PDA

View Full Version : Do kids even like Star Wars any more?

brentfett
05-23-2002, 01:04 PM
This thread was inspired by some comments in another thread I read earlier. I was just thinking, do kids even still enjpy Star Wars movies anymore? I'm talking younger kids. I had to laugh when I went to see AOTC and a few little kids were sitting near me. When Anakin and Padme entered the droid factory and the environment turned dark and a little creepy one of the kids whispered to his dad "I thought you said this wasn't a scary movie." Pretty funny. But that got me wondering. I mean the movies are generally pretty loud, tons and tons of people get killed usually, severed limbs, geonosians getting smushed on red hot conveyer belts, just LOOK at darth maul!, I just can't imagine little kids still enjoying these movies. Maybe some of you out there with kids can shed some light on this. It seems as if Star Wars has evolved (or de-evolved) into a more "mature" fairy tale.

browndroid
05-23-2002, 01:11 PM
well i know i like it, and i know alot of young children that do, i dont think that the young children like the "old" movies, but i see little kids buying figures and talking about star wars all the time

Jargo
05-23-2002, 01:22 PM
My nephew Thom likes star wars. he hasn't seen AOTC yet and his journey started with the OT when he was just tiny. he went to see TPm and he loved it and loved JarJar. he likes Darth maul and all the Jedi swordplay. he likes the space battles and the droid battles. he turned his toy royal starship into a troop transport for battle droids the other day. He likes all the action but hates the long dialogue sections and senate scenes. he doesn't understand the politics or the over all plot yet but he's only six. he doesn't find it scary but more like thrilling. he hides when maul first shows up but then starts yelling out what happens next to me. he jumps around during the saber battles and makes the lightsaber noises along with his videotape. Even repeating some of the dialogue as it's spoken. I can't wait to find out what he thinks of AOTC. I think he's going to want to get a load of clonetroopers but he might just want Anakin instead and a few Geonosians to squish. he'll love the speeder chase. My only worry is that he'll fling himself off the top of the stairs trying to freefall like Anakin or smash up the place with a toy lightsaber after he sees the Jedi fighting.
But I'd say that there are still some younger kids who enjoy star wars. I encourage Thom as much as I dare and try to keep him interested by getting him toys and stuff.
I don't know about kids younger than that though, star wars isn't meant for kids really though. Uncle george reckons he makes it for twelve year olds and my other twelve year old nephew isn't the slightest bit interested anymore. He looks at star wars the way a scientist studies a germ - curious, but not involved in any way.

Rogue II
05-23-2002, 02:06 PM
I don't think any of the new movies will ever be as influential on children as the OT. We (those of us that were kids between 77-83) didn't have as many choices of entertainment as the kids of today do. I don't think Tron, Battlestar Gallactica, Buck Rogers, or
even the Black Hole even compare to all of the tv shows and movies of today (Power Rangers, Pokeman, Dragon Ballz, and any other Marvel/DC comic superhero).

Yeah, sure, some kids might like it, but it won't be their primary focus like it was of the children 25 years ago.

Wookiee
05-23-2002, 02:32 PM
When I first saw ESB, I was only about 5 or 6 and I remember thinking Yoda was kinda scary.

brentfett
05-23-2002, 02:47 PM
That's another good point Jargo that I forgot to mention, the long dialogue. I mean I enjoy all the political mumbo jumbo, and I think it was something the OT lacked, but little kids have gotta be squirming during these parts.

scruffziller
05-23-2002, 03:04 PM
I thought all the creatures in ROTJ in Jabba's palace were rather scary. Star Wars doesn't mean anything to little kids now like it did to us when we were kids who grew up with it. The kids are seeing Star Wars as it would have been from beginning to end.

Casual George
05-23-2002, 04:07 PM
I've seen the film twice now and in both I saw kids from 4 years up to teens and they all seems to love the film. The coolest part is how jazzed they got when Yoda force grabs his light saber and begins to battle Dooku. The applause in the theater were deafening!!

