PDA

View Full Version : Captain Panaka vs Typho

DeadEye
03-26-2002, 12:12 PM
yeah, I know he's Padme's head of security in AOTC...but where is Panaka?

2-1B
03-26-2002, 12:15 PM
Hugh Quarshie was apparently displeased with the financial aspects of playing him again, so he passed. I doubt he liked TPM either.

In my opinion, it's a change for the better :)

DeadEye
03-26-2002, 12:20 PM
Yes...but what do you think happened for the character? Is he just on vacation for the rest of his life??? :confused:

JetsAndHeels
03-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Panaka probably stepped down or something like that. Maybe he decided to stay in Naboo and protect the new Queen. Who knows. Honestly I am glad he is gone, because he gave me the impression that he didnt like being in TPM. The only thing I liked about him was "The Hutts are gangstas!"

2-1B
03-26-2002, 12:26 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you meant your question to refer to the storyline. :)

I doubt there will be an "official" explanation, but maybe it will pop up in the EU. Once AOTC is out, I'm sure there will be more books concerning Padme's adventures as a Senator.

DeadEye
03-26-2002, 12:29 PM
Oh ok...I actually didn't like Panaka (I wanted him to get torn to shreads by a relentless hail of fire from six droidekas, reducing his body to a-- sorry, got carried away). I just wanted to know why the hell he wasn't there.

JEDIpartner
03-26-2002, 01:07 PM
I wasn't too crazy about Captain Pancakes either. He was pretty much phoning in his part. Glad he's done so many better films since then, too. :rolleyes:

browndroid
03-26-2002, 01:11 PM
panaka gone...well.....i never really liked him anyways...:rolleyes:

DeadEye
03-26-2002, 01:24 PM
same here.

Jargo
03-26-2002, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry, I was under the impression when I stumbled on this thread that it was a discussion. Instead i find that it's simply a matter of you people agreeing dumbly with each other. You get detention three weeks running for blind stupidity in the face of logic and reason!

Panaka is the head of the Royal household security ergo he stays on Naboo with the Queen elect.

Typho is Panaka's nephew and works as Padme's head of security (read - loyal bodyguard). Accompanying her wherever she travels.

It's that simple. We all can see it, why can't you?

JEDIpartner
03-26-2002, 01:56 PM
it's simply a matter of you people agreeing dumbly with each other.

SOMEONE has to fill that role since a certain member has been missing for a few days. :rolleyes: ;)

LTBasker
03-26-2002, 02:39 PM
If you're talking about who I think you're talking about... :frus:

Panaka was too uptight and I think they should've added to his role, he seemed to act like he was there by force and he didn't like the Jedi, nor the Queen. Hope the guy playing Typho does better...

Jargo
03-26-2002, 02:57 PM
"There's one - set for brainwash....."

Hugh Quarshie is comfortable when he gets the star billing. If he feels his ego is being bruised and that he has to play second fiddle like he did to R2-D2 then he throws a strop. I've seen him do this in other projects. he's a big brat. He needs to get over it and start behaving like a professional. No project is about the star. it's about the project and anyone who kicks up a fusss about their billing should be sacked. If i was a director and one of my actors started creating I'd sack their butt faster than you can say supercallifragilisticexpealidocious!

LTBasker
03-26-2002, 03:04 PM
Or they just wouldn't notice from being flabberghasted that someone can actually spell supercaliwhatever. :p

Still though, if George and Hugh had put more into the role of Panaka, he would've probably been a little more exciting, did we really ever see CAPTAIN Panaka ever take charge of a squad? Not that I remember... Even OOM-9 was better than Captain Panaka. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-26-2002, 07:12 PM
Isn't Typho the nephew of Panaka or some crap like that?

Battle Droid
03-26-2002, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I believe so.

I like when Obi Wan gave Panaka the evil eye, for bad mouthing Qui Gon.

