PDA

View Full Version : Comic Book Films?

Brave Sir Robin
05-22-2002, 12:18 PM
What do you all think is the best ever movie based on a comic book, superhero or otherwise?

My personal favorite superhero flick is Batman Returns, but I believe that Tim Burton's first Batman film takes the cake as accuracy goes. Some other honorable mentions include the Superman series, the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles flick, X-men (although it managed to screw up the continuity completley, i still loved it) and Spiderman. Some of the ones that sucked include Dick Tracy, the Phantom, Joel Schumacher's Batman flicks, and The Punisher.

bigbarada
05-22-2002, 03:48 PM
The original Superman flick is the best. I have yet to see Spider-Man, so I can't comment on that one. The Crow and MIB were really good too.

I haven't liked a single movie in the Batman series yet. Unfortunately the best casting choice for Bruce Wayne (George Clooney) ended up in the stupidest of the movies.

If I had to pick one, I would have to say that the Captain America movie was the worst of all time. So bad it went straight to video. Same with the Fantastic Four movie; but I haven't had the "honor" of seeing that one.

Comic Book movies I would like to see made (what I originally thought this thread was going to be about):

Maus: A Survivor's Tale (the only comic book to win the Nobel Prize for literature, should be an animated film)
Bone (should also be animated)
Marvels
Kingdom Come
Watchmen (these last three I'd want to see only if they were done right with complete accuracy to the source material)
Madman
HeroBear and the Kid (would be an awesome Disney style animated flick, think 'Iron Giant meets Calvin & Hobbes')
Hellboy

JediTricks
05-22-2002, 06:45 PM
I liked Dick Tracy, as well as The Shadow - both are considered dreck by many. If I had to choose "best", I'd probably go with Spider-Man, followed closely by Batman -- they both capture a very specific "comic book" feeling without falling into the problems many comic book movies fall into. I like Blade a lot, but I think it goes beyond the comic book feeling so while I actually like it as much as Batman, I don't think it's really as good of a comic book movie. I never cared for the Superman or TMNT movies that much, but they're nowhere near as bad as The Punisher or that awful Captain America film.

Anybody see Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.E.I.L.D., a TV movie from a few years ago? That was pretty rank, and David Hasselhoff was playing the title role!

Eternal Padawan
05-22-2002, 07:49 PM
I would LOVE a Bone movie. But live action with CGI Bones. (like Caspar) The whole series has an epic quality to it. I would like to see Miller's Dark Knight Returns on the big screen. And a really good Iron Man movie.

Best Comic movies? Spider-Man and SuperMan had that flashy colorful comic book style. And who doesn't get the urge to yell "up, up and away" when they hear John Williams awesome score?

The Crow, X-Men, and the first Burton Batman had a dark gritty feel that I enjoyed. Batman Returns had its good points (like Catwoman) and its bad, (pengiuns with rockets, DeVito as the penguin, Chris Walken...)

Batman Forever has been downgraded to utter schlock after I watched it again the other day. And Batman &Robin is the worst comic book movie ever. You might say Capt. America or Fantastic Four or Punisher. But those were made for peanuts and had no pretensions about being high minded films. B&R aspired and demended to be good, so it sucked all the more.

One final note. Bill Bixby as David Banner. What a wonderful portrayal of a haunted character. And I love the melancholy piano riff that ended each show. I hope they manage to work that haunting melody into the movie somewhere.

Dryanta
05-22-2002, 08:53 PM
As a Bat fan I didn't like any of the BAt fims.Big disapointment to a life long fan.
I liked Blade but never read the comic.All time best so far?Superman.
Worst? Punisher.
Miller should do the dark knight returns on film true to the series.It would be awesome!!
I'd like to see Kingdom Come as well,but I think the two movies would confuse every one too much.