MikeAndTheBots
05-23-2002, 04:17 PM
When i saw it the second time, there were a bunch of kids there. Not that young, probably between 9 and 11.

plo koon 200
05-26-2002, 08:34 PM
When I was a little kid it amazed when I saw Aldeeran blow up. Each time I saw it I was amazws at the Death Star and that scene.

Fulit
05-26-2002, 08:51 PM
When I went to see it for the second time, there were two kids, about 7-9, behind us who kept pretty quiet through the first 3/4's (let's face it, the boring parts) but when the arena battle, then the clones vs. droids battles started, they began chattering and squealing all over the place. Then, when the Yoda fight scene happened, I thought they were going to explode. It was kind of annoying, but you can't really get mad at them for liking it. They were freaking out, though.

jjreason
05-26-2002, 11:06 PM
My first viewing of AOTC was in a small theatre on the first Saturday after release at 2pm. Needless to say every kid in town was there with bells on. Based on the loud "oohs and ahhs", as well as the cheers for Yoda, Id have to say kids do still like it. I would agree that many kids have more diverse tastes now, there are numerous other "cool" things to be into besides Star Wars. When I was young (born in 72, so I was about as influenced as anyone by SW) SW was pretty much all I cared about. I had a number of friends who were the same. The toys played as large, if not a larger, role in our love for SW than the movies. Nowadays there are many, many cool toys to choose from - comparable in price, looks and style. How does a kid know what to choose? In our time SW was the only small action figure line on the market (soon to be followed by Micronauts and then the "Dark Side", the SW toy killer known as GI Joe). The odds are against kids loving SW exclusively, but Im convinced they still love it. My daughter roots in my figures for hours on end, and as long as Im there she watches the movies and asks endless questions. She's 3.

stillakid
05-27-2002, 12:09 AM
My son (7) enjoys Star Wars, but not to the extent that I do. There is a lot more for him to be interested in that is far more accessible than a once every three years franchise. Pokemon and Digimon are his favorites. He still enjoys playing with my toys, but only on infrequent occasions.

We do have all four available SW movies at home, and if he does want to watch any of them, he more often than not chooses one of the OT over Ep I.

He has seen Ep II, but wasn't ga ga over it. It was also very long, especially for a little kid. The last time he did sit down to watch EP I at home, he fell asleep once the heroes landed on Tatooine.

From all the first graders that I've talked to in his class, only one is really interested in Star Wars. Most of the others have only a passing interest in it. It certainly isn't reaching out and grabbing them like it did for our generation. By the way, I am 33 and was in 2nd grade (I think, if I did the math right) when ANH came out.

Eternal Padawan
05-27-2002, 01:13 AM
My four year old went and fell asleep the first time. She woke up when R2 is rolling towards the funeral of Shmi and yells "Hey! Look! R2!"

The second time she sat thru the whole thing. She became particularly attentive when Yoda or another Digital alien was onscreen. Jar Jar, Watto, etc. The acklay (especially its scream)scared her and so did the kouhouns. When we left she was humming the Imperial March in her carseat on the way home. Bless her.

And let's not forget all of dad's toys at home. She really likes the massiff ( or the "doggy" as she calls it) and all her new Playskool stuff.

Kids still love Star Wars.

bigbarada
05-27-2002, 06:28 AM
Everytime I go to the Ep2 toy aisle I have to dodge kids rummaging through the pegs. At the movie theater, when showings of Star Wars sold out throughout the day, I got to listen to lots of kids whining that they had to settle for Spider-Man.

So YES, kids love Star Wars and the phenomenon seems to be starting all over again with Ep2.:cool:

2-1B
05-28-2002, 03:38 AM
The little guy running back and forth in the aisle making swooshing lightsaber sounds during the arena battle while his father did nothing but watch the film seemed to like Star Wars. :rolleyes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-28-2002, 09:57 PM
I'm 12, I like the s*** out of it! :D

I think it was funny, though, when Jango got his head chopped off, a little kid started crying! Classic!

JetsAndHeels
05-28-2002, 10:01 PM
Oh yes, that was just hillarious!!
(insert sarcasm here).

