PDA

View Full Version : Red Clone Trooper opinions (merged)

fourtwo
05-17-2002, 03:07 PM
was anyone else REALLY impressed by this figure?
i've never seen that type of articulation on a SW toy ever!
so good!
:D

MichaelV103
05-17-2002, 03:10 PM
I was also impressed with the figure, but I still dont get what that little stand that comes with it is supposed to do. I couldnt get the figures foot to fit on it so it would balance and stand with it.

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 03:14 PM
The little stand is useless, the figure ROCKS though.

lobster-man
05-17-2002, 03:16 PM
I plan to use it for REEK POODU when I get the arena playset!:frus:

Echo_7
05-17-2002, 03:16 PM
I liked it so much after opening the first one, I went back and bought 5 more. I think it's an awsome figure! I can't wait for the yellow version.

JediTricks
05-18-2002, 05:12 PM
Wow, I kinda hate this figure, much of the articulation is worthless. The ankles are fixed in an extreme pose, so the knee articulation doesn't do much (especially with the stand being made upside-down for the wrong foot); the left hip articulation is severely hindered by the crotch and only seems to have about 30 degrees of rotation; the left arm is too close to the body and renders most poses ugly; and the standard swivel joints on the shoulders instead of ball joints makes the rest of the arm articulation fairly useless (not that cut-joint elbows have ever been worth anything for my tastes). All in all, this figure seems like a one-pose wonder with extra articulation that has no meaning. This figure feels worse to me than the preview version - and I really disliked that fig.

fourtwo
05-18-2002, 05:58 PM
hmmm, i suppose you do have a point. it was just nice to see articulation on a SW fig for a change. you must admit some of it is functional, he can hold his gun and hold the cannon thingy so its not all a total loss
:)

DarthMaulSithLord
05-18-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Wow, I kinda hate this figure, much of the articulation is worthless. The ankles are fixed in an extreme pose, so the knee articulation doesn't do much (especially with the stand being made upside-down for the wrong foot); the left hip articulation is severely hindered by the crotch and only seems to have about 30 degrees of rotation; the left arm is too close to the body and renders most poses ugly; and the standard swivel joints on the shoulders instead of ball joints makes the rest of the arm articulation fairly useless (not that cut-joint elbows have ever been worth anything for my tastes). All in all, this figure seems like a one-pose wonder with extra articulation that has no meaning. This figure feels worse to me than the preview version - and I really disliked that fig.

That's exactly how i feel about the POTF2 CommTech Stormtrooper (although that one has balljointed shoulders).

:(

KIDD
05-18-2002, 06:52 PM
I LIKE THE RED CLONE TROOPER CANT WAIT FOR THE YELLOW ONE TO COME OUT

Jayspawn
05-19-2002, 12:48 AM
I really like this figure. Good detail, excellent articulation. The footbase isn't too useful but he stands very well and have very cool accessories. He looks great with a bunch of Sneak Peak Cloneys also.

CooLJoE
05-19-2002, 03:17 AM
I like the red clone trooper too. Of course I like all troopers, but this one was the best of the AOTC figs so far IMO. Some are up there with it, but its on the top for me.

Darth_Maul25SW
05-19-2002, 04:14 AM
Do you think they'll make a white version with the exact same articulation. Hmmm maybe in a 4 pack like the fan club troopers? Hmmmm.

darth chuck
05-19-2002, 05:44 AM
I was impressed by this fig. I do hope they make another "clean" version of the white trooper in a neutral pose, though. The preview has the exaggerated stance and "dirty" paint job that limits the possibilities for dioramas.

JediTricks
05-21-2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
That's exactly how i feel about the POTF2 CommTech Stormtrooper (although that one has balljointed shoulders).

:( If the CTC Stormie had articulated wrists, I'd totally argue a bunch of points in favor of it, but even though it has ball-jointed wrists and a ball-jointed head where the Clone Trooper doesn't, it's still fairly limited as well. I will say that I think the Clone Trooper's arms are WAY more hindered than CTC Stormtrooper's though - and that affects my opinion.

yukface27
05-21-2002, 12:56 AM
JediTricks, I know it's your opinion, but I think you're going totally overkill on this one. The Clonetrooper is a great figure (way better then his Sneak Peek counterpart). He's got all that articulation, a blaster rifle, and a tripod cannon. Very, very cool for a $5.99 toy. Yes, his little mound of dirt, foot stand is pretty useless, but that's a minor worry. This is one of the first Hasbro Star Wars figs that has the kind of articulation that he has and is paving the way for some very kick arse figures in our near future. Boo-Yah!!!