JediTricks
05-22-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
And Batman &Robin is the worst comic book movie ever. You might say Capt. America or Fantastic Four or Punisher. But those were made for peanuts and had no pretensions about being high minded films. B&R aspired and demended to be good, so it sucked all the more.That's the same reasoning I hold when I choose Speed 2: Cruise Control as worst film ever. :D

derek
05-22-2002, 10:13 PM
hey E.P.,

why in the tv show was banner called david, while in the comic he's called bruce?

i was a big hulk fan when it was on tv. i too hope they can capture some of that for the movie. and eric bana seems like a cool guy. i hope the CG hulk looks ok.

one thing i know for sure, with the success of spiderman and the x-men, we are guaranteed to get a new batman and superman films. hopefully they will take a clue from marvel and do the films justice.

big barada,

i too thought clooney was the best casting choice for batman. i would of liked to see him in the original.

jeditricks,

speed 2 was bad, but i still think streetfighter with van damn hold's the title of worst movie ever. did you see speed 2? i thought i recall you posted you didn't see it?

JediTricks
05-22-2002, 11:07 PM
I saw Speed 2 the same day I saw Batman & Robin... I chose Speed 2 over B&R, that should tell you something. :D Street Fighter is bad, but if you take the game out of the equation, it pretty much sets out to do what it wants. Speed 2 can't even get that across.

Eternal Padawan
05-22-2002, 11:33 PM
Well, this could be rumor, but I think TV executives were worried the name "Bruce" had certain "undesirable" overtones. They thought it sounded G A Y. I know, I know...but it was the 70's so who knows what goes through their minds? So they changed it to David. In the first or second issue they called Broce "Bob"so they worked it into continuity that his full name was Robert Bruce Banner and his fathers name was David if I remember correctly.

JT, Speed 2 was the most boring "action" movie I have ever seen.

"Oh no, were going 12 miles an hour! We only have 45 minutes to turn the ship ever so slightly to avoid another ship! We must slow the ship down one mile per hour every ten minutes or a pier will get smashed!" YAWN.

Wolfwood319
05-22-2002, 11:59 PM
Best Overall adaptation: Spider-Man
Movie that was better than the comics: Blade/Blade II (movie character was much cooler and more intriguing than the character from the books)

Other really good ones:
From Hell
Crow
Burton Batman
Superman I & II

Dick Tracy and The Shadow were also really good (wasn't the Shadow a Radio show, not a comic?)

I'm interested in the upcoming Hulk and Daredevil flicks, and hope we get a really great Batman.

Some comics that will never translate to a good movie;

Avengers
JLA
Watchmen
Kingdom Come

Just about any "Team" book won't translate well, due to the mass amounts of characters compared to the small length of a movie.

bigbarada
05-23-2002, 12:32 AM
Some internet poop on a Bone movie: Bone creator Jeff Smith WAS working in an animated adaption of his comic book. Emphasis on WAS. It seems that he took the smart road and had something called a "Poison Pill Clause" put into the contract with the studio that was going to finance the film. Essentially this clause would allow him to pull the plug on the project at any time if he felt that things were progressing in a way that he didn't like. Apparently, the studio wanted Smith to rewrite the story to allow for some Britney Spears or Backstreet Boys songs, so they could market a soundtrack. Smith didn't like this at all and the studio wouldn't stop pressuring him about it, so he pulled the plug. Thus the movie has stopped production completely until Smith can find another studio or come to an agreement with his current studio.

Not entirely sure how true this is, it did come from the internet after all; but if accurate it does show that some creators really do care about the integrity of their creations.

There is rumor of a HeroBear and the Kid movie in the works. Yay!!! For those who have never heard of this series, here is a small peek at what this awesome series looks like:

SithDroid
05-23-2002, 12:36 AM
Spider-man by far is the best.
X-Men is really great as well.
The first Batman was really good, the second was ok, then let's not talk about the other two.
Superman I and II were really good as well.
From Hell was excellent.

The Punisher sucked.
Captain America Sucked.
Speed 2 sucked.:D

bigbarada
05-23-2002, 12:39 AM
Another page from HeroBear and the Kid: :D

187-Maul
05-23-2002, 12:23 PM
Spiderman is cool
first 2 Batman movies
X-men
From Hell is excellent
TMNT 1 and 2
The Crow 1
Blade 1 (haven't seen 2 yet)

jblodgett
05-23-2002, 06:31 PM
The original Batman was well done- with two flaws. Disappointing that the Joker- the greatest Batman villian ever- was killed off so easily. Disappointing that the midget, Michael Keaton, played Batman/Bruce Wayne. He looked like he had an afro for crying out loud- he was almost bald.

