hunter" TV spot that's included. :p

Our version of the TV Spot don't have it either :mad::mad::mad:!!!!!

PENDO!

DeadEye
07-18-2002, 08:09 AM
Oh, wow! Are you serious? Now that's a damn shame! :D

Nebulaz
07-19-2002, 10:00 PM
What kind of food are you gonna eat while watching it??? I will probably eat my all time favorite food: scrabbled eggs with cheese.

Jeremy

Beast
07-19-2002, 10:11 PM
And this is an Episode III spoiler how? :confused:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
07-19-2002, 10:17 PM
Great question!

When I came home to watch the TPM DVD on October 16th, I nuked a giant can of Franco-American spaghetti and enjoyed that during the features.

AOTC DVD ? Haven't decided yet . . . :D

LTBasker
07-19-2002, 10:22 PM
Hmm...hopefully a couple foot long Subway sandwiches. Though probably an "It's pasta any time" with pinne or spaghetti.

I'll need something that'll last though, cause I plan on going through all the features in one sitting like I did with E1. :D

Pendo
07-20-2002, 04:26 AM
When going to see AOTC at the cinema I realised that I don't eat while watching Star Wars. I've never noticed before but as soon as Star Wars starts I put down my popcorn, or whatever, and just watch the film without thinking of food. It's very strange :crazed:. I might TRY and eat something but don't know what yet.

PENDO!

Beast
07-20-2002, 10:46 AM
I'll probably do what I usually do, either get a couple Papa John's Pizzas or maybe a couple Jimmy John's Gargantuan Subs and a couple of their big dill pickles. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-20-2002, 03:16 PM
I didn't eat anything for the TPM VHS or DVD release, so I doubt I'd do something different this time. :D

Pendo
07-21-2002, 08:04 AM
BlackStar.co.uk (http://www.blackstar.co.uk) claim that the UK version of the DVD is expected to be released on the 4th November. Does this mean we will be getting it a couple of weeks earlier than anywhere else?

I hope it DOESN'T come out on 4th November because Red Dwarf Series I also comes out on DVD on that date, and I wouldn't know what to watch first :crazed:.

PENDO!

Beast
07-21-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
BlackStar.co.uk (http://www.blackstar.co.uk) claim that the UK version of the DVD is expected to be released on the 4th November. Does this mean we will be getting it a couple of weeks earlier than anywhere else?

I hope it DOESN'T come out on 4th November because Red Dwarf Series I also comes out on DVD on that date, and I wouldn't know what to watch first :crazed:.

PENDO!
That's what I heard from TheDigitalBits also Pendo. Sounds likely, UK occassionally gets things earlier then the states DVD wise. But until Lucasfilm makes an official announcement in a few weeks.

You guys over there are lucky on the Red Dwarf series. Here in the states they delayed it until Febuary. But we will get both Season 1 and Season 2 on the same day. November also has the big LOTR's boxset, 1st season of Babylon 5, and South Park Season 1. :eek: :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 08:38 AM
According to TF.N, the AOTC DVD is coming out Nov. 12, not the 26! :D

Geonosian
07-25-2002, 08:44 AM
Great news. :)

Pendo
07-25-2002, 08:58 AM
What's this about us brits getting it on the 16th??? Play.com (http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=105244) are saying we're getting it on the 16th, where as Blackstar (http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7300000000018) are saying we're getting it on the 4th! I hope Blackstar are right, even if it does mean having to choose between Red Dwarf and Star Wars!!! Star Wars would win!!

PENDO!

hango fett
07-25-2002, 09:04 AM
great!!!!! not long to wait now!

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 11:33 AM
Yes, I believe TF.N mentioned it would come out on the 16th in the UK.

2-1B
07-25-2002, 01:10 PM
Why are there new threads about this?

Beast
07-25-2002, 01:25 PM
Why are there new threads about this?
Because DeadEye likes to clutter the forums up, and make the moderator's job harder having to go thru and merge everything? That's my guess anyway. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 02:03 PM
What are you talking about?

Jek Porky 2002
07-25-2002, 03:09 PM
First of all I think it's better to start new threads for new subjects because we can spend less time sifting thru a load of off-topic crap and get straight to the bloody point.

