PDA

View Full Version : Rubies EP II Lightsabers?

Mace Windex
05-20-2002, 12:28 PM
ANyone know if Rubies is planning on selling EP II lightsabers? Their sabers are especially cool. My favorite saber to date is the version II Rubies Obi-wan saber. It has the look and feel of an actual saber. The proportions seem to be 100% accurate. Look at the detail! Also, the second versions feature a locking rin to keep the saber blade inside the handle. I was able to find both versions of Obi-wan's and Darth Maul's but was never able to find the second version of qui gon's saber. ANyone have an extra?
BTW, when I last searched Rubies there was no mention of the sabers.

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 01:10 PM
I have no clue as to what Rubies is, but since Master Replicas is doing all the "authentic" props now, I wouldn't imagine that any other company could get a license to make stuff like that.

Mace Windex
05-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Rubies is the costume company that produces a lot of Star Wars stuff. For Episode one they made Darth maul, QUi-gon and Obiwan costumes and lightsabers. They also did Jar Jar, Queen Amidala, etc. This company also sells various Star Wars Masks. The sabers are cool if you haven't yet seen them. The second versions are as true to life that a plastic saber can get. They had locking blades so you could hang the saber on a belt and they do light up (no sounds). Best yeat they cost less than $10 new! Beats $200 for a replica handle!

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 01:58 PM
Ah...maybe they could still do 'em then, but they just have no plans as of yet. The kind of person who would pay $200 for a MR lightsabre isn't the same type of person who would be content with a $10 plastic version so I guess there wouldn't be a problem if they were both producing sabres :)

Mace Windex
05-20-2002, 02:17 PM
Trust me, I am a huge fan and would shell out the $200 plus if I had it to spare for a "real" metal saber. The thing is that the 2nd edition Rubies were as real as you could get in plastic NO MATTER what the cost. They are scaled perfect (Obi-wan) and look great.

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 02:46 PM
I'm not knocking you for buying a $10 plastic replica. I'm just saying that the target customer for Master Replicas is different than the target customer for Rubies, therefore they could both be allowed to produce AOTC sabres with no problems, since they really aren't making comparable products. A $200 metal sabre is not the same as a $10 plastic sabre, and vice versa.

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 02:48 PM
Or, even if you forget about cost for a minute, or you say that the Rubies sabre is a super badass highly detailed as good as you can get in plastic version, it's still not "movie-authentic" as it isn't metal, and I think movie-authentic is the main appeal of Master Replicas. So like I said, different markets, different target customers.

Mace Windex
05-20-2002, 03:04 PM
Yeah, you are correct. But for those on a budget (like me) we really have limited choices, don't we?

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 03:24 PM
Yes, we do. For example, I really, really, really want the Lego Tantive IV, but not for $200.00 :D

Anyway, maybe Rubies is a little skittish about making a lot of AOTC merchandise after the TPM merchandising fiasco....so many stores are still trying to get rid of stuff. No idea if Rubies had similar problems.

pthfnder89
05-20-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
Yes, we do. For example, I really, really, really want the Lego Tantive IV, but not for $200.00 :D

Anyway, maybe Rubies is a little skittish about making a lot of AOTC merchandise after the TPM merchandising fiasco....so many stores are still trying to get rid of stuff. No idea if Rubies had similar problems.

I think maybe Rubies wasn't approved for a license for AOTC this year. Lucasfilm scaled way back on the merchandising since TPM so they may have opted out of costumes.

I know exactly what you are talking about Mace Windex. I have both the Rubies Obi Wan and the Darth Maul, each with the lockable handles, and they really are very nice.

Forhekset - Rubies primarily produced costumes for TPM and the sold their lightsabers seperately. I think it's kind of funny, because by classifying it as part of a halloween costume, they weren't technically infringinf on the toy license that Hasbro paid so dearly for. So they were both marketing different versions of the same product.:)

The Rubis lightsabers were, as Windex said, MUCH more accurate than the Hasbro sabers. They had lights, but no sound, however the blades retracted ALL the way into the hilt; they didn't leave a part sticking out like Hasbros. They were made of a bit thinner and cheaper plastic (especially the blade) but overall I think they are far superior the ones by Hasbro.

