PDA

View Full Version : SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Quarterfinals - Fight 1!!!

Tycho
05-24-2002, 12:51 AM
Here we go! Tonight is the first night of the SSG Battle of the Machines QUARTERFINALS!

Over the past 16 weeks, you've picked the most favored Star Wars ships and vehicles that you think are up to the challenge of squaring off to see which is the best Hasbro Star Wars vehicle of all time!

Tonights contestants are battle-hardened classic favorites returning to the Dog Fight each with one victory carbon-scorched into their hulls!

It's the X-wing versus the TIE Interceptor!

The Electronic X-wing Fighter was about $30.00 and featured opening wings with linked fly-by sound effects that you activate by pushing a dedicated R2-D2's head down. A remote trigger makes laser-blast flash noises. The landing gear comes down manually, and the cockpit holds one action figure!

To get here the X-wing Fighter defeated the standard TIE Fighter 81-41 or by 66 % of the vote with 122 SSG forumites voting!

The Galactic Empire’s TIE Interceptor features highly detailed sculpted solar panels, split in two, with each tip mounted with a laser cannon designed to let the pilot capture a target in a crossfire between at least 2 cannons at any time. At the touch of a button, either solar panel can be ejected off to simulate battle damage to recreate the climactic clash over the Death Star II. The Interceptor also includes one pilot figure, a slight variation of the TIE Fighter Pilot collectors found carded a few years ago.

To get here the TIE Interceptor defeated the Rebel Alliance's A-wing Fighter 50-28, or by 64 % of the vote with 78 SSG forumites voting!

So which will it be? The X-wing or the Interceptor? Only one of these starfighters will survive to go into the Semi-Finals! You will choose which it will be!

Vote and then post your preference. Those who've posted will be subscribed to this thread and be able to come back and help rank the classic fighter craft that have already been 'doomed!'

To fans of the A-wing or Standard TIE Fighter, this will be especially important. But first we need to see a score hit between the X-wing and the Interceptor before I can show you how the rest of the ranking will be done!

VOTE NOW and remember to post!

Let the fighting begin!

2-1B
05-24-2002, 12:58 AM
The Interceptor avenges the loss of its TIE predecessor! :D

Beast
05-24-2002, 01:03 AM
Gonna have to go with the TIE Interceptor in this match, for the same reason that I had to go with it when it was up against the A-Wing. The TIE Interceptor is a great looking pretty much in scale vintage re-issue. Only way it could be better, is if they would have resculpted the rear end of the ship to get rid of the battery compartment. Having the solar panals being sculpted instead of stickers gives it mooie mooie bonus points in my book.

As for the X-Wing, it's nice but way to small. If it was the Power FX version in the match up it would be a harder choice. The upcoming ESB X-Wing more then makes up for the failings of the regular basic X-Wing though. But, I guess I just prefer the unique shapes of the Imperial Ships made as toys, over the usual rocketship style of most of the rebels fighters. The Y-Wing is a Rebel Fighter design I do like though. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
05-24-2002, 01:10 AM
TIE Interceptor all the way!

This thing just plain rocks. ;)

JediTricks
05-24-2002, 03:07 AM
I loved Luke's X-wing... when I was 6! This ship is cute, and I suppose an adequate toy for little ones, but it's woefully inaccurate and not up to the quality of the modern Star Wars line.

I picked the A-wing over the TIE Int, but I'd pick the TIE Int over the original X-wing any day.

aharry
05-24-2002, 03:21 AM
The Interceptor just looks better. I always thought the wings on the X-wing should have been longer. Compared to all of the latest ships being released (Interceptor, Bomber, B-Wing), it really looks like a runt. The Talking X-Wing is a much better representation, but came at a bigger price. Go Interceptor!!!:)

bigbarada
05-24-2002, 03:34 AM
Looks like I'm the oddball here. The Interceptor was alright, BUT I was really, really, R-E-A-L-L-Y irritated by it's supersoft bendy wings. So much so that after owning it for a week I traded it to my brother for his A-Wing (now you know how I voted in the other poll).

