PDA

View Full Version : Qui Gon's Voice.

Battle Droid
05-16-2002, 07:01 PM
Cause he never said anything about it to Mace at all.

IcebergSlim
05-16-2002, 07:09 PM
When did Qui-Gon say something??

Beast
05-16-2002, 07:17 PM
Right as Anakin starts slaughtering the Tusken Raiders, you hear Qui-Gon shout..."No, Anakin, Noooo." And then it switches to the scene with Yoda in meditation. In the book it says that he did hear the voice, and he's confused by it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
05-16-2002, 07:18 PM
When they cut from Anakin at the Tusken Camp to Yoda meditating in his office/chamber.

I heard Qui-Gon very clearly.

Battle Droid
05-16-2002, 07:20 PM
So what about in the film? Did he not hear it or just think nothing of it?

Starfig873
05-16-2002, 07:23 PM
Well from the facial expressions he was giving, he heard it and it either did indeed confuse him or he was somewhat disturbed by it.

Beast
05-16-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Battle Droid
So what about in the film? Did he not hear it or just think nothing of it?
I think he heard it, but isn't going to just blurt out that he heard Qui-Gon from beyond the grave. Ole Mace would have thought that Yoda was senile or somthing. I am sure that Yoda will meditate on it, and try to reach Qui-Gon, and perhaps that is how Yoda learns to manifest himself in spirit form, in the later films. Not to mention, teach it to Obi-Wan. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
05-16-2002, 07:30 PM
Most people miss this because the audience is shouting and cheering Anakin as he slaughters the Tuskens right before the scene cut. I heard the voice, but there was too much shouting in my theater to identify it as Liam Neeson's. It was since I read spoilers and "know" but I probably won't be able to hear it in a theater audience for a while.

Battle Droid
05-16-2002, 07:33 PM
No one ever cheered in the audience I was in, is that bad?

Darth-AWT
05-16-2002, 07:38 PM
No one cheered at all ?! Wow

I went to a 12:01 showing last night, and the crowd was great. Lots of laughing and mass amounts of cheering.

I think my favorite crowd reaction was Yoda entering the hanger to face Dooku. As soon as we could see the shadow, the entire theatre said "Uh Oh!" then broke out into mad cheering when they saw it was Yoda.

Great crowd at the WillowBrook Theatre in Houston !

Battle Droid
05-16-2002, 07:40 PM
I heard a few laughters, but don't remeber in cheering, not loud cheering anyway, though they had the sound turned up pretty loud, I had a headache afterwards.

IcebergSlim
05-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Damn, I missed it....

Tycho
05-16-2002, 07:41 PM
BattleDroid, that's because you live on Geonosis (it says so on your bio location) and I presume you saw the movie there?

Well, in case you didn't notice, the Clonetroopers were whooping your robot and bug butts alike! How could anyone there cheer except maybe they should've rooted the Reek and Acklay on. I liked the wildlife myself!

But I think if you saw the movie on Kamino, you'd get quite a different reaction!

Battle Droid
05-16-2002, 07:52 PM
Oh and there weren't to many in the audience, many seats were empty, maybe 20 some people all together, I believe.

Battle Droid
05-16-2002, 07:53 PM
BattleDroid, that's because you live on Geonosis (it says so on your bio location) and I presume you saw the movie there?

Hehe, good point. :D

Though you could also say I got to see it Live. Some of it anyway. ;)

Battle Droid
05-16-2002, 07:58 PM
Oh and I remember seeing this strange looking humanoid wearing flannel with a Digital camera.

Freedom
05-16-2002, 08:14 PM
Qui Gon's voice sounded like when he and Anikin were returning to the Queen's starship in Phantom Menace when Qui Gon shouted, "Anakin! Duck!" when Darth Maul was approaching on his speeder. Sounded like the just cut off the "Duck!"

Dar' Argol
05-16-2002, 10:27 PM
The line was "Anakin, Anakin, Nooooooo!". The 2 "Anakin's" were from TPM, and the "Nooooooo" was not Liam Nelson's voice. It was made to seem that way, but if you listen closely it wasn't. Might have been McGreggor's from TPM when Qui-Gon got skewered but I just noticed it wasn't Liam's voice.

QLD
05-16-2002, 10:57 PM
Yoda couldn't have heard it because I didn't hear it. So there.

BanthaPoodoo
05-16-2002, 11:31 PM
Yes indeed it was Liam Neeson. Go to upcomingmovies.com there is a write up about it.

Tycho
05-17-2002, 01:25 AM
Battledroid - tonight I saw you in the movie. That sucks that you couldn't fight better, but I understand getting crossed with a protocal droid WOULD complicate your mobility.

But hey, from my perspective, you got to walk in a great hero's shoes for a while.

You know, the Ewoks worship him? Think about it! ;)

sunblind
05-17-2002, 09:04 AM
Right as Anakin starts slaughtering the Sand People, you can hear someone telling Anakin, "No Anakin, No", and it sounds just like Qui-Gon Jinn's voice. I mean that's whose voice it is, as to what I heard. I've seen the movie 3 times now, and on the 3rd try, I really was listening for his voice and it is, what's up with that?

Anyone know?

DahrJin
05-17-2002, 09:09 AM
Just like Luke hearing, and recieving advice from his dead Jedi friend, Ben. Remember.

Qui Gon was trying to stop Anakin from doing what he was, starting his turn to the DarkSide.

