PDA

View Full Version : Geonosis and Alderaan

Bosskman
05-20-2002, 07:50 PM
I remember back before the prequels were even supposed to come out reading this book about the worlds in the SW universe. It was sorta like the Art of SW books, and a lot of the pics inside it were the same. There was a lot of Ralph McQuarrie type stuff in it. Coruscant was in this book and it's clear that AOTC's depiction of the city planet were heavily influenced by it. Theaiwas were in it as well, only on Bespin, and Alderaan, and that abandoned sector of Coruscant was eerily similar to the books depiction of an abandoned mining colony on Bespin.

There were parts of the Alderaan section, though, that I think is supercool. In the book, it said that Alderaan was inhabited, thousands of years before the events of the OT, by sentinent, insect-like aliens who built extensive tunnels and termite mound-like cities. I always thought this was sorta cool. Years went by, TPM came out with its Battle Droids (which I also though were cool) and I had forgotten completely about that part of the book. Untill I heard the descriptions of the Geonosians. It's obvious that these BD building bugs were inspired by those Alderaan aliens. I love how AOTC, has taken concepts weeded out of the OT and put them to film. Geonosis is probably my favorite planet now, and part of that reason is that it bridges so many gaps in between TPM (the Battle droids and drodekas which are made there) the OT (the DS plans, the start of the clone wars), concepts from the OT (the Geonosians ARE those aliens and so are the cities they make), and even EU. That cliffside hanger was eerily reminiscent of one of the levels in the old N64 SOTE game. Geonosis IS SW! I love that planet. I can't forget about the besties either.

RooJay
05-20-2002, 10:25 PM
The book you refer to is titled "the Illustrated Star Wars Universe", and it is VERY cool! One of my favorites in fact! I hope they release a second volume with updated information and chapters on Geonosis and Kamino.
I believe the "abandoned sector" of Coruscant you're thinking of (you're referring to the section of the speeder chase that featured the "power couplings" and flame spouting pipes I assume) is actually some kind of refinery or power plant.;)
Wow, I hadn't thought of Alderaan's supposed original insectoid inhabitants as the influence for the Geonosians. It really fits! Especially when you figure in the look of the Geonosian architecture compared to the similar ruins in those designs for Alderaan. I wonder if Lucas will find it necessary to redesign Alderaan to exclude that influence if he decides to show us the planet in Ep. 3? Maybe he'll just leave it to infer that the Geonosians are descended from the original natives of Alderaan.

Jedi Clint
05-20-2002, 11:21 PM
Actually RooJay, I think Bosskman was referring to the area where Dooku and Palpatine meet at the end.

RooJay
05-20-2002, 11:54 PM
Ah, I see. Carry on then!

Bosskman
05-21-2002, 07:50 AM
I don't know what Alderaan will look like in EIII, but its plains, they gave to Naboo, and it's crevices, canyons and giant termite mounds, they gave to Geonosis. I hope it's still the same as the book though. Or they might just show the ultra-modern city of Aldera. I don't know, but it should at least look similar.

pthfnder89
05-21-2002, 03:13 PM
Yeah I would very much appreciate it if they make Alderaan a bit different from Naboo, although they are both peaceful, paradisical planets.

Most of the differences should be in the buildings. The Ralph McQuarrie illustration of Alderaan have such beautiful 70's scifi metal buildings with long graceful lines and great looking windows. It looks very modern, as opposed to Naboo with similarly beautiful, but much older stone buildings and paintings.

Jargo
05-23-2002, 06:50 AM
The design of the Alderaanian city was used to depict Bespins towers and buildings instead. I think we'll see something completely new if we see it at all. The Shaaks were originally an Alderaan design too. So much has been drawn from the designs done by McQuarrie for Alderaan that there's little left to actually use that hasn't been utilised already. I guess they could make Alderaan a place of great glass structures like crysaline cathedrals and spires. very fairytale with valleys and rivers and that Germanic feel to it all. The sort of place that we've all seen in every fairytale but with the technological twist of Sci-Fi.
they could make the city on a beach front with seas and sailing vessels. Give it a nautical twist. Yeah big glass city growing out of the sea and the beach and stretching backwards inland towards a huge mountain range with more glass structures glittering all over the place into the far distance. like a jewel of a planet come alive. And deer like creatures everywhere and birds freewheeling in the skies along with sleek white airspeeders and Aiwhas. tranquil and quiet. Then there's the sail boats on the sea and fishermen in smaller boats and tradeers with beautiful wares and the artists and musicians just wandering around. Like a sort of dream. A utopia. Prettier than Naboo. Less rigid. Sort of like the cities grow organically along with the life of the planet itself. Harmonious and singing with the purest notes of existence like the sound of wind in a bottle as a breeze wafts through the glass spires it makes music. The sound of tinkling chimes is everywhere as the air moves the glass.

