PDA

View Full Version : Will The WTC Be Rebuilt???

GNT
09-14-2001, 02:14 AM
I was just thinking about those people who died when the twin towers fell down the other day and I was thinking alot about the building and all, once the remains of the buildings are cleaned up and that do you think that another 2 WTC towers will be built again???

Thoughts?

bigbarada
09-14-2001, 07:53 AM
I've heard that it will be rebuilt although not necessarily the same kind of structure. When is a different matter entirely, it could be years before they even clear all the rubble. I'm positive that a memorial of some kind will be built on that site.

Eternal Padawan
09-14-2001, 10:15 AM
I was watching MSNBC and they were talking to a couple of the rescue workers. What he said really struck home with me. In his thick New York accent he basically asked Bush and the others in charge to NOT build a memorial on the site. He said we already had memorials in Oklahoma and D.C. He said to rebuild the towers bigger and better than ever. Build three towers if they had to, but to rebuild. "We're New Yorkers. We need this. We need these buildings." It was just the sort of attitude one expects from a New Yorker. A defiant patriotism and pride in his hometown. It made me proud( and I'm from the midwest) and I couldn't agree with him more. Build them back up even better than before.

JEDIpartner
09-14-2001, 10:37 AM
I agree with the rescue workers. Put those building up and put them up in the name of freedom and the free world. If any sort of memorial is placed there... it should be simple, like a mosaic and a plaque on the grounds below, something used as a symbol to honour those who died because of their freedom and FOR freedom & humanity.

El Chuxter
09-14-2001, 11:52 AM
I'm thinking they might rebuild the towers with a memorial between the two main towers.

Lobito
09-14-2001, 01:15 PM
I think after all the rubble is cleaned and after they found the terrorists. They should rebuild the twin towers, it will take years to be done, but the spirit would be there, in memory of the innocents that died in that tragic day.

bigbarada
09-14-2001, 01:37 PM
Excellent idea! The best way to say "Up yours!" to these terrorists is to rebuild the towers bigger and better than before!

Jedi Clint
09-14-2001, 03:16 PM
I think it should be.

El Chuxter
09-14-2001, 03:32 PM
I found this article on the subject after posting my earlier speculation:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/628929_asp.htm

Jargo
09-14-2001, 06:07 PM
it will be difficult to build on the exact site but i think that as it is now a grave of the most enormous scale, there would be few who would wish to desecrate this ground. I agree that a twin building towering up like two fingers in a victory salute would be most fitting, A site of memorial should also be included in these plans. A giant fountain such as that of geneva, a symbol of peace for many years would be a fitting tribute. water symbolises life and a fountain is always alive, always flowing upwards and onwards. It is a potent image of strength, beauty and serenity.

GNT
09-14-2001, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Lobito
I think after all the rubble is cleaned and after they found the terrorists.

I don't think they'll find the terrorists for awhile since they'll be in hiding!

A giant fountain such as that of geneva, a symbol of peace for many years would be a fitting tribute. water symbolises life and a fountain is always alive, always flowing upwards and onwards. It is a potent image of strength, beauty and serenity.

And what happens to the watere next? It comes crashing down to be reused again :(

master jedi
09-14-2001, 09:29 PM
If they do decide to rebuild them they should at least build them smaller.

GNT
09-14-2001, 09:43 PM
If they rebuilt it do you think that people that worked in the first twin buildings would ever work there again? They could be scared that it might happen again!!!

Eternal Padawan
09-15-2001, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by GNT
If they rebuilt it do you think that people that worked in the first twin buildings would ever work there again? They could be scared that it might happen again!!!

Which is exactly what the terrorists want, and which is exactly why they should and will rebuild on that spot and people will move back into the rebuilt towers. jargo called it "desecration" Americans won't and don't see it that way. Not rebuilding is our way of admitting defeat. Leveling the area and turning it into a "Memorial park with a nice little fountain" would be our way of saying "You win terrorists." Well, we won't say that. You must understand the mentality of Americans. We will get back at these bastards symbolically by building these towers back up bigger and better than ever.

Rollo Tomassi
09-16-2001, 12:49 AM
Right On EP. Hypothetically Jargo and GNT, If someone toppled Big Ben or the Sydney Opera House, would you want them to rebuild a Bigger Ben or a better Opera House, or would you want a fountain to remind everybody that someone had gotten the better of you as a country and a people. Those towers NEED to go back up in one form or another...

Jargo
09-16-2001, 05:18 AM
Of course I'd want the buildings rebuilt. All I'm expressing is my opinion that a grave should not be built on directly. As to the fountain, I'm not suggesting for one minute that it replace the towers or that a cruddy garden be built. I'm suggesting a rebuild of the towers in defiance and a symbol of memorial.
The site is not going to be usable for a long time to come. the whole area is structurally damaged.
would you want a fountain to remind everybody that someone had gotten the better of you as a country and a people. If pride is your concern then you are sadly missing the point and I can see no point in my continuing to converse with you.

