PDA

View Full Version : Anakin's journey toward the dark side.

JediDan
05-16-2002, 06:52 PM
You can really see the conflictions going on inside of him. It is so sad to see him start giving in to hate. The way he took revenge on the Tuskens was horrible.

Hayden did an excellent job in AOTC. I could really sense the pain Anakin was going through. It's good to know that in the end Anakin redeems himself though. Whew. :)

Battle Droid
05-16-2002, 06:54 PM
Yeah, though I don't like the way he treats Obi-Wan, I don't believe Obi-Wan is actually jealous of him.

ConvergeDW
05-16-2002, 07:01 PM
I thought it was excellant. The wrath he bestowed apon those unfortunate Sand People was one of my favorite parts of the movie. If only we could have seen more, maybe the women and the children.

jedihunter25
05-16-2002, 07:12 PM
Obi-Wan was kind of hard on him, plus the flying body parts are really cool. If Sand People killed my mother, I'd do the same.

Darth-AWT
05-16-2002, 07:42 PM
Anyone else feel a few tears coming on as Shmi died?

Or am I just a softy? :P

Fulit
05-16-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Darth-AWT
Anyone else feel a few tears coming on as Shmi died?
:P

No but the guy next to me was wiping tears away during the Anakin/Padme execution cart scene. He was an older man, who walked on those arm braces you see people with, which made me kind of sad :cry: It was really cool, though, to see like, a senior citizen even come to a Star Wars movie, let alone cry at a particular scene.

It was sickeningly fascinating to watch the beginning of Anakin's descent. It's cool because, it's not like he went to the dark side because he was a spoiled little baby that didn't get what he wanted from the Jedi, it's more like the situations presented themselves to him. One could watch what he went through and totally understand losing all reason, after what happened with his mom, and what's going to happen in E3...

:evil:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-16-2002, 09:53 PM
"I killed them all, not just the men. The women and children too."
Jeez Ani, how do you really feel about tusken raiders?

That part creeped the crap out of me. Thinking of Anakin with his saber through the chest of a five year old . . . "Dangerous and disturbing!"

Battle Droid
05-16-2002, 09:56 PM
It's sick.

browndroid
05-16-2002, 10:36 PM
yeah, my mom doesnt even want to go to ep3 cause she doesnt want to see him turn...it was kinda cool but kinda sick in the tusken raider scene

QLD
05-16-2002, 10:49 PM
The sick thing to me, was how he said he just killed 30 women and children......and Padme just patted him on the head like he admitted to stealing a candy bar.

Fulit
05-17-2002, 12:17 AM
I don't understand why anyone would feel sorry for a group of beings that seemingly have no regard for anyone but each other. Cliegg said it, "Those Tuskens, they walk like men, but they aren't men".

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 12:32 AM
Well what they did to Shmi wasn't right, no, but that doesn't give Anakin the right to kill children, or anyone for that matter, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Though it's important to the films that we see his RAGE come out, him becoming Darth Vader.

JediTricks
05-17-2002, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
The sick thing to me, was how he said he just killed 30 women and children......and Padme just patted him on the head like he admitted to stealing a candy bar. Yeah, I had the same feeling! That one was really off-putting for me, not in a good way.

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 12:38 AM
Yeah, that was really sick as well, maybe Padme is slowing turning to the Darkside along with Anakin.

"Luke I am your Mother!"

LTBasker
05-17-2002, 12:40 AM
It was interesting to see how it happened. He just walks out, ignites his lightsaber and lopps those two Tusken Raider's heads off.

I wonder if he was also getting a little revenge for shooting at his podracer and scratching the paint. :p (Well... :D)

Beast
05-17-2002, 12:40 AM
Or maybe she is so horrifed and disturbed by what he said he did, that she thinks the best thing is to comfort him. It's not like she's cheering him on, and telling him that he did a good job. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
05-17-2002, 12:44 AM
She's hugging him while he's turning into Hitler and crying. The boy ain't right and she's taking her cues from Dr Spock?!

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 12:48 AM
And then she even marrys the guy at the end.

