PDA

View Full Version : My Gripes...(SPOILERS)

Lman316
05-19-2002, 04:06 PM
Well, I finally got to see AOTC on Friday. AWESOME movie is all I can say about that, but now I'm just a wee bit peeved with the toys. There are a lot of continuity errors here.
However, since AOTC only came out a few days ago, I don't want to give anything away to those who haven't seen it yet. So, if you haven't seen the movie, there are spoilers here.

First, the Count Dooku figure. I don't understand his accessories at all. There was no hologram of Sidious in that movie (maybe a cut scene?). And that green lightsaber had nothing to do with Dooku - Anakin got that from some other Jedi before the arena battle started.

Massiffs. Although I don't own any of these, I did see that they come with Geonosian handlers. Well, while I was watching the movie I saw Massiffs on Tatooine, not Geonosis. They were in the Tusken Raider camp fighting.

R2-D2 never let off any type of alarm in that movie - he didn't even catch the centipedes in the room until the Jedi came running in. I don't really know if the noises R2 makes are really to be considered alarms of any kind, but that was my impression.

Never saw R3-T7.

Anakin didn't have his own saber when he was fighting with Dooku, yet that toy gives it to him.

Dexter Jettster was never seen with any kitchen utensils, and adding electro-effects just seems silly.

Anakin never used a blaster in that movie and he didn't have his lightsaber out when he was in the peasant disguise.

I had already heard about it before I saw the movie, but there was no scene showing 3P0 getting panels. I believe it was cut.

The Royal Guards were barely visible in that movie and they sure didn't shock anyone with their staffs. I guess that there was a cut scene from ROTJ with them shocking someone, but the card says: Attack of the Clones. Not Return of the Jedi...

There were probably others that I wanted to mention, but I don't have the time to type them all out, and some I just can't remember. I probably will once I go to see it again :D , so I'll probably post some more after that, lol.
I don't want to sound like I'm angry with this (cause I'm not, it's just something that I noticed while watching the film and afterward), I'm just wondering why Hasbro decided to do all of that if it wasn't in the movie (was it an attempt to add a little more "play value" to the figures?). I know that in Episode 1, R2's rockets weren't used, but that was one figure out of the line. There are a whole bunch with this one.
Anyone have any "complaints" like this? Something that didn't add up with the movie?

Beast
05-19-2002, 04:29 PM
They start designing the figures at the same time the movie is being produced. And occassionally, ideas for the movie changed, well after changes could be made in the figures. Most of what you mention are examples of this:

Count Dooku- The Holo Sidious was either from a cut scene, or just included as a nice pack-in. As for the 2 sabers thing, Dooku was originally going to fight Yoda some with 2 lightsabers, it was dropped from the film before it came out. Footage and photographs of Dooku fighting nothing with 2 lightsabers have been seen.

Massiffs- They are native to both Geonosis and nearby Tatooine. The scenes involving the Massiff's attacks on Obi-Wan's R4-P17 droid were cut, since the droid was made hardwired into the ship.

R2-D2 did beep and whistle loudly as the Jedi's popped into the room. Of course it didn't sound exactly like the figure, as the figure was being made while the movie was in production, and the final sounds effects weren't completed.

R3-T7 was supposed to be somewhere in the background during the Corsurant Chase. That's the set that the droid was shown on, when photos of him surfaced. He's most likely a major background droid, and isn't easily spotted.

Anakin: HD - Not every kid is just going to use Hanger Duel Anakin to just fight Count Dooku, so they included his normal saber, so he could do other things that he did in the movie. Like fight Tusken Raiders and Geonosians.

Dexter Jettster does own the diner, and works in the kitchen as a cook. So they included a vibro cleaver and vibro knife for added play value. I am sure that he has some in the kitchen shot of him in the movie.

Anakin: OPD -The figure was based on the plan that there would be another assassination attempt on Padme while she and Anakin were on the transport. The idea of another assassination attempt was dropped, so the figure has become quasi EU.

C-3PO - Originally the plan was to have Padme give C-3PO coverings while Anakin was out looking for his Mom in the desert. This was changed to him already having them on in the movie, as Shmi had completed him years earlier.

Royal Guards - The electric effects were just for added play value. And the scene you are talking about from ROTJ isn't of them shocking someone, they raise their pikes at Vader when he's choking Moff Jerjerrod who won't let him in to see the Emporer.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jblodgett
05-19-2002, 05:51 PM
Remember when the toy line for Star Trek: Generations came out, and all the figures were in the WRONG UNIFORM?? If you bought those figures before you went to the movie you no doubt were wondering-- WTF??? Not to mention the fact that Kirk somehow became an Admiral in the toyline, but never in the movie.

This happens because the toy companies are given early shots of characters, uniforms, clothing, etc. They begin designing a figure a long time before the movie is actually shot. So what happens is you wind up with some inconsistencies. The only way to avoid this would be to have the movie, and then not release the toys for the movie until months later- which would be toy suicide.