Does that sound daft? I have a real soft spot for Alderaan and I don't want to see it stuffed up. It's a magical realm to me since my childhodd when i first saw the planet destroyed. It shocked me and I wondered who the Alderaanians were that got the Empire so mad. The artwork of McQuarrie made me long to visit Alderaan and I've dreamed of various looks for the place but the city of light and glass and music has been the most enduring vision. I want to go live somewhere like that. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-23-2002, 11:49 AM
So, will Alderaan by in EP3? Lucas could make it so Organa gets Leia on another planet like Naboo or Coruscant and then goes off to Alderaan off screen. I hope that he will put it in. Who doesn't want to see it before it gets blown up?

Another cool thing that could go along with seeing the planet is showing a young Tarkin maybe threatening Organa that he better watch it or else...

RooJay
05-23-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
The design of the Alderaanian city was used to depict Bespins towers and buildings instead. I think we'll see something completely new if we see it at all. The Shaaks were originally an Alderaan design too. So much has been drawn from the designs done by McQuarrie for Alderaan that there's little left to actually use that hasn't been utilised already. I guess they could make Alderaan a place of great glass structures like crysaline cathedrals and spires. very fairytale with valleys and rivers and that Germanic feel to it all. The sort of place that we've all seen in every fairytale but with the technological twist of Sci-Fi.
they could make the city on a beach front with seas and sailing vessels. Give it a nautical twist. Yeah big glass city growing out of the sea and the beach and stretching backwards inland towards a huge mountain range with more glass structures glittering all over the place into the far distance. like a jewel of a planet come alive. And deer like creatures everywhere and birds freewheeling in the skies along with sleek white airspeeders and Aiwhas. tranquil and quiet. Then there's the sail boats on the sea and fishermen in smaller boats and tradeers with beautiful wares and the artists and musicians just wandering around. Like a sort of dream. A utopia. Prettier than Naboo. Less rigid. Sort of like the cities grow organically along with the life of the planet itself. Harmonious and singing with the purest notes of existence like the sound of wind in a bottle as a breeze wafts through the glass spires it makes music. The sound of tinkling chimes is everywhere as the air moves the glass.

Does that sound daft? I have a real soft spot for Alderaan and I don't want to see it stuffed up. It's a magical realm to me since my childhodd when i first saw the planet destroyed. It shocked me and I wondered who the Alderaanians were that got the Empire so mad. The artwork of McQuarrie made me long to visit Alderaan and I've dreamed of various looks for the place but the city of light and glass and music has been the most enduring vision. I want to go live somewhere like that. :)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! That sounds wonderful! And could there be fairies flitting about the air?!
Just kidding! ;)
It does sound cool though. I remember hearing a rumor that Lucas had wanted to do a crystaline world for Ep. 2. Maybe there was some truth to that rumor and we'll be seeing your sparkling glass cities version of Alderann in the next movie.

Jargo
05-24-2002, 08:49 AM
There's always fairies in star wars, you just have to think obtusely to find them ;)

I wasn't really thinking anything like the fairytale world of the neverending story. I was thinking more along the lines of the designs that were being churned out in the seventies. When we started to get away from the hard industrial look or the flash gordon look of sci-fi. The space 1999 look is more what I was thinking but done with a budget. I seem to recall seeing crystaline worlds and similar notions of cities of music and light and glass structures in s99 and I was going for a more transcendental quality, sort of tantric rather than princess and the pea territory.
But yes, it would be really cool to see something that wasn't already done. Much like the brilliance of the Geonosis location. The arena blows me away but the interiors of Geonosis are just brilliant. Geonosis totally engages me creatively like the OT environments did. For the prequels to lure me in there has to be more cool environments. Coruscant is doing a pretty good job right now but Naboo leaves me cold. A new planet environment like Alderaan would get the daydream juices flowing again I think. :)

Bosskman
05-24-2002, 01:32 PM
Naboo looks alright but it's probably my least favorite SW planet. I hate it's name though. I wish it had been called something else. Naboo is the stupidest sounding name for a planet ever.