PDA

View Full Version : Rank the films.

Darth Nihilus
05-16-2002, 08:59 AM
Nearly twenty four hours after seeing AotC I am still convinced that it is the best in the entire series. I am just wondering who else agrees with me on this?

Wonderboy
05-16-2002, 09:25 AM
I TOTALLY agree with you. Im still speechless...simply amazing.

Dave_Cameron
05-16-2002, 09:29 AM
I've seen it and I would rank my favorites thusly:

1. Attack of the Clones
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. The Phantom Menace
5. Return of the Jedi

My number one choice wasn't made because it is the freshest of the bunch. I just felt that it had more interesting plot points and a little more action.

pthfnder89
05-16-2002, 09:34 AM
I really have to disagree. There are a lot of cool things in AOTC, but in my opinion, it only ranks above The Phantom Menace.

Now if the first hour of it was anywhere near as good as the second hour, I would probably change my mind. But it isn't...:(

Runobot
05-16-2002, 09:49 AM
Well, not quite sure, probably Empire is still the best in my opinion, but damn, it is close for sure. Heck, OK, it is the best ever!!!!

1 AOTC
2 Empire
3 ROTJ
4 ANH
5 TPM

Toad
05-16-2002, 10:06 AM
I can't say it's the best --- but it's damn good!

1. Empire
2. New Hope
3. Attack of the Clones
4. Jedi
5. Phantom

But they're all good. Had you asked me 5 years ago, A New Hope would've been #1. It's beautiful how they change over time.

CrossWizard
05-16-2002, 10:17 AM
In my opinion it is far better than both Phantom Menace and RoTJ, but still slighty falls under ANH and ESB. Still its an awesome movie and Ill probably see it a couple more times during the course of the summer.

SQueek
05-16-2002, 11:55 AM
Dave_Cameron ranked TPM above ROTJ? wow your...different

1 AOC
2 ESB
3 ROJ
4 ANH
5 TPM

evenflow
05-16-2002, 12:30 PM
It was cool, but will never touch the original trilogy. Never. It only ranks above the Phantom Menace.

QLD
05-16-2002, 12:33 PM
I really love it, and I thought it a vast improvement over E1.

I guess if I were forced to rank it would be:

1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTJ
4. AOTC
5. E1

The only thing that kept it below ROTJ for me was how poorly written the love story was. That could have a great film even better.

Dexter
05-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Hmmm... my rankings...

AOTC
ESB
TPM
ANH
RotJ

I must be the only one who thought The Phantom Menace was AWESOME...! I was bored during ANH... and as for RotJ... "Yub Yub"... ::sigh::

BanthaPoodoo
05-16-2002, 12:50 PM
I know, what is everyone's problem with EI???? I thought it was a great story with great visual effects & it fits nicely into the SW Universe. You have got to get the ball rolling somewhere & this is where GL had it come from 25 years ago, he had it all wrote out to get to E4! It's just E4 was what was made in 1977......

Anywho here is my list from 1-5 of SW. I know, you'll probably say I'm.......... different :)

1. SW (what can I say, the first & the greatest)
2. AOTC
3. ROTJ (although the Ewoks kinda make it like the afternoon special, as a whole it's pretty good........)
4. TPM
5. ESB (All that Yoda stuff just drug on & on, I just couldnt & cant get into it. Anytime I have to hit a fast forward button on my VCR/DVD player, it cant be that good.)

evenflow
05-16-2002, 12:52 PM
ok...

1. ROTJ
2. SW
3. ESB
4. AOTC
5. TPM

Taichi
05-16-2002, 12:56 PM
Okay here goes:

AOTC
TESB
ROTJ
ANH
TPM

Darth Nihilus
05-16-2002, 01:02 PM
Damn, the idea of ranking all the movies is a pretty hard thing to do.

