PDA

View Full Version : If the recent figues (Fx-7) are any indication, Ep II figs will blow our socks off!!!

AmanaMatt
08-16-2001, 02:16 PM
wow, after seeing FX-7, Zutton, Rebel Trooper and the Imperial officer, I think we are going to get some super-crazy sculpts for the Ep II figures. The most recent figures in the POTJ line blow away anything Hasbro did during their EP I run.... kind of amazing what they are truly capable of. I can;t imagine the new FX-7 being any better than it is!

12inch Lando
08-16-2001, 07:14 PM
It could tap dance...:D

evenflow
08-16-2001, 07:53 PM
It looks like we are going to have a great time with all these excellant new figures.

JediTricks
08-17-2001, 02:18 AM
But... but I need my socks!

Annnyway, I hope you're right, but I hope Hasbro knows to use the realscan as a tool instead of a crutch. If they use realscan as a crutch to create the bodies, we'll get more statue figures.

jedibear
08-17-2001, 10:05 PM
....and hope that the Rebel Trooper is an idication of what to expect. I don't mind Hasbro cribbing off of other companys if it means we get great looking figures with good posability.

I think the RealScan stuff will be used more for the Action Collection than the standard figures...the sculpters Hasbro has working on the POTJ line lately have been outstanding without the use of RealScan.[COLOR=sienna][COLOR=chocolate][COLOR=teal]

GNT
08-18-2001, 12:12 AM
JT might be right the new figures could be more statues but whats new there?

Lobito
09-20-2001, 05:03 PM
I hope they find a way so that the figure does not just stand there like a statue, i know the looks are good, but we also want articulation.:D

JediCole
09-25-2001, 01:08 PM
I think if many of the newer figures are any indication, there will be no shortage of articulation and great looking sculpts. As for the use of the Real Scan technology, I have to agree that it will be more of a boon for the large figures. Despite the level of photo realistic accuracy that the technology provides, the smaller you get, the more you lose in the translation. However, the scans will allow a much better reference for the actors, masks, costumes and props than the biggest stack of studio reference photos.
A final note on articulation. I don't think there will ever be enough to satisfy some people. I am sure there are those who dream of one day having a figure with individually articulated fingers at each knuckle! And articulated eyes and eyelids. Fluid ball and socket hip joints for every conceivable pose. I guess I'm just one of those Star Wars toy vetrans who remembers what it was like to have an imagination.

Jargo
09-25-2001, 09:02 PM
MEEEEEAIOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

Ohh sugarhoney - you sho' am cookin' tonight! You sock it to 'em tiger! ;)

A little more fluidity of movement wouldn't go amiss. I've always prided myself on the fact that I sustained an exceptionaly dull childhood with my imagination as my only comfort. But even then I still wanted the damn figures to be able to sit down at least. I still want that and ball joint elbows and shoulders. I don't want the legs tight together like a virgin in a bikers bar but I don't want them in one pose action stances like Eeth Koth or Han Solo DS escape. For the size of the figure and the cost we should be getting more but we don't. So the least they can do is find somewhere in the middle of the two extremes and do a better job of not stuffing up with crap like a million pit droids and all the other endless millions of figures that now clog up stores in the real world and in cyberspace. If I ever see another Naboo Qui-Gon it'll be too much to bear and I may have to take some drastic anti toy company action....... GRRRRRRRRRRRR! :mad:

bigbarada
09-26-2001, 12:14 AM
We might want to rename this thread, "If Planet of the Apes and Lord of the Rings toys are any indication, Ep2 figures are going to blow big dingle-berries!"

:D

Turbowars
11-27-2003, 11:12 PM
Boy was this wrong. EP2 figures sucked crap!

2-1B
11-28-2003, 01:50 AM
Ahhhhhhh hahahahahahaha ! :p

Well I'm not totally against the AOTC line because there are several gems . . . but yeah, overall they were lacking. :)

But if we can count Bail Organa and Wat Tambor as "AOTC" figures (I know, they weren't part of the initial waves :) ) then I am even more embracing.