mista_carrot
05-21-2002, 02:07 AM
The problem I have with the red Clonetrooper, is that I can only find one pose that looks good, and it's almost exactly the same pose as the sneak preview clone. All this extra articulation should be there so you can put him in all sorts of poses...well you can put him in different poses, but they look unnatural to me. What would have made the knee articulation useful is ankle joints. I know it'd be kind of hard to do with such a small figure, but ankle joints would really make the knee articulation shine.

bigbarada
05-21-2002, 05:02 AM
Definitely one of the cooler figures in the new line, although I wish he would've been released as the pure white trooper. Then I could buy tons without having the "too many chiefs, not enough indians" problem.

In any case the red Clone, the Royal Guard and the Super Battle Droid are the coolest army builders in the new line.

pthfnder89
05-21-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
If the CTC Stormie had articulated wrists, I'd totally argue a bunch of points in favor of it, but even though it has ball-jointed wrists and a ball-jointed head where the Clone Trooper doesn't, it's still fairly limited as well

I assume you meant balljointed *shoulders* not wrists?

I can't think of too many ways that the BTB Stormy could have been improved other than coming with a regular E-11 Blastech instead of that rifle.:confused: I'm not sure what kind of poses you want to put him in but I have about 15 of the standing together and they are all in different positions.

The only thing that bothered me was that he WASN'T posed quite enough. I would have like him to be able to hold a weapon with both hands.

eliwankenobi
05-21-2002, 04:38 PM
I really like the Red Clonie. I think the articulation is great. I can get him in a couple of good dynamic poses and lots of "dead" poses. And as we saw from a previous thread, he's also good at suntanning, having headaches, and stepping in poodoo. :D

And as for the CTC Stormie, I've managed to slice his hands off with an exacto knife and put little screws in the wrists to give him wrist articulation for a two-handed blaster grip. Give it a try.

JediTricks
05-21-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
I assume you meant balljointed *shoulders* not wrists? Yup, sorry, it was late for me... from a certain point of view. Then again, I didn't just call it the "BTB Stormtrooper". :D With the CTC Stormie, you're right, I have WAY more cool poses available to me thanks to the straighter arms and ball-jointed shoulders, but I still think wrist articulation is badly holding this figure back from its full potential. The clone trooper doesn't have any of that potential IMO, it falls too close to the POTJ Sandtrooper with its 90 degree elbows and even worse since the shoulders move too close to the body.

hango fett
05-25-2002, 08:45 AM
this is a very cool figure. one of the best articulation jobs since.....never! he has 14 points of articulation! my god! here they are...
head
waist
shoulder x2
elbow x2
wrist x2
thigh x2
kneex4 (they twist too!)
wow! this one has more than bespin luke does! he has 13 because his waist is a slashing action thing....no, wait...it's a tie! but clonetrooper is WAY cooler than luke!

on a scale of 1-10 it's a 9.5 (because you don't really have any place to put the arms at.)

whats your rating?

Taichi
05-25-2002, 09:39 AM
I like it....it's not as posable as the Commtech Stormtrooper, but it's still pretty good.....

MikeAndTheBots
05-25-2002, 10:51 AM
I like it a lot. One of my faves of the saga line as of now. Tons of articulation, a tripod gun and a normal blaster. The rock is useless but it was a neat pack in, it can be easily added to a diorama. I wouldn't say a 9.5 though. Possibly an 8.5 out of 10. My only complaint is that he can't hold his gun very sturdily.

hango fett
05-25-2002, 11:58 AM
yeah...i forgot about the gun thing...8.7 for me then...

Laserbrain
05-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Yeah, the red Clonetrooper has a surprising amount of articulaton and it's a definite plus. One of the better figures in this wave but on your scale I'll give him 8.0 at the most.

He's trying to fullfill two roles, firing the heavy blaster and holding his rifle at ready. Without the articulation this wouldn't be possible yet his legs are sprawled at odd angles and his butt is hanging out. Even compared to the Preview Clone with his "loose movement" pose the red Clone looks kinda funky.

I imagine his armor smells funky too...

However, with a little perserverance and the aid of an action stand a cool advancing rifle stance can be found. Besides, no Clonetrooper squad would be complete without one...so I bought two ;)

JediTricks
05-26-2002, 09:30 PM
Pardon my merging of these 2 threads.

I can't imagine why you'd want to rotate the figure's knee, is the clone trooper supposed to be double-jointed or something? That seems kinda icky, or maybe it's just me since I've had several knee injuries over the years. ;)