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 04:29 PM
Yeah...it's kind of like how Lucasfilm didn't do any fast-food chain tie-ins this year. I kind of missed that from TPM. It was cool collecting all those cups and toppers. Too bad I missed out on the Rubies sabres, they sound sort of cool, and you can't really go wrong for $10.

Mace Windex
05-20-2002, 07:35 PM
The only negative thing about the Rubies version II saber is the thin plastic blade. However, with a hilt that narrow you have to make the blade thin. I wanted to find another one to make a "real" blade to fight with. Any of you built your own sabers? I've been thinking about it.

CooLJoE
05-20-2002, 09:18 PM
And what might Rubies website be?

Paul-Kenobi
05-20-2002, 09:34 PM
don't go to the Rubies website it Sucks

i have the Qui-Gon saber i had the obi-wan saber but it broke and the blade on mine dose not lock down.

as for the Episode II sabers and Costumes there comeing out in Juily i'm gona Buy the Deluxe Anakin costume its the closet thing if you don't wanna spend 500$ for a full costume you can get thats OK/Good.

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by CooLJoE
And what might Rubies website be?

http://www.rubies.com/

JediTricks
05-21-2002, 02:49 AM
The Euro versions of the Rubies sabers for Ep 1 (the ones with the twist collar and without the battery hatch screw) are very nice, and I believe Rubies does have the Ep 2 license and will be doing kiddie costumes for the film this Halloween, but I have no idea if they're doing more lightsabers in the vein of the Ep 1 Euro ones. I hope so though.

BTW, the Obi-Wan one does indeed have one error, it has 4 silver "columns" instead of 3 just below the collar around the black rings. It's still an incredibly accurate prop replica though, I wanted to use it as the direct basis for a metal copy (the project didn't make it though).

Mace Windex
05-21-2002, 08:40 AM
Paul,

you have the early Rubies saber without the locking blade. It is VERY hard to find the later ones. I never did see a QUi-Gon saber with the locking blade.

Taichi
05-21-2002, 10:40 AM
Yo, Rubies also did a Mace Windu saber!!!

it's my favrit!!!!

DarthMaulSithLord
05-21-2002, 12:03 PM
I have Maul and Obi-Wan's saber from Rubies and they are way cool! Maul's saber is much bigger than that lousy thing Hasbro chucked down our throats. Only thing i am missing is Qui-Gon's. I did get Hasbro's, but i'd rather get that Rubies saber since those can actually retract all the way.

Does anyone have an extra carded Rubies Qui-Gon saber?

:)

pthfnder89
05-21-2002, 03:17 PM
It's funny. I actually got the original Obi Wan Rubies at Star Tours when I was at Disneyland, as the originals were the only ones they had on the shelves. But the light on mine didn't work so I went back and they asked me if I wanted one of the opened ones behind the counter that they had already put batteriesd in. I said sure, and they one they gave me was somehow the SECONFD version, with the locking mechanism and the thinner, more accurate top! :D I was extremely happy flipping that thing around in line for the Indiana Jones ride :D:D

JediTricks
05-21-2002, 09:37 PM
I got all 3 of my Euro-style sabers from Disneyland's Star Trader store (1 QGJ, open; 2 OBK, 1 open, 1 sealed) as well!

I never saw or heard of a Rubies Mace Windu saber before, you sure about this Taichi? What style was it?

Mace Windex
05-22-2002, 08:32 AM
I may have an carded early version of the Qui-gon saber somewhere since I usually buy two of each. However, they can still be bought online for about $12. Do a search.

Croaker
05-22-2002, 08:59 AM
Rubies does have the licence for Episode II.
I have seen - not the individual sabres- bu tthe ones packed witha a costume.
There's a cheezy mask, a cloth body piece and weapon.
The Obi wan pack has the same lightsaber, so far as I could tell.
The anakin one is new.
Jango comes with a gun (and not a lightsabre of course!)

