PDA

View Full Version : Boxed Images of the TRU Exclusive ESB X-Wing

Beast
05-18-2002, 03:47 AM
Finally boxed images of the Exclusive Sage X-Wing have surfaced, and while it was originally said it was going to be a 25th Anniversary version of the ship, the ship and packaging is based off of the ship as it appeared in The Empire Strikes Back.

It comes with an exclusive "Dagobah R2-D2", a storage crate, a ration kit, and the powerlamp Luke plugs R2-D2 into. It also finally has a functioning Droid Socket. The window box even makes it look like the ship is half submerged in the Dagobah swamp.

It's retail appears to be $39.99 and should be out this Summer or Fall. Thanks to Rebelscum for the Images. "Yipee!" :D :cool:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Saga X-Wing Boxed Front:

Beast
05-18-2002, 03:48 AM
Saga X-Wing Boxed Back:

Battle Droid
05-18-2002, 04:30 AM
To bad it's an Exclusive. :(

Rogue II
05-18-2002, 06:28 AM
Well, if it had to be an exclusive, I'm glad it belongs to TRU. They seem to have a pretty good grip on distro and quantaties. I didn't hear many people complaining about the availability of the AT-ST/Speederbike exclusive.

Jargo
05-18-2002, 09:11 AM
Well thank Zeus it's a TRU exclusive and I'll be able to get one with a little bit of luck. Looks really cool too. I have a wee space set aside for this. Summer sounds like a good time to release it.
The paint deco looks okay too.

IcebergSlim
05-18-2002, 09:30 AM
Why come out with a 3rd X-Wing when there are plenty of vehicles that haven't come out yet??

Jargo
05-18-2002, 09:44 AM
As a long time fan and collector I've had plenty of time to collect all the cool ships and figures. Most of which are long since discontinued and hard to obtain. Making re-issues of some of the key vehicles of the saga will allow new fans who might only have got into star wars at the TPM stage to get some of the stuf we've been cherishing for years. Plus this new version of the x-wing has a usable cockpit and a droid slot. making for excellent play value. It's going to be much lighter withouth the batteries and electronics so kids will be able to play with it without breaking their arms trying to lift the thing.

It's about continuing the dream, keeping the next generation interested so it doesn't become a fossil of a hobby like '00 scale train sets have become. It keeps peole aware of the toys and the hobby thrives as more and more collectors come onboard. The more collectors there are the more chance there is that the toys will keep coming long after the movies have been finished. hasbro will only supply where is a demand.

Question answered? :)

JEDIpartner
05-18-2002, 10:20 AM
Oooh... I think I will finally get an X-Wing!!! This looks good! The Artoo looks to be painted nicely as well. I hope it's a good retractable leg version!!!

evenflow
05-18-2002, 10:33 AM
The coolest part is that if you look at the actual R2 figure, and not the picture on the box, you can tell that he is dirty like he was just spit out of the swamp.

MikeAndTheBots
05-18-2002, 11:58 AM
Is it the bigger to scale X-Wing or the orginal POTF2 sized X-Wing?

Beast
05-18-2002, 12:06 PM
Sorry JEDIpartnr, the R2-D2 that comes with the X-wing doesn't appear to have a retractible leg. I belive they used the R2-B1 figure as the basis for this R2. No big loss though, it still looks good. Oh, and MikeandtheBots, it's a gutted, retooled, and re-painted Power FX X-Wing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

figrin bran
05-18-2002, 01:06 PM
i can't wait to get this esp. since i never got the potf2 xwing

pthfnder89
05-18-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Finally boxed images of the Exclusive Sage X-Wing have surfaced, and while it was originally said it was going to be a 25th Anniversary version of the ship, the ship and packaging is based off of the ship as it appeared in The Empire Strikes Back.

It comes with an exclusive "Dagobah R2-D2", a storage crate, a ration kit, and the powerlamp Luke plugs R2-D2 into. It also finally has a functioning Droid Socket. The window box even makes it look like the ship is half submerged in the Dagobah swamp.
[/B]
'
Thanks for the pics JarJar!

I'm glad this was finally cleared up. Several people kept telling me that this was NOT supposed to be a Dagobah Xwing. Then WHY did it include sll of those accessories that Luke used in Dagobah?! :rolleyes:

Anyway it looks like an awesome ship. Can't wait to get one! :)
It makes me sad though; I spent several days last year gutting my own PFX Xwing so that I could fit a pilot inside. Hate to see the electrocis (not to mention all that hard work) go to waste...

