PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom Menace refers to...

Eternal Padawan
05-20-2002, 11:26 AM
...not Sidious as has been supected for these many months.

The titular character of Episode I is QUI GON JINN. look at all the trouble he causes.

When they first get to the TF ship Obi Wan syas "Master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future." Qui Gon says "But not at the expense of the moment." Well, if the Jedi had been more mindful of the future they would have seen the Purge coming. Especially pivotal player Obi Wan. Strike one, Jinn.

He saves Jar Jar's life. Not a bad thing of itself, but then he takes him with them, starting a chain of events that turns Jar Jar into a general, a war hero and eventually, a Galactic Representative who ends up giving Palpatine his power with the Emergency Powers thing. Strike two, Jinn.

Ends up taking Amidala to Coruscant where she promptly calls for a vote of no confidence in Valorum, and puts Palpatine in power. Strike Three , Jinn.

And we won't even go into the whole "I'm going to train Anakin against the wishes of the council so he can grow up to be Darth Vader and wipe us all out" thing.

Or the fact that he can't finagle Shmi's release also. So she stays on Tatooine, dies, and starts Ani down the path to the dark side.

Yesiree, Qui Gon is a total menace. And no one suspects a thing. The Phantom Menace ladies and gentlemen...

Pendo
05-20-2002, 11:31 AM
Interesting Eternal Padawan...

PENDO!

derek
05-22-2002, 09:20 PM
good theory, but i disagree. qui-gon's motives were honest and an attempt to fulfill the prophecy. while qui-gon may appear to be the menace, i think lucas is intending to refer to palpatine pulling strings behind the scenes, and in your arguement for ginn being the menace, proves it actually is palpatine.:)

if jar jar, amidalia, or anakin were not there, palpatine would of found someone else to use in his schemes to gain power.

TeeEye7
05-23-2002, 06:57 AM
....I always thought it refered to Rick Mc Callum....

icatch9
05-23-2002, 09:33 AM
He is not the menace. Always two there are no more no less. He is doing what he feels is right. Remember the dark side clouds everything. During TPM they didn't realize the dark side had returned. So, Qui Gon was doing what he believed to be the best. If Yoda couldn't see Ani future nor could Qui Gon. All they had to go on was the proficy and the midi count. Plus, I am sure they could since something from Ani I mean becomeing something great. Great evil is still great.

It is a chain of events that souranded Qui Gon but he was never in control of. Sidous/ Papatine is the one in control of the events and Qui Gon cannot stope or even realize them.

Eternal Padawan
05-23-2002, 10:14 AM
Ach. It was meant as a joke, people. Calm down.

JetsAndHeels
05-23-2002, 09:00 PM
I will play on this one, Eternal Padawan.
Sio Bibble is the Phantom Menace. He was critical from the start. Remember when Obi Wan and Qui Gon arrived on Naboo, and Bibble said "Your negotiations seemed to have failed." He didnt bother to say thanks for them saving them or anything. He just starts out with his complaining.
And of course he whines again in AOTC, talking about Nute Gunray is still the Viceroy, etc.
SHUT UP BIBBLE!! NO ONE LIKES YOU!! YOUR CHARACTER IS WORTHLESS!!
Ok I am done playing now....

master jedi
05-26-2002, 11:19 AM
I thought the phantom menace refered to the dark side and the mystery of the sith.

Darth Nihilus
05-26-2002, 12:40 PM
The Phantom Menace refers to the fact that everyone thinks that the Trade Federation is the threat they must deal with, when we know it is Palpatine who is the real menace. This was just a response to the last post, not to EP's initial post.

snakeeyes
05-29-2002, 02:36 PM
nope, r2d2 is the menace. he saves everyone on the ship as they leave naboo which causes amidala to go to the senate and vote out valorum and give the title to palpatine.
then he saves anakin by turning off the auto pilot on the naboo fighter ship.

darthvyn
06-02-2002, 02:37 PM
i think sebulba is the phantom menace... he did really snicker after he broke that thing off anakin's pod engine...

darthvyn
06-02-2002, 02:38 PM
either that, or it's batman... yeah, that's it...

chris
06-03-2002, 01:52 PM
let's just say Palpatine and his plans is the Phantom Menace and leave it at that.

billfremore
06-03-2002, 02:00 PM
I dunno, I think Darthvyn's right...

...I think it's Batman! ;)

darthvyn
06-04-2002, 04:20 PM
actually, i change my mind, the phantom menace is...

KIT FISTO'S GRIN!!!

scruffziller
06-12-2002, 10:24 PM
The one line in the movie that tells it all, Obi Wan says "it's not about the mission master, it's elsewhere, ELUSIVE." He was obviously sensing Palpy and the dark side at work, which was hiding like a ghost-PHANTOM and probably stuck in the back of his head like a thorn-MENACE. Because everything that went down was all a mystery and unexpected, to everyone fighting for the good side.