So, I pick the X-Wing by default, simply because I think Hasbro really dropped the ball with the Interceptor. Not that I like the X-Wing, it's pretty bad in many respects; but I REALLY don't want the Interceptor to win.

Jon
05-24-2002, 07:21 AM
I gotta go with the X-Wing it was the first reissue vehicle I picked up and I just love the shape. I also like the Interceptor the best of all the TIE's but there is something classic about the X-Wing that just puts it over the top

jedi master sal
05-24-2002, 07:33 AM
I have to say the X-WING. The inteceptor is just some rehashed design while the x-wing though reminiscent of modern day planes is a unique design. All of the Rebellions ships were—x,y,a,b wings.

Rogue II
05-24-2002, 08:25 AM
I wanted to vote against the TIE Interceptor to revenge the A-Wing, but I couldn't. I like it much better than this particular X-Wing.

stillakid
05-24-2002, 10:17 AM
It was a tough decision, but I went with the X-Wing. The TIE Int. is a great looking ship, but it's features had so much more potential. The X-Wing, while fallling short of it's cousin (Power FX) still is a better designed toy overall than the TIE. Movable wings, sound FX, landing gear. Maybe if the TIE would have come with a cool docking bracket or something my vote would've swung that way, but...

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2002, 11:51 AM
I went with the TIE because I'm a sucker for pack-in figures. Granted, he's not the best looking pack-in, but what's a ship without a pilot?

Darth Grifter
05-24-2002, 12:33 PM
:D The TIE Interceptor definetly over the x-wing. Although the x-wing holds a tremendous sentimental value in my heart as my first star wars toy that was lost years ago...it does not compare to the sleak design of the interceptor...

NiktosRule
05-24-2002, 01:48 PM
Neither of these ships are the best but I like the Interceptor a little more. The X-wing is just too puny looking.

Wow this is a close vote. My vote put the Interceptor up by only one.

bigbarada
05-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Geez! 68 for the Interceptor, 66 for the X-Wing. We've got a close one here.

chrisc
05-24-2002, 03:32 PM
I gatta go for the Inteceptor. The X-Wing was way to small and cheap lookin.

Tycho
05-24-2002, 03:48 PM
Note I added the instructions for new voters to post their choice, too.

So we avoid ugly debates like who won between the Tank and the Skiff, if it is this close, I'm hand-counting posts as well as votes!

The TIE Interceptor looks like it's winning on both counts.

Ah, too bad. I voted for the X-wing! Electronic movie sounds are too cool! I wish they'd make a TIE with the fly-by and laser rattle-snake sounds!

But the majority of the posts and the majority of the votes should match up before we declare a winner.

In preliminary fight 13, I'm still thinking the skiff was artificially promoted, and the tank is going into the quarterfinals unless enough individuals support the skiff (which won the numbers count by 1 vote). It's the only way to keep these contests tamper-proof (at least in theory). If that doesn't work, then somebody really has too much time on their hands.

Meanwhile, this contest really does look like it's THAT close between the X-wing (with sounds) and the Interceptor (with a figure). It will be interesting to watch this contest and see what happens.

Lord Tenebrous
05-24-2002, 05:05 PM
I'm going with the X-wing, because I feel that it's the hardier toy. The Interceptor is like so many figures in the new Saga line - soft plastic, increasingly tiresome battle damage, and a look of fragility.

LusiferSam
05-24-2002, 07:49 PM
I think the TIE Inceptor translates better in the modern liner the the original X-wing. Little was done improve the X-wing, but a lot was done to the TIE Inceptor. But as someone mentioned early if this the F/X X-wing this would a vary tough mach.

Tycho
05-25-2002, 06:18 AM
Just a side-comment here, because this always comes up in the Dog Fights...

watch the movie - especially ANH and the trench run - and then there's a great shot from Lando's POV in the cockpit ["Only the TIE Fighters are attacking. I wonder what those stardestroyers are holding for?"] when you see an X-wing shoot at a TIE that crosses the Falcon's flight path.