2-1B
05-17-2002, 02:08 AM
I thought the scene was great.
The rampage is nicely countered by the emotion of his mother's death, and when you add in his abilities as a Jedi it's very eery for me to contemplate. I tried imagining myself in that position, and as much as I think that killing them was wrong, I know I would be tempted. :(

I was startled at first by the score when he looks up, pretty chilling and kinda "nonSW" sounding. Very refreshing. :)

Croaker
05-17-2002, 07:27 AM
That I killed them bit reminded me of a scence from Star Trek TNG.
There's this old guy ('cept he's actually an alien) and some aliens come and wipe out his planet (including his wife) and then because he has mega powers he just thinks and kills them all

There's this whole dialogue bit where he's like - I killed them, not just one, but all of them.
He also goes on to say that he killed them ALL not one, not a thousand, not a million, but all the aliens everywhere.

It also reminded me of Sidious in TPM saying wipe them out, all of them.

good shot jansen
05-17-2002, 07:46 AM
i was bothered that he confessed the killings to padme, and that she then comforted him. i feel it would have played better if he kept the killings to himself, and only displayed grief in shmi's death to her.

i know that his confession of the slaying of the tuskans will resurface in episode III and play a major role in padme eventually pulling away from anakin, however, i think that in true turning to the dark side fashion, anakin should have lied to padme, and just tell her that he found shmi dead, and left it at that.

we already know what he's gonna become, it wasn't necessary imho for him to show padme at this point the terrible rage and danger within.

2-1B
05-17-2002, 11:43 AM
I think his confession shows some remorse, it was obviously bothering him. Although in the novel, he adds that he doesn't want to hate them. I thought that would have been a nice inclusion, adding even more credence to the tragedy of his actions. :(

To me, Hayden's portrayal of Anakin is a complete success because I really do not want him to turn to the dark side. Indeed, it is sad. :(

pthfnder89
05-17-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Or maybe she is so horrifed and disturbed by what he said he did, that she thinks the best thing is to comfort him. It's not like she's cheering him on, and telling him that he did a good job. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yeah it seemed to me that Padme was scared and shocked by Anakins admission, but after a moment her feelings for him compelled her to comfort him. anyway.

What bothered me throughout the movie was that I just didn't buy her love for him. The only scene that I felt any kind of chemistry between them at all (until their kiss being led into the Arena) was the picnic on Naboo. I truly felt like there was something blossoming between them there.

But before and after that one scene I didn't feel anything between them at all, aside from Anakins creepy obsession. All of Padmes romantic scenes seemed extremely forced to me. She seemed like she said she was in love with him simply because that is what was in the script.

I won't deny that this is just a personal opinion, but I really believe that the romance wasn't very believable.

good shot jansen
05-17-2002, 12:16 PM
the scene works very well, this time i heard what clieg said prior to ani setting out to find shmi in a better light.

he recounts how 30 of them went out after her, and that only 4 returned, that the tuskans are animals, and ruthless murderer's. this 2nd viewing of the movie, where i was able to concentrate on all the dialog better, i now have to say that the confession of anakin actually works, and does indeed show padme his tormented side, for doing what he felt was right, but that he let his anger overcome him and reduce himself down to the level of the tuskans.

this film was fabulous, and definately ranks up there (if not in fact better), with esb.

i plan to see it several more times over the coming weeks, and look forward to getting something different out of the film each time!!!!!

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 01:35 PM
In the Ep1 novel didn't Anakin help an injured Tusken Raider?

Mace Windex
05-17-2002, 01:53 PM
ANAKIN:"Hey Padme, I just murdered women and children!"
PADME: "Ooooh, mmmmm, you are so hot! I love a man who can go serial killer on me!"

I think this whole issue should have been broadened. How many women would want a man who just admitted to killing women and children?

Jedi Clint
05-17-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Battle Droid
In the Ep1 novel didn't Anakin help an injured Tusken Raider?

Yes, he did.

AmanaMatt
05-17-2002, 02:38 PM
Some of you really hit the nail on the head on the only aspect of the movie that felt 'wrong' to me. When Anakin confessed to killing women and children before Padme, I as an audience member, am supposed to believe that a young woman of Amidala's intelligence and status would allow herself to fall in love with a person starting who is starting to turn quite evil? Anakin may not be E-V-I-L yet, but killing women and children is evil in its nature, and an act of such horrendousness, that it bothered me greatly.

I tried to rationalize her character's acceptance of Anakin's act and her subsequent 'love for him.' I think that she is supposed to be a character who has served her people with selflessness and courage, and for the first time in her life, wants something for just her, and that that desire has severly clouded her judgment.

