PDA

View Full Version : Jar Jar and the emergency powers.

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 10:49 PM
I don't know if anyone else found this, I hadn't seen this discussed yet.

On the back of the card for the AOTC Jar Jar figure, it says that Jar Jar is manipulated and he is the senator that starts the motion to give Palpatine absolute power.

Thanks to SirSteve for the picture and info.

Beast
04-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Yeah, there was a little discussion about it in the spoiler section, as well as the AOTC's figure section when carded back photos first surfaced. See, everyone that said that seeing the figures and cards before the movie came out didn't reveal spoilers were mistaken, from a certain point of view. :D Actually, that is a pretty big spoiler for Hasbro to slap on the back of a card like that.

Makes me wonder what it says on the Zam Wesell figure with snap on clawdite face and removable arm. "Zam Wesell attempting to sneak up behind Obi-Wan in the Coruscant Nightclub looses her arm to his lightsaber. Later after she is killed by a mysterious assassin, she reverts to her original state, a strange alien called a clawdite." :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jedihunter25
04-03-2002, 10:59 PM
Well they picked the perfect clown to screw things up. I think that's why he was chosen to be a senator. It was planned.

Lord Tenebrous
04-03-2002, 11:02 PM
The full chain to Jar Jar's involvement is as follows:

After the hologram of Obi-Wan has faded, Bail Organa is the first to raise his voice. “The Commerce Guilds are preparing for war...there can be no doubt of that.”
There is a somber atmosphere. Palpatine remarks that Count Dooku must have made a treaty with them.

The Jedi realize what has to be done. “We must stop them soon before they're fully ready,” says Mace Windu.

Senator Ask Aak tells them that the debate is over, they need that clone army now!

Bail disagrees that, unfortunately, the debate is not over. “The Senate will never be able to approve the use of that army before the seperatists attack.”

Mas Amedda, who had been silent up until now suddenly speaks up: “This is a crisis!” He proposes that if the Senate votes the Chancellor emergency powers, he could approve the use of the army in a minute.

But Palpatine quickly intervenes. “Please, please, I don't wish to have emergency powers”. He believes it to be too extreme a solution. “It's akin to a dictatorship”. He says they must rely on the Jedi. “Master Yoda, how many are available to go to Geonosis?”

Mace Windu and Yoda look at one another.

Yoda calculates the number of Jedi at their immediate disposal.”Two Hundred,.....less or more”.

Bail Organa is stunned and exclaims that, with all due respect, two hundred will be no match for hundreds of thousands of battle droids.

“Patience”, comes Mace Windu’s reply. He suggests they must wait for Obi-Wan to report back. “We don't know that Count Dooku has made a treaty with the Corporate Alliance, it's speculation.”

Senator Ask Aak believes they must prepare for the worst. “I'm going to propose a motion granting emergency powers to the Chancellor at the next session. We must not wait!”

At this Palpatine intervenes: “Out of the question, Senator! You and I are too closely aligned”. He says the issue will become partisan and debates will begin. The proposal must come from a neutral source.

“If only Senator Amidala were here”, muses Mas Amedda.

Suddenly Jar Jar steps forward from the back of the group. “Supreme Chancellor...my august colleagues, I would be proud to propose the motion in question”. He remarks that this is a grave situation, and he’s sure Senator Amidala, and the Queen of Naboo would agree.

Ask Aak rejoices at this. “Thank you, Representative Binks.”

Silence. Then Palpatine sighs deeply. “If called upon, I will serve. But it will be the saddest day of my life.”

It's a great scene, in my humble opinion. :)

Wolfwood319
04-03-2002, 11:05 PM
Well, sorry for bringing it up again, but I just realized it now. I didn't remember seeing it in a thread, and I thought the Jar Jar pics were rather new. Oh well, you can close this if you need to.:)