Beast
05-18-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
Anyway it looks like an awesome ship. Can't wait to get one! :)
It makes me sad though; I spent several days last year gutting my own PFX Xwing so that I could fit a pilot inside. Hate to see the electrocis (not to mention all that hard work) go to waste...
Hehe, I know exactly how you feel. I can almost gurantee the production of any figure, if I start a custom of them. So far I have started or finished customs for, Wuher, Grand Moff Tarkin, Luke: X-Wing Pilot, Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, among others, just to have Hasbro a little while later, decide to produce the figure. I'm thinking of restarting my Orange Handmaiden again, hoping that Hasbro will catch on. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Taichi
05-18-2002, 04:32 PM
I've got the POTF2 X-Wing, but it's nice to FINALLY be able to get one with an accurate scale, removable droid, and really good extras.....

this will probably be the best X-Wing out.....and I'm sure that everybody who's anybody will want one....

I want that ship!

Dexter
05-18-2002, 05:20 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Just when I thought we'd gotten every possible R2-D2... Dagobah R2-D2!!!

Looks to my like he's a repaint of the R2-D2 FreezeFrame figure with new features... at least, he better be! There's finally a use for his Periscope, since this is the Dagobah version. I don't mind that he won't have a 3rd leg... this particular R2 doesn't need one. :D

Darth_Maul25SW
05-18-2002, 06:28 PM
The cool thing is that it seems like you can put in any R2 unit you want! That rules. I'm putting my R3-T7 in there since the poor guy didn't get to see any action in AOTC

DarthMaulSithLord
05-18-2002, 06:48 PM
It's too overpriced IMO. Btw, the wings are on backwards.

:)

Beast
05-18-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
It's too overpriced IMO. Btw, the wings are on backwards.
:)
No, the wings are on the proper way on the back of the box. You can tell because of the three rounded pipe-like bumps at the back of the wings. What they did was paint the stripes backwards on the prototype version. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Old Fossil
05-18-2002, 08:21 PM
Darth_Maul25SW has the right idea. Buy three or four for different astromechs: R3-T7; R2-B1; the red one (R2-R5?); and (coolest of all) the rumored R5-D4 resculpt! To think, R5 with a SHIP of his own (never mind the pilot ;>) ...

Wow. Jek and Biggs and Wedge may finally get their own ships! That rocks.

DarkArtist
05-18-2002, 09:14 PM
Since the ship is a retooled PowerFx I wonder if it will have any sound effects or new movie dialogue. Can't wait.

Beast
05-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by DarkArtist
Since the ship is a retooled PowerFx I wonder if it will have any sound effects or new movie dialogue. Can't wait.
Sorry to inform you, but as I posted a few posts back, the ship has been gutted, re-tooled, and re-painted. The electronics have been removed. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dexter
05-18-2002, 09:34 PM
<<It's too overpriced IMO.>>

What! $39.99 is nothing for a Dagobah R2-D2! I've always wanted one of those! And to think... I get a FREE X-Wing with him! WOW! :D

SithDroid
05-19-2002, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by IcebergSlim
Why come out with a 3rd X-Wing when there are plenty of vehicles that haven't come out yet??

I agree. I only have one of the 2 X-Wings released so far and that is enough for me. The new design looks pretty cool, but why do we have to have a 3rd one? We also have gotten a 2nd AT-ST and Snowspeeder as well. Why are these getting made before never produced vehicles? We desparately need a Jawa Sandcrawler first. I don't know about the whole Imperial Shuttle situation so I will dismiss that as of now.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
05-19-2002, 12:39 AM
Finally a decent looking X-Wing!

Beast
05-19-2002, 12:47 AM
SithDroid, the last X-wing came out back in what, 1999? Kids may want to buy an X-Wing fighter toy, and now can't find one on the shelves. It's one of the main ships in the movie, and this is a movie year. Kids that get excited over Star Wars may want some of the older ships, and where are they gonna get them. Most parents would rather buy them one at the Toy Store then track one down on Ebay. And even if they did track down a Power FX X-wing online, it's way to heavy and more for collector's to really be played with. Plus we get a droid slot, on a correct scaled X-Wing for once. Jargo made a similar point, on the first page. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
05-19-2002, 01:51 AM
I thinks its gonna be a great Star Wars toy. I can't wait to get one! I love how it has ship accessories and a nifty R2.

hamsterboy
05-19-2002, 01:59 AM
I think this is better than the first two. Just one question,it's says R2 feet can bend to fit into the slot,can the other droids do this as well?

Beast
05-19-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by hamsterboy
I think this is better than the first two. Just one question,it's says R2 feet can bend to fit into the slot,can the other droids do this as well?
It just says that the droid's head and legs are moveable, so it's just saying that it has articulation there. It looks like it may have ankle articulation as well, but it's hard to tell. May have to wait til we some opened pictures of it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darth chuck
05-19-2002, 06:38 AM
Anyone concerned about the price need only wait 6-8 months or so and I'm sure it will drop. People have already found the AT-ST at marked down prices.

