PDA

View Full Version : The SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Round 1 - Fight 16!!!

Tycho
05-17-2002, 05:55 AM
It's Zam Wessel's Speeder versus Anakin Skywalker's in the final Preliminary Round of SSG's Battle of the Machines!

And it starts now!

Zam Wessel's flashy green and yellow speeder holds one action figure in its opening cockpit, and features a detailed interior with adjustable steering controls and foot pedals. But the craft's most ingenious play feature is its crash 'n bash action that lets you smash the front end of the speeder in, with engine panels flying off, simulating a crash just like in the movie! Each side operates independently, so you decide the amount of damage that is done during the dangerous work of that of a bounty hunter! At the press of a button, the vehicle repairs itself!

Anakin Skywalker can't be faulted for picking just as easily an impressive craft. His yellow, open-top sportster features a detailed interior that seats two Jedi on a mission! But Jedi missions are rather dangerous and this craft shows some indication of occupational hazards with its own crash 'n bash feature that lets you crumple in the front end, causing pieces of the bodywork to go flying in two directions! A touch of a button and your air speeder is almost restored "fully new" and you're ready to race and chase through Coruscant's skylanes again!

Which vehicle will win to go on to the Quarterfinal challenges to determine what Star Wars craft will be the Ultimate Best Hasbro Star Wars ship of all time?

You decide now!

chrisc
05-17-2002, 09:44 AM
I think Zam's speeder is the better of the two. Anakins reminds me of something you scrap for the parts. I think Anakins speeder would be more of a match for Luke's landspeeder. Of cours thats just my opinion.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-17-2002, 10:06 AM
From the looks of the poll so far, this one's a runaway.

The Zam speeder is so much better than Ani's. It's sleeker, has a better color scheme, and has a enclosed cockpit. While I don't have either of them, I am planning on getting the Zam speeder today at the KMart sale. The Ani one can wait until it goes on clearance. I've heard from several people that it's very difficult to fit two figures easily, while the Zam fits much better in hers.

I give Kudos to Hasbro on both of these, though. I'm glad they tried to keep the cost down while still providing a good basic vehicle for collectors.

Dak Powers
05-17-2002, 10:16 AM
lol, You're runnin' out of toys to participate, aren't you, Celchu :)

As much as a minority it seems, I like Anakin's a lot. The open cockpit, the right speed, and the really gonzo colour just jump out at me more than Wesell's. I don't like her anyway.

bigbarada
05-17-2002, 10:32 AM
Another vote between two vehicles I have never seen. In any case I pick Anakin's Speeder since of the two that is the one I plan to buy.

CaptainSolo1138
05-17-2002, 12:32 PM
I don't have either, but I really liked Ani's speeder. I had good speed capabilities, and is such a gonzo color. Seriously though, I didn't like Zam's for some reason. It just didn't look right to me

chrisc
05-17-2002, 01:52 PM
Ha!!!!!! With judgment like that what could look normal?

Darth Grifter
05-17-2002, 02:00 PM
I have to give it to Zam's Speeder. If you look at sheer pity, you have to give it to her because she looses an arm. Plus, it's just cooler looking and seems to handle better. The toys do fit easier into the Zam speeder as well. Four reasons to vote for Zam.

General Warpig
05-17-2002, 02:58 PM
I bought "Annie's" Speeder yesterday,i was plesantley surprised with the "crash & burn" feature and more than miffed at the seateing arrangements.How the hell do you get a figure in there?Let alone two!!!!!!!!!!.I think Hasbro is setting us up for an Anakin and Obi-wan speeder figures(MAN! thats cheap).
I've yet to get Zam's speeder but Double damage,enclosed cockpit,adjustable controls and a foxy owner sounds better to me.
My vote is for Zam.Anakins speeder is nothing but an ode to American Graffiti.Zam's has that Tie/Droid Fighter-esque shape!

"I've seen things you people
would'nt believe !" Batty/Bladerunner

plo kloon
05-17-2002, 08:54 PM
I like zam's the best.Anakins looks more like an air taxi or something.

dr_evazan22
05-18-2002, 12:19 AM
I'm a little surprised that ZAm's speeder is winning this!

As a toy, I thinnk it is dificult to get Zam to sit in her cockpit chair. A negative for both is the, IMO, creepy rubber feel of the collapse zone. I think it's a great feature, but I can't stand touching it

My vote is for Ani's gonzo speeder.

