PDA

View Full Version : Obi Wan vs. the Acklay

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 03:25 PM
Like Anakin did the Reek.

Can only Anakin do it?

Beast
05-17-2002, 03:29 PM
The Reek is a naturally docile creature, not even a carnivore according to the visual dictionary. The Geonosians starved it and forced it to eat meat. That's most likely why Anakin could calm it some. The acklay seems to be a very agressive beastie, so I don't think Obi-Wan would have had much chance to calm it, without it ripping him to shreads first. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 03:31 PM
Good point Jar Jar. :D

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 03:41 PM
I can't wait to the Acklay toy comes out, it was my favorite Arena Beasty.

JEDIpartner
05-17-2002, 04:02 PM
That thing was nasty looking with all those claws!!! I LOVED the Acklay. The Nexu was pretty cool. I can't wait to get that as a deluxe figure. Too bad he doesn't come with a better Padme Pack-in figure.

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I want the Nexu too, it's electronic, hopefully it'll sound the same way it does in the film. :D

Beast
05-17-2002, 04:13 PM
I loved the Nexu, anyone else do Crow T. Robot from MST3K when it walked out and say "Kitty" out loud. I was scared someone in the theater heard me. :D

I noticed that unlike originally reported, Obi-Wan did indeed slash the stomach of the Acklay in the movie, but of course you don't see the guts spill out like the toy has. :cool:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
05-17-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
The Reek is a naturally docile creature, not even a carnivore according to the visual dictionary. The Geonosians starved it and forced it to eat meat. That's most likely why Anakin could calm it some. The acklay seems to be a very agressive beastie, so I don't think Obi-Wan would have had much chance to calm it, without it ripping him to shreads first. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yeah, the Reek seemed a little miffed, but if the Arena door had been open I got the feeling he would rather have just left instead of attacking.:)

Whereas the Acklay just plain seemed ****Y! He was very ready to tear Obi Wan a new one.

Jedi Clint
05-17-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
That thing was nasty looking with all those claws!!! I LOVED the Acklay. The Nexu was pretty cool. I can't wait to get that as a deluxe figure. Too bad he doesn't come with a better Padme Pack-in figure.

I feel the exact same way! When I first heard it was going to be a deluxe figure, I thought what a great opportunity to get a better Padme. Oh well :(.

In regards to the initial question in this topic: I thought that Obi Wan was just trying to keep from being killed by the gigantic angry bug.

hango fett
05-17-2002, 08:25 PM
that was very cool. i love at the end when obi slices off the front two legs, it falls down, he hits it in the side the holds his saber high and kills him! i also loved the way his hair was when he was going for the final blow...cool look!

as always,
HF

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 08:29 PM
I did, I loved when the Acklay speared the Geonosian, kinda sad when Obi-Wan killed the Acklay though.

chewie
05-17-2002, 09:23 PM
I was surprised that both the Reek and the Acklay made it as long as they did after the droids came out blasting. With droids shooting in every direction and jedi deflecting their shots to go off in even more directions, you'd have thought that those two enormous beasts would have bitten it far earlier in the fight than they did. Much more dramatic that way I suppose.

Anyway. That poor acklay. Its just a simple little predatorial animal that was taken from its environment and thrust into a situation totally unnatural and with bad caretaking. And then to be chopped up in one of the most brutal jedi attacks I have ever seen made me a bit sad for that cgi rendered creature.

JediTricks
05-18-2002, 04:09 PM
Yeah Chewie, I know what you mean about that Jedi attack being brutal. I felt like Ani could have pulled that sort of cruelty off, but Obi-Wan? There was no reason to torture it so, he could have just cut the thing's head off in one move rather than butcher it alive.

DeadEye
05-18-2002, 04:19 PM
Did anyone else notice how the Acklay sounded just like the bugs in Starship Troopers?