Beast
04-03-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
It's a great scene, in my humble opinion. :)
I agree, cool scene. Really shows what a sneaky bastage Palpy is. He sure is good at manipulation, compared to the older Palpatine in ROTJ, he's now a much more intresting charecter. We finally get to see how well his scheming mind works in the prequels. All we did was hear him brag about it in ROTJ: "It was I that allowed the allience to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops await them. I'm afraid the deflector shield, will be quite operational when your friends arrive. " :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
04-03-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Well, sorry for bringing it up again, but I just realized it now. I didn't remember seeing it in a thread, and I thought the Jar Jar pics were rather new. Oh well, you can close this if you need to.:)
Nah, don't be sorry...gives us another chance to talk about how great old Palpy is an manipulation. Besides the thread that talked about it slipped off the front page. Besides, you know most of us Star Wars fans, we can debate, discuss, and talk about the same stuff over and over again. Why ya think the movies are still alive after 25 years. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
04-03-2002, 11:17 PM
And the sucker-punch is that Senator Amidala would have done the same as Jar Jar if she wasn't busy being tied up for execution. But the bashers win, and Jar Jar gets a hand in the crumbling Republic.

It's crazy the amount of manipulation, and Palpatine, like Anakin, has a very broad sense of what's to happen. Palpatine knows that Nute will enact revenge on Amidala, and that while the Senator is in hiding, he'd have the compassionate Gungan under his control. Heck, he even has Ask Aak under his thumb, the political comrade to Eidley Teem, the could-be Chancellor if Palpatine hadn't sabotaged the whole Senate.

You've got to love how evil this man is. :)

the thread that talked about it slipped off the front page

It was on page 7. :p

Beast
04-03-2002, 11:27 PM
You've got to love how evil this man is. :)
Of course you do, the man is good at what he does. I'm still thinking that Palpatine could be a clone of Sidious, but I will just speak of them as the same person in this post, cause it's easier. Besides, if he is a clone, he is pretty much the same person. :)

Now, if it really is true that he's also really the mastermind behind Shmi's death, then the man is definatly a great manipulator. Especially if you look at the last chapter of the novel for E1 where Sidious is looking out over Coruscant from the balcony and he smiles, even though Maul is dead.

Maul didn't matter, he probably figured that he was going to die anyway. He got what he wanted, so who cares who suffers or dies, as long as the goal is reached. Besides, Qui-Gon's death allowed him to get to Dooku, and he would have had to kill off Maul anyone, to meet the rule of two. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
04-03-2002, 11:31 PM
Good points everyone, further reasons why I think it would be foolish to have Palps turn out to be a clone. All of this manipulation should directly reflect back on the Emperor in ROTJ :)

Binksy, nice speculation on the Zam card :D But I would add to it, ". . .mysterious assassin named Jango Fett . . ." :D

2-1B
04-03-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I'm still thinking that Palpatine could be a clone of Sidious, but I will just speak of them as the same person in this post, cause it's easier. Besides, if he is a clone, he is pretty much the same person.

Oops, you posted that while I was composing my last post :)

I have to disagree that they would be essentially the same person. Genetically yes, mentally . . . not so likely. Now, I base this opinion on our Earthly knowledge of cloning, maybe the SW explanation is different - my understanding of it is that a clone is a completely new person. Physically the same but with his or her own intellect and reasoning abilities. If Sidious was cloned and he indoctrinated his clone for years, their thinking will be somewhat similar. But Palps would just be a slave of Sidious, existing just to do his bidding. That slave would always have the chance of deciding otherwise (unless his name is Lobot :D )

LTBasker
04-03-2002, 11:44 PM
Guard 1: "Dude, it's Senator Ask Aak."
Guard 2: "What?"
Guard 1: "Ask Aak!"
Guard 2: "What??"
Guard 1: "Ask... Aak!"
Guard 2&3: "Ask WHAT?"

I saw it....and I couldn't help myself. :p

That should be a very interesting scene, I wonder if E.T. is gonna make another appearance? :D

Actually Jar-Jar and an E.T. senator interacting would be a funny scene... Perfect for an easter egg on the DVD! :cool:

Beast
04-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I have to disagree that they would be essentially the same person. Genetically yes, mentally . . . not so likely. Now, I base this opinion on our Earthly knowledge of cloning, maybe the SW explanation is different - my understanding of it is that a clone is a completely new person. Physically the same but with his or her own intellect and reasoning abilities. If Sidious was cloned and he indoctrinated his clone for years, their thinking will be somewhat similar. But Palps would just be a slave of Sidious, existing just to do his bidding. That slave would always have the chance of deciding otherwise (unless his name is Lobot :D )
Yes, but what if its the same as with astromechs, that the Kaminoians discovered a way to download memories as well. Remember, they choose Jango not just for his physical superiority, but also his keen instancts. :) That could be what the clone children are being fed in the trailer, the life memories with minor tweaks of Jango.