Beast
05-19-2002, 05:54 PM
jblodgett, I'm sure that Kirk was referred to and adressed as an Admiral a few times in Star Trek: Generations. You may wanna pop the movie in and double check. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jblodgett
05-19-2002, 09:05 PM
Yes, he is mistakenly called Admiral by a couple of the reporters on the Enterprise-B, but his rank insignia on his uniforma is clearly that of a captain.

Beast
05-19-2002, 09:17 PM
Well, then it's his uniform that's in error, not the name of the figure or him being addressed as Admiral. Most likely the costume designer didn't catch the mistake, and neither did anyone else. But frankly, I wouldn't know an Admiral from a Captain in Star Trek by their insignia, if my life depended on it. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dak Powers
05-19-2002, 10:12 PM
Lman-- You complain easily, and it seems you haven't collected toys for a while. (I might be wrong on that) I've collected toys for a while now, and I've learned not to worry so much about pack-ins and accessories. Every toy line has them. Some examples: Say wrestling's your bag, and you get a Hulk Hogan (or somebody) figure and it comes with a folding chair. You go back and analyze every fight he's ever done, and you can say things like "He's never used a folding chair!" ... It's just a pack-in, dude. Play value for every toy, not just the one it comes with. Do you think that every person who plays with the toys is going to re-enact the movie scene by scene, line by line? Boring! Did you ever see Captain Piett, Wedge Antilles, or Admiral Motti with a blaster? No. Did you ever see Emperor Palpatine with a walking stick? No. What about Admiral Ackbar with a comlink wrist blaster? Nope. But I didn't complain, and I'm sure most others didn't either. Just accept what comes with it.

Beast
05-19-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Dak Powers
Did you ever see Emperor Palpatine with a walking stick? No.
Actually, you did. He had one when he first arrived on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi. But the rest of what you said is right on the money. Sorry, I know...I'm a complete Star Wars geek. :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dak Powers
05-19-2002, 10:19 PM
I had to put it in and watch it, but you're right, apologies for the mistake :)

Buffer72
05-19-2002, 11:01 PM
Kirk was most definitely a captain on Star Trek Generations-- he was NOT an admiral. After stealing the Enterprise in ST:III and his subsequent demotion, he lost any hope of ever being an admiral again.

Beast
05-19-2002, 11:16 PM
Buffer72, that was years before Star Trek Generations. Not to mention Kirk being a major part of saving the Federation and Klingon Allience in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. He was finally promoted. I can understand them making the mistake on his uniform. They would not have made the mistake of calling him Admiral several times in Generations. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Buffer72
05-20-2002, 12:00 AM
Think what you want, you said yourself you wouldn't know a captain from an admiral if your life depended on it. Kirk was a Captain in ST:VII. That is a fact.

Go back and watch the film sometime, listen to how Captain Harriman, who is taking over the Enterprise-B, calls him "Captain Kirk," not admiral. Even Scotty and Chekov refer to him "Captain," not admiral.

According to the official Star Trek website- www.startrek.com, Kirk ended his career (and his life) as a Captain:

http://www.startrek.com/library/individ.asp?ID=112496

http://www.startrek.com/library/movies/vii_main.asp

http://www.startrek.com/library/movies/vii_credits.asp

Hope this helps. Back to Star Wars.

CaptainSolo1138
05-20-2002, 01:44 AM
Though there are some pretty useless pack-ins, my biggest complaint is that some of the figures don't even stand on their own!! Geonosis Mace, Final Battle Fett, etc. And some of the figs have to be in awkward stances to have them stay up.

Dak Powers
05-20-2002, 07:35 AM
See, that is a complaint worthy of complaining. Complaining about a second blaster or something that came with Jango doesn't have enough grounds to complain.

lunchymeatball
05-20-2002, 07:52 AM
Just wondering if you have the action figure archive because there is a small picture of a cut scene of a Royal Guard spanking an imperial officer with his whacking stick

We could possibly be talking about the same thing:confused:

Lman316
05-20-2002, 09:16 AM
See, that is a complaint worthy of complaining. Complaining about a second blaster or something that came with Jango doesn't have enough grounds to complain.

First of all, I was NOT complaining - I had said that, I thought I made it perfectly clear. I said that there were some continuity errors there, it was just 'something I noticed'. That's why I put complaints in quotes because that's not what I really meant. It was for a lack of a better word and I was curious if anyone else noticed stuff like that in the movie. I didn't ask for you opinion whether or not I should "calm down, dude" or anything of the sort.
But, if I want to actually complain about those, I will. Who are you to tell me, Dak, that I can't complain about extra pack-ins? That it's not "worthy of a complaint". If I want to, I will, that's my choice. I purchase the figures, so that gives me the right to complain about whatever I want. But if you had actually read what I had written in the first place, you would have seen that I was just making observations and not really complaining.

So have a nice day :p .

pthfnder89
05-20-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by CaptainSolo1138
Though there are some pretty useless pack-ins, my biggest complaint is that some of the figures don't even stand on their own!! Geonosis Mace, Final Battle Fett, etc. And some of the figs have to be in awkward stances to have them stay up.