Jpalisi
05-17-2002, 09:23 AM
i agree w/ dahrjin, quigon was trying to warn anakin, but my freinds and i had the thought that maybe what yoda was sensing was the present and future together? could qui-gon show up in 3 as a ghost? i mean obi wan was allways thhere helpin luke.

pthfnder89
05-17-2002, 10:04 AM
No, Yoda was hearing Qui Gons voice as well as feeling the impact through the Force.

Toad
05-17-2002, 10:22 AM
Thought this was amazing, and upon seeing it again, I still have the same question:

Who said "NO"? It doesn't sound like Qui-Gonn to me, so I have no idea who it was.

It's obvious the "Anakin" part was Qui-Gonn.

sunblind
05-17-2002, 10:45 AM
DahrJin, I remember that Ben did that, except they didnt show the ghost of Qui Gon. I just wondered why they'd add his voice. That part was confusing. I wonder if they went further in the book on that matter....hmmmm

pthfnder89
05-17-2002, 11:22 AM
It was all Qui Gon. The dialogue was just taken from unused TPM footage; but that's cool since at least it is Liam Neesons voice. :)

2-1B
05-17-2002, 11:26 AM
The "No" didn't sound like Qui-Gon to me either.

Croaker
05-17-2002, 11:37 AM
I agree.
the "anakin anakin" was obviously a clip from TPM, but the no! souded like it was from somewhere else and definitely did not sound like Neeson.

DahrJin
05-17-2002, 11:51 AM
sunblind, I wasn't trying to be an ***$, just kidding around.

BTW:

We never see Ben as a GHOST until ESB. In ANH, his voice is heard in Lukes mind.

Toad
05-17-2002, 12:11 PM
The "NO" sounded either like an angry person or someone watching a loved one die. That's the sense I got.

Also, was it Anakin that heard these voices?
Was it Yoda?
Was it just the void of Jedi-ness?

sunblind
05-17-2002, 12:55 PM
thats right...but in ANH, Ben had alot more lines than just, "no...no anakin" and what i mean by that is that it was confusing to understand that it was Qui Gon. Because its only mere seconds, and your left with, "what? what was that...who said that" and then its over and then your like, huh? What happened?

bigbarada
05-17-2002, 12:58 PM
It was put in the movie to make people wonder what that voice was all about. I think it was the voice of Qui-Gonn and Yoda sensed that while he was sensing Anakin's rage. It's the simplest explaination.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-17-2002, 02:13 PM
I also heard Vader breathing in that same scene when Yoda was trying to forsee the future.

:)

El Chuxter
05-17-2002, 02:18 PM
Here's a theory. . . .

I've not read the novel yet, but my girlfriend tells me that both Yoda and Anakin hear this.

Lucas has said it will be addressed in the prequels why Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Ani vanish, but Qui-Gon doesn't. He's also said it's something that Yoda taught to Obi-Wan. But no one seems to have taught this trick to Anakin.

Could Qui-Gon's contact with Yoda and Anakin somehow be part of the reason they're able to vanish?

greedo
05-17-2002, 02:24 PM
What do you mean Vanish? When they die? I don't remember Vader Vanishing when he died, luke burned him on the alter...

El Chuxter
05-17-2002, 02:28 PM
Luke burned the empty armor. Lucas has said so before. That's why Luke can see Anakin's spirit.

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 02:33 PM
Battledroid - tonight I saw you in the movie. That sucks that you couldn't fight better, but I understand getting crossed with a protocal droid WOULD complicate your mobility.

But hey, from my perspective, you got to walk in a great hero's shoes for a while.

You know, the Ewoks worship him? Think about it!

LOL How'd you know that was me? ;)

I also get my own action figure. :D

MikeAndTheBots
05-17-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
I also heard Vader breathing in that same scene when Yoda was trying to forsee the future.

By the smiley at then end I'm not sure if you were kidding but I didn't notice if. It sounds awesome though. But, when Anakin and Padme are standing outside of the Lars' homestead before he goes out on the swoop (i think, I can't remember really), it may have been the lighting or the shape of the house but it looked like he had vader's shadow for a couple frames before he moves again. I may have been seeing things though.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-17-2002, 04:56 PM
I am not kidding. I swear i heard both Qui-Gon and Vader in that scene. And i also thought that shadow looked a lot like Vader.

Jarrell
05-17-2002, 05:40 PM
I just got done reading the book (had to wait till after the movie ), and in the book it said it was Qui Gon trying to stop him from starting down the dark path, and yoda sensed him in pain. The book also stated that Yoda was delving into the dark side to try to see what the dark side was shrouding.

bigbarada
05-17-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Jarrell
The book also stated that Yoda was delving into the dark side to try to see what the dark side was shrouding.

This brings to mind an ESB Yoda quote, "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

Does this mean that Yoda is speaking from experience?

therock0603
05-17-2002, 09:49 PM
The voices that he heard sounded more like Qui-Gon saying "Anakin!" a couple of times like he did in Episode I and then a clip of Obi-Wan yelling "NOOOOOOOO!" when Qui-Gon was impaled by Darth Maul in Episode I. Cause the voice saying "NOOOOOOO" was a different voice....not Qui-Gon's and I just watched the scene from Episode I and it sounded just like Obi-Wan's "NOOOOOO!"

kwyjibo111
05-17-2002, 09:51 PM
If you read the book you know that yoda hears qui gon's voice.

