PDA

View Full Version : Why is it "Attack of the Clones"?

Toad
05-18-2002, 10:05 AM
I mean, the clones didn't really attack anyone, did they? "Attack" sounds sinister -- and they were actually helping!

JediDan
05-18-2002, 11:40 AM
Yes, it's should be more like Clones to the Rescue. ;) But then again it' is going to be those clones that end up being the attackers soon. The SW saga is becoming much more clearer now.

Lord Tenebrous
05-18-2002, 11:55 AM
The Battle of Geonosis was the first large-scale military maneuver in the galaxy since the formation of the Republic, and since Palpatine and Dooku intentionally started the war, the clones are attacking, not defending.

One could now argue that the clones attacked Geonosis just so Dooku could get his hands on the Death Star plans...but there's more to it than that.

JediTricks
05-18-2002, 03:46 PM
I've heard that thing about "the clones never attacked" so many times this weekend from friends and family, like they're blaming ME as if, because I'm the biggest Star Wars fan they know, it's somehow my fault. I didn't know what to tell them, I basically just shrugged and agreed - the title never worked for me before, and now it seems even more out of place.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
05-19-2002, 01:23 AM
The word "attack" is often perceived in a negative way. There really are no decent words synonymous to "attack." The only good words I can think of are strike, offensive/defensive, and barrage. Honestly, do these seem like good titles?

Strike of the clones
Offensive of the clones
Defensive of the clones
Barrage of the clones

IMO, the movie should have been entitled,
STAR WARS: EPISODE II, RISE OF THE CLONES

2-1B
05-19-2002, 02:17 AM
A literal interpretation is not mandatory, it has meaning on a few levels. :)

The galaxy is being "attacked" by this clone army which will eventually serve the Emperor to oppress its inhabitants. They just don't know it yet. But someone in the movie does. ;)

SQueek
05-19-2002, 11:23 AM
I think its just the begining of the entire clones era, the clones are attacking in a way that they are attacking the way the galaxy works, i mean no longer will battle droids be the supreme army. none of this makes any sense, does it? it was a stupid title, such as ROTJ should stayted revenge

SithDroid
05-19-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Hasbro'sBountyHunter
The word "attack" is often perceived in a negative way. There really are no decent words synonymous to "attack." The only good words I can think of are strike, offensive/defensive, and barrage. Honestly, do these seem like good titles?

IMO, the movie should have been entitled,
STAR WARS: EPISODE II, RISE OF THE CLONES

I agree. That title would have been way more perfect than the one we got. Attack seems as if they began something, or that they are associated with evil, but in AOTC they are indeed on the side of the Republic. The title never worked for me and after seeing the film, it just doesn't make sense. I don't understand why GL and Rick McCallum backed the title so much saying that we would have to see the movie before we judged the title, yet now that I've seen the movie the title still SUCKS and does not fit with the storyline.

THE Slayer
05-19-2002, 03:20 PM
From Dooku's pov I would call it "attack of the clones". Maybe if you're in the republic you would see it differently, but I think it's safe to say that if you're on the receiving end of the clones you could call it an attack.

Everything in Star wars is always based on someones POV, mostly because all the characters lie and manipulate the facts.

JediTricks
05-20-2002, 10:24 PM
Dooku isn't on the receiving end of the Clones, he's in on the whole scheme.

browndroid
05-20-2002, 10:43 PM
i dont think attack of the clones works either, the rise of the clones sounds alot better

eliwankenobi
05-21-2002, 01:25 PM
Sure, "'Attack' of the Clones" is questionable in regards to what/who they are supposedly attacking in the film, so maybe it needs to be perceived on a grander scale.
Maybe what's being implied is that clones are now "attacking" the entire galaxy, as a dominant military force. Even in the SW universe, clones are looked upon with distain so a sudden onslaught of clones - no matter which side they may be supporting, or in the eyes of the general populace - would be something to be feared.

If you want to talk about crappy titles, let's talk about "The Phantom Menace". Now that's a crappy title - but I'm sure this one has already been discussed.

And SQueek, ROTJ works just fine the way it is. "Return" implies the redemption of Vader/Anakin - it's not talking about Luke. GL had good reason to change this, as "Revenge" is not a quality of a true Jedi.

JEDIpartner
05-21-2002, 02:02 PM
STAR WARS: EPISODE II- The Big, Groovy Clone Party! :crazed:

"Rise" doesn't really work either... they were never there to "rise" from anything. They just suddenly "were". They weren't like minions who revolted or came to power. "A New Hope" is a pretty soft title... it sounds like a "Lifetime" movie.

billfremore
05-21-2002, 02:12 PM
Why don't we petition for George Lucas to change all of his titles.

A New Hope would be much better as Rise of the Rebellion.

The Empire Strikes Back would make much more sense if you changed the title to The Empire Attacks.

Hey, why don't we just change Return of the Jedi to Fuzzy teddy bears help kick the Empire's Butt.

You know while I'm on the topic, maybe Star Wars isn't the best title either, I mean the stars aren't actually fighting.

Kinda makes you think, don't it?

Pendo
05-21-2002, 02:18 PM
What's wrong with the "The Empire Strikes Back", and "A New Hope" title?!? I like them!

I think "The Phantom Menace" could do with changing, but other than that I quite like all the titles.

