PDA

View Full Version : Mark Hamill A&E Biography

2-1B
05-22-2002, 03:44 AM
I thought it was a very interesting show, they only had an hour to work with but I thought it offered a nice synopsis of Mark's career. Of course, SW got the most attention but the program succeeded in showing that while some people saw his career as stagnant after SW it was really quite the opposite.

I knew about the auto accident and its impact on ESB, but I didn't know about his connection to Eight is Enough. The first 12 minutes of the doc was pre-SW, and they even offered a few clips from his earliest work.

Interviewees included Mark's wife, daughter, brother, cousin, Annie Potts, Gary Kurtz, George Lucas, and Frank Oz. Pretty nice contributions, though it would have been nice to hear from Mark himself.

Congrats Mark! :)

pthfnder89
05-22-2002, 10:47 AM
I missed it and I'm kicking myself.

That's interesting and disappointing that Mark didn't do an interview for it. Biography is really one of the best shows out there, and although I know he keeps busy it's not as though he's in the public eye much anymore. It would have been good for him to do an interview for posterity.

SWAFMAN
05-22-2002, 02:40 PM
Maybe Hamill figures he's never going to get any more work out of Lucas, and so he doesn't want to do what amounts, largely, to a publicity stunt for EP2, plus serves to reinforce his Skywalker stereotype which may not be helpful to whatever current career he may have?

Kinda silly though, if true, since he's NEVER going to escape the Skywalker stereotype.

I missed it too, but I wouldn't be too bummed, pthfnder89. Up there with death & taxes, the other thing that's pretty certain in life is that A&E recycles their Biography episodes quite a bit. I'd bet it may even re-air this coming weekend.

mylow thehutt
05-22-2002, 02:43 PM
didn't sirsteve post some time ago that he got married to Carrie Fisher.

SWAFMAN
05-22-2002, 02:45 PM
sir steve is married to carrie fisher?!?

;)

bigbarada
05-22-2002, 03:28 PM
There was a rumor waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the 70s that implied that Mark and Carrie were dating and thinking about getting married. Kind of like the more recent rumors of a lasting relationship between Tobey Macguire and Kirstin Dunst after Spider-Man (even though they did date a couple times, I think).

Mark Hamill has been married since before ROTJ came out, but not to Carrie Fisher.

hamsterboy
05-23-2002, 01:09 AM
I never knew he was up for the lead in "Amadeus". I wonder how that movie would have turn out if Mark had gotten the lead?

TeeEye7
05-23-2002, 06:47 AM
I was suprised by the revelation that he was in the pilot for "Eight is Enough" as well. I'm glad he got out of his contract with ABC (maybe he whined he way out ;) ), or else we may have seen some other 70's lesser-known actor in the role as Skywalker. If so, who knows what the chemistry would have been like with Fisher and Ford. Would SW have been as successful if Hamill could not have been released from ABC?

HMMM..........:confused:

QLD
05-23-2002, 08:31 AM
Dangit! I missed it! Oh well. It sounds interesting though. I imagine at some point they will replay it.

2-1B
05-23-2002, 11:41 AM
Carrie Fisher did not marry Hamill, but she did marry Paul Simon for almost a year. That surprised me last night while watching her Biography.

Tonight it's Harrison Ford (I believe it's a rerun) and then Star Wars week is over.

JediTricks
05-24-2002, 03:26 AM
I enjoyed Sam Jackson's stuff before, during the commercial breaks, and after the bios for Mark and Carrie (the only 2 I watched). His lines about voting on the A&E website about favorite SW character were of particular note:
"Vote for Jar Jar, it's anonymous, nobody will know it's you."
-and-
"You could vote for Mace Windu!" (pointing to himself with an evil, gleeful look in his eye)

I liked Bill Mumy as the narrator for Mark's bio, but whomever narrated Carrie's sounded like he was applying for a job on E's True Hollywood Stories. It was especially interesting to me to see "Luke" and "Leia" before ANH - I wonder if Lucas could take those photos and turn them into digital characters for Episode 3.5 ;)

pthfnder89
05-24-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Carrie Fisher did not marry Hamill, but she did marry Paul Simon for almost a year. That surprised me last night while watching her Biography.

Since Paul Simon is one of my favorite musicians I already knew they were married ; but only for a year? That one surprises me, I thought they were together for maybe five; I had no idea it was that short. Oh well, that's Hollywood for you...:rolleyes:

pthfnder89
05-24-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by TeeEye7
I was suprised by the revelation that he was in the pilot for "Eight is Enough" as well. I'm glad he got out of his contract with ABC (maybe he whined he way out ;) ), or else we may have seen some other 70's lesser-known actor in the role as Skywalker. If so, who knows what the chemistry would have been like with Fisher and Ford. Would SW have been as successful if Hamill could not have been released from ABC?

HMMM..........:confused:

Oh god, I just had a HORRIBLE thought! John Travolta as Luke Skywalker....:eek::eek: :eek:

Everyone knows that Brian DePalma was casting Carrie at the same time as George was casting Star Wars. Can you imagine the horror?

Helloooo Mista Vadaaaaa... (anyone who can guess the reference gets a gold star:))

SWAFMAN
05-24-2002, 05:16 PM
"Helloooo Mista Vadaaaaa... " - Darth Horshack

"WHY is construction behind schedule on this facility?" - Darth Vader

"Oooh! Oooh! I got a NOTE! Here you go, Mister Vader!" - Major Epstein

" 'Dear Mister Vader, please excuse Major Epstein's death star project from being behind schedule. Signed, Major Epstein's Mother.'
[Vader makes a hand motion, and Major Epstein clutches at his own throat as he crumples to the floor, dead]
"Note accpeted, Major Epstein. Major Barbarino, YOU are now in charge of construction of the death star." - Darth Vader

"What?" - Major Barbarino

"You've been promoted." - Darth Vader

"Where?" - Major Barbarino

"HERE! At this facility!" - Darth Vader

"Why?" - Major Barbarino

"AAAAGGHHH!!!" - Vader