TIEs are bigger than most Rebel ships - certainly X-wings and Y-wings.

The F/X X-wing isn't in this competition because there is no TIE that's on scale to it. Then that ship would be larger than the F/X X-wing to look movie accurate. Next, what action figures can you put in each ship? In the F/X X-wing? I'm probably the only one of you who isn't a fan of the F/X ship, but one of my favorite vehicles is the Falcon. Though one of the worst scale examples, even for 10 bucks I couldn't justify buying an X-wing that was bigger than my Falcon. That ship is just not part of the figure collection to me. But yes it is nice. I just don't see it fairly competing with anything that's part of the standard vehicle assortment. That's all.

I'd love to hear your comments about my POV though. So feel free to agree or argue, but I want to hear something about the Imperial Fighter ships' sizes in your reply.

Eternal Padawan
05-25-2002, 11:20 AM
I voted X-Wing, but if your tallying posts, put me in the Interceptor camp. I thought "electronic X-Wing meant F/X X-Wing and that puppy rules.

General Warpig
05-25-2002, 11:42 AM
Tie Int ,mean looking,blast apart wing dammage and free pilot!

X-Wing ,small,cute'sie,landing gear barely existant!and still with that dog-ugly excuse for an R2-D2 that we had as kids!

Bring on the Empire.....

Not an easy thing,to meet one's maker! /Batty/Bladerunner

JediTricks
05-25-2002, 02:57 PM
I think you're wrong about the TIE Fighters being bigger than the X-wings. Remember that they were just composite shots, there was no perfection involved in those effects shots, it's an art-form there. The TIEs may be taller, but they're neither longer nor wider - the X-wings have more bulk and size IMO.

bigbarada
05-25-2002, 04:22 PM
I don't really consider the Power FX X-Wing a part of the toy line either. What's the point if you can't take out the Luke figure? However, what happens when the gutted ESB version of the X-Wing comes out Tycho?:confused:

The Falcon is also my favorite toy ship, even with the distortion it manages to still look cool and not too toylike as the original X-Wing and TIE Fighter do. It actually looks more like a model with all the detailing. However, I would love one that's a little bigger, maybe even big enough to fit the modern Han and Chewies in the cockpit.:) Although correct scale would be impossible, I think I calculated that a correct scale Falcon would be roughly 4.5 feet in diameter. This was based on the picture of Han standing in front of it in Docking Bay 94, and was by no means a completely accurate calculation. Does anyone have any idea of the actual dimensions of the Falcon (based on the outside of the ship, not the inside since I know they produce different measurements)?

Tycho
05-25-2002, 06:06 PM
Big Barada, I can't answer your Falcon question but I do have a comment.

First a question though: Did all of you get to go to the Smithsonian's Magic of the Myth Tour? They had the original model of the Millennium Falcon used in the films and it was about the size I'd guess your kitchen table is (or the smallest Volkswagon - just kidding). I looked inside the cockpit and saw detailed seats for 4. Though it was behind glass, I imagined if I could have gotten in there, it would have been just barely (barely) too small to put Han, Chewie, Threepio, and Leia in there (the Hasbro figures).

So if you have a kitchen table that seats about 6 comfortably, that is the approximate size a Falcon on a 1-1 scale with your figures should be.

I still think they should do it. I'd go for it. It could cost $1000.00 and since my Blockade Runner (way off scale, but good for 40 figures) cost me $700 to build, making the Falcon yourself (through trial and error) would probably run you well over $1000.00.

I don't think Hasbro will touch that one. I'd vote that they surrender licensing rights to just 1-1 scale ships (above fightercraft size) and let someone like Michael (ATAT / Sandcrawler) Fright have the licensing to mass produce those for fans who would pay that much.