I don't have any problems getting FB Jango to stand, but your point is valid. Several of the figures have problems staying upright without being bent way back, or having their accessory placed "just so" to counter-balance them.

Part of the problem is of course, the odd stances and poses that the designers sculpt them in. Although now that I own them I don't think the battle poses are the cataclysmic end of Star Wars figures that most collectors believed early on.

But a big problem is how unreliable the plastic is. Usually when a figure has a problem standing up it's because the plastic cooled improperly and is malformed.(One leg is shorter than the other, etc) It seems like the problem has gotten a bit worse with the newer, softer plastic Hasbro uses for the Saga line.

gibbyhayes
05-20-2002, 04:28 PM
R3-T7 was a sneak preview figure, not a sneak REview. If I wait all this time, and then get a little glimpse, I'm gonna expect to f'ing see it in the movie. Furthermore, where's Nikto? I've seen AOTC twice and missed him both times.

Beast
05-20-2002, 04:46 PM
Shaak Ti was the original 4th preview figure, gibbyhayes. They decided to hold her back for the saga line, and tossed in a droid that is just a background charecter during the Corsurant Chase. If they wouldn't have put R3-T7 in the preview assortment, it's most likely you wouldn't have gotten him this year. I for one have no complaints, as I have wanted a clear domed astromech for ages. Here is a page from Hasbro's test Catalog, where it shows that Shaak Ti was to be a Preview Figure. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2002, 04:58 PM
My gripes . . .

*Boba Fett never uses pistols. He could have them, but the lollipop effects were unnecessary, even on the jetpack, because he never flies with it.
*The Tusken child is a CHILD, not a baby.
*R2-D2's third leg is not shown when he bleeps, and I know they used the same body from the power f/x one, but still . . .
*On the Geonosian Warrior - and Dexter, and Royal Guard, and Jar Jar, and just about every other damn figure - the electroshock effect is unnecessary. They could have other accessories besides these, and the blast, deflection, and shock effects get rather old.
*I don't remember Clone Troopers with cannons.
*Yoda gots a hole in his ***! The clear thing could have just as easily been connected to his feet-holes, and even then, the levitation effect is unnecessary.
*Jar Jar never posed like that, at least in that senate costume.
*Taun's clone chamber should at least have a CLONE, for god's sake.
*I know Dooku never fought with two sabers, and I know he was supposed to, but it would have been blue, wouldn't it? Look at the comic.
*Ki-Adi-Mundi (up-and-coming) never did that.

Oh yeah, and there are massiffs on Geonosis, in the arena. What do you think the Geonosians are riding on?

Dak Powers
05-20-2002, 05:52 PM
Jesus Christ, people, you are being way too freakin' obsessive about every little thing you see that wasn't in the movie.

*R2-D2's third leg is not shown when he bleeps, and I know they used the same body from the power f/x one, but still . . .

What the hell? I don't even know what to say about this. Can't you spend your time better doing something else? Before you gripe at me about griping at him, take into consideration how sad it is that one small leg makes a difference. I can say this about almost every one of his gripes. For the 14 billionth time, the figures are made WHILE THE MOVIE IS IN PRODUCTION. How is Hasbro supposed to know how the characters will pose before the specific scene is even filmed? Just answer that with a reasonable reply and I'll be happy.

Lman316
05-20-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
Oh yeah, and there are massiffs on Geonosis, in the arena. What do you think the Geonosians are riding on?

Actually, I think they're something else - they're bigger. I know that someone posted the name of those beasts here someplace, but I can't remember what they are.

Beast
05-20-2002, 06:57 PM
Indeed, those were Orrays, not Massiff's. Someone said they spotted a Massiff in the background during the arena scenes though, so it's possible they are there, but just not in a prominant roll. Here is the Orray from the Visual Dictionary.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
05-20-2002, 07:10 PM
The only real concern I have with the figures is that Taun We's clone chamber should've had a clone in it. That, and the fact that she's not scaled large enough.

wedgeA
05-20-2002, 07:28 PM
Overall, I am pleased with the figures, as someone said earlier, they are miles ahead of the first series POTF seven years ago.

I do have a gripe with (who's down with) OPD Anakin. I can accept the telescoping saber and extra pack-ins, but consider this:

1) It is the "first" figure from the AOTC/Saga line (numbered 1).
2) It is the most widely available Anakin figure, which means most kids will be playing with this one.

If that is the case, why put him in an outfit which only appears in a couple of scenes, none of them major. I think that figure should have been in the Padawan tunic and cloak, I think that should have made more sense. OPD should have been a later resculpt. I don't think that the figure is ugly, just inappropriate. For example, the vintage line never released Luke in stormtrooper or x-wing gear in the initial line The initial wide release line should feature characters in their "standard" wardrobe to ensure maximum playability for kids. Even though these figures are done while the movie is in pre production, I think it was pretty obvious that Anakin was not going to spend the majority of the film in this outfit.