PENDO!

mark2d2
05-21-2002, 02:57 PM
Well, actually, the Clones did "Attack" the arena. And had they not done this, our heros would've been completely wiped out . . .

The title isn't the greatest, but I don't find it misleading.

It's not like the clones just sat there twiddling their thumbs . . . Besides, their very existance is an "Attack" on the Republic as it definitely treads on very morally questionable grounds . . . Genetic Engineering, a new breed of "docile" disposable lifeforms . . . all of this is very creepy. Certainly not the noble standards that the Jedi were set up to defend. (Did anybody notice how many Clones were killed in "friendly fire?") Yes, oh, yes, the shroud of the dark side has fallen.

billfremore
05-21-2002, 02:59 PM
man it's hard to convey sarcasm through a message board. :)

leenovak
05-21-2002, 03:18 PM
I still would have named it "Star Wars Episode II - Send in the Clones."

scruffziller
05-21-2002, 04:56 PM
Before we seen it, and from the novel cover it appears that the clone troopers are the bad guys, because of being led by Jango Fett. But does Obi Wan know that the guy who he fought in the Mandolorian armor was the man he talked to in the Kamino facility? I can't remember.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-21-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
Why don't we petition for George Lucas to change all of his titles.

A New Hope would be much better as Rise of the Rebellion.

The Empire Strikes Back would make much more sense if you changed the title to The Empire Attacks.

Hey, why don't we just change Return of the Jedi to Fuzzy teddy bears help kick the Empire's Butt.

You know while I'm on the topic, maybe Star Wars isn't the best title either, I mean the stars aren't actually fighting.

Kinda makes you think, don't it?

ROTFLMAO!!!

Very funny!

I think "Clone Wars" would have been better for Episode II, but i really don't care that much. I'm just glad the movie rocks.

:)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-21-2002, 06:00 PM
Now that the movie's been released, conjecture on EP2's title is now moot. Let's talk about EP3's title. I offer "Star Wars Episode 3: Return of the Syncophants" to G.Lu. at no charge.

Wookiee
05-29-2002, 11:06 AM
Speaking of attacking clones- OK, so the clones were created on Kamino, after years of work by the fashion runway aliens there. But when they attacked Geonosis, they had all kinds of heavy duty artillary, ships, walkers, etc. I don't think all this stuff came from Kamino did it? The aliens there seemed more like they were into genetic engineering than military vehicle engineering. So the Rebublic/Jedis had to get this stuff elsewhere, including big starships. Were the clones trained in the use of these ships and walkers? If not, and the republic got them someplace else, that would mean the clones were operating these things, like attack gunships and walkers, for the first time ever during the battle on Geonosis.
Furthermore, if the senate was still debating the employment of clones so that they had to be produced in secret, the same agents acting in secrecy must have placed a pretty major order with Kuat Yards or Correlia or wherever they got the ships from too. The gunships did have the Republic insignia on them, similar to the jedi starfighter? Did the gunships belong to the Jedi?
Oh those Clones.

Tha Showstoppa
05-30-2002, 01:02 AM
I'm no expert on this, but yes, I believe the Republic Gunships belonged to the Republic.

The walkers and other military vehicles were in association with the Clones. I'm willing to bed Rothana(sp?) Shipyards and Correlia don't make AT-TE's to order, so I'm sure they had some ready. (We also have to remember a number of star systems have announced plans to secede from the Republic, better safe than sorry :) )

Also, if you notice the Gunships had the red/white colors of the Republic, while the other vehicles had simple colors such as gray.

I hope I helped, then again, I hope I'm close to being right :)

-Tha Showstoppa

Laserbrain
05-30-2002, 01:22 AM
"Attack of the Clones" does sound just as literal as "The Empire Strikes Back," and a good title for the middle of a Force sandwhich. The title is more symbolic and complicated when you see the movie but it really couldn't be called anything else.

You had to have "Clones" in the title somehow, but you already had "THE Phantom Menace" so it couldn't be "THE Clone Wars." Besides, it's only about the first battle of the Clone Wars not the whole conflict.

If that's the way titles are chosen, I don't know what they're gonna calle EIII. I want it to be called "Revenge of the Jedi," to allude to Anakin's "Return" in ROTJ.

JediTricks
05-30-2002, 02:25 AM
The Empire DOES strike back in Episode V, how can "Attack of the Clones" be as literal as "The Empire Strikes Back" unless the clones attack? Yoda makes it quite clear the difference between "attack" and "defense" in ESB, so I don't think the Ep II title can be taken as literally.

Also, there are lots of titles that could have fit the bill as equally (if not more so) to AOTC: "Strike of the Clones", "Emergence of the Clones", "Battle of the Clones", "Onslaught of the Clones", or even "Storm of the Clones" which has an allusion to the CT and defines what the clones do in the film.

Megs 2
05-30-2002, 11:53 AM
"Wrath of the Clones." I had to type it.

icatch9
05-30-2002, 12:51 PM
They couldn't call it Rise of the Clones because Epidsode III will be called Rise of the Empire. OH, great now I opened a whole new can of worms.

Jonna
05-30-2002, 12:53 PM
How about The Bad News Clones Save The Day or maybe not!

JediTricks
05-30-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Megs 2
"Wrath of the Clones." I had to type it. CLONES!!!! CLONES! Clones!- William "Admiral Dooku" Shatner. :D

(sorry, it had to be done ;))