Dar' Argol
05-17-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by therock0603
The voices that he heard sounded more like Qui-Gon saying "Anakin!" a couple of times like he did in Episode I and then a clip of Obi-Wan yelling "NOOOOOOOO!" when Qui-Gon was impaled by Darth Maul in Episode I. Cause the voice saying "NOOOOOOO" was a different voice....not Qui-Gon's and I just watched the scene from Episode I and it sounded just like Obi-Wan's "NOOOOOO!"

Whoa, I'm experiancing Deva Vu here. That sounds an aweful lot like my post earlier:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=86277#post86277

:confused: :rolleyes:

therock0603
05-18-2002, 04:02 PM
Sorry Dar' Agol. I didn't steal it from you. I actually just looked at the first page and then typed up that message and posted it. Great minds think alike (and we're probably right).

therock0603
05-18-2002, 04:04 PM
And also...the whole vanishing thing...here's my theory on it and it makes more sense than any I've seen so far. When a Jedi dies and vanishes, it means he becomes one with the force. The reason no one has vanished yet is because the force is unbalanced, just as Yoda said in Episode I....that Anakin is the one that will bring balance to it. Once everything works out and balance is brought to the force, Jedi can become one with it. Now if anyone posted that message earlier....sorry, I didn't steal it either. I just read a couple and posted this response.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-18-2002, 07:01 PM
Your theory sounds very interesting. I have always thought Jedi vanish when they have accepted their death. I.e. in ANH, Obi-Wan lets Vader kill him. Yoda dies peacefully. Anakin dies in ROTJ after he saw Luke with his own eyes and says "Now...leave me my son".

Makes sense.

Darth_Growl
05-19-2002, 12:26 PM
Saw the movie last night, and I have to say that it was the best I've seen since Empire and ROTJ. Thank you so much George Lucas for bringing back the magic of Star Wars. Now, was it just me, or did I hear Qui Gon's voice in the scene where Anakin slaughters all those Tusken Raiders? I could have sworn I heard him say something like "Anakin!! Anakin!! Nooooo!!". Then the scene turns to Yoda and Mace with tears in their eyes. I have to admit, that scene was so moving I almost broke down in tears myself. Now according to the original trilogy, there is no way it could have been Qui Gon because he didn't disappear and become one with the force. Looks like George Lucas has some serious explaining to do. :confused:

Beast
05-19-2002, 12:31 PM
Please do a search before starting a new thread, since this has been discussed already. There is a sticky thread asking you to do so here, it even tells you how. It just helps keep the forums a little cleaner. :D http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8381

Here is a link to the 4 page thread about Qui-Gon's Voice:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8309

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Clint
05-19-2002, 01:10 PM
It certainly does. What was that? What is my favorite time saving device? Hmmmm.......at this point I'd have to say that all-in-one kitchen wonder JJB!

Darth_Growl,

I think this has implications regarding further exposition of the whole vanishing Jedi issue. Yoda was a bit suprised to hear Qui Gon's voice.....I am betting he does some serious contemplation on this and draws some amazing conclusions. ;)

sith_killer_99
05-19-2002, 02:38 PM
SPOILERS FROM THE BOOK

Attact of the Clones PAGE 276:

And then he heard a voice, a familiar voice, crying, "No, Anakin! No! Don't! No!"

It was Qui-Gon. Yoda knew it was Qui-Gon. But Qui-Gon was dead, had become one with the Force! One could not retain consciousness and sense of self in that state; one could not speak from beyond the grave.

But Yoda had heard the ghostly call, and in his deep meditative state, his thoughts focused as precisely as they had ever been, the Jedi Master knew that he had not been mistaken.

He wanted to focus on that, then, perhaps to try to follow that call back to the ghostly source, but he could not, overwhelmed again by the surge of rage and pain and...power.

He made a noise and lurched forward, then came out of his trance as his door opened and Mace Windu rushed in.

"What is it?" Mace asked.

"Pain. Suffering. Death! I fear something terrible has happened. Young Skywalker is in pain. Terrible pain."

He didn't tell Mace the rest of it, that somehow Anakin's rush of agony manifesting in the Force had tapped into the spirit of the dead Jedi Master who had discovered him. Too much was happening here.

That disembodied familiar voice hung profoundly in Yoda's thoughts. For if it were true, if he had heard what he was sure he had heard...

Anakin, too, had heard the voice of Qui-Gon, imploring him to restrain himself, to deny the rage. He hadn't recognized it, though, for he was too full of pain and anger.

This is taken directly from the book which I highly encourage all to read. It reveals MUCH more of what is going on.

Darth_Growl
05-19-2002, 07:12 PM
I have to buy the book tonight. I would really like to see if it sheds more light one what's going in Anakin's mind as he murders all those tuskens. The good thing about novels is that it usually gives more information about what's going on inside the minds of all the characters in the movie. I can't wait until I buy it tonight.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-19-2002, 07:59 PM
And it's more gory, oh goody! I finally get to see the part where he slaughters all those Tuskens!!!

:D

artdoesart
05-20-2002, 05:08 PM
Someone please explain?

i swear i thought i heard vaders breathe one or more time in the films, where exactly is this? i hear diff interpretations throughout the boards.

also concerning qui-gon when can you hear his voice and what does he say? i kept waiting and waiting to hear or see qui-gon but i got nothing?

thanks... trying to remember all the nice little easter eggs and go hunting for them DLP style...

Beast
05-20-2002, 05:12 PM
Try here:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8309

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

artdoesart
05-20-2002, 05:17 PM
jarjarbinks..

even though i hate you.. thanks for your help.. :)

*nice... signature... :)

sith_killer_99
05-20-2002, 08:25 PM
artdoesart...

it's on page 276.

