PDA

View Full Version : Latest Insider *52 Figures 2002

sunblind
05-24-2002, 08:30 AM
I was reading the latest insider and it states that 52 figures will be made this year. Now I hope I didnt repeat what someone else already posted.
Anyway, I wonder whos gonna be the last batch, because I onlu know of, up through 44? I think.

Anyone else know?
:confused:

Darth Havoc
05-24-2002, 08:40 AM
Only 52?
At the rate they've been putting them out I was kinda hoping for 100 or so by the end of the year :p

By the way, 45 is Ephant Mon, and 46 is Teemto Pagalies, on the TRU poster:)

Casual George
05-24-2002, 08:53 AM
I guess Hasbro decided to flood the market all at once. I can't see them releasing 40 + figures before June and then waiting Until Sept. or Oct. to release 6 or 7 more. Maybe they are planning on releasing more than 52 this year. How knows, I gave up trying to figure out Hasbro's release/shipping methods a long time ago.

Beast
05-24-2002, 09:39 AM
Both Tycho and myself, have heard numbers around 90+ figures this year, but I believe that counts Deluxe figures as well. I don't foresee the only 52 figures reports as being correct anymore, not with 40 figures out now, and more soon to come. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-24-2002, 09:43 AM
yeah, that is kinda craptacular....up to 35 figures now and then releasing like 5 or so more every few months...blast!!! i'm gettin' antsy though, i need to find the new waves!!!! It's what they get for releasing so many figures and then makin' us wait!!! ahhhhh!!! but i hope they stick around the regular 52 figures....i don't wanna go totally broke! :-)

Beast
05-24-2002, 09:58 AM
JMG, we are up to 40 figures now, not 35. That leaves 12 figures left, and 7 months until 2003. I highly doubt that 52 is all we end up getting, with the ammount of time we have left to the end of the year. Though Hasbro usually includes it's December figures into the next years count. Even if that's true, that still means only 2 figures a month until next year. Not gonna happen. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
05-24-2002, 10:09 AM
I think things should simmer down in the Fall, and put emphasis on the Gunship and Arena. Let stores get caught up with the waves, because while Dooku's been the last one sighted around here, most stores are still critically crammed with the first eight.

Of course, I think the more likely plan is that Hasbro is flushing out the waves now, then intentionally creating a lag so that collectors itching for more will buy anything...perhaps the Action Fleet that they don't want buried under other releases. But maybe I'm considering them more clever than they actually are.

Beast
05-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Good point Lord Tenebrous, plus we have the rest of the deluxe figures, and then exclusives in the fall. Maybe it will be only 52 figures, but I am starting to really doubt that with the number of them out now. As for the 90+ that I myself have heard, I broke it down in another thread, and counting deluxe and exclusives, we are at around 90 anyway. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

eliwankenobi
05-24-2002, 10:21 AM
I think 52 figures for the year is more than enough. We have to consider also; that 1) Hasbro's not taking the chances they did last time around for E1 because they don't want to wind up with a ton of stuff on clearance; 2) just because all us collectors trip over ourselves to get everything as soon as it comes out doesn't mean that the casual and younger aged market does the same. This would give Hasbro the time to see which figures the market needs more of for the Christmas blitz in order to satisfy all the Star Wars customers, even after us collectors have everything.
Let's not get too greedy. We still have a good 4-5 years (maybe more) of new Star Wars product. We don't need it all right now - otherwise, what fun will we have later?

sunblind
05-24-2002, 10:32 AM
Well one things for sure, I don't need everything now, but blasts! I sure would like the waves that are supposedly out now. I can only ever find 1-31.

JEDIpartner
05-24-2002, 10:39 AM
100 FIGURES IN ONE YEAR??? Yikes! That's insane! That's totally unprecidented!!! My biggest fear is that we will be getting resculpt upon resculpt with numbers like these. I'm not talking rescuplts of things made from a few years ago... I'm talking resculpts of things made just this year! That is really out of control.

