PDA

View Full Version : Trilogy Music

The Bald Ewok
09-14-2001, 04:09 PM
Does anybody still listen to the score from the trilogy music? I know of having a bad day, nothing perks me up like the Emperors March from ROTJ! Talk about just plain evil music!!

Lobito
09-14-2001, 04:12 PM
You gotta love all the music of the SW films, most of all the tune when the Executor shows up for the first time.

bigbarada
09-14-2001, 07:13 PM
I still love listening to the ESB soundtrack, in my mind the best soundtrack of the trilogy. Especially the Hoth battle music and Yoda's theme.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-14-2001, 07:17 PM
SW music is why CD changers were invented! Put in 3 CDs of 70+ minutes each, and you've got a whole afternoon planned! Only don't put in the Ultimate Edition of TPM in shuffle mode; it's only good to listen to it in order or it gets odd.

GNT
09-15-2001, 12:23 AM
I like to listen to any Star Wars music when ever I get the time, theres nothing better than it!

JediTricks
09-16-2001, 12:39 PM
I can often listen to the SE soundtracks for ANH and ESB, but the ROTJ soundtrack I rarely listen to and I try very hard not to listen to the Ep 1 soundtrack disk at all, I don't like the music from that film. Usually, I'll put ANH in just because it's so danged fantastic, ESB is more "mood music".

bigbarada
09-16-2001, 01:34 PM
I loved the TPM soundtrack, especially the Ultimate Edition. I found it much better than ROTJ and right on par with ESB and ANH. The only song I really didn't like was "Duel of the Fates." A little too repetetive for me.

ESB mood music? What about the Imperial March or the Hoth Battle theme? Ever try listening to the Asteroid Field music while driving down the road (pretending other cars are asteroids to avoid)? Awesome stuff!

master jedi
09-16-2001, 07:43 PM
I liked Duel of the Fates. IMO it's right up there with the Imperial March.

GNT
09-17-2001, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Ever try listening to the Asteroid Field music while driving down the road (pretending other cars are asteroids to avoid)? Awesome stuff!

You'd probably crash into another or something,if you listen to it in a car :)

JEDIpartner
09-17-2001, 12:14 PM
Why as a matter-of-fact I DO!!! I have the ROTJ soundtrack with me right now. I'm gonna put in after my Madonna- True Blue(Remastered) is done playing. I had ESB with me at work last week. It makes the day go a whole lot faster.

I like TPM as well. The ultimate edition rocks!!!

John Williams has made some utterly memorable music for these films. The melodies are so identifiable that I can hear a piece and know what part of the film it came from.

And BigBarada- I'm just as guilty as you for putting in the "asteroid field music" while cruising down the highway... I'm just a big ol' kid!

JediTricks
09-17-2001, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
ESB mood music? What about the Imperial March or the Hoth Battle theme? Ever try listening to the Asteroid Field music while driving down the road (pretending other cars are asteroids to avoid)? Awesome stuff! Hmm, I shouldn't have said "mood music", as I didn't mean it in the cinematic sense. I meant that I play it to enhance my mood, it's got music for almost every mood I can think of.

Starfig873
09-17-2001, 12:32 PM
I'd have to say that the SE ROTJ ending tracks really perk me up. At first I hated it and would have rather listened to "Yub-Yub" but it has grown on me. And I now believe that the change was a good one.

Plus the Imperial March always adds some energy to the situation :)

Huckleberry Josh
09-17-2001, 07:18 PM
I like most of the music in the films except for the music in the original ROTJ at the end during the celebration. That music sucks!

JEDIpartner
09-18-2001, 10:54 AM
I refer to the original Ewok Celebration as that danged Muppet Show music!!

I like the new music much better... it's much more reverent.

However... I sorta like the new Jedi Rocks music, but it is far too terrestrial sounding for my tastes. If they could have played some of those horn lines with different instruments it would have worked better for me. The original "Lapti Nek" was pretty funny... they should have just done a remake of it.

stillakid
09-18-2001, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Edition? What's that? How did I miss it? Is it all the music for TPM? Where was I?:confused:

JEDIpartner
09-18-2001, 12:01 PM
Yes...!! The Ultimate Edition is a two disc set that contains all the music from the film and also has music that was written for, but not used in the film. It also has the "dialogue version" of "Duel of the Fates"- it's almost like the Video Broadcast version, but has movie dialogue running throughout.

The pacakging isn't all THAT great, but it has a black and blue foil cover digipack with Maul's face on the front. There is also a booklet with stills from the film that match the tracks so you know where they were placed.

It's pretty cool and I got it the day it came out. Go pick this up immediately!!!

El Chuxter
09-18-2001, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Ultimate Edition? What's that? How did I miss it? Is it all the music for TPM? Where was I?:confused:

The Episode One Soundtrack: Ultimate Edition came out about a year after the first soundtrack for TPM, in response to fans complaining about there not being enough of the film score available. It's a two-disc set that purports to have every note recorded, but is clearly edited the same way the music was in the film. Still, very worth having. It comes in a blue metallic case with Darth Maul on the front and is available just about anywhere.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2001, 06:47 PM
Here's my comment about having to listen to the Ultimate Edition all the way through. Unlike other SW collections (can't call 'em albums any more!), this one's done almost like one long song at times. So listening to it on "shuffle" sometimes makes a song cut out awkwardly.