And just imagine if it turns out that your correct, that Palpy would only be a slave of Sidious that could choose to decide somthing on his own. It would be an intresting scene to see Anakin go to see Palpatine in Episode III and as Palpatine turns in his chair away from the camera as he talks, we see Anakin raise his saber behind Palpatine and bring it down.

A definate shock for the audience that doesn't expect somthing like this. And then sweeping in behind Anakin as he finishes killing Palpatine is Sidious. He walks over to the chair, pushes the dead Palpy out of it to the floor and takes his seat. Now in control of the galaxy as the Emporer, and his puppet dead. Sure, it probably won't happen, but Lucas would have the last laugh over the people that think Sidious and Palpy are the same person. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
04-03-2002, 11:53 PM
So Jar Jar is the reason for the Fall of the Republic?

Figures.;)

Battle Droid
04-04-2002, 12:08 AM
"For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the Guardians of Peace and Justice in the Old Republic, before the Dark Times, before Jar Jar Binks."

Beast
04-04-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Battle Droid
So Jar Jar is the reason for the Fall of the Republic?
Figures.;)
Yeah, see...I told ya he was an Important charecter! See, if it wasn't for him, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon would have never found Theed, or needed to land on Tatooine and found Anakin. Qui-Gon never would have died. Dooku would have never left the Jedi, and joined up with Sidious. The Jedi's never would have been killed off, Palpatine would never have come to power, and Anakin never would have turned to the dark side. Oh, err...wait, what am I so happy for? J/K, I love the turn that Lucas is taking with the charecter. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 12:15 AM
I've had a similar question. Is Palpatine Nubian? Was he born there, or just sneaked his way into Nubian polotics like everything else he did.

I don't think Sidious is a clone of Palpy, or vice versa. I think Palpy is just so manipulative, that he has woven threads of lies that overlap each other and completely block out the truth. I'm sure he meant for Maul to die. If you think about it, with only 2 sith, the apprentice will always aspire to kill the master. Think Vader in ROTJ and SOTE.

Are we sure Maul is even dead? Sure he got cut in half, but characters have come back from a lot worse than that.;) It'd be cool to see Maul again, but I doubt we will. He really didn't do much at all when you think about it, just eye candy.

JEDIpartner
04-04-2002, 11:27 AM
Sidious and Palpatine are one and the same. Darth Maul's death was forseen by Sidious and a reason for Sidious to seek out a new apprentice- Anakin. Jar Jar may ultimately be the one who sees through Palpatine's ruse and actually helps the remaining holdouts of the old Republic.

2-1B
04-04-2002, 12:28 PM
Well Binksy, it looks like I must revise part of my theory on the clones. If that recent spoiler report is accurate, while manufactured they are stripped of free will. Apparently cloning in the SW universe is different than here (well, in addition to what we already "know" about the accelerated growth process :) )

Lord Tenebrous
04-04-2002, 04:44 PM
It's showtime for Jar Jar, and the dawn of the Empire. I'm guessing Yoda is in the Senate watching as well.

Beast
04-04-2002, 05:01 PM
It's showtime for Jar Jar, and the dawn of the Empire. I'm guessing Yoda is in the Senate watching as well.
Cool pic Lord Tenebrous, always looking forward to seeing a new Jar Jar picture. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
04-04-2002, 05:36 PM
No Gungan Senate Members joining Jar Jar?

2-1B
04-04-2002, 11:53 PM
Thanks Tenebrous, that's awesome :)

It seems that Hayden talks about "hugging" Jar Jar in the new Entertainment Weekly, I think he was referring to the CGI reality of hugging nothing. I wonder where this hugging scene will occur? From what I've seen, they only encounter each other in 1 or 2 scenes . . . am I missing something?