1. Attack of the Clones
2. A New Hope (which only just pips...)
3. The Empire Strikes Back (the asteroid sequence dragged on for me)
4. Return of the Jedi (This was once my favourite but the Endor sequence of events bring this movie down.)
5. The Phantom Menace

jjreason
05-16-2002, 01:03 PM
You sillies, it's all one big movie! Don't you read Lucas' interviews?? Granted, it is fun to rank the "chapters" and thus my rankings:

Empire, Clones, Jedi, ANH, TPM. Mind you, males older than 11 tend to like "cool" stuff like violence and unhappy endings. This is obviously reflected in this forum. Thanks goodness we just got treated to a more "mature" chapter. With any luck epIII will make Clones look like Cinderella! Bring on the dark side!!

jawaboy
05-16-2002, 01:07 PM
Doesn't it feel good to have walked out of a Lucasfilm and not completely hate McCallum and The Neck? There is a glimmer of hope in the air, and I'll take it for now.

Darth Nihilus
05-16-2002, 01:50 PM
The one thing that concerned me going in to see this film was how Lucas and co. seemed unwilling to admit their mistakes on TPM - but it was supposed to be a kid's movie, we loved Jar Jar (I know this isn't the case for everyone, these are just generalisations). I though we were going to get more of the same. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

Lord Malakite
05-16-2002, 01:59 PM
With AOTC being this cool, one can only imagine the possibilities of Episode III. After all, its supposed the darkest of all the films.

Bosskman
05-16-2002, 02:11 PM
I love ESB and, until yesterday it was my favorite but I've seen AOTC twice now and I gotta say it blows ESB out of the water. It's not because it's new either. I relly liked TPM, except of course for the obvious bad parts (Jar Jar, a lot of Qui Gon and Anakin, midichlorians, the look of Yoda) but when I saw it, I said none of the prequels would surpass the OT for me but I was wrong. AOTC is my favorite and only E III stands a chance of topping it now. Here's my rankings:

1. AOTC
2. ESB (no faults whatsoever, I love it)
3. ROTJ (sorry guys but I LOVE the Jabba, space battle, and final duel so much it completely negates the Ewoks)
4. ANH (although if they clean up the SE Jabba, and fix some of the more claustrophobic sets for the DVD, it could easily beat
ROTJ IMO, they're pretty much tied as it is)
5. TPM (again, I loved certain parts but Jar Jar was too overbearing)

InsaneJediGirl
05-16-2002, 02:17 PM
My rankings

1.ESB-How could you EVER beat that?

2-AOTC-Action everywhere you turn

3.ROTJ-Great,could have did with out the Ewoks..but who cares:D

4.ANH-Luke Just whines too much

5.TPM-Just kinda dragged on in my opinion

Pendo
05-16-2002, 04:32 PM
My rankings are:
TESB
ANH
AOTC
ROTJ
TPM

PENDO!

Darth-AWT
05-16-2002, 07:54 PM
AOTC is a great movie, and an excellent chapter in the StarWars Saga. But it has only left me craving more! I have a feeling Ep3 will be the greatest chapter, and possibly the greatest story ever put to film.

My rankings:
AOTC
ANH
ESB
ROTJ
TPM

Freedom
05-16-2002, 08:20 PM
Way too much cheese in AOTC. Overall a great movie.

1) Empire
2) Hope
3) Clones
4) Jedi
5) Menace

JediTricks
05-16-2002, 11:40 PM
From my first viewing, here's how it looks on my list:

ESB
ANH
ROTJ
AOTC
TPM

It's a close call between ROTJ and AOTC for me, but I guess in a way, my first viewing left me feeling like it wasn't Star Wars, it was a lot of elements, but they rang hollow put together this way.

Battle Droid
05-16-2002, 11:42 PM
My list:

AOTC
ROTJ
TESB
TPM
ANH

SithDroid
05-17-2002, 01:08 AM
I have to diagree that it is the best in the series. ESB will always be the best. AOTC was really good for a couple reasons, cool jedi battles, yoda fight scene, new worlds, no mention of midiclorians, and lastly hardly any Jar Jar (Yea!). But the film did drag a little in the middle and the "love story" between Padme and Anakin seemed very rushed and forced in the film, there was no development at all for it. Plus a lot of the dialogue between the two was extremely boring and corny. Also a point that I do not understand, Anakin tells Padme that he killed all the sand people, yet she still falls in love with him. He admits that he is a cold blooded killer and she seems to see nothing wrong with that. What's the deal. Any nrmal girl would be turned off by that. Tha's just my opinion though. A really great movie and a ton better then TPM. I hope EP III is even better.