Laserbrain
05-30-2002, 01:30 AM
I don't know about you all, but I was scared to death by the creatures when I was a kid. The thing in the trash compactor, the wampa, the space worm hand puppet, the Rancor, Jabba's court, the Emperror, and of course Darth Vader!

Even the carbon unfreezing freaked me out!

stillakid
05-30-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Laserbrain
I don't know about you all, but I was scared to death by the creatures when I was a kid. The thing in the trash compactor, the wampa, the space worm hand puppet, the Rancor, Jabba's court, the Emperror, and of course Darth Vader!

Even the carbon unfreezing freaked me out!

Those flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz gave me nightmares and that kid-catcher guy in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Ooh. (shiver):(

But I don't recall ever getting scared by any SW characters.

figrin bran
05-30-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by stillakid

Those flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz gave me nightmares...Ooh. (shiver):(

But I don't recall ever getting scared by any SW characters.

no kidding! especially during that scene where they are marching inside the castle. and chanting.

Fulit
05-30-2002, 09:57 AM
My 3 year old is beginning to watch some of the movies, and when the music gets ominous, he backs up, and when Darth Vader appears, he says "I'm not goin' watch it"! and runs from the room. Last night, he woke up at 1 A.M. yelling, "I'm not goin' watch it"! :( His first SW-induced nightmare. Awwww!

He watched most of the Phantom Menace, though, and didn't really get scared of Darth Maul, so that shows, after all these years, who the man still is. He didn't like it when Darth Maul "got" Qui-Gon, though.

Then at the end, when they're having the celebration, he says "I don't see Qui-Gon. Where's Qui-Gon"? How do you explain to a 3 year old about a character in a movie dying? I guess you don't.

stillakid
05-30-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Fulit

Then at the end, when they're having the celebration, he says "I don't see Qui-Gon. Where's Qui-Gon"? How do you explain to a 3 year old about a character in a movie dying? I guess you don't.

I remember seeing ROTJ on screen back in the day with a theater full of little kids. When that Ewok got toasted and didn't get up, there was a sudden surge of whispers. Kids asking their parents why that Ewok wasn't getting up. Something that doesn't seem so traumatic to adults can be a big deal to a little kid. If I'm remembering correctly, ROTJ was one of the first movies to deal with complaints about the PG rating system. Of course, Temple of Doom was the straw that broke the camel's back and PG 13 was introduced.

Master Goeweins
05-30-2002, 03:49 PM
My friend and I have seen it together a few times now, and there are always little kids there. And they all seem spellbound!
My friends 4 year old boy went with us and afterwards we had lightsaber figts in the parking lot. He talks SW nonstop, even to the point of remembering the colors of each Jedi's lightsabers.

I was 3 for ANH and the only reason I saw it in the theatres originally was because my mom loved it and took me 9 times.
It dosn't matter if the kid chooses it or not, the story and the characters are so great it gets them everytime.

BTW, my mom still goes to see the midnight release even today.
Star Wars flat out rocks every generation!

Jayspawn
05-31-2002, 12:48 PM
Kids still LOVE Star Wars. At the restraunt I work at, some kids about 4 or 5 were in with their familys and all of them had toy lightsabers and were calling eachother 'Star Wars' names.

mrmiller
05-31-2002, 01:25 PM
I remeber seeing Star Wars ANH when I was 5. The Trash Compactor Monster (Dodonga?) gave me nightmares. I don't rememeber this, but my mother said I wouldn't even take a bubble bath for a while afterwords.

I've seen ATOC 3 times now, and there are always a lot of kids there. After the movie is over it seems like they are all hyped up and talking about how great this was and how cool this guy is. Funny thing is most of the adults are criticing every little thing, while the kids focus on the parts they like.

Vortex
05-31-2002, 02:32 PM
Getting back to the main topic...I think kids do like star wars, but it won't be as big for them as it was with us gen-x folk. Star wars will always be a college cult flick like Rocky Horror, and Clockwork Orange, and Monty's P's Holy Grain flick. Kids these days have too many things trying to get their attention...nintendo, netscape, cable TV.