They didn't seem to be the locking ones.

I have Obi wan, Darth Maul (locking) and Qui Gon from the Ep 1 sabres that they did.
I have seen these new sets in England but they are waaaayyy to expensive at 17 a piece.
Hell the hasbro basic are 10, while the figs are only 5.99

JEDIpartner
05-22-2002, 11:18 AM
I have the Obi-Wan and Maul sabres with the locking collars and think they are among the best "low-cost" costume replicas made. Rubies did a great job with those. I'll have to check out their site just out of curiosity's sake.

DarthMaulSithLord
05-22-2002, 11:59 AM
Both of mine are the "locking version". Did find a Qui-Gon saber online, but the damn stores don't ship overseas. Barbarians!

:(

Jmacq
05-23-2002, 06:22 PM
I seem to recall hearing that Rubies would indeed be putting out Episode II costumes later this year (like around Halloween, of course). And yes, they will supposedly be producing lightsabers, as well, but as was mentioned previously, thus far I've only heard that the lightsabers will be available as part of the costume 'sets'. To make matters worse, thus far Rubies is the -only- company making a Mace Windu saber, and sadly, it's only available with the 'deluxe Mace Windu costume'.

Mace Windex
05-23-2002, 07:08 PM
Anyone have a connection to purchase the Episode II Rubies sabers yet? I've done some searching on the web and have not seen anything but just the costumes.
Mace needs his saber!

DarthMaulSithLord
05-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Anybody here know where i can get the "locking" Rubies Qui-Gon saber? I'll gladly pay $$$'s for it.

:)

Mace Windex
05-23-2002, 07:27 PM
You AND me both!!! I hunted and hunted and NEVER found a locking Qui-Gon saber!

DarthMaulSithLord
05-23-2002, 07:35 PM
The **** is that i saw that thing over here 2.5 years ago for $10-15, but i coulden't get it since i just spend my last dough on some Star Wars figs. How typical.

:(

JCliff
05-23-2002, 09:08 PM
Halloweenplus.com has the new rubies stuff.

Mace Windex
05-23-2002, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up! After about 100 pages of stuff I finally found all the cool episode II goodies! Listen up everyone, GO THERE NOW! I fired off an e-mail asking about availability and will post here when I hear from them. I asked about the following sabers: Anakin, Mace, Dooku, Vader, and a locking QUi-Gon. We shall see! Anyway, here is the url for the Mace Windu saber. COOOOOOOL!
http://www.graveyardproductions.com/images/products/RC5056_big.gif

Mace Windex
05-23-2002, 11:44 PM
Almost forgot. Check out this url for a generic Jedi kit. Looks like it may contain a locking Qui-Gon saber!!

http://www.graveyardproductions.com/images/products/RC5163_big.gif

Mace Windex
05-26-2002, 10:35 PM
Well gang, the e-mail came back undeliverable. Hmm, guess I will have to try and call them. Hope you checked out the links for the sabers because they are cool! Dooku's isn't curved all the way though because the blade wouldn't be able to retract into the handle.

Mace Windex
05-27-2002, 03:39 PM
I went to my local Party store today and found the first of the new AOTC merchandise. They had the Anakin light saber, Jango blaster and the quickie Anakin and Jango mask kits. I bought the Anakin saber for $7.99. It is NOT as nice as the Episode ONe sabers but still looks pretty good. The blade does not have a lock ring so it will fall out :~( If only the hilt was a little more slender like the second generation Obi-Wan saber. Head out to your stores!
Jango's blaster looked pretty nice and makes firing noises. Now I will wait till I see the other stuff.

Mace Windex
05-31-2002, 12:23 AM
Quality update!
This new saber is very inferior to the other Rubies sabers. Not only is it missing the locking ring but the blade is so thin that just swinging it hard makes it fall apart! I ended up returning it for another. This one hold up better.
On a side note, go get your General Mills cereal lightsaber pens! They are cool!
First one I received was Mace's!