Jargo
03-26-2002, 09:50 PM
Guess I might as well talk to thin air for all the notice people seem to take of my posts. maybe I made more ignore lists than I banked on..... That's kinda cool. means I'm irritating on one or more levels. I like to be the fly in the ointment. It's such a worthwhile position to be in. It means that when people use the ointment to try to ease what ails, they're just smearing my fly poo all over the place....... I'm talking poop here and I know it but seeing as no-one pays any attention to what I say it really matters not one jot. If no-one reads me then how will they know that I'm not insulting them behind their backs? Not that I'd waste my time or effort on such a purile and facile pursuit. I could have mentioned that Hugh Quarshie is now playing a doctor in a long running show called Holby City, A spin off from aanother hospital show where Hugh only got a bit part as one of the Ambulance paramedics dad. He absolutely stank in that role because it was a bill paying role that actors take when the cash is low. Now he's got a better role he seems very pleased with himself. His acting seems to improve the more cash he gets paid. How very unprofessional of him.
I was going to say all that but why bother when no-one listens...?

chewie
03-26-2002, 10:28 PM
What'd you say Jargo?

*adds Jargo to ignore list*

:D

j/k

Jedi Clint
03-26-2002, 10:31 PM
Awwww....Jargo you know I read your posts........cause I have to.....JUST KIDDING. I never stopped to consider what effect ignore lists have on a discussion...........

LTBasker
03-26-2002, 11:40 PM
It's not terrible that he's gone, but why did we get stuck with the pirate nephew? :p I guess the Panaka and Typho characters are just there to fill the screen instead of some anomynous officer, oh well. It's another figure to customize for more troops. :cool:

pthfnder89
03-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
It's not terrible that he's gone, but why did we get stuck with the pirate nephew? :p I guess the Panaka and Typho characters are just there to fill the screen instead of some anomynous officer, oh well. It's another figure to customize for more troops. :cool:

I'm not too disappointed with Panakas disappearance either. I mean, who took charge of the raid on the Palace at the end of TPM? Panaka who should have a couple decades of security or military experience, or a 15 year old girl? ;) If he's that useless, he might as well be ditched.

I remember reading that Typho was Panakas nephew also, but I'm wondering if that was just a rumour from long ago?

Jargo
03-27-2002, 03:29 PM
Typho being Panaka's nephew came from Jay Lag'aia the punk who plays Typho. He pointed it out in an official interview if memory serves me well. Or it may in fact have been on the official site itself in one of their progress reports. I think if anything, it may prove to be one of those things that actors do to justify a performance and get a handle on a character if the background is sketchy. Just to flesh out the missing biography of the person being portrayed. "Why am I? How am I? Who am I?" sort of existential searching. :) trust me, I'm an actor. Maybe Lucas liked the idea and let Jay run with it. maybe it was Lucas who thought it up on the day of filming. It really doesn't matter at the end of the day though. He's only a minor character. What does he get - four scenes? not even as many as Panaka. But at least Jay looks like he's enjoying himself unlike Hugh. Jay is a star wars fan himself. Good on yer jay! :D

JEDIpartner
03-28-2002, 11:28 AM
I didn't know that Typho was Captain Pancake's nephew. I thought he'd be more related to Typhoid Mary... Don't worry Jargo... you'll never be on MY ignore list. I know I'M on several ignore lists these days. And personally... I couldn't care less. I like to hear the sound of my own voice, as a matter of fact! ;)

pthfnder89
03-28-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I didn't know that Typho was Captain Pancake's nephew. I thought he'd be more related to Typhoid Mary... Don't worry Jargo... you'll never be on MY ignore list. I know I'M on several ignore lists these days. And personally... I couldn't care less. I like to hear the sound of my own voice, as a matter of fact! ;)

Lol, and we all love it too JEDIpartnr! :D:D:p

JEDIpartner
03-28-2002, 02:32 PM
Shucks!! Thanks for caring, bud! :happy:

Wolfwood319
03-28-2002, 02:58 PM
Holby City, interesting. Reminds of me cheese for some reason...
Is it all about doctors and hospital workers, or a city in general?

