PDA

View Full Version : Episode III-- Deception

jblodgett
05-24-2002, 12:45 PM
A few more random thoughts on Episode III.

At some point between Eps. II and III, both Anakin and Obiwan must become better duelers. The Attack of the Clones book with all the pictures (drawing a blank on its name at the moment) talks about the different "Forms" of lightsaber combat. It discusses how most Jedi are now trained in Form 3- since that is the kind used most to deflect blaster fire. It discusses how Dooku sticks with Form 2- which is more of a fencing form. It also discusses how Anakin has begun to study Form 4- which is based on strength and power.

Anyhow-- at some point before Ep. III, Anakin must progress in his lightsaber prowess to the point that he can defeat Dooku- and subsequently defeat the remaining Jedi knights... Also at some point before Ep. III, Obiwan must progress his lightsaber prowess to the point that he can defeat Anakin.. Perhaps Anakin will be wounded by his battle with Dooku.... Perhaps BOTH Dooku and Anakin will plummet into the lava, and the Emperor will decide to save Anakin- leaving Anakin indebted to him. Perhaps the Emperor will tell Anakin that the jedi have left him-- creating a hatred for the Jedi by Anakin.... (Golly I love all the fun speculation)

But- the point of my post-- at some point in time there is going to have to be a tremendous amount of deception. Somehow the Emperor and Anakin are going to have to think that both Yoda and Obiwan are dead. In addition, somehow Anakin is going to have to think that Padme is dead. And Anakin and the Emperor are going to have to not know about Luke and Leia.

Man-- Episode III is going to be friggin awesome.

I wonder if Lucas will consider another "Shadows of the Empire" type intermediary to firm up some of the issues that will be unresolved between Ep. II and Ep. III.

asiandoood
05-24-2002, 01:40 PM
I think Annakin and the Emperor know about Luke somehow... since in ESB, the Emperor says something like "there is a great disturbance in the force.... the son of skywalker must not allowed to be a jedi...."

D.V. "...if he can be turned...he can be a powerful ally..."

E.P. "yes...yes...can it be done..."

D.V. "...he will join us...or die...."

....i dunno...i think thats how it went. but i think they know about luke...but not leia.

browndroid
05-24-2002, 01:41 PM
yes, i belive they do know about luke, then later about leia cause vader says if you will not turn perhaps your sister will

Jedi Clint
05-24-2002, 01:57 PM
Vader didn't know about Leia until he searched Luke's feelings in ROTJ. I don't see anything in Vader and Palpatine's exchange in TESB that indicates prior knowledge of Luke's existence.

jblodgett
05-24-2002, 04:26 PM
I think they knew about Luke because he was the hero of the rebellion-- he was the person who blew up the Death Star- the Empire's ultimate weapon.

And I am sure Vader would have reported back to the Emperor-- telling him about the strength of the force in the person who blew up the death star. Remember his comment, "the force is strong in this one." I am sure the Rebellion sent out communications to all listeners about the boy who "used the force" to blow up the death star.

I doubt the Emperor or Vader knew who Luke Skywalker was or that he even existed BEFORE the destruction of the Death Star-- but they damn sure knew after.

JetsAndHeels
05-24-2002, 05:57 PM
Jblodgett, the book you are referring to is the AOTC Visual Dictionary (a great book BTW). I also agree with your comment on Luke. I also doubt that Vader or Palps knew anything about Luke until his heroics at the end of ANH. Before that he was just a regular guy living on Tattooine with his Aunt and Uncle. I see an underlying theme in this and other events that take place in the saga: simple people can do extraordinary things.

Eternal Padawan
05-25-2002, 10:38 AM
I think Vader knows Obi-Wan is still alive, and so does Tarkin and presumably Palpatine. Tarkin says to Vader 'Obi Wan kenobi? Surely he must be dead, by now." By now implying that Tarkin knew he hadn't been killed in the purge.

And then Vader tells Obi Wan "You should not have come back." which I always thought meant that Vader let Obi Wan go and told him "Go. And don't ever come back."

So if Tarkin and Vader knew, they wouldn't keep secrets from their boss man. So Palpatine knows hes alive, too. I think maybe they kept him alive to keep the force in balance. Two Jedi and two Sith.

I think Vader won't know about Padme's pregnancy. Or he will know, but think she died, so the child is dead, too. Remember Ben told Luke that "...the Emperor knew, as I did, that if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him." So Palapatine is very interested in confirming that Padme is dead if they knew she was pregnant. It could go either way in Episode III.