GNT
09-16-2001, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Right On EP. Hypothetically Jargo and GNT, If someone toppled Big Ben or the Sydney Opera House, would you want them to rebuild a Bigger Ben or a better Opera House, or would you want a fountain to remind everybody that someone had gotten the better of you as a country and a people. Those towers NEED to go back up in one form or another...

True, I would like if destroyed I'd like to see a new one as long as a sign of the people who died in it were posted so thatthey could be remembered I'd be happy :)

But what happens after they built it up again and another plane goes into it (hopefully not) and destroys it again,again and again,Do you just keep on building,where do mark the end?

Obi-Don
09-16-2001, 08:34 AM
Fool me once shame on you.Fool me twice shame on me. Thats why they should seek out all of these groups and completely destory them.So that people no matter where they live can live free and safe.Yes rebuild.

GNT
09-16-2001, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
Fool me once shame on you.Fool me twice shame on me. Thats why they should seek out all of these groups and completely destory them.

Would that make you better than them?

LTBasker
06-11-2002, 08:10 PM
Since JT posted about this thread I figured I'd write a reply about what I heard.

I was watching MSNBC not too long ago and they were talking about the rebuilding of the towers and I do believe they said that it was confirmed it just wasn't going to happen.

I think they said they will NOT be rebuilding the towers exactly like they were built before then because of fear. Fear that they'll be targets again and instead thinking of stuff like four 40 story buildings.

Well I think that is complete bull and they SHOULD rebuild. Are they gonna take apart the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building and just make multiple smaller duplicates of them for the area space so that they won't be possible future targets?

We're not supposed to be afraid and yet they won't rebuild them because of fear. Sounds more like a stunt so it won't cost studios money to digitally edit them back into the skylines of NY for movies if they were to re-release them to make the skyline "correct" again.

The reason why the towers collapsed like they did was because of rentovation flaw which I found out from watching a TLC special on why the towers collapsed. They said that they had put this stuff around the steel that I think was supposed to strengthen it or something like that, but the flaw was that it wasn't fully fire-retardent, it would withstand fire for a little while but then would melt away, which I think also heated the beams more than they would've causing the beams supporting the floors to fail sooner than they would have. The towers were designed to actually withstand a 747 crashing into it because of the plane that crashed into the Empire State Building. They weren't designed for stuff over 747 but I do believe they said that if that stuff hadn't been on the beams of the building then the collapses would've been different.

So, if they were to rebuild the towers, they could quite possibly try to make them withstand even a 777 with the stronger materials that are available.

Exhaust Port
06-11-2002, 09:10 PM
When there's a will there's a way. They could make a building able to withstand 10 747's but that would only mean that they would use 11. Not rebuilding will not prevent someone from trying to fly an airplane into a building. We can't cave to fear, that's not what this country is about.

Reading some of these post in this thread reminded me of an anti-violence example that someone told me after 9/11.

1. Find someone who's against a violent solution against the groups responsible for 9/11.

2. Punch that person in the face.

3. After they get up and come after you remind them that they are against violent retaliations so hitting you would be against their believes.

4. After they realize that they wouldn't be right to strike you hit them in the face again.

5. After they get up remind them again that it's against their belief to hit you back.

6. Now explain to them that there are times when the only way to stop getting hit is to hit back.

Remember all those airliner highjackings in the 80's funded and accomplished by Libyans. Remember how they stopped over night when Reagan sent in those F-111's to send a message. Message recieved.

LTBasker
06-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Ya know it could've been ALOT worse... Think of all the skyscrapers throughout the U.S.. Just because they're not the tallest in America, doesn't mean they can be potential targets. 'Course EVERYTHING is pretty much a potential target, think if someone hijacked a plane and set it on course for a town, or even a city even without skyscrapers. Something more near the ground near MORE people would definitely cause alot of losses. Considering that near-to-the-ground buildings wouldn't be really built to withstand a plane crashing into them, so that would make it to where the destruction would get spread more as a plane could go through the buildings or parts could go flying into other buildings.

Eternal Padawan
06-13-2002, 08:27 AM
Man. Rereading this thread put images of the jets smacking onto the side of the towers and I get a stomach ache thinking about it all over again. I was in a media class that semester and the day after it happened, the professor had us prepare videos about the events in our own words. I put down all my thoughts and feelings on paper in order to use it as a voice over. Someday I'll put it up here for everyone to read. But not yet. Not yet.

RooJay
06-13-2002, 07:21 PM
I honestly think it should be rebuilt. As a testament to perserverance in the face of adversity, and as a memorial to those lost. There is also a world record held by the Petronas Towers that's just begging to be broken in my opinion. What better homw for the world's tallest building than the world's greatest country (an honor we've duly held many times in the past)? What better message to send to our enemies?

SithDroid
06-14-2002, 12:42 AM
I don't think that they should be rebuilt at all. So many people lost their lives there and I think that the land should be turned into a memorial for those who lost their lives. If they were to rebuild the towers, I would have them rebuild in a different location. That would be the right thing to do.

RooJay
06-14-2002, 12:58 AM
I think new towers would be a fitting memorial.