Anyway, I wasn't pleased with Hugh's performance in TPM either. He didn't get into the role at all (not that anybody else did an outstanding job at this.:( ) Actors always seem to give better performances when they like their character. Hugh always looked snobbish to me anyway. I heard he was a real jerk at Celebration I.

Jargo
03-28-2002, 03:43 PM
Yeah, Hugh plays a Paediatric surgeon I think, and the whole thing is based around the hospital which is supposedly in Bristol.

I reckon any actor should invest the same amount of effort into each role they play regardless of the size of the role or the money involved. If there's no backstory to the character then you make it up in your head. That doesn't come across in the performance to the audience other than your character seems more real because you as an actor know what motivates the character. Even without doing any method acting or going into any great depth you can make a character come alive for a few brief seconds. This is what Alathea McGrath the actress playing Madame Jocasta Nu did and I bet for her few seconds of screen time she blows Hugh away. What a lazy arrogant man. I don't like him. On the other hand I do like Jay Lag'aia because I've seen him perform before and he's cool. :) I don't care if Jay doesn't shine in AOTC, I like him. I can forgive him a bad turn because of that. But I think he'll do okay.

Wolfwood319
03-28-2002, 10:10 PM
It seems hospital shows have invaded the UK as well. I agree that actors should invest the most effort in every role, but a lot of them don't. That's just human nature I suppose.

BTW, Jargo, that is one of the more disturbing avatars I've seen you have in a while. The best was still the officer Cartman though.;)

2-1B
05-08-2002, 10:27 PM
I was not too thrilled when Panaka showed up at the beginning of the novelization, but it did explain that Typho lost his eye during the Naboo blockade battle. Maybe George will add that to his UberEdition of TPM. :rolleyes:

I'd give a brief clip of his mention, but I loaned the book to a friend.

jeffonthego
05-17-2002, 02:45 AM
A small detail, but I'm curious...

Watching AOTC, thought they changed the actor for Padme's Captain. Now realize that there's a Typho and a Panaka.

Just curious if that was always the plan (don't remember anything Panaka dying for instance) or if they needed to change the character?

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Tks.

jeffonthego
05-17-2002, 02:48 AM
Sorry got my words jumbled a bit...

Meant to say, wondering if they needed to change the "actor"...

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 02:50 AM
Panaka is Typho's Uncle.

Beast
05-17-2002, 02:58 AM
Hugh Quarshie, the guy that played Captain Panaka in E1, decided to get greedy and demanded more money for E2. Instead of caving to that demand, Lucas handed him his walking papers and rewrote the part for a new charecter, Captain Typho. A much better choice in my opinion, I didn't really like the Panaka charecter. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-17-2002, 03:07 AM
I like Captain Typho, his accent his cool. :)
I thought the scene of he and Obi-Wan seeing their respective charges heading off to Naboo was fun.
I wish Salvatore would have dropped the nephew relationship, I don't like him being associated with Panaka. :stupid:

Beast
05-17-2002, 03:10 AM
I liked that scene also, Caeser. But I really loved the scene where Anakin is getting verbally chastized by Obi-Wan in Padme's Apartment by Obi-Wan, and they show everyone's reactions to them squabbling. Love the look on Typho and Jar Jar's faces in that scene. It's priceless. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jeffonthego
05-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Don't really mind that Panaka is gone, he's a relatively minor character (the actor's crazy to have passed on the exposure!).

However, I think that Lucas should have just come with a completely different character. It took me a scene or too to clue in on that was a different actor, which made me feel like Lucas was trying to pull a fast one.