LOL

RooJay
05-20-2002, 09:37 PM
I have always felt the Force was perhaps (intended by Lucas) a manifestation of the concept of "God" in the Star Wars universe. That being said, I think it's safe to assume that the Force may also consist of an aspect similar to the Judeo-Christian concept of Heaven. There certainly seems to exist in the Star Wars universe a Force related analog to the concept of a "soul"; Yoda states, "Luminous beings are we. Not this crude matter." which sounds an awful like the concept of a soul in my estimation. I have always assumed that when Jedi die they become "one with the Force" in a way that is very similar to the concept of souls ascending to Heaven. A Jedi dies and his "presence" (soul) becomes one with the Force (or the aspect of the Force that parallels our concept of Heaven), thus adding his power to the Force itself. With this in mind, perhaps there is a way for a Jedi to prepare himself for death that would allow an aspect of his "presence" (soul) to maintain itself in the physical world. This would tend to come in handy in certain instances where that Jedi's knowledge would be needed to help others, as was the case in Obi Wan's need to guide Luke. Obi Wan says that if struck down by Vader he would become more possible than Vader can possibly imagine; this being because Vader would no longer be able to harm Obi Wan or hinder him in his task of guiding Luke towards his destiny, and Obi Wan would now be able to draw more readily on the full power of the Force to assist in Luke's guidance. Perhaps Vader's striking down of Obi Wan was simply the catalyst needed for Obi Wan to shed his "crude matter" and become one with the Force, as Yoda's natural (just assumption here due to his advanced age) death would've been the catalyst for his merging with the Force. Maybe ALL Jedi disappear and merge with the Force in this way when they die of natural causes, and are prepared as one would be when they suspect their death was imminent. Knowing all of this, especially the concepts of "Force Heaven" and "Jedi souls", perhaps it is even possible for those Jedi who are killed in battle without having prepared themselves to merge with the Force (as in the case of Qui-Gon Jinn) to manifest their presence in the physical world as well; albeit in a slightly more limited fashion.

I do understand that the novel states that Yoda was confused at being able to hear Qui-Gon's voice, but the novels often include a great deal of inference on the part of their respective authors, and they don't always jibe completely with Lucas' vision and what we see on film. If you watch Yoda's death scene in ROTJ, he doesn't seem to be making a very big deal of disappearing.

That is Qui-Gon's voice we hear in AOTC; Liam Neeson has a VERY distinctive voice, and their is no question that the "Anakin...ANAKIN!" we hear in the movie comes from him. However, the voice we hear screaming "no" is definitely NOT Neeson. I do think that a lot of people are reading too much into that fact though. I believe that it was intended for the audience to believe the entire line was Qui-Gon, but that it would've cost too much to hire Liam Neeson to record a single word and therefore a stand-in voice was used. Probably a Lucasfilm staffer much as was done when the scream was added to the scene in ESB were Luke Skywalker falls into the shaft after dueling with Vader. As was the case with that scene we were supposed to believe that Luke was the person doing the screaming (and not someone else's voice screaming from the future;)) even though it didn't sound like his voice to those of us "in the know".

sith_killer_99
05-20-2002, 10:49 PM
As was stated earlier George Lucas HIMSELF stated that the disappearing thing was something that YODA had discovered and taught to Obi-Wan. He also said that it would be explained, why Qui-Gon did not disappear.

I really think that Qui-Gon's voice leads Yoda to discover an unknown aspect of the Force that allows for Obi and Yoda to do the disappearing act.

I understand that GL gives some leway to the authors, but I think this is TOO BIG of a plot point to just let R.A. run with. George has something DEFINITE in mind here.

DarthBrandon
05-20-2002, 11:38 PM
I heard the voice and I could care less if it was Liam's voice, but it is meant to be Qui-Gon in the movie.

evenflow
05-21-2002, 03:17 PM
I think Yoda heard it. I wish that they would have actually showed Qui-Gon's spirit in the background of the Tusken camp or something.

therock0603
05-21-2002, 03:19 PM
I don't think the "NOOOOOOO" was meant to be Qui-Gon. I agree that they could have gotten someone to yell "NOOOO" in place of Liam so they wouldn't have to hire him, but if they did, it would at least sound like him. This voice doesn't sound the least bit like him and stands out like a sore thumb. It was obviously not meant to be him. If they wanted it to sound like Liam, it would have. Just like edited movies on television with another word stuck in in place of a cuss word.... they get someone to dub over it, not the actor, but just some random person, but it ends up flawlessly blending in. My point is if they intended for someone to sound like Liam, then he would have. Nuff said.

sith_killer_99
05-21-2002, 03:33 PM
Actually the book states clearly that it was in fact Qui-Gon's voice. Page 276;)

Nuff said.;)

RooJay
05-21-2002, 04:26 PM
I don't think the "NOOOOOOO" was meant to be Qui-Gon. I agree that they could have gotten someone to yell "NOOOO" in place of Liam so they wouldn't have to hire him, but if they did, it would at least sound like him. This voice doesn't sound the least bit like him and stands out like a sore thumb. It was obviously not meant to be him. If they wanted it to sound like Liam, it would have. Just like edited movies on television with another word stuck in in place of a cuss word.... they get someone to dub over it, not the actor, but just some random person, but it ends up flawlessly blending in. My point is if they intended for someone to sound like Liam, then he would have. Nuff said.
You mean the way the scream they added in for Luke in ESB sounds oh so much like Mark Hamill? :rolleyes: Why would they do it? The only people that are going to remember this line and how part of it didn't sound like Liam Neeson in three years will be us die hard fans.
Plus, the book says that it's Qui-Gon on page 276.;)

Dar' Argol
05-21-2002, 04:52 PM
So let me get this straight. . . . . . That voice we all heard . . . . . . . . . The one when Anakin is playing blender with the Tuskins . . . . . . . . . . . . . That is Qui-Gon . . . . . . . . . . . . . and the book says so . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . on page 276????. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

RooJay
05-21-2002, 06:01 PM
MmHm!:D

sith_killer_99
05-21-2002, 06:07 PM
Yep....oh wait?!?! Did you say page 276?

