PDA

View Full Version : Grand Moff Tarkin???

BobaFett
05-22-2002, 06:03 PM
How did he ever suceed Vader in class?

Pendo
05-23-2002, 10:27 AM
Because it is Peter Cushing, that's why!!! :D

I have no idea, but who cares? It's only military rankings, Vader is a Sith and if the Emperor should ever die, Vader would shurley take his place to rule the galaxy, even if it means killing Tarkin. Tarkin is probably there just to make sure Vader doesn't try anything stupid, like go Padracing down the Death Star trench or something :D.

PENDO!

bobafett07728
05-23-2002, 10:33 AM
He didn't. Vader is sent to the Death Star by the Emperor, and therefore heeds Tarkin's "orders." This is somewhat similar to Maul being sent to Naboo with the Nemoidians. Vader could put Tarkin in the chokehold if he wanted. . .but would have had to face an unhappy Palpatine. Therefore, he looks like he is subserviant to Tarkin, but in reality has MUCH more power than the Grand Moff.

Darkross
05-23-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by bobafett07728
He didn't. Vader is sent to the Death Star by the Emperor, and therefore heeds Tarkin's "orders." This is somewhat similar to Maul being sent to Naboo with the Nemoidians. Vader could put Tarkin in the chokehold if he wanted. . .but would have had to face an unhappy Palpatine. Therefore, he looks like he is subserviant to Tarkin, but in reality has MUCH more power than the Grand Moff.

I agree...Vader is just following the Emperor's orders. By doing so, Tarkin let the Rebels destroy the Deathstar. That's why Vader takes command in ESB...and guess what...he manages to capture, Han, Leia, Chewy and lure Luke to him. Tarkin didn't do anything except be arrogant about the Rebel's chances of destroying the Deathstar. Tarkin's a LOSER....VADER RULES!

scruffziller
05-24-2002, 05:13 PM
Vader is an emissary of the emperor, like a avatar if you will his right hand man. Tarkin is really not over Vader and they are not really equals either. I am not sure if that makes sense, but that is how it was explained to me. When Tarkin told Vader to release (can't remember his name) from the death grip in ANH, it was just common courtesy he complied, it was not an order.

2-1B
05-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I like the arrangement of having Vader separate from the military. And since the Death Star is such a huge loss (ANH does work as a stand alone film afterall ;)) it makes sense that he would take a more direct lead in ESB (that and the quest for his son).

Or I could look at it this way: the Death Star is just one aspect of the military, at the beginning of ANH Vader is in charge of his Star Destroyer . . . really no different than in ESB.

chris
05-30-2002, 08:11 PM
Let's just say Vader could take tarkin anyday, and leave it at that.