Tycho
05-18-2002, 02:21 AM
I did a little bit of editing to the post before my post and immediately after this one, as a little bit too much personal information was shared.

I don't think it was taken to be as funny as people thought it would be, but I appologize any time I have to edit anyone.

:(

Rogue II
05-18-2002, 05:34 AM
I obstain from voting

But I do think Anakin's speeder looks cooler but I won't buy either of the 2.

Tycho
05-18-2002, 12:58 PM
How come Rogue 2 ?

Rogue II
05-18-2002, 01:25 PM
I limit my collection to Classic Trilogy.

Although, I could just pretend that Anakin's speeder is in the background somewhere in Mos Eisley, when Luke and Ben are on their way to the cantina.

JediTricks
05-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
From the looks of the poll so far, this one's a runaway. The Zam speeder is so much better than Ani's.... While I don't have either of them... I've heard from several people that it's very difficult to fit two figures easily, while the Zam fits much better in hers.See, if you already HAD Zam's speeder, I think you might change your mind. I have both speeders and I chose Anakin's speeder because Zam's speeder is too small and the cockpit is hopeless. You cannot fit a Zam figure in there properly - I have not seen any evidence of this possibility. The figure just lays there and bounces around, the lower skirt keeps her from even laying down properly and her hands are impossible to put around the controls. This thing is a Zam Wesell bed - she literally lays down looking straight up out the rear window - and it's one that's hard to get the figure into properly because the opening is so small.

The Ani Speeder, on the other hand, is very accurate even if it's also too small to be in scale (though Zam's speeder is more out of scale IMO). I've gotten 2 figures to fit in it with little difficulty, the only problem I ran into was the preposed arms get in the way of each other and the sides because they're so extremely posed. Even the crash-n-bash feature on this speeder is better than Zam's IMO.

For those who say they can't get figs into the Ani speeder, try just wedging the feet under the dash and let the heads go slightly over the headrests. On some figures, you'll have to turn the waist to the side a little, but it doesn't look out of place really.

Tycho
05-18-2002, 02:18 PM
What does look out of place is using any of these speeders off planet (in scenes).

Rogue 2, I think you'll find that Anakin's speeder is just too "nice" to place in a Mos Eisley diorama -either entirely, or without repainting it and making it look dirty and old. The design looks too sporty and 'rich' for Tatooine anyway, though.

Just like the Naboo Flash Speeder. I can't see that being used at all on Tatooine without massive repainting (and losing the gun on top which then just leaves a big blank hole).

Plus I think Luke's and the Naboo are LANDspeeders, and Zam's and Anakin's are AIRspeeders. I have trouble seeing Luke's or the Naboo Security's speeders flying through Coruscant. I don't think they can.

For Mos Eisley, I really want HASBRO to make Uncle Owen's landspeeder from ANH (in the garage when Luke uses the restraining bolt activator on 3PO when he learns R2 has run off). You later see a variation of that model driving through Mos Eisley when Luke and Ben get there.

On Naboo, the Gian Speeder could be done (a 4 seater, armored car that Padme plans the assualt on Theed over - when R2 projects the palace hologram).

Also, on Naboo, they had water speeders seen when the Gungan sub surfaces. I'd rather have the Gungan sub, but if Hasbro is even going to THINK about doing cheap, affordable vehicles, like the old Kenner mini-rigs, then they should at least make stuff from the movies!

On Coruscant, from AOTC, the air taxi would be great. With either a Dug passenger, or a Bothan taxi-cab driver from TPM's added scenes.

Other airspeeders like the ones seen behind Maul and Sidious on the balcony (from Bladerunner or Back to the Future II ?) would be cool as well!

Anyway, back to the voting. Obviously the question in BotM's is whether Zam's or Anakin's speeder can take on Luke's Landspeeder in the Quarterfinals. It's the obvious match so I hope I didn't spoil anyone's surprise there. (doubt it). But I'll also have a unique way to rank the speeders attached to that poll. So there will definitely be something new and fun to look forward to.

JediTricks, while I voted for Zam's because I like the crash feature better myself, you make me second guess myself as you made a great case for Anakin's speeder. Hmmmm. Food for thought. But I really remember how much I was impressed with the E2 speeders when I really didn't think I'd like them that much!

Woah! Good toys! :D

Magic-Middle
05-18-2002, 02:39 PM
I think that Zam's speeder is better as it looks like the jaws of a killer fish. It just looks more intimidating, faster and more stylish. Anakin's speeder reminds me of my grandmother's old 70's cadalac with the front cot off.