Lord Tenebrous
04-05-2002, 12:43 AM
Jar Jar hugs Anakin towards the beginning, after Padme has been calmed and brought back to her apartment. This is when he remarks, "Mesa busten wit happiness seein yousa again, Annie.
Deesa bad times, bombad times."

2-1B
04-05-2002, 12:49 AM
Thanks Tenebrous, I wasn't sure if it was a welcome or farewell hug. :)

Another question: will Anakin and Jar Jar see each other again by the end of the movie? Will their only interaction be at the beginning?

It should be interesting going into Episode III while wondering how their relationship turns out.

Battle Droid
04-05-2002, 01:14 AM
This comes from www.episode-x.com

Inside the great rotunda of the Galactic Senate, the uproar of the senate is deafening. Opposing Senators yell furiously at one another.
“Order! Order!!“ cries Mas Amedda over the noise. The squablling slowly dies down.
“In the regrettable absence of Senator Amidala,” begins Palpatine, “the chair recognizes the Senior Representative of Naboo, Jar Jar Binks.”
Amid a conflicting storm of cheers and boos, Jar Jar, with two Gungan aides, floats his pod to the middle of the vast space. He looks at Palpatine nervously. Palpatine nods. Jar Jar clears his throat.

“Senators, dellow felogates...” says Jar Jar. Laughter and jeers fill the Senate. Jar Jar blushes.
“Order!” cries Mas Amedda. “The Senate will accord the Representative the courtesy of a hearing.”
The rotunda goes comparatively quiet. Jar Jar grips the edge of his podium.

“In response to the direct threat to the Republic from the Confederacy of Independent Systems,” states Jar Jar, “I propose that the Senate give immediate emergency powers to the Supreme Chancellor.”

Uproar again fills the senate.
“Who can deny these are exceptional times?” says Jar Jar, “Exceptional times demand exceptional measures! Exceptional measures demand exceptional men!”
The pod for Ryloth swings into the centre.
“We won’t support a dictator!” states Senator Orn Free Taa amid shouts of agreement.
“That is a sentiment every one of us agrees with!” reminds Jar Jar to the Senator. “And when the shadow of war has dispersed and the bright day of liberty has dawned again, the power we now give to the Supreme Chancellor will be gladly, and swiftly returned.” The Senate goes quiet. “Our ancient liberties will be restored to us, burnished even more brightly than before!”

There is a rolling wave of applause. Jar Jar beams and bows. Palpatine rises.
“It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling,” declares Palpatine, “ I love democracy… I love the Republic. The fact that this crisis is demanding I be given absolute power to rule over you is evident. But I am mild by nature and have no desire to destroy the democratic process. The power you give me I will lay down when this crisis has abated, I promise you. And all I ask in return is when my current term of office is over, you allow me to retire and live out my life in peace.”
“We shall proceed to the vote,” says Mas Amedda. “All those in favor of granting emergency powers to the Supreme Chancellor, signal aye at this time… those opposed?"

[

2-1B
04-05-2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Battle Droid
No Gungan Senate Members joining Jar Jar?

I read the spoiler on this from episode-x, and it claims Jar Jar is accompanied by two Gungan aides . . . but they aren't seen in the pod from that pic.

Beast
04-05-2002, 01:22 AM
Very very cool, Battle Droid. I love how Jar Jar has matured and grown since E1, but still slips back into his native way of talking when he's not calm. :) His speech to the senate is great, he's pretty well spoken now. To bad that he's been duped into proposing Palpy the powers of the Emporer. But I'm sure that he will have some key role to play in E3 that will allow him final redemtion for being manipulated. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
04-05-2002, 01:35 AM
Looking at the picture of Jar Jar in the senate pod, it appears that is the outfit that the action figure is wearing. Notice that he doesn't have the dangling shoulder pads on this senate outfit, and the sleeves and patterned edge to the outer cloak. Also the inner robes appear to have the white patterned front, like the figure. :)

I guess that solves that mystery, now if we knew for sure why his figure appears to be fighting somthing or someone. I still think that he may lead one of the CloneTrooper squads, out of friendship and loyalty to Padme. As well as Anakin, and Obi-Wan.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
04-05-2002, 01:40 AM
I can't imagine JJ wearing a senatorial robe to battle. That's just me though. It seems to me that he would at least remove the robe, if not change into something more battle-appropriate.