Secondly, it's more likely to be out over here on the 18th because thats the nearest monday, the 16th is a Saturday and I don't think theyd bother with a special saturday release. So if its true its only 17 weeks to go!

DeadEye
07-25-2002, 03:14 PM
Well, yeah! Just over 4 months! :D

Jedi Clint
07-25-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
First of all I think it's better to start new threads for new subjects because we can spend less time sifting thru a load of off-topic crap and get straight to the bloody point.

We move "off topic" threads to the appropriate forum when the situation calls for it.

jedibear
07-26-2002, 02:20 AM
On the DVD....

Has anyone heard weather or not any of the deleted scenes are going to be re-incorpprated into the film like EpOne's taxi ride & pod race lap?

Beast
07-26-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by jedibear
On the DVD....
Has anyone heard weather or not any of the deleted scenes are going to be re-incorpprated into the film like EpOne's taxi ride & pod race lap?
There are rumors right now that a couple scenes will be. I know that it's going to atleast be the digital version of the film. So there will be the changes in the wedding scene, among others. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Geonosian
07-26-2002, 07:29 AM
Will the Plo mission be in the dVd?

DeadEye
07-26-2002, 09:05 AM
Jar Jar, why did you just say that? You told me that none of the scenes would be re-incorporated!

Beast
07-26-2002, 09:26 AM
No DeadEye, I told you that Lucas isn't going to re-incorperate all of the scenes back into the movie. But if the E1 DVD shows anything, it;s possible that he could toss in a few extra minutes. Hopefully the "Lost 20 Speech" and "Trial On Geonosis" will be re-incorpertaed. Maybe some of the cut arena battle also.

Of course Lucas could choose not to add anything more, but it's still going to be the Digital Theater Version that does have 70+ changes. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-26-2002, 11:23 AM
What do you mean? Digital Theater Version with 70+ changes? What are you talking about?

Beast
07-26-2002, 01:17 PM
Lucas had extra time to work on the Digital Version, because they don't have to strike film prints of it. That version was only shown in Digital theaters, and it has 70+ differences in the movie, according to Rick McCallum. One of them is well known, the fact that Padme grasps and holds Anakin's mechanical hand at the end of the movie when they kiss. Instead of it just hanging at his side like in the regular theatrical edition. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-26-2002, 01:55 PM
Well, what are the other 69 changes?

Beast
07-26-2002, 02:02 PM
Rick McCallum won't say. It's likely just lil things like minor special effects tweaks and things of that nature. If it was really easy to spot, there would be a thread here in the forums that listed accuratly all the differences. Most likely we will hear them comment on the tweaks in the DVD Audio Commentary. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-26-2002, 02:39 PM
Yeah. I've seen AOTC 3 times:
-Once in a standard theater
-Once in a standard theater but with digital speakers
-Once with everything digital

And actually, I think in all 3 versions I saw, Padme did not take Anakin's hand.

Beast
07-27-2002, 10:08 PM
According to Dan Beecher, an administrator at HomeTheaterForum.Com, it looks like there will be 3 scenes re-incorperated into the movie for the DVD release. Here is the quote. I will bold the relevent section. I'll post this in the Droid Control Ship thread also, since it's signifigant to the discussion. :)

This issue was actually raised in this recent thread, however I'll leave this one open as it concentrates fully on this specific issue (where as the other one was more about the release date).

We're probably going to get NEITHER theatrical edition. It was said by one of the folks at ILM at Celebration 2 that three additional scenes had nearly been finished to be put back in for the DVD, we're clearly going to get a slightly extended cut as we did with TPM if true.

So if that becomes the case, people will surely argue over not having the original theatrical release. They of course will be faced with the issue that there were two different theatrical releases.

Dan
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
07-28-2002, 06:41 AM
I wonder if Lucas edits his movies for the cinema with the re-incorperated scenes for the DVD in mind?

PENDO!

DeadEye
07-28-2002, 08:19 AM
Possibly--because the inclusion of deleted scenes would rack up the DVD sales, as the AOTC DVD is being released at the same time as a great many other DVDs in November. Right, Jar Jar?