Beast
05-24-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
100 FIGURES IN ONE YEAR??? Yikes! That's insane! That's totally unprecidented!!! My biggest fear is that we will be getting resculpt upon resculpt with numbers like these. I'm not talking rescuplts of things made from a few years ago... I'm talking resculpts of things made just this year! That is really out of control.
Yeah, it's pretty nuts until you start crunching the numbers. These numbers are based on what has been confirmed, not what is rumored to be coming. :)

54 Basic Figures (w/ Red Battle Droid & Varient ERS)
14 Deluxe Figues (w/ Mace's Droid, C-3PO's Droid, and Ani's Geonosian)
4 Cantina Aliens (Wal-Mart Exclusive Cantina packs)
4 NightClub Aliens (Wal-Mart Exclusive 2-packs)
4 Figure & Accessory sets (Target Exclusive)
1 R2-D2: Dagobah w/ X-Wing (TRU Exclusive)
1 Luke: Tatooine w/ Landspeeder (TRU Exclusive)

So that's 82, and then we have the rumor of the Cloud Car coming from Target and other unanounced Exclusives a this point. 90+ is possible, just from counting everything. Now if we get 90 basic figures, or 90 including the deluxe figures, this is gonna be one of the best years ever. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Croaker
05-24-2002, 11:06 AM
That the first (or almost) that I've heard of the walmart exclusives. Any more info on those?

MikeAndTheBots
05-24-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Hmmmm, some info on these would be nice. Wonder who they'll pick...

Beast
05-24-2002, 11:18 AM
The Wal-Mart Cantina sets will attach together to create a mini-cantina diorama. No pictures have surfaced, so no clue how good it looks yet. There are 4 pieces, each packed with a figure, Greedo, Ponda Baba, Momaw Nadon, and Kitik Keed'kak. According to Yakface, Hasbro stated the following at Cel2: "The figures will consist of both new and old tooling, meaning that you will recognize at least some parts of Momaw Nadon (Hammerhead), Greedo, and/or Ponda Baba (Walrus Man). The one new figure, Kitik Keed'kak, should be all new."

As for the Nightclub Aliens, Hasbro has been pretty quiet on those. But they are supposed to be 2-packs, and be avaliable later this fall, after the Cantina packs. No mention of what figures will be included in the set, but likely figures would include Ayy Vida, Elan Sleazebaggano, Lieutenant Faytonni, and Achk Med-Beq. :)

And finally, as for the Target Accessory sets, those four figures have been pretty much confirmed on some sites. They are supposed to be, Death Star Trooper, Hoth Rebel Soldier, Biker Scout, and Battle Droid. Hopefully the Hoth Rebel Soldier will be the other vintage version that has yet to be produced in the modern line. They are supposed to be packed with plenty of accessories for your troops. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
05-24-2002, 11:26 AM
When you say "4 figure and accessory sets"... do you mean those 4 figures packed all together with some accessory packs included or... four of EACH figure in their own packs with accessories?

LTBasker
05-24-2002, 11:35 AM
1 figure with a bunch of accessories, he meant there would be 4 sets.

The thing about this is that 14 were truly originally planned, but then we got nearly double that for one day, so if 52 was the original plan for this year then they'd probably feel the need to conpinsate for the extra 13 figures that were served on the 23rd.

Beast
05-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Oh my bad, I should have been more clear. There are supposed to be 4 different sets. One for each of the OT movies, and then the 4th (Battle Droid) is supposed to be for AOTC's. Again, hopefully they are avaliable in decent quanties at Target, as I want atleast 2 of each one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

eliwankenobi
05-24-2002, 11:39 AM
Ooooohhh, goodie! I like the sound of those figure w/ accessory sets. Those are just the army-builders we need.

Jaina Solo
05-24-2002, 01:04 PM
These sound very cool... I'm starting to hate exclusives, but I think Target will get some of my money on those figure sets.

Jonna
05-24-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
These sound very cool... I'm starting to hate exclusives, but I think Target will get some of my money on those figure sets.

