PDA

View Full Version : Sidious idenity revealed in Ep. III?

Megs 2
05-21-2002, 09:00 AM
Will D. Sidious' idenity be revealed in Ep. III? Or will he always be in the shadows. Even when Palpatine takes power & declares himself Emperor? We all know who Sidious is, but will Lucas reveal this in the movie? What do u think? Thanks.

Eternal Padawan
05-21-2002, 10:04 AM
Is there any doubt anywhere that Sidious and Palpatine are the same guy? I think someone (Obi-Wan or Padme) will go to confront Palpatine about becoming to powerful and he will gleefully reveal that he is Sidious and everything that has happened in Episodes I and II has happened because of his manipulations.

El Chuxter
05-22-2002, 03:30 PM
If GL keeps with the parallel structure, we'll definitely find out. Look at the trilogies individually:

Part I (ANH & TPM): Palpatine does nothing that obviously affects the Skywalkers personally. His machinations to take over the galaxy are mentioned only in passing.

Part II (ESB & AOTC): Palpatine begins to take a more active role. In ESB, he appears for the first time (as a monkey!) to play a part in Luke's future. And in AOTC, he manipulates the Jedi Council to put Anakin where he wants him, not to mention saying things like, "You don't need guidance. I see you becoming the most powerful Jedi of all."

In ROTJ, Palpatine appears as a major character and kicks tail. I suspect we'll see some Force lightning coming out of the ol' chap's fingers in E3. I also think we'll have some lines similar to, "Kill Tyranus and take his place by my side!"

Darth Mendigo
05-22-2002, 04:06 PM
I do not believe anyone (other than Anakin/Vader, Obi wan and Yoda) that will know of Palpatine's true identity in Ep III will survive Ep III. In my opinion, only Obi-wan, Vader, and Yoda know of Palpatine's true identity up until ANH. By ESB, Luke knows and then the rest of the Rebellion movement, which probably is dismissed by the Imperial Bureaucrats as propaganda.

Eternal Padawan
05-22-2002, 08:14 PM
D. Mandingo, The rest of the galaxy might not find out, but to the audience WATCHING the film, all will be revealed. That was my point.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2002, 08:33 PM
I think that the Jedi are weak! All they have to do is look into the future, and they'll hear the name "Emperor Palpatine." Then they'll know what the Chancellor has in mind. And Sidious looks a LOT like the Emperor. It makes it all so easy! And he has the plans to the Death Star, too.

SUPER-SPOLIER ALERT!!!

I hear that Jar Jar accidentally finds Palpatine's underwear and his initials say "DS" not "CP." :eek: :p Or Anakin calls Palpatine on the space phone and he answers "Lord Sidious." :rolleyes:

---------------
Destroying legitimate topics one thread at a time!

Rogue II
05-23-2002, 09:06 PM
I don't think the Jedi can see the future when it pretains to the Sith. The Dark Side clouds things. Gee, if the Sith block themselves out of Jedi's visions, the only good the Jedi's powers are good for is picking lottery numbers.

Another SPOILER ALERT!!

Jar Jar sneeks up behind Palpy sitting at his desk. He peeks over Palpatine's shoulder and sees that he is practicing a new signature "Darth Siduous, Galactic Emperor"

chewie
05-23-2002, 10:59 PM
So you all are thinking that Palpatine will still do his double-identity of Sidious/Palpatine even after he declares himself emporer? I think he'll immediately switch to his more comfortable sith robes and will freely admit to anybody that he is was Sidious all along.

Darth Evil
05-24-2002, 03:32 PM
I hope there's a cool scene where Anakin confronts Sidious before or after killing Tyranus and Sidious pulls down his hood, revealing himself to be Palpatine, and gives us an evil smile.

eliwankenobi
05-24-2002, 06:50 PM
According to the novelization of ROTJ, the galaxy knows it is Emperor Palpatine who rules the Empire. Perhaps Sidious is just his "secret identity" until his manipulations put him in power.

starwars92590
05-24-2002, 10:42 PM
well in Episode 2 Dooku sort of told Obi Wan that the Senate were now in the hands of a Sith, which he most likely ment Palpatine.

Imperial Monarche
11-11-2002, 10:10 PM
I know everyone has been bouncin around ideas as to if Sideous and Palpatine are the same people, but i dont recall anyone comin up wit this idea. Could Palpatine and Sideous be brothers? think bout it, sideous is a sith master and he uses his power to cloak the minds of the jedi and the senators in order to allow his brother, who is a master politician, to gain power. but, then wen his brother palpatine eventually does take power, his brother sideous kills his own brother and takes his place. nobody knows the difference because the brothers are twins and then to add an even more twist to it, sideous is the father of anakin (dont really know how to develop that theory, but its a long shot) but i think sideous and palpatine could be brothers, however sideous is the long lost brother nobody knew of except for Palpatine.

Beast
11-11-2002, 10:16 PM
The brother idea is worse then the clone idea. While the clone idea is plausable, and possible, I don't think it will happen. We don't need another set of twins existing in the Star Wars universe. It's bad enough that we got Luke and Leia. Let's pray that the revelation of someone having a twin brother, isn't somthing that Lucas plans to revisit for E3. Similar happens can only be stretched so far. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
11-12-2002, 11:53 AM
I was thinking, about Palpatine/Sidious.