I prefer Val Kilmer to George Clooney as far as who should have played the ROLE of Batman. The two Burton Batman movies were good- the two after- not.

Have not yet seen Spiderman, but not a big fan of Toby McGuire.

I liked the X-Men- biggest problem it had was having to fit so much back story into a 2 hour movie. The next movie should be a lot better.

Superman 1 and Superman 2 were both excellent. I still enjoy watching them, although I think it is kind of funny to see the 1970's clothes and stuff. Pretty good effects for such an old movie. Does anyone know--- did they film Superman 1 and Superman 2 at the same time?? Superman 3-- Richard Pryor?? and then the 4th one-- whoa bad. I have heard lots of rumors that they are making a new Superman movie-- and the last rumor I heard was Nicholas Cage playing the role of Superman--- BIG MISTAKE if true. A bald and skinny Superman-- not my cup of tea.

I actually liked the Transformers movie- sort of funny how the toy company made the movie just to introduce a ton of new toys. Smart thinking by them. (I always hated transformers because they never looked exactly like what they looked like in the comics/tv/movies.)

The GI Joe movie with Don Johnson and Don Meredith was pretty good too.

I liked the Shadow too. Captain America- not good.

derek
05-23-2002, 09:26 PM
yea, most of superman 1 and 2 were filmed at the same time by a director called richard donner. part 2 was mostly done when another director was brought in to finish it up after the producer fired donner. it's all in the superman dvd special features.:)

bigbarada
05-24-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by jblodgett

I have heard lots of rumors that they are making a new Superman movie-- and the last rumor I heard was Nicholas Cage playing the role of Superman--- BIG MISTAKE if true. A bald and skinny Superman-- not my cup of tea.

That was true, it was Tim Burton's idea. He was supposed to direct it and wanted Nicholas Cage, so he could "try something different." In other words, screw everything up just like Planet of the Apes.

Well from what I hear, fan reaction was waaaay too negative (imagine the AOTC/N'SYNC thing times ten) so Tim Burton, miffed that he couldn't have his way, lost interest and dropped out of the project. I don't know who is directing it now, but I can guarantee that they won't be approaching Nicholas Cage for anything.:)

SithDroid
05-24-2002, 02:05 AM
Really? I knew about the Nicholas Cage thing, but I had no idea that Tm Burton was behind it all. I usually like Tim Burton (except for the cr*ppy Planet of the Apes) so why would he deliberately try to ruin a new franchise? It doesn't make sense. I still think the best choice is Tom Welling who plays Clark Kent on Smallville. Just wait another 4 years until the show has run it's course then tie the series ending into the new movie. It could work. Warner Brothers needs to start being true to their comic book titles and to the characters by hiring people that actually look the part and who can actually act. It really is a shame that WB owns all the DC characters because it will take them forever to make movies out of their heroes. Plus I think the only major players that DC has for film versions are Batman, Superman, they could also possibly do the Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman (but it would have to be done really well). Anything else I don't think a lot of people would go see because it wouldn't appeal to the mass audience population. Although I would love to see a Neil Gaiman's Sandman movie.

bigbarada
05-24-2002, 04:48 AM
The guy from Smallville is way too much of a pretty boy to play Superman, IMO. It's the second biggest reason I don't watch that show (the first biggest reason being that we don't get WB out here). However, Superman has become so much of a worldwide icon that no matter how you do it, there will be lots of people crying "foul."

While I have seen people in real life that could be Superman, I have never seen a movie or TV actor that really seems to have what it takes. All the more reason that I think movies like this should be cartoons. This would allow the audience to fill in the details of the character on their own and allow an icon to remain an icon.

Beast
05-24-2002, 05:09 AM
Thank god that Tim Burton dropped out for doing Superman. Did you hear what he had in store for the Superman suit? The S on the chest was supposed to be clear, and actually show the inside of his body, having a nuclear reaction to earth's yellow sun. Ugh, he was good on Batman because Tim Burton thinks in a Gothic Manor. But for gods sakes, please keep him away from Superman. :eek:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bigbarada
05-24-2002, 05:53 AM
Oooh, that sounds terrible. What was the studio thinking when they asked someone like Tim Burton to do a movie like Superman? Superman is way too mainstream for him to handle correctly.