Come on guys - you pay $300 for a Master Replica Lightsaber that doesn't do anything but hang on your belt. You paid $2,500 for a life-size model of Han in Carbonite, or $5000 a piece for life-size R2, 3PO, or a light-up breathing Vader. Can you collect all of those? Right. So you DO collect action figures that cost $5.99?

You can put 4 of them in the cockpit to make the ESB scene, and then on the same ship, unless if you have space and cash for 2 of them, put Ben training Luke, Han, and the intergalactic chess-championship team in the cargo hold of the same ship. (or on the gunner stations - top and bottom this time!)

So, yeah - I'd market that and the ATAT, Sandcrawler, Sailbarge, perhaps Republic Cruiser, and maybe Off-scale but nevertheless impressive Blockade Runners and Star Destroyers.

(on scale capital ships would be ridiculous). For example, what do we now call something that holds even 700 action figures? Toy R Us! (or my apartment - but it definitely doesn't have room for a stardestroyer).

In any event, I have another question to answer: What of the new Dagobah X-wing from the F/X scale?

It wasn't out yet to make a preliminary fight. I'd have loved to have had the Republic Gunship in this too, but we'll see how these newer ships stand up to our champions later. Right now in the Quarterfinals, we still have 16 ships to work with. Before we had 32. You have to cut it off at some point!

bigbarada
05-25-2002, 07:12 PM
I would love to buy a half-scale Millenium Falcon that would at least hold Han and Chewie. It would be roughly as long as the Queen's Starship if not a little longer. I'd gladly pay $200 for that.

General Warpig
05-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Scale wise these ships are all out.What confuses me is the smaller ships which are woefully out of proportion.A half-size falcon or full size Tie fighter to scale we'd all love,but begrudgingley accept the practacality of MASS toy production!Those of us who convert,defial and mash toys new and old find building and detailing the bigger ships a great hobby and challenge,now the smaller ships!........The Snowspeeder IMO is to BIG or maybe the seating is just to far back!How hard to make a Skiff with a deck big enough for the figures(too hard if you using 19yr old designs).My point being,as much as I dont like (but still buy)new ships from old moulds.With materials,production and design capability advancing since Star Wars' original manifestation.We should all being getting value for money,toys with playability and durability and detail.Hasbro seem to fall short every step........and Scale is the first thing to go!

Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent! /Batty/Bladerunner

The True Maul
05-26-2002, 01:20 PM
Go Tie!!!!!! This one is one of Hasbros best!!!

Rogue II
05-26-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Tycho

In any event, I have another question to answer: What of the new Dagobah X-wing from the F/X scale?

It wasn't out yet to make a preliminary fight. I'd have loved to have had the Republic Gunship in this too, but we'll see how these newer ships stand up to our champions later. Right now in the Quarterfinals, we still have 16 ships to work with. Before we had 32. You have to cut it off at some point!

Why don't you have a battle between the Gunship and the ESB X-Wing? Have the winner take the place of the Skiff/Tank winner since the vote was corrupt and neither of them really have a chance of winning the tournament.

JediTricks
05-26-2002, 04:44 PM
The Snowspeeder toy (vint/potf2/potj) is indeed too large to be in scale with the figures. I think the A-wing is truly in scale though.

General Warpig
05-26-2002, 06:56 PM
Does anyone think the Expanded Universe "mini" Airspeeder was one of the few ships to be trully to scale?Alrhough the pilot seems HUGE compared to most others.
Someone mentioned the Electronic(BIG) x-wing being to big compared to the Falcon.According to Echo Base Sound Stage layout(Art of ESB)The X-Wings are as big as the falcon!!!!Now the big Xwing next to any 3" scale Ywing is very laughable(I have mine on custom skids 2" high)But the A-wing!!!!!!My favourite!looks good,looks great hope it wins!

Tycho
05-27-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II

Why don't you have a battle between the Gunship and the ESB X-Wing? Have the winner take the place of the Skiff/Tank winner since the vote was corrupt and neither of them really have a chance of winning the tournament.