I agree with you. It is hard enough to find the regular figures, without tracking down a store that is not even in your area to find a single figure.:frus:

Jargo
05-24-2002, 01:21 PM
Again with the US only exclusives...... bah humbug! :mad: hasbro UK better get some of those in or there'll be hell to pay otherwise....

Darth Evil
05-24-2002, 01:52 PM
I agree Jargo, but they'll probably just ignore Ireland anyway...

sunblind
05-24-2002, 02:24 PM
I hate exclusives and I live in the US. You can never find any. Except with a jacked up price by 25$ at some wierdo cump store.

bigbarada
05-24-2002, 02:56 PM
I think 52 figures for this year is enough. I'm already terribly behind as it is and my wallet needs some time to catch it's breath.

90+ figures in one year, that's ridiculous! The entire 8 year run of the vintage line produced only 92 figures! If this is true then I will have to stop collecting altogether as there will be no way I can catch up.

52 is too many for one year, 90 is just plain nuts.

DarthBrandon
05-24-2002, 03:06 PM
I personally agree with Big B, 52 Figures is plenty and the cost to keep up is astounding unless you have your own toy store like I plan on doing if this keeps up.

A'Sharad Hett
05-24-2002, 03:22 PM
it'd be really cool if they were moving quick enough to get Aayla Secuura out this year. Maybe a few more. Some more Jedi would be nice... Coleman, a new Adi Gallia, Bariss, and of course Howard the Duck.

JEDIpartner
05-24-2002, 03:29 PM
It seems that, at least in Japan, that all of the TRUs had the Wal*Mart, Target and FAO exclusives. I can't figure out why that is, but that was the case when I was there in 2000. It was pretty cool!

Yoda'sMaster
05-24-2002, 04:01 PM
keep this in mind if this is true about 100+ figures for this year the figures just came out in april thats 4 extra months hasbro has for 2003! we could end up getting 150+ next year:crazed:

DarthMaulSithLord
05-24-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
54 Basic Figures (w/ Red Battle Droid & Varient ERS)
14 Deluxe Figues (w/ Mace's Droid, C-3PO's Droid, and Ani's Geonosian)
1 R2-D2: Dagobah w/ X-Wing (TRU Exclusive)
1 Luke: Tatooine w/ Landspeeder (TRU Exclusive)

Dammit, i hate exclusives!!! It just gives the damn scalpers an excuse to drive up the prices!!!

Btw, what is this nightclub aliens set? When will all the above be out? Please don't say they are coming before September of this year or i will be missing out on a lot of things.

:frus:

bigbarada
05-24-2002, 04:16 PM
Is that 52 Saga figures, or does the number include the last few waves of POTJ?

I think this will backfire on Hasbro if they keep this up. Many people with limited budgets will fall behind and have to give up collecting until things begin to calm down. Also no store is going to order ten new figures a month if their shelves are already being clogged with OPD Anakins and Padme Arenas. I also fear that we are in for a dry spell between now and Ep3.

Lord Tenebrous
05-24-2002, 04:19 PM
Well, regardless, this isn't the economic climate for releasing so many figures. We were at the top of an expansionary period in 1999, and we got, what, 34-40 that year? Not to mention that they were made with better material.

My budget allowed me Dooku, and some Lego that I haggled for. And so far this year, Djas Puhr and Ephant Mon are the only new ones I've planned to get. Right now it's just about what I like, and Saga is growing on me as much as AOTC...not at all.

But I guess it's somewhat relieving to know that most of this stuff is worthless due to its volume. I'll just fetch up what I can on clearance.

Beast
05-24-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Is that 52 Saga figures, or does the number include the last few waves of POTJ?
Nope, Hasbro only included the New Saga line. The old POTJ line and their preview figures aren't included. It's considered to be a totally new line. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Havoc
05-24-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by A'Sharad Hett
it'd be really cool if they were moving quick enough to get Aayla Secuura out this year.

