PDA

View Full Version : Favourite movie of the Trilogy???

Lobito
09-14-2001, 03:16 PM
Whats your favourite movie of the classic trilogy??

Mines is Empire Strikes Back, yep thats the best!!:D

Bel-Cam Jos
09-14-2001, 06:15 PM
I concur. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is the best of them. Why?

Best planet: Hoth
Best vehicle: Snowspeeder
Best costume: Luke's Bespin fatigues
Best Vader lines
Best lighting in a scene: Carbon freezing chamber
Best Yoda lines

Can't top that! :)

bigbarada
09-14-2001, 06:40 PM
I'll pick ESB, because of the humour the tragedy and the Hoth battle sequence. Plus it had the least objectionable SE additions IMHO.

GNT
09-14-2001, 11:13 PM
I like them all and I like them all for different reasons :)

ANH:

We meet the characters
We see what its like on a cra**y sandy planet :)

ESB

Some very good scenes on Bespin
Characters sound believeable
The Bounty Hunters cometh.
"I am your father"

ROTJ

We see jabba The Hutt
Final duel between Luke and Vader
Emperor kinking saome *****
Seeing other planets at the end

master jedi
09-15-2001, 08:30 PM
Mine is A New Hope.

Fulit
09-15-2001, 08:53 PM
Empire Strikes Back gets my vote.

Rollo Tomassi
09-15-2001, 11:59 PM
I gotta go with the original. It set the tone for everything to follow.

TeeEye7
09-16-2001, 06:02 AM
The Empire Strikes Back

B-CJ: What about the lighting in the Vader/Luke lightsaber duel? Just as good IMHO!:)

JediTricks
09-16-2001, 11:43 AM
When I was a kid, ROTJ was my favorite, but as I got older, ESB became my favorite. However, by the time the SEs came out, ANH was my favorite and I had finally sorted out the order:

- ANH is my favorite, I love it the most for what it is.

- ESB is IMO the best, it's just damned good at what it's showing you.

- ROTJ will always hold a special place in my heart for some great scenes, but for me, it's a lot harder to ignore its failings now adays.

bigbarada
09-16-2001, 12:30 PM
ROTJ was the greatest movie ever to me when I was a kid. Now I understand I liked it mainly for it's production values. Which were the best of the OT. But now that TPM is the prettiest of the movies, I have a hard time finding a lot of good to say about ROTJ.

I'll always love Star Wars, because it started it all, and it is totally self contained. You don't ever have to watch another SW movie before or after it and you still feel satisfied.

However, ESB is still my favorite. It's nearly flawless, the dialog is great and the characters act more human than in any other SW film. I think about all my favorite Star Wars quotes and scenes and I realize that they all came from ESB.

Jargo
09-16-2001, 07:33 PM
The richness of colour makes ROTJ the nicest to look at but it lacks real depth for me. ESB is the best directed and acted but it's the most dated costume wise with loads of 1980's influenced design like theHoth costumes and the Bespin designs and colour scheme.
ANH is my favourite. I went into some detail on this in the old forums and I'm too tired to go look for it but ANH is the original that inspired my lifetimes achievements and aspirations. It's the most honest of all three, the most innovative. The others are just rehashes of already used ideas with minor surprises thrown in like halloween candythat isn't really candy.... Not really the best analogy but I'm sure you take my meaning. :)

bigbarada
09-16-2001, 08:43 PM
Not to nit-pick your well thought out post, Jargo, but what the heck here goes.

How could ESB have 80s influenced designs when it was made in 1979? Now if you had said 70s influenced designs then I would have had no issue with the statement. Or maybe ESB was what inspired 80s fashion, is that what you mean?:D ;) :p :cool:

JEDIpartner
09-17-2001, 02:13 PM
I loved ESB. The humour was really well developed for this film. The exchanges between Han, Leia and sometimes Luke were some of the best in the genre. It wasn't a case of "let's see what funny lines we can say". It was more of a "what funny lines would this character say"- whether it was scarasm, a witty comeback or an unintentionally funny line.

The action was also great in this film. It had the most believable military strategies of the three OT films.

ESB had a very motive driven plot and that's what ultimately did it for me.

ANH has the most sentimental value for me, but I liked ESB the best.

Huckleberry Josh
09-17-2001, 06:10 PM
TESB for sure . You can't get much better than that !

Jargo
09-18-2001, 05:04 PM
How could ESB have 80s influenced designs when it was made in 1979?