I can't because nobody has these ships yet. They have to be released since 1995 to the present to qualify. They didn't run in a preliminary match anyway (and the Gunship won't be out until July or later - as the rumor). Since how people will rate the toys will matter, they need to have first been played with.

When the Gunship comes out, we'll have it "run the gauntlet" so to speak. We can put it in key matches facing title winners and see where it ranks from there.

General Warpig, the A-wing Fighter was already defeated by the TIE Interceptor in its Preliminary Match.

The A-wing's temporary rank amongst the Classic Starfighters will be resolved following the results of this current Quarterfinals match. At that point we'll only be able to see where it places against 3 other fightercraft (including 2 in this match).

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. Stay subscribed to this thread and watch for results on Thursday, May 30.

chrisc
05-27-2002, 08:43 AM
All I can say is QUIT CRYING ABOUT HOW THEY LOOK AND HOW SMALL THE SHIPS ARE AND BE HAPPY THAT HASBRO MADE THEM!!!!!!!!

bigbarada
05-27-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by chrisc
All I can say is QUIT CRYING ABOUT HOW THEY LOOK AND HOW SMALL THE SHIPS ARE AND BE HAPPY THAT HASBRO MADE THEM!!!!!!!!

Easy there, guy. We're just having a calm rational discussion about the toys (that's why these forums exist), no need to get angry.;)

Anyways, even though the Falcon is horribly out of scale it is still on of my all-time favorite toys of any line. Liking something doesn't mean you don't see the flaws, in fact just the opposite. However, instead of fuming about things that could have been, you just accept the imperfections as part of the overall charm and get on with life.

I would still love a full-scale Millenium Falcon for my figures. Just give me time to build that addition onto the house to store it in.:)

chrisc
05-30-2002, 08:59 PM
I'm sorry.

bigbarada
05-31-2002, 04:02 AM
Don't worry about it. These things happen.

I think the greatest service forums like this give us is basically a way to vent. I know that I have ranted about things in the past that really don't seem like such a big deal anymore. This place is a great way to release all those pent-up hostilities that being a Star Wars fan seems to generate.:confused:

I believe that many fans are so angry because we know that we really don't have any control over Hasbro, Lucas or anything Star Wars. It's too big now and has grown beyond all of us. Sure Hasbro gives us the fan choice polls to placate us and make us think that we are making a difference; but all those polls really do is give Hasbro more figures to put on their "don't bother making" list. So we are completely powerless and at the mercy of Hasbro. They control our every waking moment and they know it. We know it too, which is why we are so angry all the time. We are merely their pawns and lashing out in these forums is simply a way to pretend that we matter as more than insignificant pocket change in Hasbro's pants.

Whew! Where the heck did that come from?:crazed:

Tycho
05-31-2002, 03:14 PM
I try to be a little more optimistic than that.

Eeth Koth
Teemto Pegules (to be released soon)
Amanaman (lost the poll the first time)

and 1 or more others that escape my mind were all 'losers' of Hasbro fan choice polls.

Even in this last one (with no official validation as of yet for that Sketchtrooper) both the dignitary and Reikeen did significantly well enough that I doubt they are far behind for production.

Sorry the next Quarterfinal match is late, guys. (well, it's really due for Fridays, I just am getting them started on Thursdays mostly) But I will be posting the new match in about an hour after I finish with my e-mails. But look for it shortly.

-Tycho

bigbarada
05-31-2002, 04:58 PM
Wow, did I really type all that? That's what I get for thinking too hard at 3 in the morning.:)

dr_evazan22
06-02-2002, 04:51 PM
Hey Tycho I hope there's still time to vote!

TIE Interceptor all the way! It's one of the most bad-A@@'d ship's from the OT. The only drawback for the toy, IMO, is that the entire craft wasn't redesigned, and by that I mean the "handle" that was put on the first TIE fighter for kids to hold on to. It should have ben redone w/ a ball cockpit. Other than that, this is a great ship!

For the X-Wing, while it is a beauty in the movie, the toy never quite lived up to the movie prop.