PDA

View Full Version : George is DEAD

stillakid
05-22-2002, 06:24 PM
Ok, I got your attention. ;)

Suppose George died tomorrow. Morbid, I know, but hey, it could happen.

Anyway, suppose he was just gone before Ep III was even completely written much less filmed and completed.

Who do you think he, that being George, would have finish the saga for him? That is, if he put that sort of thing in his Last Will and Testament, who would he want and trust to complete the Star Wars saga?

Spielberg?
Kasdan?
Alan Smithee?

Beast
05-22-2002, 06:44 PM
Probably noone, I don't think Lucas trusts the series with anyone but himself anymore. Though it depends, if the rights fall to his kids, then they will most likely have Episode 3 made. Who would do it is another matter, probably Rick McCallum, which is why we all better hope that Lucas is taking good care of himself. Can you imagine a Rick McCallum Star Wars movie. :eek:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
05-22-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Probably noone, I don't think Lucas trusts the series with anyone but himself anymore. Though it depends, if the rights fall to his kids, then they will most likely have Episode 3 made. Who would do it is another matter, probably Rick McCallum, which is why we all better hope that Lucas is taking good care of himself. Can you imagine a Rick McCallum Star Wars movie. :eek:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

F**k no!

JediTricks
05-22-2002, 07:02 PM
Probably Rick McCheese and Speilberg would be producers and get someone from the Dreamworks stable to direct the film.

Jason B
05-22-2002, 07:49 PM
doesnt he have a contigency plan for this exact occurence? I thought i heard that somewhere.....

Eternal Padawan
05-23-2002, 12:45 AM
If George died, it would open a flood gate of films, television series, and what not. His kids would rake every last cent they could get from the brand name.

derek
05-23-2002, 01:03 AM
yea EP, i wouldn't be suprised if we got a second trilogy. not the one after jedi, but one between episodes 3 and 4. i'd actually really like to see those 3 and then episode 4 would have to be retitled as episode 7! :crazed:

SithDroid
05-23-2002, 01:15 AM
What we really have to worry about is John Williams dying. Could you imagine EP III without the music of Williams? It wouldn't be SW.

derek
05-23-2002, 01:22 AM
nah, williams is good, but they have plenty of filler for the next film. heck, most of episode 2's soundtrack was reused from previous films.:)

Pendo
05-23-2002, 11:22 AM
If GWL died, he'd probably hand Star Wars over to Rick McCallum, and then McCallum would choose who would finishe it. Knowing Rick, he'd probably give it to Shawn and Marlon Wayans (Scary Movie) or something like that. That would be all we need - a stupid and slapstick Star Wars episode with Jar Jar being the main character!

If JW dies, I think there will be enough Star Wars music to edit into the movie, but I hope they don't get anyone to try and create new music for it (like Jerry Hey :eek: ).

Christopher Lee is getting on a bit, what if he passes away? I hope they won't try to replace him with a GCI Dooku!

Hopefully none of this will happen and noone out of Star Wars will pass away untill it is all complete.

PENDO!

bobafett07728
05-23-2002, 11:29 AM
Death can happen at any moment. . .why dwell on the "what ifs."
Samuel Jackson can die
Ewan McGreggor can die
Hayden Christiansen can die
Natalie Portman can die
Frank Oz can die
ANY of us can die and completely miss out on Episode III, and any other Star Wars lore that may come about.
Lets be thankful that our Star Wars universe is still intact, and look towards Episode III

stillakid
05-23-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Pendo
If GWL died, he'd probably hand Star Wars over to Rick McCallum, PENDO!

Just the way you wrote that makes it seem like those are his dying words:

"Riiickk."

"What! What is it, George?"

"Riiiiickkk. I wan....I want youu.....toooo..."

"Yes, yes!"

"acckckkkkkkkk"

":confused: "

":dead: "

"He must want me to take over Star Wars:eek: ! ALRIGHT!:D "

Lman316
05-23-2002, 12:01 PM
Okay, I know I'm probably setting myself up for something right here, but what is the problem with Rick McCallum?
I mean, I haven't seen enough of him to make any type of opinion about him (I've only seem little bits of stuff at the beginning of the SE VHS, talking about the Yuzzem and such).
I'm sure that most of you won't mind bashing Rick again to tell me what's wrong with him, but please enlighten me :crazed:. I'd like to be in on the "joke" that is Rick :D.

stillakid
05-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
Okay, I know I'm probably setting myself up for something right here, but what is the problem with Rick McCallum?
I mean, I haven't seen enough of him to make any type of opinion about him (I've only seem little bits of stuff at the beginning of the SE VHS, talking about the Yuzzem and such).
I'm sure that most of you won't mind bashing Rick again to tell me what's wrong with him, but please enlighten me :crazed:. I'd like to be in on the "joke" that is Rick :D.