I agree! A year is too long to wait for Aayla ;)

For those who don't want 100 figures in a year, do you have to collect all of them? :)
They'll probably release some more classic Lukes and Leia's in the assortments. The new Saga cards pretty much give them an excuse to make everything again, and give those of us who collect loose figures some cool bit part figures like Aayla :D

Maybe a few more. Some more Jedi would be nice... Coleman, a new Adi Gallia, Bariss, and of course Howard the Duck.

So that was Howard the duck;)
Even after seeing the movie twice I couldn't quite beleive it;)

atomicmaniac
05-24-2002, 05:05 PM
I can't wait until 2003, with no new movie and all the stuff coming out this year we will see some REALLY obscure OT stuff. We may actually be able to get ALL the cantina and Jabbas palace aliens made as figures. I never thought I'd see the day

bigbarada
05-24-2002, 05:47 PM
So if the Imperial Officer and RFT are being released on the saga cards, what'll Hasbro do to fill the bubble? I hope we get some cool accessories with them; but we will probably just end up with two more horribly out of scale mouse droids.:mad:

Lord Tenebrous
05-24-2002, 05:58 PM
Since Palpatine came with accessories, I'm pretty sure they'll just put the IO and the RFT on the Saga card with no added bonus. Luck of the draw, I guess.

But if they were smart, they'd do it as a 2-pack, since both figures are somewhat limited by their articulation and pose.

Jargo
05-24-2002, 08:04 PM
I think the summer should be a figure free time to allow folks to catch up or use some money to actually do something with their lives other than chase round trying to find toys and giving themselves heart failure when they can't find the new ones. :)

The beasts are all I crave right now. The vehicles are going to have to wait and the figures are so hit and miss I'm just calmly waiting until I happen to see something I like rather than go nuts like I used to collecting them all. It's a pity that cool dark eye probe comes with another crappy Maul though. I really want the probe but I have to buy a crap figure to get it - I'll wait and see if it hits clearance I think.

LTBasker
05-24-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I think 52 figures for this year is enough. I'm already terribly behind as it is and my wallet needs some time to catch it's breath.

90+ figures in one year, that's ridiculous! The entire 8 year run of the vintage line produced only 92 figures! If this is true then I will have to stop collecting altogether as there will be no way I can catch up.

52 is too many for one year, 90 is just plain nuts.

POTJ over it's not even a full 2 year course had 37 basic carded figures - even then people had trouble finding them all and still are.

I agree 52 is way too much for one year, but since it's a movie year and they know that most likely Christmas in a movie year is big profits, well.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-24-2002, 08:55 PM
Okay, it's not Howard the Duck, it is a Mon Calamari with lower eyes!!!!!!!!

Jmacq
05-24-2002, 10:36 PM
I figure they'll push out most of the product we've already seen 'final versions' of in the next few months. Up to Teemto, basically. Then we'll have a lull where only a couple of figures (if that) will come out every month. Or maybe they'll concentrate most of the exclusives and whatnot into that period.

Then we'll get another 'glut' of product around November just in time for the rumored DVD release and the 'Christmas Rush'.

jedibear
05-24-2002, 11:06 PM
I also think 52 for one year is more than enough....

I hope Hasbro is at least paying better attention & not filling their warehouses with the first twenty or so figures....all of the first 14 are pretty stagnet around here. The only ones that still fly away quickly are Yoda, Dooku & anything past that.
I know we're probably in for at least a few new versions of core characters before the year's out like the Tat Ani we've seen images of online...& probably at least one more Jango(helmetless but with the headgear...pilot maybe?) And although we're getting Padme in her opening scenes pilot gear, I'm hoping for at least one more version of her before the year's out.

jjreason
05-25-2002, 01:53 AM
The best Padme would have been in the white suit with cape. Beautiful and toy friendly. I hate the Britney look. Well, not ALL of me hates the Britney look....
I think 52 is plenty. I wish though, that there could be some kind of subscription system where you wouldn't have to stress all the time. Living where I do, Im nearly totally dependent on a buddy in Chicago to hook me up. I can't even get all of my first 14 complete in this hole. No Bobas and no Typhos of all things. Crikey.
In a movie year they should give us figures from the new movie. I love Bespin Luke as much as the next guy, but why now? And who's ready for another Qui-Gon just yet? Maul again? Im pretty much figured out on those two.
As long as they keep making good figures with lots of accessories things will be fine, even though it's tough to keep up. I had to make an agreement with the "head of the household" that Id take a one year break from comics (my supposed real hobby) to compensate for all the spending on toys from now to Christmas.
I hope things slow down so that I can catch up before I have to go on a crime spree to afford it all.