Beast
04-05-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
I can't imagine JJ wearing a senatorial robe to battle. That's just me though. It seems to me that he would at least remove the robe, if not change into something more battle-appropriate.
Maybe it's all he has left, and he packed away or got rid of all of his regular gungan clothes like he wore in E1. He probably has a whole closet full of the same type of robes, or doesn't have time to change. Besides, if it's good enough for a Jedi...it's good enough for Jar Jar. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
04-06-2002, 08:27 PM
I always knew that Jar Jar kid would amount to something some day. While, from what I've seen here, Jar Jar ends up looking like the galaxies most gullible bufoon; I'm sure he redeems himself in Ep3 somehow. It seems that Jar Jar's growth and developement will be one of the more interesting things to watch when we finally get a chance to see Ep1-3 all together.

Taichi
04-25-2002, 06:36 PM
Man, I love manipulation.....and Palpy (And by default, George) is a friggin' Genius at it.......good scene, can't wait to watch it play out!

Sith Lord 0498
04-25-2002, 08:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Jar Jar is one of the founders of the Rebellion along with Padme, Mon Mothma, and Bail Organa. That would be a good redemption for Jar Jar--especially if he is THE founder of the Alliance.

As for the comments made about the Zam Wesell figure back on the first page, it really doesn't give anything away in the description. It just mentions the chase sequence. However, the pictures of the figure's features do show the removable arm with the comment "Arm comes off to re-enact nightclub confrontation"

RooJay
04-25-2002, 09:18 PM
I was about to start a thread on how the planet Naboo is the cause of all the problems in the Star Wars galaxy when I saw this. Think about it, Padme was responsible for the vots of no confidence that eventually led to Palpatine becoming Supreme Chancellor, Jar Jar apparently will be responsible for giving Palpatine the power of emperor, and Palpatine himself is a Naboo! I'll even take it a step further and suggest thatin high school Plapy was a bit of a bookworm and got picked on a lot by the Naboo High jocks! They'd probably beat the crap out of him, and he'd yell at them how one day he'd become emperor and blow up the whole planet with his Death Star, and all the Naboo football players would just laugh at him! I think that's why Naboo wasn't in the OT; as soon as Palpatine became emperor he took the Death Star out to settle an old score with his old tormentors! Stupid Naboo!:mad:

Dar' Argol
04-25-2002, 10:36 PM
Not to get off the Jar Jar topic but, why can't Palpy be a clone? I know this was brought up in another thread but think. Yoda is a Jedi Master, the likes we have not seen yet. During Qui-Gon's Burning Yoda, Mace, and Palpy was there. Why could Yoda not sense the Darkside in Palpy? ANd in E2, Yoda's in his office, He cannot sense the Darkside right in front of him. If the clone is a new person, and Palpy's mind was somehow downloaded into the clone, he would have all the same agenda's as Sidious. BUT, because of a brand new body(unless you subscribe to the midicloiriean theory) he has no access to the Darkside. This would be logical. But GL is rarly logical. I just want to see how he explains this flub-up:D

mark2d2
04-27-2002, 04:53 AM
Egads, all you Palpy is a clone people are going to be so disappointed. Don't you see that this would weaken if not all but obliterate the power of his character? If this was in fact the case, then we'd have Emperor Sidious in the OT.

As far as JarJar destroying the Republic. Well, it's all very fitting. I wonder if he'll be as efficient at this as he was as obliterating Episode One's chances of being a watchable film.

aikman
05-17-2002, 02:41 PM
So in the grand scheme its all jar jars fault , thats funny.
But in the end I am concerned.
Sure we barely got any jar jar in this ep, but what about the next one?
Please tell me he just goes away, and doesnt return triumphantly next time...