For starters, he's not a director. See:

http://us.imdb.com/Name?McCallum,+Rick+(I)

And while Jonathan Hales, I believe, helped AOTC become the better movie that it is, even his history isn't all that impressive:

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Hales,+Jonathan

But a guy like Lawrence Kasdan, who I'll freely credit as being the reason ESB ranks so high amongst many of you, could a) write a great ending to the saga, and b) has the chops to direct Ep III in a fitting way that would help bridge the gap:

http://us.imdb.com/Name?Kasdan,+Lawrence

SithDroid
05-23-2002, 01:01 PM
I think that GL should have had Kasdan as his co-writer for TPM and AOTC, but that is just me. He has a great way of handling the story. Although there are movies he has written that I don't like such as Wyatt Earp and The Bodyguard, everything else he has done seems to be really quite decent. Not bad for ESB considering that was his first major screenplay.

2-1B
05-23-2002, 01:09 PM
So, all of you Kasdan/ESB buffs . . . do you also "credit" him for ROTJ? :D

SithDroid
05-23-2002, 01:17 PM
Yes, I like ROTJ. I don't see why people dislike it. Is it because of the Ewoks? Lets remember it was George's idea to change them from Wookies to Ewoks, so blame that on George.

stillakid
05-23-2002, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
So, all of you Kasdan/ESB buffs . . . do you also "credit" him for ROTJ? :D

Yes. There was nothing wrong with Jedi on a plot and writing level. The majority of the "criticism" I hear about that film is directed toward the Ewoks. But that's Lucas's call. Either way, I didn't see anything wrong with them. If there's any problem with that sequence at all, it's that fully armored soldiers get killed instantly by tiny arrows and little rocks. But Stormtroopers have never been portrayed on screen as ruthless as they are supposed to be. But I digress. If Kasdan had gotten just one shot at polishing the TPM script, I suspect that "our fan world" would be a far happier place.

JediTricks
05-24-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
If George died, it would open a flood gate of films, television series, and what not. His kids would rake every last cent they could get from the brand name. I have heard that Lucas has it in his will that the rights to Star Wars will disallow any future movie projects past Ep 3 and even his kids can't change that.

BTW, I credit director Irvin Kershner for the successes of ESB more than anybody else.

As for why I have no respect for Rick McYesman, it's because he's little more than Lucas' lap dog, the guy is a yes-man in the worst way - everything he says is about how things are Lucas' way or no way at all. A real producer would give Lucas honest opinions when something wasn't right rather than just repeat the LFL party line.

SithDroid
05-25-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
As for why I have no respect for Rick McYesman, it's because he's little more than Lucas' lap dog, the guy is a yes-man in the worst way - everything he says is about how things are Lucas' way or no way at all. A real producer would give Lucas honest opinions when something wasn't right rather than just repeat the LFL party line.

I agree JediTricks. What I don't understand is "Why does GL even need a producer?" I always thought the main job of the producer was to help fund the project and to get investors. Since GL is investing his own money, then what's Rick's job? More like Executive producer for going out and getting N'SYNC for Jedi.:rolleyes: I can't wait until EP III comes out so I can finally hear the last of Rick McCallum. I sure hope he has nothing to do with Indy 4.

stillakid
05-25-2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid

I agree JediTricks. What I don't understand is "Why does GL even need a producer?" I always thought the main job of the producer was to help fund the project and to get investors. Since GL is investing his own money, then what's Rick's job? More like Executive producer for going out and getting N'SYNC for Jedi.:rolleyes: I can't wait until EP III comes out so I can finally hear the last of Rick McCallum. I sure hope he has nothing to do with Indy 4.

The definition of "producer" sadly has been diluted in the past decade or so, but there is an actual function for one. The producer is (or should be) the unifying force behind the project. What this means is that he is the one responsible for making sure that no one, including the director, impresses their own "vision" upon the product as a whole insomuch as to make a negative impact upon the final result. For example, take an actor who takes a look at a script and "decides" to change major parts of the script in order to make his own part better but to the detriment of the rest of the project. Somebody has to step up to the plate and say no. That is the job of the Producer.