JediTricks
05-24-2002, 06:20 AM
Well, this could be rumor, but I think TV executives were worried the name "Bruce" had certain "undesirable" overtones. They thought it sounded G A Y. I know, I know...but it was the 70's so who knows what goes through their minds? So they changed it to David. In the first or second issue they called Broce "Bob"so they worked it into continuity that his full name was Robert Bruce Banner and his fathers name was David if I remember correctly.

JT, Speed 2 was the most boring "action" movie I have ever seen.

"Oh no, were going 12 miles an hour! We only have 45 minutes to turn the ship ever so slightly to avoid another ship! We must slow the ship down one mile per hour every ten minutes or a pier will get smashed!" YAWN.
EP, that's pretty interesting about "David/Bruce", speaks volumes about corporate stupidity.

As for Speed 2, an excellent point - they took the "speed" out of Speed. But I personally never even got past the fact that the characters were made instantly so repulsive (except for the "villain", who they failed to make hateable... smaaaart) that I never wanted them to survive, no matter how bland and slow the danger.

Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Dick Tracy and The Shadow were also really good (wasn't the Shadow a Radio show, not a comic?)Yup, but a lot of folks I know put those 2 in the same boat, so I brought it up since cinematically, it does feel like a comic book film to me.

--

During the Tim Burton/Superman debacle, I remember Kevin Smith claiming he should be the one to write AND direct the Superman film (he had been considered to write the film, I think he even did an early rough treatment) - I don't get why these "left-turn" directors think they are the right ones for the job? I mean, why not just have John Waters direct the damn thing if you're gonna go that way? Heck, with Waters love and use/abuse of kitsch, I think he might actually be a better choice to do this film than those 2! (That's NOT a recommendation to any Warner studio exec reading this to go out and hire John Waters to make this film!!!) Superman is not as easy to take liberties with as Batman or X-men because Superman is basically the most straight-laced superhero, he's boy scout superhero #1 and I can't imagine big Burton-esque changes or Smith-style banter fitting in with something so iconic as the Man of Steel. Smallville gets away with it only because Superboy wasn't very popular or engrained with the general society, so many can accept pre-Supes changes so long as actual-Supes changes are tiptoed around. (Strangely, I think by that same token, the Batman version of this concept - which Smallville was spawned from - would NOT hold up as well because Bruce Wayne's past is so much more of what makes up Batman that there's almost no way to turn a solid, accepted series out of this.)

SithDroid
05-24-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
The guy from Smallville is way too much of a pretty boy to play Superman, IMO.

So you're saying Superman isn't supposed to be a pretty boy, well I guess Tim Burton had the right idea then with Nicholas Cage.;)

bigbarada
05-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid

So you're saying Superman isn't supposed to be a pretty boy, well I guess Tim Burton had the right idea then with Nicholas Cage.;)

He shouldn't be a pretty boy, but he shouldn't be an ugly SOB either. I'll dig around to find what I THINK Superman should look like. Just my interpretation in any case.

stillakid
05-24-2002, 04:49 PM
While some of the comic-to-film movies have been enjoyable to an extent, I haven't been that impressed with any one of them to make me run out of the theater screaming with pleasure. Some are definitely worse than others (Batman 2 through whatever we're up to now) and some are indeed fun to watch (Spiderman, X-Men).

But probably the "best" in terms of enjoyable comic-to-film yet has been the '60's Batman and Robin. Pure and unadulterated corniness. It didn't pretend to be anything more than it was and for that, it was and remains to be a good way to spend an hour and a half.

bigbarada
05-24-2002, 08:41 PM
Sithdroid, I said I'd look around for a picture of someone who I thought would make a good Superman based on looks alone. So here he is, he's a bodybuilder named Dennis Newman and while he probably couldn't act his way out of a paper bag he does have the right look for Supes, IMO (although his jawline could be a little wider). We have to remember that Superman is the source of the superhero stereotype so he should look the part. Just a point of reference for my idea of Superman.

derek
05-24-2002, 10:37 PM
big barada,

that photo of dennis newman is probaly pre-lukemia. he did make a comeback, but didn't get back to where he was, but you're right, he would look good in the blue suit.:)

SithDroid
05-25-2002, 01:13 AM
Well, he looks like a pretty boy to me.;)

I think his body is a little out of proportion, so I don't think that he would be a good choice, his arms are TOO big, plus I agree that he probably couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. However with Superman we have to remember that Superman is not all about "muscles." Going by the "new" Superman revsion on him, his Super powers are generated by Earth's Sun. Hence, no real need for super huge muscles because the sun gives him his strength.

