PDA

View Full Version : So, how good is Bespin Vader?

leenovak
05-23-2002, 08:45 AM
I just saw him at TRU, and he looks pretty decent but I thought I'd look for opinions of people who actually have him already. So, if you're so inclined, leave your mini-reviews here. :) I only have enough for one figure this week after paying for airfare and hotel to see my girlfriend....grrr, that was a hard call by the way. Meghan or Star Wars? Meghan or Star Wars?, etc....but I digress.

My 3 choices for a figure this week are Bespin Vader, Bespin Luke and Genosian Mace. Any suggestions?

jblodgett
05-23-2002, 08:50 AM
If I was taking one of those 3, I would take the Bespin Luke. He is a really good figure. Good pose. Good posability. Good accessories. His hand comes off. He looks like he's had the crap beat out of him.

I like the Bespin Vader, but he is really a fairly limited figure. First of all- he suffers from the same problem as Dooku- his cape doesn't stay on very well. And if you want to make his "action" work, then the cape is definitely coming off. His pose is still pretty cool- but you've either got to hold him with his right arm up and his left arm down, or you've got to pose him with his left arm up and his right arm down.

I like the Vader fig-- but I'd take the Bespin Luke if I could only choose one.

Rogue II
05-23-2002, 08:55 AM
I have both Bespin figures. I like them both. My biggest complaint is that Vader's cape falls off easily. Both figures have buttons on their backs for the swinging action. Luke is pretty poseable. He can hold his saber with 2 hands and his legs are articulated. Vader is more pre-posed.

I say skip a meal or eat something cheap like Raman noodles and get both of those 2. No one seems to like the Mace figure. But, if you can only pick 1....I'd have to say Luke.

JEDIpartner
05-23-2002, 09:02 AM
I haven't had as much of a problem with Vader's cape as I've had with Dooku's. The funny thing with Vader's cape is that it appears to stay on better when my finger is on the button!

It's a nice scuplt, but I am SO not into these heavy plastic capes. They just look too heavy. It's a good figure though. Honestly... you can't get Luke without the Vader...

Darth Pug
05-23-2002, 09:11 AM
I have both Vader & Luke, they look great. Luke is more detailed, but I like Vader's eye because of the color tint of the lens.

leenovak
05-23-2002, 09:11 AM
Well, you have convinced me....I'll skip lunch today and get them both. After all, I guess you're right, you can't have one without the other.

I agree about the cape issue...I wish they'd include a decent soft Vader cape, that would be nice. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the soft Jedi capes, they look a little bulky.

Taichi
05-23-2002, 09:14 AM
Hurmph....

Well, I like the Geonosian Rescue Mace, because I'm a big fan of Mace......

maybe that's why......

Forhekset
05-23-2002, 09:14 AM
I agree with JEDIpartnr, you gotta have both. I picked 'em both up last night and they rule. Vader's a statue but the sculpt and detail are supreme. His cape hasn't fallen off even once for me though. The cape looks rather good btw for a molded plastic cape. I haven't been using his action feature because I think most of them are lame. Luke is very poseable and is also great in terms of sculpt and detailing. He even has a working holster :)

You can wait for Geo. Mace...he was already warming pegs at Target last night. I think he's a cool figure but apparently I'm in the minority.

JEDIpartner
05-23-2002, 09:18 AM
You ARE in the minority! Hahaha... I hate that figure. I still like YOU, though! :happy:

DarthMaulSithLord
05-23-2002, 09:39 AM
I don't have any of those figs, but i suggest you stay away of Mace Geonosis Rescue. I haven't heard a sincle positive remark about that figure.

:)

Forhekset
05-23-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
You ARE in the minority! Hahaha... I hate that figure. I still like YOU, though! :happy:

Well uh..uh...he's better than Anakin OPD! So there.

OriginalBryGuy
05-23-2002, 09:51 AM
My only complaint is that his hand is open, while the picture on the box has his hand in a fist. If you look on the back of the "Empire Strikes Back" movie on VHS (non special edition) you do see his hand is open. Why didn't they just use that pic.

I'd say once they figure this out watch for a variation that uses the correct pic.

figrin bran
05-23-2002, 11:10 AM
the sculpt on the Vader figure is great but i'm not thrilled at all about the peg sticking out of the rear that you press for the "lightsaber slashing action" feature. i'd say get the Luke because if nothing else, you can hang him from the weathervane.

QLD
05-23-2002, 11:14 AM
Get Vader and Luke.

It's like Peanut Butter and Jelly.

You can eat them seperately, but they are made for each other.

leenovak
05-23-2002, 11:20 AM
Why doesn't the Genosian mace come with any accessories? The one I picked up had just him and his lightsaber, nothing else. Compare that to the accessories for the 2 Bespin Duel figures and I can see why poor Mace is peg-warming...sheesh.

Jonna
05-23-2002, 11:26 AM
The thing about the new Vader and Luke figures is the accessories. They are by far the best produced with any SW figures. Lets hope that Hasbro keeps it up.

Fixer
05-23-2002, 12:36 PM
I just picked up Vader at lunch today, and haven't had the chance to open him yet. Overall, he looks good, but they goofed on the inner cape/tunic sculpt. In ESB (and ROTJ) it was under the breastplate - as shown on the card picture. The figure has the tunic over the breastplate (as in ANH).

Jaina Solo
05-23-2002, 02:56 PM
I think Geo Mace is still warming the pegs 'cause he sucks, but that's just a personal opinion. Didn't someone around here call him Primal Scream Mace?

Anyway...Bespin Luke and Vader. For those of you who've opened your Lukes, does the hand attatch/detatch with a magnet?

leenovak
05-23-2002, 03:14 PM
The early variations did use a magnet, the one I have a chance to get uses the peg.

Forhekset
05-23-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
I think Geo Mace is still warming the pegs 'cause he sucks, but that's just a personal opinion. Didn't someone around here call him Primal Scream Mace?

Anyway...Bespin Luke and Vader. For those of you who've opened your Lukes, does the hand attatch/detatch with a magnet?

I and many others have called ol' Mace many things. :) I still like him though. I think the fact that he doesn't have a blank stare on his face like some of the figs makes him pretty interesting.

Anywayz, I just picked up 3 bloody/magnet Bespin Lukes last night. Seems maybe stores in my area are just now getting the Bespin wave in large quantities, so it's still possible to find the blood/magnet versions at stores I would think. It's a pretty strong magnet btw.

JediTricks
05-24-2002, 08:51 PM
I don't think that highly of Bespin Vader, his legs are very bland in terms of pose, his torso/waist area is gappy thanks to the action gimmick, his torso is sculpted as if he was twisting/leaning but the rest of the figure doesn't look like that; then there is the over-posed "windblown" cape and skirt which don't look right from some angles and the cape keeps coming off on mine. He's not a terrible figure, but I have purchased better Vaders.