QLD
05-17-2002, 03:47 PM
maybe he'll be one of the senators that Palpatine has assassinated because they don't agree with his agenda

Jonna
05-17-2002, 04:12 PM
We can only hope. The mere sight of him makes me want to kick puppies.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
We can only hope. The mere sight of him makes me want to kick puppies.
Kick . . . puppies?
Maybe you should get some help.
Oh . . . and by the way, Jar Jar is confirmed in Episode III. Ahmed Best said so.

Pendo
05-17-2002, 05:11 PM
I just hope he dies in Episode III.

PENDO!

jawaboy
05-17-2002, 05:34 PM
Not really his fault. All the senators had to vote to approve his proposal. It's everyone's fault.

artdoesart
05-17-2002, 07:08 PM
It makes me sour.

honestly i heard this spolier before, and after watching AOTC it all makes sense... but inmy opinion even though i love SW and loved AOTC, it kind of stupid knowing that the entire saga occurred because of JAR JAR the idiot... i mean he is the one who gave approval and his hand to palpatine, when in fact padme's #1 priority in visiting corusant was to vote against the creation of this arym (clone)... and nonetheless "alla jar jar" the vote gets passed, strongly as a result of naboo's vote of confidence...

as a result, we have 4 more movies... honestly i think lucas could have thought of something more significant... something more "honorable, noble"........

hango fett
05-17-2002, 07:13 PM
when palpy was in the office when boi-wan sent the transmition, everyone in the thearter kind of giggled when they saw the shot of jar jar thinking about it. i guess i'm the only guy around who actually liked jar jar...

Jon
05-18-2002, 09:04 AM
I like Jar Jar. He was overdone in TPM and I think underused in AOTC. He should not be a main character but they should have explained in the film a little more about why he is suddenly a senator and his discussion with Palpatine that he would be honored to make the motion to grant emergency powers. I hope he has a larger role in Ep 3 but not too large. Comparable to the screen time of a Boba Fett in ESB or Ackbar in ROJ

chewie
05-18-2002, 10:27 AM
The way the movies play out, somebody had to give the Republic an army. George gave that moment to Jar Jar, however wise that may be.

Dexter
05-18-2002, 10:30 AM
JAR JAR DID A *GOOD* THING!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Are you all deaf, dumb, and blind? :D

If Jar Jar HADN'T convinced the senate to give Palpatine supreme power, there would've been no clone army. If there had been no clone army, they couldn't have gone to Geonosis. If they couldn't have gone to Geonosis, EVERY SINGLE JEDI would've died. No Yoda, no Mace Windu, no Obi-Wan, no Anakin, no Luke, no Leia--NOTHING!!!

Without Jedi in the galaxy, Palpatine could have EASILY manipulated his way to supreme power, and walked all over the galaxy forever.

It's only thanks to JAR JAR that the galaxy is eventually saved. He's as much the hero of the Saga as R2 is.

So there. Hmph. :happy:

scruffziller
05-23-2002, 03:08 PM
He nominates for Palpy's imediate power.

LTBasker
05-23-2002, 03:27 PM
So? It didn't look like Palpy was taking over anything at the end, quite possibly he actually could've dropped it by then by wishes of Bail and them, as I doubt he would've still been with them at that point if he hadn't removed his powers.

Also it looked more like Jar-Jar felt like he was guilt tripped into it and felt like he needed to do it for the sake of Naboo since Senator Amidala would supposedly do it as stated by the others.

Jar-Jar rocks. :D

Jedi Clint
05-23-2002, 03:39 PM
He still had emergency powers.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-23-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL

Oh . . . and by the way, Jar Jar is confirmed in Episode III. Ahmed Best said so.

Holy crap! I just heard the mother of all spoilers.
Jar Jar is one of the Imperial Dignitaries in ROTJ!

Now don't you feel stupid for voting for him in Fan Choice #4!