I still think that Tom Welling from Smallville would be a really good choice. I wouldn't dismiss him if I were you bigbarada until you have seen the show. He does a great job with the character and by the time the show ends and they get around to doing a movie spinoff of the series Tom would be 30 in real life. He could certainly play older if he had to.

bigbarada
05-25-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by derek
big barada,

that photo of dennis newman is probaly pre-lukemia. he did make a comeback, but didn't get back to where he was, but you're right, he would look good in the blue suit.:)

Yeah, I think he has less hair now because of the chemotherapy; but am not really sure when this picture was taken. Although he was back to competition standards a few years back. There was that incident were he wasn't allowed to compete because of his treatment, but he jumped up from the audience, ripped off his clothes, started posing right there on the spot and generally made a total *** of himself. But like I said, I only picked him for the way he resembles Superman in my mind.

I consider pretty boys to be men who look like women. I would call Newman handsome, but not a pretty boy. Plus, I think the build would be cool for a movie, I'm tired of seeing scrawny actors who need latex and rubber to beef up their physiques. And I'm not thinking of this character from a realistic sense anyway, he's a comic book character and I am really starting to resent the recent trend to try and make comic heroes "realistic." They're supposed to be over the top, that's the whole point.

bigbarada
05-29-2002, 12:15 AM
Well, I have to take back all the bad stuff I said about Smallville and Tom Welling. I finally watched it tonight and I must say, what a cool show! Welling is excellent in this role and I do think that he would do great as a big screen Superman.

jjreason
05-29-2002, 02:22 PM
I think Jerry Bruckheimer is the guy for Superman, and probably for Capt. America as well. I don't generally support his movies entirely, but he has an eye for action, and for waving the American flag. Both of these characters call for a treatment like that. Superman CAN'T be huge, because it's hard enough to look ar Clark and not make the connection. I really don't think more Superman movie are needed now that we have Christopher Reeve available on DVD. Those first 2 are "super".
Give me a Bruckheimer Capt. America based on Mark Waid on Ron Garney's run where Cap gets "exiled" and eventually redeems himself by saving the Red Skull's life. Wonderful story, and just the right length for a movie. I'll take Robert Redford as Steve Rogers. That would kick.

bigbarada
05-29-2002, 04:51 PM
Robert Redford would be EXCELLENT as Captain America....... twenty years ago. I just watched him in Spy Game and while he is still an excellent actor I just think he is too old for the character.

That's like the people who wanted Matthew Broderick for Spider-Man. Ummmm, he's forty.

Anyways, I think Redford would have been the perfect choice if this movie had been made in the 60s or 70s (but let's face it no pro-America movie was getting made in those decades).

JediTricks
05-30-2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by jjreason
I think Jerry Bruckheimer is the guy for Superman, and probably for Capt. America as well. I don't generally support his movies entirely, but he has an eye for action, and for waving the American flag. Both of these characters call for a treatment like that.
So you want a film where Supes or Cap drive sports cars, shoot 400 rounds of ammo out of handguns without changing clips, fire bazookas and rockets every 6 minutes, spew forth dialogue that would make Arnold Schwarzenegger blush, have a "hard rockin'" soundtrack that has nothing to do with the characters but is pounded into your brain at top volume, and camerawork & editing that won't let a scene sit still for 1/20th of a second? ;)

The more I think about it, the more I think that John Waters would actually make a pretty good Superman film, as long as he was given a good producer and some set parameters beforehand. Look at Serial Mom, the film isn't the outrageousness of his earlier films except for the main character, if you want a comic book movie of Supes, I think John Waters could make it work.

stillakid
05-30-2002, 01:55 AM
My vote for best comic-book movie isn't from a comic at all. In fact I'm going to borrow a line from a review of the movie which says it best:

The Flick Filosopher, http://www.flickfilosopher.com/flickfilos/archive/003q/darkman.html
But I have no doubt that the best comic-book movie ever made that is not actually based on a comic book is Sam Raimi's DARKMAN.

