PDA

View Full Version : DVDs to only contain Special Editions - no 'originals' (merged)

2-1B
05-21-2002, 12:15 PM
Reading the new Insider I found an interview with George W Lucas in which he said the DVDs will most likely only contain the Special Editions since that's what he sees as Star Wars. Apparantly he is not interested in showing the genesis of the classic trilogy.

This will come as a disappointment to many.

Pendo
05-21-2002, 12:25 PM
There's only one word I can think of that I can find apropriate here
- "B:eek:LL:eek:CKS"!!!!! :D

I prefere the classic versions to the SE!!!!!
Well as long as he takes out the Greedo shooting first scene it really won't bother me too much.

PENDO!

Beast
05-21-2002, 12:30 PM
Yes, but which special editions is the question. Since he is filming additional scenes for the archival editions, we won't even have access to the original 1997 Special Editions. I guess you guys are going to have to keep those VHS sets after all, just like we had to do with TPM, cause Lucas added stuff to it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-21-2002, 12:32 PM
I just mentioned this in Pendo's Archival Editions thread. I expected to be upset about the news; but now that I know it isn't going to happen then I guess we all just have to live with it or find a new hobby. Personally, I hope GL goes back and redoes all of the CG additions since technology is so much more advanced now compared to the 'off-the-shelf' software they used in 1997. Plus the best way to make sure that the CG blends seamlessly is to simply insert more CG. I'm thinking of a complete overhaul from beginning to end of each movie. Hey, we know he's going to change them, so he might as well go all out and do it right. No more half-stepping.

El Chuxter
05-21-2002, 02:13 PM
As Woody Allen would say, this is a travesty of a mockery of two shams! :mad:

I was hoping he'd take a cue from good buddy Steven's upcoming ET DVD.

So, um, how hard is it to find the THX remaster laserdiscs from around 1995? And, uh, a laserdisc player to go with them?

This is a sad day. Not even the mighty grin of Kit Fisto can cheer us up. :cry:

Beast
05-21-2002, 02:18 PM
Try Ebay for the Laserdiscs and player, El Chuxter. I bought mine at retail back in the 90's and I love em. The Definitive Collection is the best set to try to get, as it has the original versions of the movies, along with some audio commentary, and behind the scenes features. It also has a tour of the Lucasfilm archives, very very cool. I am hoping to get them burned onto DVD sometime late this year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

skyywalkerr
05-21-2002, 05:34 PM
Senator Binks, if ya do that,let me know LOL

Eternal Padawan
05-22-2002, 09:07 AM
Definitely JJB. I would pay for a bootleg of the Original on DVD. Complainers of that line of thinking note: If George doesn't want to put the originals out on DVD, I have two words for him Supply. and Demand. I would certainly buy an original trilogy on DVD from HIM if he wanted to make one.

Fixer
05-24-2002, 01:52 PM
Unfortunate, this is.

Ah well, I've got the Widescreen VHS THX editions from '95. Maybe I too will invest in the LaserDisc route.

OriginalBryGuy
05-30-2002, 02:34 PM
When asked about the possible inclusion of the original versions of Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi on future DVD releases Lucas said, "I don't think so. I think of the film as the Special Edition, I don't think of it as the early version, any more than I would put early rough cuts on. I could put four or five rough cuts onto the thing and say, 'This is how it advanced.' I consider the Special Edition as being the final version at this point. I don't even worry about the other ones, because it went through a lot of incarnations to get to the final stage." - George Lucas

Coming from Lucas I'm not surprised. Still, I think that kinda sucks...what do you think?

Source - http://filmforce.ign.com/starwars/articles/361/361025 p1.html

OriginalBryGuy
05-30-2002, 02:35 PM
http://filmforce.ign.com/starwars/articles/361/361025p1.html

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 02:38 PM
What's more, he probably isn't done fiddling with 'em yet - rumor has it he's going back to the original trilogy to add Jar-Jar, Amidala, and edit old music/add new music. Good thing I already have the "original" OT on DVD (crummy Laserdisc rip, but it beats watching it on VHS).