2-1B
05-17-2002, 01:55 AM
Jango Fett is a cold blooded killer, not Anakin.
Anakin's killings were those of passion, folks like Jango and Zam kill for advantage. :)

JEDIpartner
05-17-2002, 08:40 AM
Firstly, I got to see the film on a huge screen in a digital theatre. It was absolutely magnificent experience!!!! :D Secondly, I think this was the best film due to the huge contrasts in plot points. When you cut from Kamino to Naboo, from Tatooine to Geonosis and from all of those places to Coruscant you really felt as if you were going to different places. The moods were so different that you could feel the distance between those locations. I loved it... VERY much. My ranking of the films would have to go like this...

-Attack of the Clones (not because it is the "new" one, but because none of the other films accomplished what I had stated above)
-The Empire Strikes Back (this is still the classic)
-A New Hope (it's "pure")
-The Phantom Menace (It makes MUCH more sense now, as I believed it would after AOTC came out)
-Return of the Jedi (I felt this movie was a little too hyperactive and disjointed to me. The SE fixed SOME of the problems by changing the end music and by adding the scenes of Mos Eisley, Cloud City and Coruscant).

By the way... I'm glad the Tusken slaughter was left in the film. Thank you George!!!

Darth Nihilus
05-17-2002, 09:54 AM
I thought the Tusken massacre needed to be expanded, it's one thing to say you did it, it's another to see it happen. It would've deepened the Anakin character that much more.

good shot jansen
05-17-2002, 12:26 PM
attack of the clones is without a doubt the best sw film in my mind. i wasn't too sure until i saw it the 2nd time. the film is very long, covers a lot of ground, and does it flawlessly. it really is a superb movie. it stands alone on it's own merits. it doesn't need to be part of a series.

the one surprising thing that it does do, (which i was not expecting at all), is it makes tpm a much better movie. introducing all the cast of characters, setting up the plot, i now look at it as a very good segway into aotc (and the rest of the series as well!)(which btw is something i thought i would never think)

i rate the films as follows

aotc
esb
anh
tpm
rotj (which will unfortunately imho always be considered the weakest of the lot)

hango fett
05-17-2002, 01:11 PM
heres my list....
1:AOTC
2:ROTJ
3:ESB
4:ANH
5:TPM
every one could be better but they are good enough for me!

Jonna
05-17-2002, 01:14 PM
I have only seen it once, but I would have to say:

1 Empire
2 Tie: A New Hope / Clones
3 ROTJ
4 TPM

scruffziller
05-17-2002, 05:03 PM
I'll have to rank them this way.

altough I may switch 6 and 2 flexibly.

DeadEye
05-17-2002, 05:08 PM
2 is considerably better than 6. :mad:

Pendo
05-17-2002, 05:08 PM
TESB
ANH
AOTC
ROTJ
TPM

PENDO!

MikeAndTheBots
05-17-2002, 05:32 PM
I...can't...it's...too...hard!

Battle Droid
05-17-2002, 05:33 PM
AOTC
ROTJ
TESB
TPM
ANH

artdoesart
05-17-2002, 05:48 PM

SithDroid
05-17-2002, 09:53 PM
ESB
ANH
AOTC
ROTJ
TPM

cujo fett
05-19-2002, 10:27 PM
just saw the movie and it is absolutely awesome
it is almost as if george lucas went back to the other movies, took the best scenes and made them better
eg. new hope cantina--> coruscant nightclub
phantom pod race --> coruscant speeder chase
empire hoth battle --> clone battle
empire C-3PO bespin destruction --> geonosian head switch
jedi emperor force lightning --> dooku -yoda lightning stand off

cujo fett
05-19-2002, 10:31 PM
also, jedi- boba fett last stand (sarlacc) --> jango last stand

Lman316
05-25-2002, 10:25 AM
Goes like this for me:

ROTJ and AOTC (tied for first)
TPM
ESB
ANH

clonehead
11-15-2002, 07:41 PM
it is a close race between Episode 2 and Return of the Jedi in my opinion

gibbyhayes
11-18-2002, 12:18 AM
Having AOTC on DVD really changes things. Now we can realistically measure it aginst the others by how it survives multiple viewings. I've already rewatched it a bunch, and let me say - it sure ain't as good as it was the first time. I've been watching ANH on video for 20 years...