Hold on.

Page 2...7..6...

Yep, page 276.

"It was Qui-Gon. Yoda knew it was Qui-Gon. But Qui-Gon was dead, had become one with the Force!"

So...wait a min....yep it was Qui-Gon.:eek:

hehehehe.;)

therock0603
05-21-2002, 06:11 PM
Just cause the book says it's Qui-Gon doesn't mean that it's all Qui-Gon in the movie. The book writing takes place before the movie is finished. There's a lot of stuff in the book that's not in the movie. And the voice in ESB didn't sound that bad, and besides, that was 1980 when that movie came out. This is 2002, technology is a lot better. Comparing the voice that is obviously not Liam's to a voice in a 1980 movie that was not Mark's is like saying how similar the computer graphics were in the two movies.

sith_killer_99
05-21-2002, 06:39 PM
:crazed:

LOL

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Dar' Argol
05-21-2002, 06:54 PM
Comparing the voice that is obviously not Liam's

Uh . . . . . . therock0603 . . . . . . I've watched TPM over . . . . uh. . . . like 5 billion times! I have most of the movie commited to memory. The part where Qui-Gon says, "Anakin! Drop!" is burned into my brain (ouch). When we hear, "Anakin! Anakin! Noooooo!!!", the Anakin part is Qui-Gon. Its cut right from TPM. The Noooooo does't belong to Liam, I think that might be Obi-Wan after Qui-Gon gets skewered:dead:. Who knows:rolleyes:.

Besides, I have the book right here and it says on page 276 that it was Qui-Gon and Yoda knew it was Qui-Gon. Yup, page 276:D

RooJay
05-21-2002, 06:57 PM
If you guys say so!
For me the voice was ALL Qui-Gon, and will always BE Qui-Gon; in spite of the fact that it obviously wasn't all Liam Neeson! All I have to do is wait for Ep. 3 to come out so I can say I told ya so!;)

Then there's always page 276...

therock0603
05-21-2002, 07:41 PM
Um....lol... Dar 'Argol, that's what I've been saying all along....lol! I've been saying that it was not Liam's voice and was not meant to be Qui-Gon and it sounded more like Obi-Wan when Qui-Gon was killed in TPM. I said in previous posts that the "Anakin! Anakin!" part sounded like Qui-Gon and the "NOOOOO" sounded like Obi-Wan, not Qui-Gon. I also agree with you that the "Anakin!" sounded like the part in TPM when Qui-Gon yells to Anakin to drop. That's what I originally recognized it as.

therock0603
05-21-2002, 07:43 PM
To make it more clear....the part that you cut from my message that says "the voice that was obviously not Liam's" was referring to the "NOOOOOOOO" that was heard in Attack of the Clones.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-21-2002, 07:52 PM
Maybe it is Qui-Gon, but it was just distorted. I.e. Yoda was tapping into the Dark Side and he probably had to let go.

Magnolia-Fan
05-21-2002, 10:55 PM
My thoughts :

1. It is not Qui-Gon saying "NOOOOOOOOO". It does not sound anything like Liam Neeson. If it was meant to be Qui-Gon , they would have either a.) found a voice actor who could sound like Liam, b.) had Liam "phone in" a "NOOOOOOO", or c.) modified "Anakin drop!" to sound like "Anakin STOP!"

2. I reviewed the Episode 1 trailer. The "NOOOOOO" is NOT Obi-Wan's.

3. I reviewed ESB. The "NOOOOOOOOO" is not Luke's.

4. I reviewed the following sound-byte OVER AND OVER.

5. I believe the voice to be that of none other than:

ANAKIN SKYWALKER.

Darth_Growl
05-22-2002, 12:32 AM
That "Noooooo!" does indeed sound like Anakin Skywalker! And NOW I can hear Darth Vader breathing in the background. My guess is that at the same time Yoda was hearing Qui Gon he was also hearing things that will be happening in the future. I tell you: that George Lucas has some serious explaining to do. We'll have to wait until Episode 3 though. :)

Jargo
05-22-2002, 01:14 PM
The "Anakin, Anakin" is Liam from episode one where he spots maul approaching and tells Anakin to drop. The NOOOOOO is god knows who but not Liam Neeson. Sorry if this has already been established, I just wanted to say the things I noticed after watching the movie today. :)

RooJay
05-22-2002, 10:13 PM
Hmm, Yoda sensing flash of Anakin's future at the same time he hears Qui-Gon's voice from beyond...an interesting notion! I'd say there are even odds for that voice being either Qui-Gon as recorded by someone other than Neeson, or Anakin himself as part of a premonition experienced by Yoda.