Dex and Typho are still my favorites from that period. :)

jjreason
11-28-2003, 02:24 AM
I thought there were more than a few good ones. Every "fringe" Jedi produced has been great (Nikto, Shaak Ti, Luminara and Barriss, Coleman, etc), and I love the 2nd basic Dooku (the 2003 one).

The electronic R2 from April 2002 is still my favourite first run Saga fig, looking back. It's amazing.

AmanaMatt
11-28-2003, 08:32 AM
Damn, I was pretty ignorant when I posted that. EpII could not have been worse. I hate almost every figure they put out. To be honest, I am bracing for the worst with EpIII

Kidhuman
11-28-2003, 09:23 AM
Ups and downs like most other lines. POTJ kicked so much butt, it ruined us for the rest.

Turbowars
11-28-2003, 10:50 AM
Damn, I was pretty ignorant when I posted that. EpII could not have been worse. I hate almost every figure they put out. To be honest, I am bracing for the worst with EpIIIWell not really, You and the rest of us didn't know the 1st waves were going to be crap. Like what was said, there are some good ones, but I think the bad clouds the good. There's a little geekness for you.:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-28-2003, 12:22 PM
The line was great in 1998, then it declined somewhat with Episode I in 99. It got better, then the awesome POTJ came along. After that, a decline (again!) with AOTC. They got better, and most of the 2003 and all of the 2004 figs are great. Based on this data, it's probably safe to say that 2005 will have some real stinkers, then some great stuf after that. :D

Turbowars
11-28-2003, 12:30 PM
I was thinking about this and I think hasbro knows or thinks that the figures will definitely sell when a movie is around. As the movie grows old and the hype is gone, Hasbro is forced to produce better toys so they will sell. It's just a theory.;)

LTBasker
11-28-2003, 01:05 PM
In short they have no idea what kids would like even though they use that as an excuse to create a half-baked product in movie years. Kenner's team was good at that, all the figures were compatible. Hasbro's team goes with one hit wonders.

AmanaMatt
11-28-2003, 09:22 PM
One thing I'd like for EpIII, I hope Hasbro goes back to using offset bubbles - these huge ones smack down in the middle of the card is killing my storage space.

Turbowars
11-28-2003, 09:48 PM
One thing I'd like for EpIII, I hope Hasbro goes back to using offset bubbles - these huge ones smack down in the middle of the card is killing my storage space.I doubt that will Happen Matt. I think Hasbro has fallen in love with the huge bubble.

JediTricks
11-29-2003, 02:44 AM
The electronic R2 from April 2002 is still my favourite first run Saga fig, looking back. It's amazing.Yeah, an amazing copy of the POTF2 Power F/X version. :D ;)

AmanaMatt
11-29-2003, 10:03 AM
I doubt that will Happen Matt. I think Hasbro has fallen in love with the huge bubble.

True, for a person like me that could store 18 or so figs per comic book long box, the fact that the Saga version can fit about 15 hurts, so man, I need some new storage boxes, I guess.

I like the new card look and the bigger bubble (which is purely annoying from the storage aspect alone). We'll see what Hasbro has in mind for the future - we really sure have gone through a lot of packaging looks this year - more than any other, when you take the Clone Wars line into account, as well as the SAGA look.

Kidhuman
11-29-2003, 12:40 PM
Matt, try buying the 50 gallonrubbermaid totes. You can fit a ton of them in there. I have em and it works great.

plo koon 200
11-29-2003, 01:26 PM
I only like the new bubble when they actually give us stuff like a base or a lot of accessories or a really big dude. But when we get a guy with no accessories like Palps I kind of think the bubble is a waste of space.

AmanaMatt
11-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Matt, try buying the 50 gallonrubbermaid totes. You can fit a ton of them in there. I have em and it works great.

Cool - are those the plastic boxes that have the flip open tops? Is the bottom flat?

Thanks.

Kidhuman
11-29-2003, 09:49 PM
Cool - are those the plastic boxes that have the flip open tops? Is the bottom flat?

Thanks.

Yes, somewhat flat but they rest on the humps. They workwell for us carded collectors