Mike Troxell
09-18-2001, 11:21 PM
Bah humbug! Sony was incorrect in saying that the disc had all music recorded, because entire cues were cut out entirely from the film (and likewise the release of this isolated score on disc). I am probably just spoiled by the Special Edition releases, which are bar none the best score releases ever made, with the 2-disc Rhino compilation of Superman following closely behind.

Of course, there's always the bootleg Mars Attacks!, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Hook, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, and Independence Day if you want to count unofficial releases. And I don't count them.

Perhaps somewhere down the line a company more attuned to the film score consumer's needs will gain the rights to the prequels' music and we'll get an appropriate, full-score release. Until then, we'll have to listen to George Lucas's hackneyed interpretation of an artist's music.

It's still good though. Don't get me wrong. I could go on for days with the merits and downsides of this particular release. If you don't believe me, see my review here (http://worldzone.net/music/johnwilliams/starwarsmusic/episode1/cds/ultimate-analysis.htm), glaring errors and omissions included free of charge.

Jargo
10-02-2001, 08:13 PM
I can't remember what Lapti Nek sounds like anymore not having a copy of the original video of ROTJ. Or the original release of the sound track. I know that Jedi rocks uses a tiny music cue from it but that's not enough really. Can't remember Yub Yub either. Anyone know of a site that has *nudge nudge wink wink* information on them? :) I just got a copy of ROTJ SE OST today and have to say that I love the music for the Ewok scenes but can't help feeling that the quasi-comical scoring hindered the film and possibly was a major reason for the Ewok bashing all these years. If the music had been a little more sinister then the mood would have been a little more... I don't know, intimidating. You see where I'm going? I reckon that if the score hadn't sounded like a cartoon then we would have felt at least a little respect for the fuzzballs. The best is the Ewok feast piece at the end of disk two. That put me in mind of the Mos Espa 'ethnic' music from TPM. And the kids voices in the victory celebration made me realise that the music is as much about John Williams journey as a composer as it is about the films. ROTJ had a little bit of soft childrens voices and TPM had full blown kiddie choirs. I can't help but wonder how much of the score for AOTC will be vocal.

stillakid
10-02-2001, 09:17 PM
I think Blink 182 has a track lined up.

:D

Jargo
10-02-2001, 09:40 PM
What an absolutely appaling thought. I could stomach Missy Elliot though. :p Get your freak on baby!

El Chuxter
10-03-2001, 03:06 PM
There are vocal segments in ESB (the Cloud City theme) and adult choirs in ROTJ (Emperor's theme).

Jargo
10-03-2001, 04:01 PM
Hmmm, yes. In the extended flight into cloud city. Nice music but that scene annoys me because it really wasn't needed. I'm trying to find copies of Yub Yub and Lapti Nek so I can compare old and new. I had the documentary on the making of ROTJ on video but someone stole it from my flat a few years back. Shame because it had the english version of Lapti Nek on it.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-07-2001, 10:01 PM
I was too cheap to buy the soundtracks for each movie of the trilogy so I bought a compilation of the three. It was cheap cuz it was by Varujan Kojian and the Utah Symphony Orchrestra (with a blessing by John Williams). The songs sound virtually the same from the soundtrack and feature the best cuts from each of the movies. My favorite are the highly recognizable Yoda's Theme and the Imperial March.

While we are on the subject of Star Wars music, what does everyone think about the Saga Begins by Weird Al Yankovic.

master jedi
10-07-2001, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
While we are on the subject of Star Wars music, what does everyone think about the Saga Begins by Weird Al Yankovic.

It's the best darn Star Wars song spoof.

The Bald Ewok
10-07-2001, 10:50 PM
The weird Al song is okay, but there is a killer spoof on the cantina scene. I am trying to remember who did it, so I will research it. Once I do find it, you have to check it out, its too funny!

ThomasLane
10-07-2001, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by master jedi

It's the best darn Star Wars song spoof.

So is the song worth the $15 or so purchase price of the CD? ie. Would you listen to it more that twice?

I remember the good ole days when I could just fire up Napster and grab any song I wanted to hear. Now I gotta go down to the music store and shell out $15 for one good song and 10 crap songs.

stillakid
10-08-2001, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by ThomasLane

So is the song worth the $15 or so purchase price of the CD? ie. Would you listen to it more that twice?

I remember the good ole days when I could just fire up Napster and grab any song I wanted to hear. Now I gotta go down to the music store and shell out $15 for one good song and 10 crap songs.

psst....www.imesh.com

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-08-2001, 10:48 PM
You can also try bearshare.com

http://www.bearshare.com

bigbarada
10-08-2001, 11:01 PM
I would quietly hint at audiogalaxy.com but they're getting sued right now.

El Chuxter
10-09-2001, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by ThomasLane

Even if it isn't, a song called Albuquerque would be. And at 15 minutes, it'd take years to download. :)