Dar' Argol
05-22-2002, 11:29 PM
After listining to "Anakin! Anakin! Noooo!" for about 150 times I keep thinking that I have heard that "Nooo" somewhere else b/4:confused:. I just can't place it. Anyone have a copy of THX 1138 that they can watch again. I'm not sure but I think there was a Nooo scream in there. It doesn't sound like Vader/Anakin. I'll have to watch my tapes this weekend.

Oh WAIT! I know!!!!! I'll check the book!!!!

Hmmmm . . . . . . . . . . . . page 276 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . no . . . . . . . nothing about THX 1138 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . nothing about Vader . . . . . . . . . . . hmmmm . . . . . . . . . . . just Qui-Gon . . . . . . . . . . . strange . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :D

Magnolia-Fan
05-23-2002, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
After listining to "Anakin! Anakin! Noooo!" for about 150 times I keep thinking that I have heard that "Nooo" somewhere else b/4:confused:. I just can't place it. Anyone have a copy of THX 1138 that they can watch again. I'm not sure but I think there was a Nooo scream in there. It doesn't sound like Vader/Anakin. I'll have to watch my tapes this weekend.

Oh WAIT! I know!!!!! I'll check the book!!!!

Hmmmm . . . . . . . . . . . . page 276 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . no . . . . . . . nothing about THX 1138 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . nothing about Vader . . . . . . . . . . . hmmmm . . . . . . . . . . . just Qui-Gon . . . . . . . . . . . strange . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :D

Hmmm....

I just looked at the book too.

In the book, Qui-Gon's words are "No, Anakin! No! Dont! No!".

Yet in the sound-byte above, we hear Qui-Gon saying, "Anakin, Anakin!", and then Anakin screaming, "NOOOOOO", along with Vader's famous breathing.

I guess Lucas must have screwed up when adapting R.A. Salvatore's novel for the screen.

sith_killer_99
05-23-2002, 07:10 AM
Well, CLEARLY, GL messed it all up.:rolleyes:

LOL

If you just check.......let's see......page.....276!

Ah, yes, nothing about THX 1138.....nothing about Vader....and nohing about TK421?

Odd!

DarthMaulSithLord
05-23-2002, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Magnolia-Fan
I guess Lucas must have screwed up when adapting R.A. Salvatore's novel for the screen.

Actually, it's the other way around.

:rolleyes:

stillakid
05-23-2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Luke burned the empty armor. Lucas has said so before. That's why Luke can see Anakin's spirit.

Then why doesn't Anakin vanish right away? :confused:

therock0603
05-23-2002, 02:34 PM
It only showed Vader for a few seconds after he died. If you remember correctly, Yoda took about 5-10 seconds to disappear after he died.

Magnolia-Fan
05-23-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord

Actually, it's the other way around.

:rolleyes:

Yes, I know. I was being ironic. :cool:

Darth_Maul25SW
05-23-2002, 08:02 PM
It's probably Qui Gon going "Anakin, Anakin" and the Nooo is probably Anakin in response to his mothers death. Remember that Yoda never actually knows what is going on just how everyones feels about it.

sunblind
05-28-2002, 09:37 AM
hmmm...maybe the nooooooo, was yoda.
he was looking into the darkside at that time aswell, right?
so maybe yoda's jedi mind and senses were trying to back out of that direction before anything bad happened with turning over into the darkside. maybe?

Chaddymac
05-28-2002, 11:52 AM
Does anyone have the Art of Episode II book with the script in the back? I'm just curious to know how that scene was scripted.

stillakid
05-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Chaddymac
Does anyone have the Art of Episode II book with the script in the back? I'm just curious to know how that scene was scripted.

Scene 121 Int. Jedi Temple, Yoda's Quarters -- Late Afternoon

Yoda meditates and suddenly hears a familar voice, as if from a great distance. It is the voice of Qui Gon Jinn, filled with alarm.

Qui Gon: (V.O.) No Anakin! No! Don't! No!

Mace Windu enters the room and sits down. Yoda opens his eyes and looks to Mace.

Mace Windu: What is it?

Yoda: Pain. Suffering. Death, I feel. Something terrible has happened. Young Skywalker is in pain. Terrible pain.

--The Art of Star Wars: Episode II, Attack of the Clones (page 210)

Chaddymac
05-28-2002, 01:24 PM
Thanks, Stillakid. That's pretty darned informative.

stillakid
05-28-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Chaddymac
Thanks, Stillakid. That's pretty darned informative.

There's nothing like going straight to the source. :) A person can interpret all day long, but if the script says one thing it then that's what it means. :)

darthvyn
05-28-2002, 03:20 PM
i just listened to the sound bite, and it sounds more like a tusken raider than vader's breathing to me... i do agree, though, that it doesn't sound like qui-gon saying "noooo" but that's who it's supposed to be in the novelization, and apparently in the script as well.

Chaddymac
05-28-2002, 07:18 PM
I agree that it's probably SUPPOSED to be Qui-Gon's voice, but crikey's they did a bad job with it. I just listened to that clip and...man. I mean, they didn't even put the same amount of reverb on the "noooo" that they did on the "Anakin, Anakin." I rarely advocate post-release fixes, but I've pressed it twice concerning the soundtrack on two Star Wars movies. On Empire Strikes Back, for the love of Pete, fix the mis-placed lightsaber sound effect as Luke is climbing out of the Wampa cave. And on Attack of the Clones, for the love of Pete, do something to make that "noooo" sound more like Qui-Gon and less like somebody gargling.

And these are my number 1 and 2 in the series, respectively. A shame. It must have been a late night on the mixing stage. I hope to hear someone ask Lucas or Burtt a question about that scene. I'd like to know the motivation behind that.

