PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my Primal Scream Mace Windu. Wow, does he suck...

Dexter
05-17-2002, 11:29 PM
Finally found some Geonosian Rescue Mace Windus today. Despite my initial excitement, after getting this guy out of the package I'm forced to admit that I'm *greatly* disappointed.

First, the head. Someone told me that it corresponds to the Arena Battle scene. Well, I don't remember Mace ever closing his eyes and screaming in the movie. It either wasn't there or it was so short I missed it. The head doesn't look good at all on display. There's NO reason for Mace to be the only figure with bizarre facial expressions.

His stance is horrible. He won't stand up no matter how hard I try.

The magnet in the lightsaber is way too weak. He throws the lightsaber away every time I push the button. The "action" arm is articulated at the elbow, but I have no idea why. It just makes Mace look silly, and it adds nothing because there's really no way to pose it because the joint is so loose.

Articulation is poor. Hand articulation woulda been a HUGE help, since then he could actually point the lightsaber in different directions or hold it with both hands.

The biggest problem with this figure is his non-"action" arm. It permanently molded in one position, and has no articulation at the elbow. Since Mace can't hold the lightsaber with both arms, it looks like he permanently has a stomach ache and has to put his arm on his tummy. This makes it impossible to find a cool pose for Mace.

On the up-side, Mace's lightsaber is damn cool. On the down-side--that's all that's cool about this figure. Unlike some of the other figures like Kit Fisto, Mace isn't a one-pose wonder--he's a NO-pose loser.

Thumbs down, Hasbro. Easily the worst Episode I figure I've bought. 3/10.

Taichi
05-18-2002, 02:25 AM
What I did was to take a clear Hasbro rubber band, and wrap it around his wrist.....then loop it down under his elbow, so it looks like he's swinging his saber.......

then pose him whichever way you like.....there's not much you can do with this figure, but once you find a way to keep his floppy elbow in place, you'll find that some dynamic action poses are possible.....

Obi-Don
05-18-2002, 07:50 AM
I wasn't too crazy about this one either. I didn't buy him and so far, I am keeping to my word as not to buy everything just what I like.

JEDIpartner
05-18-2002, 10:25 AM
It's a total piece of crap from what I've seen. I've seen him out of the box. If I got him... it would be for the sole purpose of getting the lightsabre and giving it to "mail-away" Mace.

QLD
05-18-2002, 12:12 PM
Well, I prefer to call him "Big O" Mace WIndu. However, it's not great......but not as horrible as I had heard.

Taichi
05-18-2002, 04:41 PM
I bought it because Mace is my favorite character....no other reason.....

I have every other Mace figure (Except the Deluxes, and the 12" ones).......

this one is definitely the bottom of the list.....

Mailaway Mace is the best.....

Darth Yambag
05-18-2002, 08:01 PM
They managed to mess up the coolest dude in the galaxy. Taichi is right...Mailaway mace was the best so far. How about Mace with the articulation of Saesee Tinn or Sam Wessel. And enough with these cheesy buttons that take away from the cool poses.

Here is a cool tip for Screaming Mace: an Homage to Li from Crouching Tiger. I have mace's "action arm"pinned begind his back so he holds the lightsaber behind his back straight up. It looks like Li...or Lo (Chow Yun Fat) from CTHD when he is fighting in the trees. You know Sam L Jackson loves the hong kong movies and CTHD is a homage to that genre. That is what this figure is stuck with

Beast
05-18-2002, 08:11 PM
You could always swap heads with a G.I. Joe figure that's in a wetsuit. Add some sculpy hair and a beard, and you have "Deep Blue Sea" Shark Attack Samuel L. Jackson. :D :crazed:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarkArtist
05-18-2002, 09:35 PM
He looks like he's taking a healthy crap. On the note of him not holding the ligtsaber when you push the button the Darth Vader is the same way. Al least Darth Vader is a more accurate sculpt however

Buffer72
05-19-2002, 10:52 AM
I bought this figure, took his lightsaber, and gave it to the Mace Windu from TPM. Even though he is not "action posed" he is still light years better than "Take a crap" Mace..