Locally here, the little kids aren't as crazy for star wars as we were. I remember pitching fits in the stores when I didn't get a new figure. Kids these days grew up with other things other than action figures and they have more outlets for entertainment.
They have the net, pokeman card games, multiple video game systems, countless cartoon stations. They don't have to entertain themselves as much as we had to. I don't see kids crying to get a padme, or ani at the stores. They seem to be like, ok, cool I got something. On the 23rd of April when the figs were out a mom was trying to talk her 2 kids into picking out some figs, but they just weren't interested.

We had cartoon in the morning until we went to school, and cartoons from the time we got home till dinner. I had a computer but you could only play defender or space invaders, pac-man or pong for so long. Times are changing and heck look at our parents, my dad still tells stories of when they would play cops and robbers or cowboys and indians all day long. Gene Autry, the stooges, are still some of his boyhood favorites.

I think the craze for star wars isn't as great as it used to be, or was with us? I wonder if we'll see Ani folders, pencils, trapper keepers, stickers for the next school season, sheets, curtains, etc.

But I think the younger generation are into other things, and the star wars saga is just another entertaining movie(s) to them.

Master Goeweins
06-01-2002, 12:38 AM
I think that the true difference lies in the times. When we were young, marketing was totally different. There were no other movie properties making bed covers, sheets or school products on that scale. Not until after even ESB. So yes it will be different for kids today, not because it dosn't grab the kids but because there are so many other movie properties absolutley flooding the market. Spiderman, Harry Potter, and every Jurassic Park movie still litter aisles in every store department.

The only thing that moves the Star Wars stuff faster is the Gen-Xers that collect it all, be it nostalgia or current fascination. I still think that it grabs the kids more than other movies, it's just that marketing has changed so significantly that it won't be as apparent in the kids.

Jedikmg
06-01-2002, 01:14 PM
I wasn't born when the OT was released. I am only 17 years old. I was first introduced to star wars by my Uncle when i was about 7 or 8. Then in 1995 when the POTF 2 was released i bought them all. I know all my friends became intrested in star wars when the Special Edtions came out, but there intrest didn't last.

The first and second time i saw Episode 2 there have been little kids sitting behind me(not a good thing). The first time the girl wispered to the dad questions and he awnsered them and even ruined what was going to happen next for my non-spoiled friend.

The other lil kid screamed(excitement not fear) whenever 3PO or Yoda came on screen.

Obi-Don
06-02-2002, 06:03 AM
My 5 year old girl has pretty much grown up with SW. Like she had any choice. When the previews started about the new SW movie. All I heard was"I got to see that, will you take me". Made my heart fill with joy and all I could do is hope that in her life Star Wars will have a meaning to her in some way as it does for me. Will it mean as much to them as it does to us that grew up with the OT, I don't know. Maybe with the new movies it will take on a different meaning. One that we and the new Star Wars fans can share.

yodajedimaster01
06-02-2002, 06:48 AM
I'm 14 and I collect Star Wars and love all the movies. I also like talking about it and everything. The new movie really got me into all the new figures.

jjreason
07-07-2002, 11:35 PM
Before I sign off for the night, i just wanted to relay a personal experience that leads me to believe the answer to the question posed is a resounding "yes".
My wife and I took our daughter to her first theatre movie last night. It was AOTC (of course). She has seen the other SW movies at home, and I had told her there was a new show - of course I had to take her. After some explaining that it wasn't appropriate to holler out comments during the opening crawl "Ooooh, Daddy likes that music!!!!" she settled in and watched the entire movie from front to back without a) going to the bathroom b) getting us ejected for excessive noise. Her reactions to certain parts were so wonderful. During the Coruscant chase her eyes were very bright and wide open. She looked over at me with a huge grin and said "They're going fast!", when Ani and Padme were doing the "Sound of Music" bit kissing on Naboo, she was smiling sweetly and holding mom's and my hands. During the final battle she jumped when the Nexu leaped at Padme, and said "Good!" when the "scary cat" was kicked down the pole.
It was fantastic to see someone watch the show without nitpicking actor's performances or searching aggressively for seams showing on some of the effects. Her unabashed amazement at the sights before her rekindled my appreciation for the effect Star Wars had on me as a child.
I hope some of you can see the movie in the theatre with a young one that you love. It will really freshen your perspective on the saga to see the movie through their eyes.