And shouldn't this be in one of the movie sections, or something?

ScarletX
05-30-2002, 03:08 PM
More recent reports stated that he might not..... Something on theforce.net stated that Natalie Portman knows nothing baout any additional scenes for ROTJ.... But then who to believe?

I guess we'll know sometime in 2005-06!

pthfnder89
05-30-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
What's more, he probably isn't done fiddling with 'em yet - rumor has it he's going back to the original trilogy to add Jar-Jar, Amidala, and edit old music/add new music. Good thing I already have the "original" OT on DVD (crummy Laserdisc rip, but it beats watching it on VHS).

Yeah, I may have to invest in an old Laserdisc player so I can have a better-than-VHS copy. It's really a shame though. If he wants to change the OT to his hearts content I say fine, it's his story anyway.

But at least recognize that a lot of fans really liked the old version better and would like that one as well.:(

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

Yeah, I may have to invest in an old Laserdisc player so I can have a better-than-VHS copy. It's really a shame though. If he wants to change the OT to his hearts content I say fine, it's his story anyway.

But at least recognize that a lot of fans really liked the old version better and would like that one as well.:(

No need to buy a LD player:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1540172753

That guy is getting ripped off BAD (various Asian VCD/DVD sites sell the same set for around $45) but that's the set I have. This website (http://www.newdvd.cc) used to sell that set, but now all I can find is this one (http://www.newdvd.cc/dvd/dvdsc_032.htm), which is the special edition.

corporal AMF
05-30-2002, 04:07 PM
HMMM asian VCD........an almost nice replacement ror DVD's...... :eek: :) :)

Anyone knows if that DVD collection of the OT is a good rip of the VHS.......my tapes are getting really bad with number 1289 view !

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by corporal AMF
HMMM asian VCD........an almost nice replacement ror DVD's...... :eek:

The sets I'm talking about are DVDs, not VCDs. They're better than VHS which is pretty much the only other alternative for most people - no rewinding, no degradation of image quality from repeated viewings, digital format, etc. And they're LaserDisc rips so they are the best quality available at the moment. Owning these beats waiting til 2007 or whenever George decides he wants to release the OT officially. :)

CooLJoE
05-30-2002, 04:16 PM
Considering that Padme would be like 40 years old or more in OT, it wouldn't be Natalie Portman doing the role. So that explains why she would know nothing about it. Ahmed Best would probably get a returning role though since he's just the voice of Jar Jar.

CooLJoE
05-30-2002, 04:19 PM
The Laserdisc rips could still be in violation, but I would figure that if you own the Laserdisc and you take the time to make the DVDs with your own hardware, its no big deal.

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by CooLJoE
Considering that Padme would be like 40 years old or more in OT, it wouldn't be Natalie Portman doing the role. So that explains why she would know nothing about it. Ahmed Best would probably get a returning role though since he's just the voice of Jar Jar.

I figured if Portman were inserted into ROTJ, it would be as a flashback scene, so they COULD use her in the role.

ScarletX
05-30-2002, 04:21 PM
I think IF Natalie was to come back for a breif cameo in ROTJ, it might be a flashback scene when Leia thinks back about her mom being so beautiful and the like..... if this were the case then no need to hire an older actress! :)

ScarletX
05-30-2002, 04:21 PM
Oops, Forhekset posted just as I did! :)

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by CooLJoE
The Laserdisc rips could still be in violation, but I would figure that if you own the Laserdisc and you take the time to make the DVDs with your own hardware, its no big deal.

I dunno about the legality of it all, but the various DVDs sell on eBay all the time, and tons of international VCD/DVD stores sell 'em online. Seems like if Lucasfilm could do anything about it, they would have.

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ScarletX
Oops, Forhekset posted just as I did! :)

Heh, I hate when that happens. :D

TK421BB
05-30-2002, 07:18 PM
I think if they release them on DVD they should make it a 2 disc set. One disc is the original and the other the special edition. I think that would make a lot of fans happy to get both versions of all 3 movies...