cujo fett
05-26-2002, 07:03 AM
bespin luke was an already sculpted figure and was supposed to be in the cd-rom line with bespin vader, that line never made it

Skinny 1
05-26-2002, 09:07 AM
I've given up on locating and obtaining every figure that hits the market. So far, my collecting focus for AOTC has been Boba and Jango Fett. I may end up just collecting memorbillia related to them, along with a few other items that hold my interest.

Releasing so many figures in one year makes me want to turn my back on collecting. No sooner do you find the first wave (if you're lucky enough to do that) than another big wave is released. And seems like there is no end to the characters who get turned into action figures.

One thing I have been wondering is when does everyone think it will be over? The original line lasted eight years, and the new one has gone on for seven. If I had to guess, I would say that things would pretty much wind down after Episode III. Come on, it can't last forever. Any opinions?

Jargo
05-26-2002, 09:18 AM
If people keep buying every thing that gets released then hasbro will keep making the things. It's a cash cow to company execs and they aren't going to turn their back if they squeeze just a few more dollars out of it. Same as they did with the vintage figures and the minirigs and then the droids line. Have you seen what they had planned for star wars that never got produced? Terrible terrible things my friend. It could all go horribly wrong. But with Lucas taking such an interest in what gets made I thnk it's down to him to call quits whenever he wants to. If he says three years after the last movie then that's that. I hope it goes on forever or until I have all the characters I'd like but sadly I think there's always going to be things that never get made.

Turbowars
05-26-2002, 09:44 AM
You guys crack me up! For the last 7 years we have *****ed and complained on how Kenner and Hasbro never produced enough figures. Now some of you say 52 figure is out of hand. If you don't want to buy, don't. If you can't afford them right now, you will find them on clearance at some point. We need hasbro to continue pushing new figures out. If we don't get them now, we may not ever get them. Lets not encourage them to stop. Not that they would, since Hasbro doesn't listen to us anyways. I would like to see more classics, such as aliens and droids. That's how I see it. Feel free to retort.

sith_killer_99
05-26-2002, 10:43 AM
"OH, you were finished? Well allow me to retort."

JK, lol!:D

But seriously, here's the problem with Hasbro cranking out more figures in a single year (including POTJ, Exclusives, and Deluxe) than during the ENTIRE vintage run.

A DEAD STAR WARS LINE!!!

That's the problem! Stores are still bitter about EP1 (yeah, I know...it's getting to be an old arguement) the SAGA stuff is starting to sit, collectors are feeling put off, scalpers are hitting SW harded than ever. All of this wrorks AGAINST the line.

Yes, SW is a cash cow, but how big will it be between movies? It is possible that we will lose the line sometime between EP2 and EP3! Some say "as long as there are collectors...". But collectors may bow out. I have already quite buying stupid garbage. No longer the "completist". If others follow suit, or quite all together?

Or worse, distribution between movies falls behind the POTJ distribution. If they cut those numbers in half we'd all be dead!

BTW, LTBasker, POTJ had 58 (with Scout Trooper variation)!

Let's look at this realistically:

5 = SOTE
9 = Expanded Universe
9 = POTJ without FF
10 = CommTech POTF2
11 = Flashback
26 = Orange Card
49 = POTJ with FF (with both Scout Troopers)
50 = Episode 1 (with all 4 Battle Droids)
52 = Green Card
56 = Freeze Frame

Now Hasbro wants to crank out HOW many figs?

52 Blue carded figs by years end is ambitious enough if you ask me. Here is what they should have done:

27 = April
5 = May
4 = June
4 = July
3 = August
3 = September
3 = October
3 = November

If Hasbro counts December as part of the next year it works out great.