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-08-2002, 10:41 AM
a lot of kids still like star wars like this ten year old when i went to see star wars on thet hrid day it was relased(second time seeing it)this kid kept on saying "Yoda....cool....Yo..DA!cool"and then when count dooku he said "Darth Vader COOL!"he was in the row above me and he kept on saying that he sounded wired really wired that was wired and then when anakin starts killing the tusken raiders he said "Anakin not good!not good at all"wired little kids these days

Needles
07-22-2002, 11:42 AM
today,the older kids dont really care for Star wars,they just want to be athletic,looking cool,acting cool,and listening to rap.they may like it,but wont buy anything Star wars related.

stillakid
07-22-2002, 08:11 PM
My 60 year old mother just finally got around to seeing AOTC and she says she really liked it. Much better than Episode I, she said with just a bit of disgust in her voice about that one.

I don't know anymore about the kids thing. Maybe they have shorter attention spans than we did, but the kids that I've talked to (many many many) all really like Star Wars stuff, but it's more like a flash in the pan for most of them. Pokemon and Digimon are far more likely to hold their attention over an extended period of time (weeks and months). If Star Wars stuff is in front of them, they'll show interest. But they actually seek out the other things like Pokemon. That's what I've been observing lately anyway.

Lobito
07-22-2002, 09:06 PM
I'm sure most of them dont like SW as we did waaay back in the late 70's and early 80's. Sure they like SW...but its different now...SW was the 1st now there are lots of movies with great stories etc. But for me SW will always be No.1

Thats it!!:D

Chiesa
07-23-2002, 03:34 AM
I definitely remembered my first Star Wars experience when I was like 6 or 7... I didn't really understand what was going on but only kinda got the idea that Luke was going to kick some Empire ***!! I only remembered that I just kept watching EPIV's space scene... imagining I was a pilot, red-7... But of course things are really different now...

I have a nephew who is like 3 yrs old now... And I was watching AOTC with him and my Bro-in-law... I saw him totally enjoying the Coruscant chase the most and also the arena scene... After the movie I basically thought him "mayb the force be with you" and during dinner he was like repeating "may the pores be fith you" or something like that... Basically I think kids still do enjoy the movie maybe not for its plot as they may not really understand them... But rather they still enjoy it for all the cool action scenes...

Oh well at least that is just what I think and I hope that kids and adults likewise will continue to enjoy the movie! :)

scruffziller
07-23-2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Everytime I go to the Ep2 toy aisle I have to dodge kids rummaging through the pegs. At the movie theater, when showings of Star Wars sold out throughout the day, I got to listen to lots of kids whining that they had to settle for Spider-Man.

So YES, kids love Star Wars and the phenomenon seems to be starting all over again with Ep2.:cool:
WEll that is good to know, I was just about to post something that says little kids don't have the right to like STAR WARS like we do. I always felt robbed of Hasbro trying to pan the ideas of what they should make for the figs because they said 50% of their customers are kids. BUt I found that hard to believe, and angry that they kept making 50 versions of Luke and more resculpts of everything except for figs that haven't been made.

scruffziller
07-23-2002, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by -JediMaster-Yoda-
a lot of kids still like star wars like this ten year old when i went to see star wars on thet hrid day it was relased(second time seeing it)this kid kept on saying "Yoda....cool....Yo..DA!cool"and then when count dooku he said "Darth Vader COOL!"he was in the row above me and he kept on saying that he sounded wired really wired that was wired and then when anakin starts killing the tusken raiders he said "Anakin not good!not good at all"wired little kids these days
Sounds like that kid might have been autistic or some other kind of mental handicap. I remember an autistic kid back in the early 90s that would chant everything about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

JON9000
07-23-2002, 04:49 PM
My mom is a teacher and on the last day of class she showed Star Wars on the TV. She said the kids loved it. They all cheered when the Millenium Falcon came out of nowhere to blast Darth Vader.