Beast
07-28-2002, 10:12 AM
Possibly--because the inclusion of deleted scenes would rack up the DVD sales, as the AOTC DVD is being released at the same time as a great many other DVDs in November. Right, Jar Jar?
It wouldn't rack up any more sales then if they didn't add stuff to the film. People are still going to buy it, no matter what. Infact for alot of the real hardcore videophiles, they may actually complain more, and not buy the film, because it's not the original theatrical cut. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-28-2002, 12:54 PM
Jar Jar--while that's true, what if a buyer only had money for one DVD, and they liked Star Wars as much as all the other movies coming out on DVD in November? Wouldn't Lucas want to give them the most bang for their buck?

Beast
07-28-2002, 12:59 PM
If he wanted to give the most bang for their buck, he would have done a 4-disc set, just like Lord of the Rings. He's not trying to compete with the other releases, and there is no reason he should. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
07-28-2002, 01:12 PM
Jar Jar--while that's true, what if a buyer only had money for one DVD, and they liked Star Wars as much as all the other movies coming out on DVD in November? Wouldn't Lucas want to give them the most bang for their buck?

Quit arguing with Jar Jar. He knows everything about everything and is always 100% correct everytime especially when it comes to Star Wars. Everyone in the free world is a Star Wars fan and will buy the DVD without question except for critics who just like to pick apart stories for sport. The movies are flawless as they are and require no further DVD extras to enhance their entertainment quality. In fact it's doubtful that video rental chains will even carry this title as everyone with home-entertainment capabilities will be standing in line to purchase this for their own libraries.

DeadEye
07-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Hey, you California boy, I wasn't arguing with Jar Jar, but rather stating a rhetorical question. And I met several people at Boys' State that didn't like Star Wars at all. :eek:

Beast
07-28-2002, 02:27 PM
No sense arguing with him DeadEye. He's one of those people that can't see the forest thru the trees. No matter how many times you give him facts and info that don't jive with his own opinon of the films, he will just ignore them and continue to post the same arguments ad-nausium. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
07-28-2002, 03:25 PM
Jar Jar--this guy sounds like how I used to be until I started taking your advice!

stillakid
07-29-2002, 11:36 AM
No sense arguing with him DeadEye. He's one of those people that can't see the forest thru the trees. No matter how many times you give him facts and info that don't jive with his own opinon of the films, he will just ignore them and continue to post the same arguments ad-nausium. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jar Jar,

I have put a lot of thought into what you've said above and will continue to think about it.

Perhaps you are right about one thing, I am not looking at "the forest" (the big picture) when it comes to the Prequels. I am truly looking at the individual "trees" that create the "forest." It is in those trees that I see flaws, many many many flaws that spoil what could have been a truly great "big picture."

Just as you do with the Prequels, I did with a film like Rollerball. That movie is laden with story and character problems, but I made the decision before I saw it that I would just let them wash over me so that I could enjoy it for the adrenaline rush I was after at that point. On the other hand, I chose not to do that with Star Wars because I respected the concept more than that.

I'm sure you have your own reasons for accepting the Prequel stories as they are and fully enjoying them for what they are. For anyone like that, I wouldn't dream of denying them that pleasure or that right. I truly believe that it's a wonderful thing. However, that does not give you license to A) deny that the problems exist and B) to personally attack me or anyone else simply for recognizing the problems and discussing them. Just because you may not want to see them is not a reason to suggest that your "factual" data instantly renders any and all critique as ignorant ridiculousness. You act as though I and others with the same questions went into the theater actually looking for reasons to not like it. Honestly, I really don't understand that train of thought unless it's a defense mechanism for yourself. I and others really want to enjoy every aspect of Star Wars. Why else would we be here talking about it and collecting the "stuff" that comes with it? Our presence alone is absolute proof that we want to enjoy what Star Wars has to offer. But when it comes up short in our expectations, it is to blame, not us. I've said that many times over and you are the one with blinders on to that statement. You just refuse to believe it because you want to believe so much in the pristine beauty of Lucas's creation.

Based upon your seemingly endless "knowledge" about every aspect of Star Wars, it is clear that you spend an inordinate amount of time researching the topic. Your devotion as a "fan" is not to be denied and that too is a truly great thing. Too many people in this world are without something they can call a passion. However, take care in being blinded by it so much that you begrudge the rest of us our desire in searching for a more fulfilling experience. Keep your hobby, have your fun in your own way, but allow others room to have theirs as well.