Rogue II
05-19-2002, 11:20 AM
Well, from the pics I've seen of him.....if you put some hair on him, he looks like he could be the Godfather of Soul...James Brown, singing "I FEEL GOOD!"

Forhekset
05-19-2002, 05:26 PM
Apparently I'm in the minority, but I like ol' "battle roar" Mace :D My only gripes are the lack of wrist articulation (so he can't hold his sabre properly in both hands, no matter how hard you try) and the goofy elbow hinge on his action arm. It looks crummy and there's not a lot of point to it. Otherwise I don't think he's so bad.

Think of it this way: if nothing else he's worth $6 for the comedic value alone. Like you said, he can hold his non-action arm on his stomach... "Damn! I think I ate some bad potato salad!" Or if you raise his arm up he appears to be holding it over his forehead... "Phew! Nobody told me Geonosis was gonna be so HOT!" Plus it's fun whacking Final Battle Jango's head off.

BTW if you're having trouble with his lightsabre staying in his hand while using the "action feature", plug the end of his sabre into the hole below his hand on the action arm. Problem solved.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-19-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
Well, from the pics I've seen of him.....if you put some hair on him, he looks like he could be the Godfather of Soul...James Brown, singing "I FEEL GOOD!"

ROTFLMAO!!!

:p

pthfnder89
05-20-2002, 12:12 PM
I have to say I was really disappointed in him to at first, but he grew on me really fast. I think that's because I got Final Battle Jango at the same time, and like Forhekset said, it's just plain FUN to whck his head off :D

It's really evident how wrong his sculpt is when you see the movie though. Whenever Mace gets angry or has to concentrate to fend off attacks, his lips actually get real tight and he just piches his face. Almost the totaly opposite of what the figure is doing.

eliwankenobi
05-20-2002, 12:22 PM
I've seen tons of the "Passing a stone Mace Windu" on the pegs at my local stores - and I've passed on him every time. The head sculpt is just horrible - and after seeing the flick, I just wonder what in the hell Hasbro was thinking with this one. Really tees me off too cuz he's one BMF Jedi Master and deserves a cool fig - not some "ow, I smashed my finger" pose.
I'll prob settle for the deluxe Mace - marginally better pose, and still get his sweet metal saber hilt.

Mace Windex
05-20-2002, 12:32 PM
This is like the horrible QUI-Gon figs from ep-1. They have the 12 in electronic Qui-gon with screeming face and the regular qui-gon with screeming face. What were they thinking? A Jedi isn't supposed to go buck wild screaming and such anyway. Then again, did anyone listen to Yoda when he was fighting Dooku?

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Mace Windex
A Jedi isn't supposed to go buck wild screaming and such anyway.

Oh, they're not? Like at the end of ROTJ after Vader tells Luke that maybe his sister can be turned to the Dark Side, and Luke screams NOOOOO! and then proceeds to go ape**** on Vader? Right...they're not supposed to do that. Guess Luke didn't read that part in the Jedi Conduct & Behavior Manual. :)

pthfnder89
05-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset

Oh, they're not? Like at the end of ROTJ after Vader tells Luke that maybe his sister can be turned to the Dark Side, and Luke screams NOOOOO! and then proceeds to go ape**** on Vader? Right...they're not supposed to do that. Guess Luke didn't read that part in the Jedi Conduct & Behavior Manual. :)

I can foret Luke since he wasn't trained properly as a Jedi anyway. But Obi Wan does the same thing in TPM when Qui Gonn is killed. Then he goes nuts on Darth Maul as soon as the energy field is released. Not very calm and Jedi like is it? :)

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

I can foret Luke since he wasn't trained properly as a Jedi anyway. But Obi Wan does the same thing in TPM when Qui Gonn is killed. Then he goes nuts on Darth Maul as soon as the energy field is released. Not very calm and Jedi like is it? :)

True. And Luke wasn't "formerly" trained as a Jedi, but he was trained by Yoda. Surely that counts for something :)