DarkArtist
05-30-2002, 08:34 PM
If Lucas does include these scenes the one I would love to see is the Jimmy Smits/Bail Organa on Alderaan. I think Lucas should create this scene with Organa standing on a balcony watching the sky as the Death Star Looms overhead. If you look at the Essential Chronology book it shows the Death Star breaking the atmosphere of Alderaan.

Jedi Juice
05-30-2002, 10:28 PM
I think the entire two trilogy saga will be released with a total of 7 dvd's..... one extra for various behind-the-scenes stuff.......

Eternal Padawan
05-31-2002, 08:23 AM
I don't really believe in George's thinking that the original Theatrical versions are "Rough Cuts" of the film. Rough cuts are something directors and editors show to studio heads to give them an idea where their millions are going. Not films that are the only versions millions of fans around the world fall in love with.

That's just a stupid analogy, George.

Pendo
06-01-2002, 07:00 AM
I think we should start signing the petitions to get the originals on DVD. There's one over at:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/838350200

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
06-01-2002, 10:03 AM
Here's a comment on it from the guys at www.thedigitalbits.com

And in our other Star Wars note today, Cinescape has posted a note about a recent interview with George Lucas in Star Wars Insider magazine, in which he seems to indicate that the original theatrical versions of the Star Wars Trilogy will not be released on DVD eventually, basically because he doesn't feel that they exist anymore. In other words, his revised special editions, however they ultimately turn out, will be the final versions of these films. Strangely, we've heard many reports of comments to the contrary by producer Rick McCallum from his presentation at the recent Star Wars Celebration convention in Indianapolis. With all this confusion, we're naturally getting all kinds of e-mail from people wanting to start petitions about this.

Look... these eventual DVDs are more then 3 years away. Let's just wait and see what we hear as time goes on. I ABSOLUTELY BELIEVE that it would be a crime not to at least preserve the original theatrical versions of these films on DVD. The bottom line, whether Lucas likes it or not, is that those original versions are the ones we all grew up with and loved. And whether he likes it or not, he owes it to fans, and to cinema history, to preserve that original experience in digital quality on DVD (and not just VHS and laserdisc). I may the only one who can't wait to see these revised, CGI-enhanced "ultimate" editions of the Star Wars movies, but no one except George will be happy with those alone on DVD. NO ONE. If that were to happen, fans would probably storm the Skywalker Ranch in protest. That said, there's plenty of time to worry about this as we get closer to a time when those eventual DVDs are seriously in production. Frankly, I'm not convinced that anything is set in stone yet. So let's just wait and see, and look forward to Episode II on DVD in the meantime (come to a DVD player near you on 11/26).

chewie
06-01-2002, 03:24 PM
When I first found out that the original trilogy DVDs wouldn't be coming out until 2005 or 2006, I knew then that we'd never get the original versions of the films, nor the special editions on DVD. And especially no extras on the disk to allow somebody to see them in the original format. Lucas could have put those versions of the dvd out already and made lots of $$$ on it, but doesn't want to because he wants his older movies to match up with what he's doing now for the prequels. Shame, but thats how it goes.

derek
06-02-2002, 03:11 AM
as long as they re-do jabba in episode 4 and re-do the light saber blades to match the PT, i'll be happy.:)

Obi-Don
06-02-2002, 04:22 AM
I liked the the new verion of the OT movies and will want them one DVD. I can't help but be alittle sad about not getting them on DVD as they were shown to us as they 1st came out. I guess I will have to hold on to my VHS copies until GL comes back to his right mind and realize that the old verions are what started all this in the 1st place.

scruffziller
06-03-2002, 12:13 PM
When they do make the final collection on DVD, EVERYthing I MEAN EVER THING THAT HAD ANYTHING TO TO DO WITH STAR WARS should be placed on those DVDs, making of the movies all versions original, archival and SE even the Christmas special. I would pay good money for the ultimate collection. If LUcas wants to finish this up then he should finish it up now once and for all the way the fans would have it.