The inherent problem with making any movie based on previous written material, whether it be a comic book, a novel, a stage play, or a tv show, is that it can only be an adaptation. The things that attracted an audience to it in the first place can rarely be converted into a new format (like a 2 hour motion picture) successfully. The original audience can't help but compare and contrast and invariably, the film version falls short of expectations. It may be a perfectly great movie on it's own, but rarely is it given the chance to be evaluated in that way.

So, Darkman is a fantastic edge of your seat movie, with all the elements of a great comic book hero that never was and doesn't suffer from the pre-fab expectations that comic book fans typically saddle adaptations with.

jjreason
06-01-2002, 04:49 AM
I don't really need all the ammo.
Superman isn't some alternative book from the shelf at the back of the store. Isn't John Waters the guy that made Pecker? I don't know much about his movies, but having seen an interview or two Im not sure what he'd do with something almost TOO mainstream like Supes. Waters comes off as pretty fixated on sex (not a problem, most of us are) but a two minute soliloquay from Clark about malfunctions with his "super pee pee" isn't what I'd be wanting. I think I stated that we don't need another Supes movie anyhow.

Let's talk Redford as Cap. Steve Rogers ain't young now. Super serum or not, he's pushing 80. RR's still looking pretty buff, and he's got the right way of carrying himself. Seen Last Castle? That pretty much WAS Steve Rogers right there. Not a stretch for RR at all. CG can easily look after the butt-kicking nowadays, the old man wouldn't even have to work up a sweat. Redford's still my choice. And Ill take the sinister Kevin Spacey as some kind of direct decendent of Hitler for Cap to square off against. Throw in Sharon Lawrence as Sharon Carter and Im half way to a script right there!

Master Goeweins
06-06-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
The inherent problem with making any movie based on previous written material, whether it be a comic book, a novel, a stage play, or a tv show, is that it can only be an adaptation. The things that attracted an audience to it in the first place can rarely be converted into a new format (like a 2 hour motion picture) successfully. The original audience can't help but compare and contrast and invariably, the film version falls short of expectations.

Well, this is a discussion on films that despite being an adaptation of previousley written work in the medium of comics. I think Spiderman was a great adaptation. It brought all the feelings and atmosphere of the original comic to celluloid. It was a success by most fans of the comic. Now, being that Darkman shared the same director, that says a lot.

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Stilla, all interesting points, and I can definitely see and agree with what you're getting at with that nomination... but I still didn't like the film. ;) Darkman does have that comic-book touch, and the plot and story arc fit the bill very accurately. Of course, being as I totally didn't like the film, I now have to ponder whether it's the "comic book film" concept that was what I didn't like or simply the film itself... I'll give that some thought.

jjreason, yes Waters made "Pecker" (which I haven't seen yet because it looked too tame), but I think you'd have to really see John Waters movies beyond the surface (or just listen to him in documentaries and interviews) to get what he's about. His films focus on the ludicrousness of human nature, especially that element of middle-class America. Sometimes, especially in his earlier films, he goes WAAAAAAAAAAAY overboard, but his newer films are more subtle. IMO, his ability to focus on and enhance the idiocyncracities of both a society and individuals would work in the favor of a comic book film and Waters not only harnesses this masterfully, but he controls it to a fine point - and it's that control that I think would give him a directing edge with Superman.

Eternal Padawan
06-07-2002, 09:50 AM
I'd pick Thomas Jane to play Captain America and Jack Noseworthy to play Bucky. But that's just me.

SithDroid
06-07-2002, 10:30 AM
I'd pick Thomas Jane to play Captain America and Jack Noseworthy to play Bucky. But that's just me.

Thomas Jane would be perfect for Captain America.