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't ESB released in 1980? Anyway what I was trying to say was that the designs look very eighties-ish. That quilted thing may have been good for the cold but still has a very eighties feel to it. Those colours on Bepin have the same shudder inducing feel as the colour schemes my Mother inflicted on our house in the early eighties - all pale pastels and neutal tones. Ghastly ghastly ghastly! There's just something about the look of ESB that I don't like. Despite the quality film that it is from the hands of an excellent director and fine actors (Billy Dee Williams aside) I just don't think I could ever say that it's my favourite. It's still ANH all the way for me.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2001, 05:52 PM
...fine actors (Billy Dee Williams aside)
Uh oh, Jargo. There're a few fans of this actor on this site that'll skin you alive for that comment! ;)
And, how dare you have your own opinion! Can't you tell that we are trying to get you to think our way? ESB is by far much better! People thinking for themselves? What's this world coming to? :p ;)

Jargo
09-19-2001, 06:07 AM
Oh dear, how dare I indeed. it just won't do to not toe the line will it?

I love ESB. there will that do? Billy Dee Williams is a fine actor. Will that do?

* I'm lying through my teeth here. think anyone noticed...? *:)

bigbarada
09-19-2001, 08:23 AM
You're right Jargo, Bespin did kind of have that pajama party look to it.

I love ANH the most!! Oh wait, is it supposed to be ESB? Then I love ESB the most!!!:D

JediTricks
09-20-2001, 05:56 AM
Folks, remember that Jargo lives in the UK, so perhaps ugly styles were just 5 years behind the times then. ;) Bespin feels like a late-70s post-neo-modern style, with all the curves and earth tones. It reminds a LITTLE TINY BIT of Logan's Run in that respect.

Jargo
09-20-2001, 06:46 AM
Spot on JT. Fashions here in the UK were late starters for most of us back then when hardly anyone had access to stimuli beyond imports such as Quincey and Fame. For years I watched as millions of legwarmer wearing kids paraded round horribly out of fashion. distressing isn't in it.........

I still think Lando should have been Latino...........

Rollo Tomassi
09-20-2001, 06:54 AM
I think it's funny that Jargo's mom would decorate their 'flat' in the harsh backlit blues and oranges from the Carbon Freeze chamber on Cloud Cit.....huh?...oh...

(never mind)

bigbarada
09-22-2001, 02:32 PM
Actually each movie did have it's own strengths and weaknesses.

ANH: Had the best overall story and was the most imaginative of the trilogy. Also the most rousing sense of adventure and coolest ending; but the infantile SP/FX technology and all the rubber alien faces make it the least eye-pleasing.

ESB: Best acting and dialogue, excellent FX sequences (Asteroid chase, Hoth Battle) and most jarring story developments. However the production design seemed a little lacking, for instance the cheap looking pre-SE Bespin sets and the dated costume designs.

ROTJ: Best production values by far, with the coolest looking new characters (Jabba and his thugs, Biker Scouts, Royal Guards, the Emperor, Mon Calamari) and ships (Sail Barge, skiff, Imperial Shuttle, TIE Interceptor, B-Wing, A-Wing, Speeder Bike) and perfected FX; but the story is lacking and the acting is routine. It seems GL's first movie outside of studio intervention has set a precedence for all future SW films.

GNT
09-22-2001, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
* I'm lying through my teeth here. think anyone noticed...? *:)

I don't think anyone noticed :rolleyes: move along,move along!

Obi-Don
09-23-2001, 06:20 AM
For me is was ANH that got me started.I have been hooked on Star Wars from that point.The others are good and I have my own likes and dislikes on all three,but ANH is the best.

Tatooine_Rebel
09-23-2001, 11:06 AM
But, I think I'll go with the Return of The Jedi. Here are my reasons why:

Well, first of all, the DEBUT of the Scout Troopers! Probably my favourite Imperial Troopers, the Scout Troopers make their EXPLOSIVE (hehe :rolleyes: ) Debut. Second, the AWESOME and very important Jabba's Place Scenes. These scenes, I believe, shape the all the characters significantly, including Lukes new Bad ***** Jedi Attitude. The scene where the emporer arrives in the Death Star II is just a real piece of eye candy ( All those Stormtroopers......:eek: ). While the final battle is a little weak (Ewoks and Rebels vs Empire) the DUEL between Vader and Luke (With the empire keeps his observant eyes on them) is fantastic, as Vader makes a great emotional change, and is freed of the Chains which hold him (The Dark Side) to his Hatred. Last but not least, the Final cellebration is very cool, no matter what anyone says, and the scene with Annikan, Yoda, and Obi Wan in spirit forms is just Priceless. Overall, I think this movie deserves the title of best Trilogy movie.