*Plays sound clip again*

Eww.

Dar' Argol
05-29-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

There's nothing like going straight to the source. :) A person can interpret all day long, but if the script says one thing it then that's what it means. :)

Was that on page 276 by any chance???????

He he he he :D

Geez, I love beating a dead horse:D

sith_killer_99
05-29-2002, 02:30 PM
WOW, both the script and the NOVEL....

page 276 I believe.;)

darthvyn
05-29-2002, 03:51 PM
wow, it IS on page

TOOSEVENDYSICKS...

being new to the forum, i'm of course a complete imbicile, and didn't read any of the important things everyone else had to say and assumed i was so much smarter than anyone else by being the absolute first person to bring up the topic of the novelization...

in reality, i was reiterating the fact that it was in the novel after the point about the script, thus almost completely erasing any doubt as to who it actually was supposed to be screaming "noooooooooooooooooooo"

Magnolia-Fan
06-02-2002, 11:03 PM

Unless it was changed during production.

And if the "NOOOOOOO" was supposed to be Qui-Gon, why does it NOT SOUND like Qui-Gon?

plo koon 200
06-03-2002, 12:17 AM
My first interpretation of that NOOOO was that it was that of a dying Tusken Raider. And instead of it being in its language it was in English so we could understand exactly what went throuhg its mind at the last minute.

stillakid
06-03-2002, 11:02 AM

Unless it was changed during production.

And if the "NOOOOOOO" was supposed to be Qui-Gon, why does it NOT SOUND like Qui-Gon?

You could be right, just like the addition of Vader's shadow onto the wall despite it not being in the script. ;)

Chaddymac
06-03-2002, 11:10 AM
What ever the "noooooo" is, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It should have AT LEAST had as much reverb on it as the "Anakin" line, whether it was Qui-Gon or not. It sounds so...bad.

saladin
06-03-2002, 02:49 PM
i think yoda is just trying to figure how and ehy he herd it so of course he wouldn't tell mace.

darthvyn
06-03-2002, 03:05 PM
after seeing it again, i feel like the "no" sounds like yoda's voice... maybe it's just me.

Magnolia-Fan
06-03-2002, 04:34 PM

You could be right, just like the addition of Vader's shadow onto the wall despite it not being in the script. ;)

cute

Jason B
06-03-2002, 07:21 PM
you know, i should've come into this thread earlier,because my friend has a pretty good theory on the voice. he says that it's Yoda seeing into the future, and the voice belongs to......

.....Obi-Wan. it makes sense too. this is Anakin's major turn to the Dark Side. Yoda is seeing his futher journey into the dark side. maybe that's just my friend though. ;) makes sense to me.

oh yeah, forget the book. :p

sith_killer_99
06-03-2002, 08:02 PM
OK, forget the novel!

So, what about the script, which says that it is in fact Qui-Gon saying "Nooooo"?

:eek:

Magnolia-Fan
06-03-2002, 10:43 PM
Actually, in the script, Qui-Gon does not say, "NOOOOOOO". He instead says, "No Anakin! No! Don't! No!"

Based on the soundbite above (see qgvoice.mp3), I still beleive the speaker of, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" to be Anakin,

Remember that films do sometimes get altered during production, and what you may have read in "Art of...whatever" may not be the "Star Wars Bible".

If that were the case, we would have all seen the Anchorhead scenes on the big screen.

B

P.S.

Stillakid- I had nothing to do with the "Vader shadow" conversation, so you are using that against me to no avail.

stillakid
06-03-2002, 11:48 PM
Actually, in the script, Qui-Gon does not say, "NOOOOOOO". He instead says, "No Anakin! No! Don't! No!"

Based on the soundbite above (see qgvoice.mp3), I still beleive the speaker of, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" to be Anakin,

Remember that films do sometimes get altered during production, and what you may have read in "Art of...whatever" may not be the "Star Wars Bible".

If that were the case, we would have all seen the Anchorhead scenes on the big screen.

B

P.S.

Stillakid- I had nothing to do with the "Vader shadow" conversation, so you are using that against me to no avail.

I was just being facitious to the whole world. ;)

I don't think that they changed the No part of the script to be someone else. There's not motivation to do so even though it may sound different.

Magnolia-Fan
06-04-2002, 02:17 PM
Actually, there was a motivation to change the character that says, "NOO".

The motivation being that George and Rick probably did not want to pay Liam Neeson a wad of money for 2 seconds of voice work.

So, simply alter the scene so that Anakin is yelling, "NOOO", and throw in Vader's breathing.

The scene still has the same effect (if not better) and it saves the producers some money.

Chaddymac
06-04-2002, 02:36 PM
But it doesn't sound like Anakin's voice. In fact, it doesn't sound like anyone's voice, except maybe Fat Albert.

EDIT: I'VE GOT IT!! It was the MIDICLORIANS screaming, "NOOOO!" Now it all makes sense.

*Head explodes*

darthvyn
06-04-2002, 02:55 PM

not to mention the fact that the digital projection can be altered post-release!

i still don't think that you hear vader's breathing, i think it's a tusken raider.

sith_killer_99
06-04-2002, 07:34 PM
I agree, with the Tusken Raider noise.

Magnolia-Fan
06-04-2002, 08:58 PM
Vader breathing is right at the end of the sound bite.

Here, Ive clipped that segment into it's own soundbite for your review:

darthvyn
06-05-2002, 03:43 PM
tusken...

