PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't there been anymore EU figures?



A'Sharad Hett
05-20-2002, 01:34 PM
I was wondering why there was only one collection of expanded universe figures. They are some of my favorites, Mara Jade, Kyle Katarn, Clone Emperor, etc. Think of all the figures we could have, Aaura Sing w/ a lightsaber, the Hetts, Exar Kun, Corran Horn, and thats just the tip of the iceberg. Any thoughts?

DarthSetnom
05-20-2002, 01:40 PM
Well we actually have Aurra Sing, you can give her Adi Gallia's lightsaber and she looks quite nice...but I always wanted to see Exar Kun... maybe Hasbro should give us some EU figures but i think this is highly unlikely to happen given the fact that thei attention will turn to massive production of new versions of Mace Windu, Anakin, Dooku, etc.

browndroid
05-20-2002, 01:46 PM
i agree, i love those figures. i would love to see more

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 02:02 PM
I wish they'd do more characters from the Dark Forces series of games, and redo a couple existing ones (Dark Trooper, Kyle Katarn). I was hoping with the release of Jedi Knight II (and its tremendous success) that we might see a few figs, but I guess they just wouldn't sell well enough....

DarthSetnom
05-20-2002, 02:13 PM
See I'm not so sure about the new versions... I'd rather see new figures than resculpts no matter how cool they might be.

But i guess those two could use a facial lift and some articulation.

Lord Tenebrous
05-20-2002, 02:39 PM
Hasbro seems to be focusing on the largest possible demographic - those who have seen the movies. And, along those lines, EU movie characters - like Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Darth Maul...and the horrible Aurra Sing figure


The future for EU figures is probably not going to be promising until a few years after Episode III. Until then, you might be lucky for some Internet/Fan Club exclusives. That's the only way I can see Hasbro balancing demand and d'mnation.

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by DarthSetnom
See I'm not so sure about the new versions... I'd rather see new figures than resculpts no matter how cool they might be.

But i guess those two could use a facial lift and some articulation.

The thing is, for me, I don't get into EU aside from what I know from the Dark Forces series, and that comes from playing the games. So that's why I'm keen on new versions of those two. Mainly to get Kyle in a different outfit maybe, plus with the detail and accuracy that we saw in the POTJ line. And for the Dark Trooper, cuz I'd love one with mega-articulation (from Hasbro? nah...). Plus I never got a chance to get a Dark Trooper when they first came out and there's no way I'm paying $30 on eBay for one.

I think you're right though Lord Tenebrous. We'd probably be extremely lucky to get an internet/FC exclusive, and I bet that won't happen anyway til after Episode III. I'm not too optimistic.

JEDIpartner
05-20-2002, 03:20 PM
Technically the SnObi-Wan, Training & Deluxe Mauls, Training Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were all EU figures. It looks as though we are going to get Ralph McQuarrie's concept version of the Stromtrooper as a figure soon, so that is also EU... from a certain point of view.

jblodgett
05-20-2002, 03:23 PM
Wouldn't the Luke (coruscant guard), Chewy "snoova" (or whatever he was called), Xixor, and Dash Rendar technically be EU as well?

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Technically the SnObi-Wan, Training & Deluxe Mauls, Training Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were all EU figures. It looks as though we are going to get Ralph McQuarrie's concept version of the Stromtrooper as a figure soon, so that is also EU... from a certain point of view.

True, but the concept Stormy is a "fan choice", and those other guys are all characters that were in a movie originally. There's probably a really bad chance of characters who only appear in games, novels, and comics getting made anytime soon, unless the "fan choice" thing proves to be a savior of sorts. Maybe there could be 1 or 2 EU characters in every fan choice poll...or maybe it's already like that? I don't remember the last 3 polls very well.

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by jblodgett
Wouldn't the Luke (coruscant guard), Chewy "snoova" (or whatever he was called), Xixor, and Dash Rendar technically be EU as well?

Those are EU, yeah, but Lucasfilm really thought SOTE was going to be a major event, thus it warranted its own line of figures, a PC/N64 game, a soundtrack (which they originally asked John Williams to do, but he turned it down), etc. For EU characters that aren't involved in a major project like SOTE and don't appear in a movie, I think the chances for them to get made are pretty slim, unless the fan choice thing includes EU characters every time (and they actually win, and get made).

pthfnder89
05-20-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset


Those are EU, yeah, but Lucasfilm really thought SOTE was going to be a major event, thus it warranted its own line of figures, a PC/N64 game, a soundtrack (which they originally asked John Williams to do, but he turned it down), etc. For EU characters that aren't involved in a major project like SOTE and don't appear in a movie, I think the chances for them to get made are pretty slim, unless the fan choice thing includes EU characters every time (and they actually win, and get made).

I would also LOVE new Dark Forces figures Forhekset.(I like your DF Stormy avatar BTW:)) The original Kyle Katarn was wonderful(aside from his odd hair :confused: ) and his weapons were perfectly accurate! It was great to see that kind attention to detail from Kenner.

I would also love to see a couple more Thrawn Trilogy figures, as the original Heir to the Empire Trilogy is the only EU I think worthy of the movies. A Noghri figure and a Talon Karrde figure in particular; although I don't think I would wind up buying them because all the previous Thrawn figures they made were based on the totally screwed up comic adaptation, in which the Jawa-sized Noghri were EIGHT friggin feet tall, and Karrde was just completely wrong.:rolleyes:

IcebergSlim
05-20-2002, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't be upset if they never made EU figures again....

Forhekset
05-20-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89


I would also LOVE new Dark Forces figures Forhekset.(I like your DF Stormy avatar BTW:)) The original Kyle Katarn was wonderful(aside from his odd hair :confused: ) and his weapons were perfectly accurate! It was great to see that kind attention to detail from Kenner.

I would also love to see a couple more Thrawn Trilogy figures, as the original Heir to the Empire Trilogy is the only EU I think worthy of the movies. A Noghri figure and a Talon Karrde figure in particular; although I don't think I would wind up buying them because all the previous Thrawn figures they made were based on the totally screwed up comic adaptation, in which the Jawa-sized Noghri were EIGHT friggin feet tall, and Karrde was just completely wrong.:rolleyes:

Glad you like the avatar :) The "Hey! You there!" thing is an inside joke over at the Jediknightii.net forums btw.

I would also like to see a Noghri figure....