No big deal really, but no point try get a double in and just changing the name, better to make a clean break with a completely fresh character...in my opinion.

jeffonthego
05-17-2002, 09:03 AM
Just to clarify, nothing against Typho, he's fine, and don't understand the bashing of Panaka either. Had no problems with him in TPM...

jeffonthego
05-17-2002, 09:04 AM
...lastly, this "uncle" stuff reminds me of when the producers of Dukes of Hazzard temporarily replaced Bo and Luke with two "cousins" who just happened to look identical to the original actors... I mean c'mon, if you have to make a change, develop some fresh characters...

2-1B
05-17-2002, 12:06 PM
At least the relationship is not revealed on screen, I'm positive most people in the theater didn't know he was Panaka's nephew.
To most people he's just a different, younger head of security. It would have been pretty silly if he introduced himself to Obi-Wan that way. :D

JediTricks
05-18-2002, 02:49 PM
I heard Hugh Quarshie wanted to see a copy of the script first because he was concerned that his part would be very small and pointless and Lucas didn't wanna give him a copy of said script; and THAT'S why he passed on the film, not money.

While I think Jay Laga'aia is a pretty good actor (at least, in the few things I've seen him in, most memorable being Xena: Warrior Princess), I think his delivery here was terrible - Typho was, IMO of course, a big step down from Panaka in terms of roles and on-screen performances.

Dexter
05-18-2002, 02:59 PM
Huh? Why WOULD Captain Panaka be in AOTC? He's Naboo Captain of Security... he has no place in AOTC. He certainly wouldn't leave that prestiguous role just to hang out with a senator. I think we can safely assume he lives happily ever after off-camera with the new Queen. Good riddance. :evil:

Banthaholic
07-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Hugh Quarshie, the guy that played Captain Panaka in E1, decided to get greedy and demanded more money for E2. Instead of caving to that demand, Lucas handed him his walking papers and rewrote the part for a new charecter, Captain Typho. A much better choice in my opinion, I didn't really like the Panaka charecter. :)

This still makes me laugh every time I hear Panaka's name.

We really did luck out in the end. The guy that plays Typho seems to have a genuine interest in the Saga.

I could only imagine if Panaka stayed in for E2, then when E3 came around he'd have the scene rewrote so he accompanied Padme to Mustafar, but before they were to take off he spotted Obi Wan Kenobi. This delayed the voyage and Padme gave birth to the twins on some Spaceport on the way to Mustafar while Panaka was gasing up the ship. Needless to say the entire balance was shifted due to the greed of the actor playing Panaka.

JediTricks
07-28-2006, 07:43 PM
We really did luck out in the end. The guy that plays Typho seems to have a genuine interest in the Saga. If only he hadn't been totally awful in the part: "I guess you were right, there was no danger after all." Good lord, my cat could have read that line better! Maybe it's Lucas' crappy directing, but the guy saying it is the one most easily blamed. There wasn't a single well-delivered line from the Typho character.

Banthaholic
07-28-2006, 08:10 PM
If only he hadn't been totally awful in the part: "I guess you were right, there was no danger after all." Good lord, my cat could have read that line better! Maybe it's Lucas' crappy directing, but the guy saying it is the one most easily blamed. There wasn't a single well-delivered line from the Typho character.
Or maybe Jay's acting was so on that he figured that if Panaka couldn't act that neither could his nephew, so his acting on not being able to act was just an act, savvy

2-1B
07-30-2006, 02:26 AM
Huh? Why WOULD Captain Panaka be in AOTC? He's Naboo Captain of Security... he has no place in AOTC. He certainly wouldn't leave that prestiguous role just to hang out with a senator. I think we can safely assume he lives happily ever after off-camera with the new Queen. Good riddance. :evil:

Then why wasn't he with Jamilla during her conference with Padme and Anakin?
And why wasn't he with Apilaino (sic? whatever the **** castle-hughes' name was...) during Padme's funeral? :D

Good lord, my cat could have read that line better!