Magnolia-Fan
06-05-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
tusken...

???

You have seen Star Wars, haven't you?

One more soundbite, for your comparison.

It is comprised of three things:

First, Vader breathing.
Second, Vader breathing in Yoda's vision.
Third, a Tusken Raider sound effect.

I think you will be able to see that Vader and Tuskens dont really sound that much alike.

odi-wan windu
06-05-2002, 06:51 PM
check imbd.. it's liam. he says the "Anakin, Anakin!" part but obviously not the "noooo"

darthvyn
06-05-2002, 06:53 PM
what is this... "star wars?"

Magnolia-Fan
06-05-2002, 07:01 PM
what is this... "star wars?"

'fraid so... ;)

But, on the upside, I think I've found your missing tusken!

Does he sound like this?

darthvyn
06-05-2002, 08:54 PM
you're links aren't working...

Magnolia-Fan
06-05-2002, 09:17 PM
you're links aren't working...

The last 2 were wav files. The previous ones were mp3.

Did the mp3's work for you?

Jason B
06-05-2002, 10:04 PM
get Winamp (http://www.winamp.com/download). then, just hit the link, then hit run from current location. :)

darthvyn
06-06-2002, 12:49 AM
i was just left clicking them, and they weren't working, but i saved the target, and they worked. anyway, sorry about all the cut 'n' splice work, but i ain't convinced. if anything, i'm more sure than ever that it's a tusken raider.

Magnolia-Fan
06-06-2002, 05:12 AM
LOL!

Magnolia-Fan
06-06-2002, 05:10 PM
Well, if that ain't proof, then this is.

I ran the qgvoice.mp3 soundbite backwards, and listen to what I heard:

darthvyn
06-06-2002, 05:20 PM
all i heard was "paul is dead..." what the hell does that mean?

Tha Showstoppa
06-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Well, the EXACT words (Im 100% sure, just saw the movie again) are "Anakin....Anakin!!!"...HOWEVER.......

Immediately after Qui-Gonn's voice is someone screaming "NO!" IT IS NOT QUI-GONN screaming, at least it sounds nothing like him. It's someone else, I've listened to it, and I think I know who it is, but I will not say, in fear of spoilers.

However, I believe it is a jedi screaming "no!", someone that is alive in Ep 2, but not in the original trilogy.

Take it for what it's worth, these are just my thoughts :)

Thanks,
-Steve

sith_killer_99
11-14-2002, 03:33 AM
This one's for all you nay sayers who refused to believe the book. LOL

The DVD confirmes that it is in fact Qui-Gon and ONLY Qui-Gon's voice Yoda hears when Anakin slaughters the Tuskens. The subtitles read:

[Qui-Gon Jinn's voice]
Anakin! Anakin! No-o-o!

So there you have it. Bad dubbing? Voice over? Who know's, but it is supposed to be Qui-Gon's voice. As noted on page 279 of "Attack of the Clones".

Then again, it could be argued that since the "Theatrical Release" did not have subtitles, that it still is not cannon.;) JK

Pendo
11-14-2002, 11:07 AM
I've always believed that it was Qui-Gon. The "Anakin, Anakin!" sounds just like him (because it was taken from Liam's dialogue in TPM), but the "nooooo" is just a joke! It sounds NOTHING like him :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

Lord Tenebrous
11-14-2002, 11:39 AM
It's mostly bad editing in the movie, between the multiple sound angles, and the fact that Yoda is never given time to explain it.

Almost like the inclusion of Aurra Sing, just enough exposure to allow its exploitation outside the film...

Dar' Argol
11-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
This one's for all you nay sayers who refused to believe the book. LOL

The DVD confirmes that it is in fact Qui-Gon and ONLY Qui-Gon's voice Yoda hears when Anakin slaughters the Tuskens. The subtitles read:

[Qui-Gon Jinn's voice]
Anakin! Anakin! No-o-o!

So there you have it. Bad dubbing? Voice over? Who know's, but it is supposed to be Qui-Gon's voice. As noted on page 279 of "Attack of the Clones".

SEE!! SEE!!! Like I said, whenever you have any questions, refer to the book. Page 276!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA AH HA HA HA HAH AH AH HA HAH AH *cough cough cough* he he he he he hehe he heheh!!!:D

tagmac
11-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
I've always believed that it was Qui-Gon. The "Anakin, Anakin!" sounds just like him (because it was taken from Liam's dialogue in TPM), but the "nooooo" is just a joke! It sounds NOTHING like him :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

You'd think they'd have at least tried to fix that for the DVD release. With computer technology, they could have easily modified it to sound more like Liam Neeson's voice.

sith_killer_99
11-17-2002, 05:52 PM
OOOoopps, I did mean page 276 I just didn't have "the book" with me at the time.;)

Dar' Argol
11-18-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
OOOoopps, I did mean page 276 I just didn't have "the book" with me at the time.;)

SHAME ON YOU!! You should always have the book with you. Just incase someone asks you a question, you can refer to that page!!!

Lets see . . . . . . . Will I win the Lottery???

Hmmmm . . . . page . . . . 2 . . . 7 . . . 6 . . . . . .It was Qui-Gon, Yoda knew it was him.

Hmmmm . . . . . .see how clear that answer was???;) :D

Deoxyribonucleic
11-19-2002, 01:04 AM
Watch the AOTC dvd director's commentary, it tells you one, that it is QGJ's voice and two, a little bit of why it's there (it is there for a purpose)!

I'm tellin' ya, director's commentaries are the greatest! :D