It is pretty much agreed that we, the audience, will find out that they are the same person. My question is, other than Darth Vader and a few others, does anyone in the Star Wars universe realize that Emperor Palpatine is a Sith? I was wondering this because Tarkin tells Vader in ANH that he is the last of his religion.

Beast
11-12-2002, 12:01 PM
I don't think anyone other then Vader and a few of the Emporer's most trusted advisors really know. Likely when the Jedi's try to claim that Palpatine is a Sith Lord in EIII, he will make them look like lunatics. Plus the fact they are going to be keeping a closer eye on the Senate, which can also bite them on the arse in E3. Likely those are the reasons the masses following along with his Jedi Purge plans. Connects perfectly with the OT and Han's remark about Ben being a "crazy old wizard" :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Toad
11-15-2002, 10:04 AM
It surprises me that so many people don't think that Palpatine in Ep. I and II isn't the Sith Emperor Palpatine in the second trilogy. I agree, theorizing wild and crazy ideas is great, but I don't think you need to for this one.

GL pretty much hints several times that the Jedi are beginning to distrust the Supreme Chancellor Palpatine. I don't think there's much to question except when will the name Darth Sidious stop being used?

gibbyhayes
11-16-2002, 12:52 PM
Does anyone have any idea how this all relates to the mysteriou Sifo-Dyas? It's too close to Sideous to be unrelated. Was Palpy (or if he's a clone, his genetic source) ever a jedi? Dooku was, so did he erase the Kamino info, or someone else?

Jedi Clint
11-16-2002, 01:55 PM
Obi Wan knew Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas. This means he is not a character that we have seen before. Obi would know if Palpatine were Sifo-Dyas. When Sifo died, Palpatine was rising to power in the senate. "He died ten years ago." Most likely he was killed by Dooku who used his identity to create the clone army under the veil of it being for the Jedi.

Toad
11-16-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
Obi Wan knew Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas. This means he is not a character that we have seen before. Obi would know if Palpatine were Sifo-Dyas. When Sifo died, Palpatine was rising to power in the senate. "He died ten years ago." Most likely he was killed by Dooku who used his identity to create the clone army under the veil of it being for the Jedi.

I agree -- I don't think there's many ways to go here. Palpatine is not Sifo Dyas - it is some other character. Perhaps Sifo Dyas ordered the clones, but perhaps someone used his name to do it. Either way, I don't really think it's crucial.

The thing that gets me is that it's obvious Emperor Palpatine in the OT has dark jedi powers. Well...doesn't that mean he was once a Jedi? And doesn't that then mean that Chancellor Palpy in AOTC/TPM was once a Jedi, yet no one recognizes him....?! Odd, indeed....

Attention mods --- why was my post above this post edited?

Jedi Clint
11-16-2002, 11:37 PM
I think Palpatine escaped detection of his force abilities when he was a child and hooked up with a Sith Lord later in life. I don't think he was ever a Jedi. I agree that finding out exactly who S-D was is not crucial to the story. We have already been given all the exposition that we need on the matter.

As to why your post was edited, you will have to PM L.M. and ask him.

mini-rock
11-17-2002, 02:59 AM
Also for the record GL clearly states in the AOTC commentary that Palpy and Sidious are the same person. Not clones and not brothers.

Also Tarkin said "The Jedi are extinct. You are the last of their religion" to Vader so Tarkin wasn't really reffering to Palpy since Palpy was never a Jedi. Tarkin still may know about Palpy's powers though, but unfortunately we will have to wait to see him in EPIII.:)

Toad
11-17-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by mini-rock
Also for the record GL clearly states in the AOTC commentary that Palpy and Sidious are the same person. Not clones and not brothers.

Really? I don't recall that at all. If you wouldn't mind, can you
point me at least to the chapter in which he says this?

Jedi Clint -- what does "PM" mean?

Lord Malakite
11-17-2002, 04:27 PM
PM is short for private message. It allows people on this board to contact you (without having to give out your e-mail address) via a forum exclusive inbox. You can activate it in your user cp (which I would suggest doing in case a mod needs to get in touch with you).

I edited your post because it contained a curse word that should have been censored, but wasn't, because it was ran together with another word. With the exception of deleting that one word, I left your post intact as it was.

Toad
11-17-2002, 05:16 PM
:crazed:
DOH!!

Thanks, I apologize for the curse word -- I don't even remember what I said! :(

gibbyhayes
11-18-2002, 12:32 AM
Yeah, where does Lucas say Palpy and Sideous are the same?

Darth Trymybestus
11-18-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by gibbyhayes
Yeah, where does Lucas say Palpy and Sideous are the same?

I know he says it in the Attack of the Clones commentary but I can't remember when, Ben Burtt also says it too.
He even reveals it in The Phantom Menace.. he says that he introduced Darth Sidious as a hologram the first time because that's how he introduced him for the first time in The Empire Strikes back :)
So there you have it... DARTH SIDIOUS IS EMPEROR PALPATINE! :D :crazed:

mini-rock
11-19-2002, 02:08 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Toad

Really? I don't recall that at all. If you wouldn't mind, can you
point me at least to the chapter in which he says this?[/QUOTE

I don't remember exactly where, but I'll find it and post after. Unless someone else has already.:D