Well, that's all folks :D

bigbarada
09-23-2001, 12:22 PM
ROTJ was my favorite also, before I became a fanantical SW fan; but I kind of yearn for those simpler days when a well crafted story and good acting were secondary to cool eye candy. Now I tend to think things through too much and it kind of ruins the fun of it all.

I agree, Tatooine Rebel, about the monumental Vader moment. It was that instant when I became a Darth Vader fan for life. Before his turn he was just a 2D villian; but after he sacrificed himself to save his son he became a hero who just took one massive wrong turn somewhere.

Plus ROTJ had the coolest toys at the time!:D

Starfig873
09-23-2001, 08:06 PM
ROTJ. Great music, cool aliens and the fat one himself! Jabba the Hutt. Hes my favorite character throughout the trilogy. Plus I really like the SE ending...it was just so cool to see Coruscant for the first time.

ThomasLane
09-25-2001, 11:04 AM
For me, Ep. 4. Not because of great acting, effects, etc., but just because it is the first movie I ever truly loved, and I'll always remember sitting in the car at the drive-in, eyes glued to the screen.

bigbarada
09-26-2001, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Starfig873
ROTJ. Great music, cool aliens and the fat one himself! Jabba the Hutt. Hes my favorite character throughout the trilogy. Plus I really like the SE ending...it was just so cool to see Coruscant for the first time.

I thought the SE ending to ROTJ was awesome and much more moving than the original ending. I've heard people wonder why Coruscant was celebrating the Emperor's death. Of course, they're going to be celebrating, these people have been under the iron fist of the Empire most of their lives!

Actually, now that I remember, it was a Starlog reviewer who thought the citizens of Coruscant should be mad about Palpatine's death. Oh well, those Starlog guys are idiots anyway. (To put Star Wars as number 24 of the top sci-fi movies of all time was heresy!):mad:

GNT
09-27-2001, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada

I thought the SE ending to ROTJ was awesome and much more moving than the original ending

To put Star Wars as number 24 of the top sci-fi movies of all time was heresy!

24!!!!! What was all the Star Wars positions? I prefer the new SE ending cause we see Coruscant and that :)

bigbarada
09-27-2001, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by GNT
24!!!!! What was all the Star Wars positions? I prefer the new SE ending cause we see Coruscant and that :)

I don't think ROTJ or TPM even made the list, but I don't really remember I didn't buy the issue because once I saw how low they ranked ANH I became too angry to stuff those morons' pockets. Oh, I think ESB was actually rated higher than ANH.

El Chuxter
09-27-2001, 10:51 AM
If any doubt there was that Starlog is lame, dispelled it is, hmmm? :)

I used to hate the SE ending of ROTJ, but it grows on me every time I see it. I still like the original song, but the new ending is better.

Lobito
09-27-2001, 01:40 PM
If there was little chance for me to buy Starlog now its extinct...24?????? Brain dead...yep thats it!!:D

JediCole
09-27-2001, 02:02 PM
I'll have to side with Dante Hicks in the movie Clerks. The Empire Strikes Back is by far the best in the series. Star Wars was an experiment, an exercise in growth, Lucas finding the center of his universe. By Empire everything is established and we see the meat and potatoes of the struggle of the Rebellion. By Jedi, Lucas had gone mad. Like Dante says, it was nothing but a bunch of Muppets! Now with Episode I and the upcoming Episode II, all the muppets are CGI!

Son of a Sith
09-29-2001, 06:39 PM
Gotta say that I feel ESB is the best of the OT, but ANH will always be my favorite. I was 7 when it hit the screens and for me it was the business.

Bola
10-19-2001, 03:50 PM
The best one is ESB.

evenflow
10-20-2001, 12:25 PM
Return of the Jedi - It brings it all to a close. You understad the whole story at the point. The triumphant battle at the end between father and son. Defeat and redemption at the same time. Just amazing.

Grif
10-21-2001, 11:19 AM
I like ESB also. I don't know why but it just is the best and the most exciting.

Wooooof
10-21-2001, 02:21 PM
I have to go with Return of the Jedi. Coolest costume design, aliens and the best looking vehicles of the entire trilogy. Story?....uh....well....it was pretty good too.:p

I do believe that the Special Edition version of the ending is mucho cooler; but that extended Jabba's band scene is unabashed crapola!

Pendo
10-25-2001, 12:57 PM
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - NO COMPETITION!!!

PENDO!