JediTricks
05-18-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
JediTricks, while I voted for Zam's because I like the crash feature better myself, you make me second guess myself as you made a great case for Anakin's speeder. Hmmmm. Food for thought. But I really remember how much I was impressed with the E2 speeders when I really didn't think I'd like them that much!Well, as mod, you can always change your vote. :D

Remember gang, you are voting on the toys, not on the movie props.

NiktosRule
05-18-2002, 05:39 PM
I voted for Zam's because it looks better. I have both but neither are opened just yet. They are birthday presents. Zam's speed just has a more unique look to it.

JangoTango
05-21-2002, 11:11 AM
Don't getta me wrongo, I must say that I voted for Ani's speeder, but not without some quick thought. The first thing that came to mind is the fact that Zam just doesn't fit in hers, aside from the fact that the cockpit door is on the side in the film. Maybe fine for the kids that will actually play with it, but mine's gonna sit on a shelf diorama-style. I also don't like how the tail fins just DON'T bend back straight if they're a little bent in the original packaging.
I haven't tried to get Obi/Ani in the other one yet, but if you think about it, how long were they BOTH actually in it together in the movie anyway? Therefore it should easily seat ONE figure.
(Not to mention that it isn't really Anakin's, but stolen off the lot... let's just hope it was either compensated for by the noble jedi, or was well insured!!) :eek:
Would've been nice to see more of Zam in the future though!:crazed:

LusiferSam
05-21-2002, 11:35 AM
Well I wanted to see the movie before I voted on this one. This was a hard one, but I voted for Zam's speeder because it was truer to the movie. Anakin's speeder didn't crash, so even though I think the "crash and bash" looks better on Anakin's Zam's is the only one this should have been on. As for getting figures in either speeder, I could get one of my Zams in there but not well. And so far none of the Obi-Wan or Anakin figures will work.

JediTricks
05-21-2002, 06:44 PM
If you folks can't get Obi-Wan or Ani HD or even Ani OPD to fit in your speeder, you might doing something wrong. The figures aren't supposed to get their knees under the dashboard, only their feet. I have NO trouble getting any 1 of those 3 figures into either seat on this vehicle, and the only problems I have getting both an Ani and an Obi-Wan figure in at the same time are the arms (and that's really just for accuracy's sake, I could easily have a figure hold his arm up in the air to compensate).

If this is the criteria for the poor vote results on this vehicle, then I think the voters may need to go do a little research on the matter and reconsider their votes. :D

Tycho
05-21-2002, 07:17 PM
Either way, the winning speeder in this round is going agaist Luke's landspeeder - a time tested perfect vehicle since 1978, retooled for better details today.

With the issues the new speeders are bringing up, I don't think they'll have a chance against Luke's, JT.

I'm all into Zam's, but the more I think about what people have posted here, including you JT, the more I see wrong with the new speeders. Except the crash features are seriously taking toy gimmicks in the right direction for vehicles! You can't argue that. Nice job Hasbro! That's why I liked Zam's - half crashed or Totalled!

JediTricks
05-21-2002, 09:49 PM
We'll see if the crash features withstand the test of time, I don't think that rubber will survive 6 months of light play.

As for Luke's landspeeder, I'd definitely have to think twice because that one is no picnic either - so I think it'll be an interesting match up.

2-1B
05-22-2002, 02:47 AM
Anakin's Speeder for me.
I'd like a little more width (as JT highlighted the "arm issue"), but I can deal with that much more than putting the Zam figure in her speeder. In that respect, maybe my vote is tainted by the job Hasbro did on the Saga Zam. Oh well, they should have made them compatible. :D

Lord Tenebrous
05-22-2002, 11:57 AM
Zam's, I think, is the better homage to a muscle car, something we all know George loves.

Add some fiberglass around the curves, put in an engine and wheels, and you have a Corvette Stingray.

Anakin's has yet to grip me in any way as far as design.

JediTricks
05-22-2002, 04:19 PM
Isn't it interesting how we see things differently? I saw the connection to the old roadsters of the 40s and 50s with Ani's speeder the first time I saw the design on SW.com, but with Zam's speeder, it took me a while to even make a connection to an automobile. When I did, I thought it looked more like one of those modern cars trying to recapture the feel of the '60s/'70s 2-door luxury/sports sedan.

The True Maul
05-26-2002, 01:23 PM
I forgot to put my answer in and my vote well the one I wanted to win won anyway.