And remember, many collectors are still trying to catch up. Dooku, Yoda, HD Ani, Royal Guards, Lminara, etc.

Jargo
05-26-2002, 10:55 AM
Oh boy, will I ever see a Shaak Ti or Dooku in person.........

Putting out Qui-Gon and Maul is a waste. There are more useful characters they could have chosen to do. A decent Padme for one, a cloaked Anakin for another. More jedi from the arena, bail Organa or clonetroopers. Jango without his armour on. Captain Typho in the uniform he wears for most of his appearance on screen. Geonosian with sonic blaster, Poggle the Lesser with the death star plans hologram. Cool stuff not waste plastic like Qui-Gon and Maul.

I don't really care how many come out this year as long as they leave them out for a long enough period so that we can all find them. And in numbers high enough. If they asked us what we thought before putting the damn things into production we wouldn't get so many turkeys. We'd have a chance to tell them no, don't make that awful Qui-Gon, yes, make that Padme or that articulated Obi-Wan instead. But Hasbro does everything arse about face. No wonder they faced financial crisis the other year.

Turbowars
05-26-2002, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sith_killer_99
[B]"OH, you were finished? Well allow me to retort."

JK, lol!:D
That's what I was shotting for!LOL ..
"Here is what they should have done:"

27 = April
5 = May
4 = June
4 = July
3 = August
3 = September
3 = October
3 = November

I totaly agree with this list, but it's too late for that. So is Hasbro just going to let us hang `here for 4 month with nothing? I hope not. We have been bombarded with 40+ figures and it just can't stop. On the topic of not being able to find these figure, a lot of us in the LA area have band together to find each other figures and it has worked beautifully. For the guys that don't live in the States, I would help. I guess just pay cost and shipping. I'm not here to make money. LMK

Jmacq
05-26-2002, 12:45 PM
To be honest, the 52 figure 'limit' is probably accurate, but it probably -only- covers up to -October-, which is the beginning of the 'fiscal' year. As such, most businesses consider -that- more of the 'new year' than January 1st.

So basically, we'll probably get more than 52 figures between now and January of 2003. But I have no idea what we might see between October and January. Possibly the 'concept' Stormtrooper, Aayla Secura, and who knows what else?

As far as the future of the Star Wars line, I've got a feeling that between Episode II and III it'll follow the same pattern it did with I and II. In other words, it'll have a strong year up until Christmastime, and then once again, the 'kiddies' will lose interest in the line, the first waves of product will glut the shelves, and later waves will be horribly underordered and underproduced. They might even start a 'new' packaging scheme or 'gimmick' somewhere in there, to try to keep sales consistent.

Once Episode III comes out, we'll get another resurgence in the line, tons of new figs, etc.... But beyond that, as much as I hate to admit it, it'll likely die the same death the original action figure line did. Without movies to fuel more product, and having done a vast number of figures from all of the pre-existing movies, the 'kids' interest in the line will fail, and while 'collector' interest might be enough to keep it going for another year or so, eventually Hasbro will decide that they're 'done'. No, it's unlikely we'll ever see figures of -everyone- that ever appeared in all six movies. Which is too bad for you completists. It's also unfortunate that by the time Hasbro gets around to -really- trying to explore the 'expanded universe', it'll probably be a last ditch effort to try to 'save' the line, and therefore the figures will be -extremely- underproduced, and there likely won't be very many of them. I would go so far as to predict that the 'last' wave or two of 'Star Wars' figures that are produced will likely mirror the original POTF line, and end up being among the most rare and sought-after figures produced in Hasbro's 'Second Generation' of Star Wars figures.

Anyway, that's just my two cents' worth.

sunblind
05-28-2002, 06:38 AM
You know. I love this. I'm not sure if I can afford the fig's. But I'm just so glad to see some cool fig's being made. Some are not, but most are. And now, I must wait for the republican gun ship and hopefully more clonie ships other than that.

Has anyone seen that Queens ship from Episode 1 on clerance anywhere, I want one.