The wedding scene was the biggest shock to me...

scruffziller
05-17-2002, 02:43 PM
I found it rather EXILERATING!!!!! An extreme high point of the movie, I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeAndTheBots
05-17-2002, 03:47 PM
I thought he sort of half smiled in a sick, twisted way before he explains what happened to Padme. After that scene, I was convinced that they got the perfect guy to play Anakin. Hayden Christensen totally made up for the crappy portrayal of Anakin in Epsidoe 1.

scruffziller
05-17-2002, 04:59 PM
Yep he definately racked up some darkside points right then and there.

Dryanta
05-17-2002, 05:10 PM
I had to comment to my wife about Padme's reaction to Anakins confession.
Then I find myself examining the Star Wars universe for other examples of this.
Qui Gon's comment to Jar Jar"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent".Hmmm
And Cliegg's comment that"they walk like men but they are animals"
Do they have a different idea about what is and what is not an animal?Would I personally felt differently if he had gone into a pack of Massifs and killed them all?Yes I would.Because I have the idea that the Tuscan's are more human or at least humanoid than a massiff.But maybe they aren't.Maybe this is an explaination of Padme's reaction.How do we know if the ackley,Reek,or the Cat thing(sorry can't remember the name:)) were female or infants?No bad feeling about putting them down do we?At least not on the same level.
If I were A pioneer in the early days of this country and my wife was killed by wolves.Who would have a problem if I took a rifle and tracked down the whole pack and killed them?
Would we the audience been less affected if it wasn't "Women and Children" But "females and cubs" ?
I tend to think that they may have a different idea of what is an animal and intelligent then we do.
I really don't know just some thoughts on it.

MikeAndTheBots
05-17-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Dryanta

Would we the audience been less affected if it wasn't "Women and Children" But "females and cubs" ?
I tend to think that they may have a different idea of what is an animal and intelligent then we do.

The wording was very specific. I mean the Tuskens had an actual culture, compared to animals who just sorta go off of instinct.

Dryanta
05-17-2002, 05:50 PM
Oh I don't doubt or question that they are intelligent,and have a culture all their own.I guess my rhetorical question is really do the residents of the SW universe see it the same way?I really don't know.If not Padme' is a little wacked too:) IMHO;)

JediDan
05-18-2002, 05:37 PM
You know I never even noticed it till the 2nd time I seen the film but Anakin is already starting to turn to part man part machine. The wedding scene he has a mechanical arm. I just cannot help but wonder how and why he will need the Vader suit to survive? Don't tell me if you know, I want to wait till Epi. 3 to find out.

Man Hayden did an awesome job as Anakin!!!!! You could feel his hate, his sorrow, pain. Good job. :)

Beast
05-18-2002, 05:50 PM
There is more to the garage scene that was cut, which might better explain why Padme comforts him. I don't have a problem with the scene at all, but it appears a few of you did. Maybe they will include it on the DVD. :)

More Remorse for Tusken Slaughter:
There was more to the extended "work shop" scene with Annie and Padme after he killed the Tuskens. Anakin cries (which we saw) - but continues on where he talks of his remorse for doing it and Padme tells him that he is only human.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-19-2002, 02:06 AM
Tusken culture - abducting innocent women and killing 26 of 30 would-be rescuers. They must be proud. :confused:

The Tusken "women" are just as guilty as the men, way to go ladies let's allow our "men" to abduct and torture an innocent woman. The women deserved to die as much as the men.
The children is the tragic aspect, as they were not guilty of anything.

It's ironic that the Padme character is described as a foolish woman for being compassionate to a man who she knows to be a good person, while evil Tusken females are sympathized (if that's even a word :D)
as innocent. :rolleyes:

scruffziller
07-04-2002, 05:06 PM
I thought before I saw AOTC that we would see just a gradual and evident climb to the darkside, but when Anikin unexpectedly shouted in rage at Zam Wessel 'TELL US NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" That was one of the most awesome parts of the movie. It showed us his darkside potential way before the Tusken raider slaughtering.

Jek Porky 2002
07-04-2002, 05:26 PM
Yeah, it was a good touch.

Lobito
07-04-2002, 06:06 PM
It was a taste of things to come...specially when Anakin is away from home (his mother), being a former slave and if u add the age...no wonder Yoda sensed his fear 10 yrs. back.

DeadEye
07-04-2002, 07:05 PM
That shriveled little green guy is always right! :p