JT, I didn't know your cat could read! :D

JediTricks
07-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Or maybe Jay's acting was so on that he figured that if Panaka couldn't act that neither could his nephew, so his acting on not being able to act was just an act, savvy I disagree with the claim that Panaka was portrayed with bad acting, I think it was a fairly good performance, far better than Jay Laga'aia's lifeless droning. Just because Hugh Quarshie spurned Ep 2 because Lucas wouldn't let him read the full script and wasn't giving his character a more interesting part in the movie doesn't mean his work was bad even if SW fans resent him.

2-1B
07-30-2006, 11:06 PM
I resent him for his bad acting, not for snubbing the prequel sequel.

El Chuxter
07-31-2006, 07:30 AM
I disagree with the claim that Panaka was portrayed with bad acting....

I present you to Exhibit A:

We're sitting ducks.

And Exhibit B:

You can't take her there. The Hutts are gangstas.

If that's not bad acting, the dude who played Hobbie deserved an Oscar.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-31-2006, 11:57 AM
It took me forever to figure out what Panaka said to Anakin and Obi-Wan:

I know I'll feel better having you around.
Sounded like:

I know alpha beta having you around.

I had NO idea what that was due to his Australian accent. But I figured it out in the end so it all worked out just fine. :D

2-1B
07-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Typho said that, not Panaka. :)

JediTricks
07-31-2006, 03:48 PM
I present you to Exhibit A:
We're sitting ducks.

And Exhibit B:
You can't take her there. The Hutts are gangstas.

If that's not bad acting, the dude who played Hobbie deserved an Oscar.Blame the script for the stupid lines. I thought that "hutts" line at least expressed real concern, unlike the goofy "two fighters against a star destroyer?"

It took me forever to figure out what Panaka said to Anakin and Obi-Wan:

I had NO idea what that was due to his Australian accent.You mean "Typho", not "Panaka", and it's not Australian, it's New Zealand, but yeah, he stomped that line to death - though I think the problem isn't the accent, it's the man behind it. :p (that's not even fair, Jay Laga'aia wasn't half as bad on Xena: Warrior Princess as he was in Ep 2... I wouldn't say Ep 2 was worse than Xena, even if I thought it. ;))

Banthaholic
07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
I still think that Typho's bad acting had alot to do with playing a bad character. the character itself was weak-minded as was proven when Yoda used a Jedi-mind trick to trick him into flying to Ilum in the CW.

Panaka on the other hand was a horrible part of Ep1. It has nothing to do with his hold-out of Ep2 (though I get a kick our of his decision). The first time I saw Phantom Menace the things that bugged me the most and still do was the two pilots aboard the Repbulic Cruiser in the beginning of the movie and Panaka. All of these characters just didn't belong in the movie.

*** edited Typo, happy now :)

El Chuxter
07-31-2006, 07:45 PM
I still think that Tycho's bad acting had alot to do with playing a bad character.

I've met Tycho. He's not acting. :eek:

:p

2-1B
07-31-2006, 11:53 PM
That's what I heard too from a fellow SSGer, that Tycho is exactly the same in person as he is on the 'net - bragging about himself and such.

So I wouldn't think he's acting, either. :)

JediTricks
08-01-2006, 03:30 PM
I still think that Tycho's bad acting had alot to do with playing a bad character.I dunno, "I guess I was wrong, there was no danger after all" I think has to be the worst-delivered line in all of Star Wars, and the only people responsible for such a horrid reading would be the actor and the director.

Panaka on the other hand was a horrible part of Ep1. It has nothing to do with his hold-out of Ep2 (though I get a kick our of his decision). The first time I saw Phantom Menace the things that bugged me the most and still do was the two pilots aboard the Repbulic Cruiser in the beginning of the movie and Panaka. All of these characters just didn't belong in the movie.I disagree about Panaka, he's the only voice of reason in protecting the queen and her interests, the Jedi seem content to do whatever they please without really considering all the real issues since they are essentially "above" those issues.