Darth Nihilus
06-07-2002, 02:35 PM
I must've gone blind when looking at people's worst picks, but everyone seems to have overlooked SPAWN - one of the worst bloody movies ever made. I want the time back that was stolen from me in the cinema, I want my money back, I can't believe something so retarded was ever released.:frus:

But I feel blessed more than most when watching these adaptations, I'm not burdened with preconceptions on what the movie should or should not have. I can just enjoy (or not enjoy them) as a fresh experience.

That said, Superman so far stands as my favourite - being my first superhero movie and still one of the more sensitive conversion made. I'm yet to see Spiderman, but our local critic, who follow the status quo and bag blockbuster movies were positive about it so now my interest is piqued. The first time I can recall a review influencing my decision.

saladin
06-08-2002, 12:49 AM
I think the x-men is really good, so's Spiderman, MIB was awsome, Spawn was Okay, Origanl 2 batmans were good, and origal superman were sweet.
I think Hulk, X-men2, and Daredevil will be good.
Worst is lat of batman, last of superman, punisher, and fantastic four.

die-jarjar-die
06-09-2002, 09:44 PM
Ok ........

Fav comic book to film conversions:

Batman
Superman
X-Men
Blade
Shadow (yes I know they've all been said before)

Worst comic book conversions:

Faust
Barb Wire
Spawn
Nick Fury: agent of Shield

the Punisher doesn't get a mention...its truely dreadful.*****I read a rumour in one of the Video Industry magazines my shop gets every week that they are planning to remake the Punisher & make it truer to the original soure material......*****

You guys keep ratting on Capt. America but which version do you mean? The original pilot movie? Or the 90's remake? both bad but the 90's one is far more upsetting a watch than the other...

& lastly I read a post earlier (sorry cant remember who posted it) who suggested that Neil Gaimans Sandman would make a great movie.........Sorry dude but I must disagree with you whole heartedly. I think it would be a dreadful movie. There is soooooo much back story & intricacy woven into that story that it would be impossible to make a decent film out of it.. but thats just IMO. I feel it would be as bad as making a movie of HELLBLAZER & calling it CONSTANTINE, getting Nic Cage to star in it & changing the main character from a Brit to a Yank because no one wants to see a Brit character as the star of a movie.....

***cough****JAMES BOND****cough***

NUFF SAID!

die-jarjar-die
06-09-2002, 09:46 PM
Comics to Movies I would like to see:

Batman Year One...now this is in the pipes...fingers crossed

Watchmen (although its highly unlikely they would do it the justice it deserves)

Marshal Law

Zenith

JediTricks
06-09-2002, 10:17 PM
Get this (I just posted this on the Scooby movie thread), during the press junket for Scooby Doo, Freddie Prinze Jr said he wanted to see the Captain America film start up so he could try to get the title role. Sounds to me like FPjr there just doomed that film and it hasn't even started production yet!!!

Beast
06-09-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Get this (I just posted this on the Scooby movie thread), during the press junket for Scooby Doo, Freddie Prinze Jr said he wanted to see the Captain America film start up so he could try to get the title role. Sounds to me like FPjr there just doomed that film and it hasn't even started production yet!!!
I thought the idea of Ben Affleck for Daredevil was an ok choice, but not how they should have went. I guess I will reserve judgment for the movie though. But dear gods, keep Freddie Prinze Jr. away from the role of Captain America. That's as bad or actually worse then the idea of having Nicolas Cage playing Superman. :eek: :dead:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
06-09-2002, 11:27 PM
I completely agree. Freddie Prinze Jr. should stay far away from Captain America. I thought I heard somewhere else that he was interested in other super hero characters he'd like to play. I hope he doesn't get the chance to play any of them. He would suck, and him as Freddie in the Scooby Doo movie is just plain horrible.

Beast
06-09-2002, 11:34 PM
As Caeser said in the Spider-Man thread, FPjr. wanted the role of Spider-Man. *shudder* I think I am going to be ill. :p :dead:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 09:39 PM
Heh heh, you know what would be sweet irony? Casting Prinze jr as Bucky!!! :D

jjreason
06-12-2002, 12:50 AM
How 'bout casting Jr. as the guy Daredevil thumps all the time for info on what Kingpin's up to? That way we can all beat him vicariously through Hornhead.