:) :D :crazed: :dead:

jawaboy
05-23-2002, 03:44 PM
It takes a majority of voters to give emergency powers. Even though JarJar brought up the issue, doesn't make him SOLELY responsible. It's all of the senators faults.

sunblind
05-28-2002, 01:39 PM
Did anyone else sense something when Palpatine was talking out loud about the clone army issue with Jar Jar there? I was wondering, was he using the force and using his sith powers on Jar Jar and right under Naboo's nose and the jedi too? I mean its already been stated that over what 100? senators have been influenced already. Jar Jar could be one of'em. He is week minded!

therock0603
05-28-2002, 01:44 PM
No, he wasn't using the force. Just the simple power of suggestion. Like when you see someone yawn or think about yawning, you just have to yawn. For Jar Jar, he was desperate to do something to help and do something for the good of the Republic and through the power of suggestion by Palpatine he was influenced to propose it because he was the only one in the room at the time who had the power to propose such a thing.

Jonna
05-28-2002, 01:47 PM
Jar Jar is so retarted that he didn't need to be manipulated by use of the force. I think that he just thought he was doing the right thing to save lives. Palpatine knew this and merely mentioned a solution to the problem, knowing what Jar Jar would do.

sunblind
05-28-2002, 01:52 PM
yeah, that all makes sense.

icatch9
05-28-2002, 02:03 PM
I do think Jar Jar was doing what he thought was right, but he knew that Padme did not want an army. I mean that was the whole point of her being there. To vote against the military creation act. So, I do not believe it was Jar Jars stupidity that made him sugest that Palpatine have emergency powers. I do think it was the dark side enfluenceing Jar Jar (or power of sugestion, but would that be a version of the force).

mrmiller
05-28-2002, 02:04 PM
Dang Rock, you just made me yawn. :)

=MATT=

therock0603
05-28-2002, 02:47 PM
lol, I was thinking when I typed that message that some people would yawn... :) and of course power of suggestion could have the force backing it up, but I doubt it did. The new Insider issue just says that he was eager to do the right thing and he was the only one in the room that could cause the rest were on the chancellor's council or whatever and couldn't propose something like that.

scruffziller
10-08-2002, 03:46 AM
That because Jar Jar has a weak mind that he was being influenced by Palps to do the things that needed to be done.:evil:

Beast
10-08-2002, 04:15 AM
Doubt it was because of that. Infact Jar Jar isn't as "weak-minded" as many people like to think. Palpatine is pulling the wool over everyones eyes. It's more the case that Jar Jar is an innocent, someone that doesn't have political motivations. Plus he was speaking for Padme, someone who was against the formation of an Army of the Republic. So the Senate that couldn't see eye to eye with anyone else in the Senate, could be swayed by Jar Jar. There was alot of dropped dialouge that concerns that aspect of the Senate from the film. Page 295. :)

"Unfortunatly the debate is not over," Bail Organa said. "The Senate will never approve the the use of the army before the sepratists attack. And by then, it will likely be too late."

"This is a crisis," Mas Amedda dared interject. "The Senate must vote the Chancellor emergancy powers! He then could approve the use of the clones."

Palpatine rocked back at the suggestion, seeming profoundly shaken. "But what Senator would have the courage to propose such a radical amendment?" he asked hesitantly.

"I will!" Ask Aak declared.

Beside him, Bail Organa gave a helpless chuckle and shook his head. "They will not listen to you, I fear. Nor to me," he added quickly, when Ask Aak snapped a glare at him. "We have spent too much of our political capital debating the philosophies of the sepratists and arguing for action. The Senate will not see our call as anything more then overly alarmist. We need a voice of reason, one willing to reverse position, even, given the gravity of the situation."

"If only Senator Amidala was here," Mas Amedda reasoned.

Without hesitation, Jar Jar Binks stepped foreward again."Mesa mosto Supreme Chancellor," the Gungan said, squaring his sloping shoulders as much as possible. "Mesa gusto pallos," he said deferentially to the others. "Mesa proud to proposing the motion to give Yousa Honor emergancy powers."

Palpatine looked from the trembling Gungan to Bail Organa.

"He speaks for Amidala," the Senator from Alderaan said. "By all understanding within the Senate, Jar Jar Binks's words are the reflection of Senator Amidala's desires."

Palpatine nodded grimly, and Yoda sensed a strong fear from the man, as if he knew that he was about to be thrust forward in the most dangerous position that he and the Republic had ever known.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
10-26-2002, 03:05 PM
Sometimes I too believe Palpy was using the dark side of the force to manipulate Jar Jar.