The Producer is also responsible for overseeing the logistics of the entire production. Each department is responsible for the particulars of their own needs, but consider the Producer as the Foreman of the whole enchilada. He is supposed to be aware of everything that is necessary to get the concept written into a script and everything else that takes it to the screen. The Producer should not only be capable of answering all the possible questions, he should be knowledgable enough to know what all the potential questions are before somebody else knocks on his door with a problem. Proper preparation by asking and answering questions before conflicts arise is the key role of the Producer.

The Executive Producer is typically a role covered by someone who is essentially out of the trenches. He/she may be part of the studio or production company in charge of financing the project. It is usually his job to keep tabs on the project to make sure that there are no unnecessary cost overruns.

Of course, there are a slew of "associate producers" and the like. While some may be legitimate as far as actually aiding in the physical production of a film, often times that title is thrown in as part of a deal, or payment.

In Rick's case, I assume that he is essentially taking the role of Line Producer which in effect is an overall coordinator much like I described in the Producer definition. He keeps tabs on the budget (although they most likely have a separate Unit Production Manager) and also is involved in the day to day mechanics of getting the film made. When the Director is also a member of the production company, or in the case of Lucas, is financing the project, Rick's job is to keep Lucas up to date on the financial progress of the project, but also to keep him uninvolved from the specifics so that he can concentrate on the creative requirements of directing the movie.

The obvious pitfall of this situation, is that with Lucas signing the checks, it isn't in Rick's best interest to question his decisions. If the film is a critical failure (as TPM was), Rick can point to the enormous box office totals as a kind of job security. That's the Hollywood way!

2-1B
05-25-2002, 03:03 AM
stillakid, I think you summed up Ricky's job pretty well. He clearly is there to make sure George gets what he wants creatively, so there is no job for him to do there. I've heard him talk about renegotiating contracts with the Fox Australia studios and such . . . and he seemed to be in touch with the principal cast members to make sure they were informed.
"Overall coordinator" sounds about right from what I've seen and heard from him. :)

Darth_Stevious
05-28-2002, 09:55 PM
I feel that GL is best suited for the role of producer and not director in these films. He is a logistical genious. He is able to pull together all of the resources needed to make the kind of movie he wants made. He has a great mind for story telling. He has a great eye for special effects. He just isn't a very good director of people. He has shown in the last two movies that he can't get the absolute best out of his actors. Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher have long been quoted as saying that GL's idea of direction is "just like last time, only faster".
But, GL is not going to give up the helm of Ep3. I just hope that he can continue to listen to the fan community and make even more improvements on the next film, just as he did between Ep1 and Ep2.

Darth Grifter
06-02-2002, 08:27 PM
The title alone of this thread got me in...Good job stillakid...

I have to say that the Rick McIHaveNoOpinionsButGLisRight title of "overall coordinator" seems to be a good term for him. I haven't ever heard him speak or anything but I think that his job and his status among the majority of us is defined.

If GL was to keel over tomorrow...Wow, I think that Kasdan would have to take over as the script man, however, the director slot seems kind of open...I really think that in all honesty it would be Ricky getting together with Speilberg and deciding, however, that would probably result in Jerry Brockhimer (sp) directing or Ang Lee or someone else completely hip on the pop movie scene and not someone with talent. Not saying that either of these men aren't talented, however I think that the decision would be made out of popularity and not out of justice to the series...there that's better.

But, say George lives, what about a more influential Assistant Director instead of the guy behind the guy who says cut when GL gives him a nod, etc. A more acting oriented Assistant Director to help these kids who have great potential to be more fluid and realistic on the screen. The modern filming industry has proven that all the young actors aren't getting real training in the techniques and methodologies of acting. GL seems to care more about action though, I mean he has Gillard (brilliant) for fight choreography and the guys at ILM for scenery, now he just needs a solid acting coach...

These are my thoughts...just thoughts...

InsaneJediGirl
06-03-2002, 04:42 PM
My solution to this : No one dies in the next 3 years!Thats an order!

If GL bites the big one before EpIII is completed,I feel no one should take over.Stop production,jumble all the film onto a DVD and release it.It would only do the line justice,since GL has stated that he dislikes people who mess up his movies.

LTBasker
06-04-2002, 03:43 AM
If that were to happen, they should let Steven take a crack at completing it, he might do a good job on it.