And another great thing about this being a toys r us exclusive is that if your local tru doesn't have it, you need only log onto tru.com and order it. They sometimes have individual figures for sale on that site also. I ordered the AT-ST and several figs and had them on my doorstep in three days.

mylow thehutt
05-19-2002, 01:17 PM
Jar Jar do you know if R2 has an open panel feature for the plug?

yngadult
05-19-2002, 07:47 PM
Is the wing span to scale on this one? I recall the earlier POTF X wing looked as if the wing span was too short.

bigbarada
05-19-2002, 08:07 PM
I'm really excited about this vehicle. I need an X-Wing for my POTJ Luke X-Wing Pilot and I didn't want to stick such a well sculpted figure into such a crappy vehicle as the original 1995 re-release. Plus I didn't want to pay higher than retail for a vehicle I would have to gut in order to use. Thus this vehicle is perfect.

Now we just need a correctly scaled TIE Fighter with a completely resculpted pilot.

Beast
05-19-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Now we just need a correctly scaled TIE Fighter with a completely resculpted pilot.
Hasbro is kicking that idea around, but it would most likely have to be an exclusive vehicle, since most stores won't dedicate shelf space for vehicles all that often. We are lucky that Hasbro can get them to do so, in movie years. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthMaulSithLord
05-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Errr....so are they painting those damn stripes on or are they stickers? If they are painted on i'll have to paint them over (if i ever manage to get this darned exclusive over here) so Wedge has his own X-Wing. Can't have the Endor Battle hanging from your ceilling without some X-Wings.

:D

bigbarada
05-19-2002, 08:25 PM
It's nice that they are thinking about it at least. As long as a new TIE Fighter is released I would be happy, even it it turned out to be a Walgreens exclusive.

That and a less heroically proportioned, more detailed TIE Pilot are in the top ten of my want list.

JediIan
05-19-2002, 08:26 PM
I hope in those boxes in such, it has Luke's flashlight, can't wait to have Yoda do his thang... "meh, meh, meh, meh, OOOOOOOOO, ooooh oh hoo hoo ho hoo....... mine, or i will help you not!"

JediIan
05-19-2002, 08:27 PM
Oh lord, dont EVEN suggest things like a Wal-Greens exclusive, that would be the end of me. lol

Beast
05-19-2002, 08:34 PM
The stripes are painted on, instead of being stickers. Hasbro stated that when the ship was first shown months ago. And JediIan, easy solution if you want Luke's Lamp. Hunt down a Flashback Figure of Yoda. It has the lamp, as well as Yoda's cook pot packed in. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-19-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by JediIan
I hope in those boxes in such, it has Luke's flashlight, can't wait to have Yoda do his thang... "meh, meh, meh, meh, OOOOOOOOO, ooooh oh hoo hoo ho hoo....... mine, or i will help you not!"

The Flashback Yoda came with Luke's flashlight, a cooking pot and his cane. Sadly, though, no snake.:(

bigbarada
05-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Ooops, yet again a victim of 'lightning keyboard' Jar Jar.:)

Croaker
05-20-2002, 08:34 AM
Why does it say on the back that the droid has removeable head and legs?

pthfnder89
05-20-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Croaker
Why does it say on the back that the droid has removeable head and legs?

Just a marketing tool. They want it to seem like it's an extra feature, and therefore, you are getting more for your money. :rolleyes: Almost every company does this, but some of Hasbros can be pretty hysterical. Like Jargos favorite "feature" that is listed on the back of the AOTC Battle Droid. "Can hold weapon with both hands":D

the sad thing is, it really can't...

I'm guessing the pack-in R2 will have a regular swivle head and basic leg articulation, like the Commlink R2. If we're lucky, he might have the newer ankle joints as well. :)

bigbarada
05-20-2002, 12:37 PM
If you hit the figures repeatedly with a rock, they all have removable head and legs.:rolleyes:

eliwankenobi
05-20-2002, 12:39 PM
Super-sweet!!!! I'll definitely be picking up on of these and hanging it up next to my PowerFX X-wing. Now I can get both Luke and Wedge their own ships.
If anyone who didn't pick up the PFX X-wing is in doubt about this new one I would DEFINITELY recommend it. The scale is great and the detailing is awesome. And this new one is even better with a droid socket!! This is by far my fave of all the ships Hasbro has made (that is, until my TIE Bomber arrives in the mail).
If I had just one request for the new one though, I'd like to see Hasbro also pack in a boarding ladder.