PDA

View Full Version : freaky lookin' vintage...

notafinga
05-24-2002, 07:39 PM
I dug out my vintage Hoth Luke figure the other day and it kinda creeped me out. I hadn't realized how much the details in toys had progressed...
the facial markings and texture of that toy remind me of some freaky looking china doll from the 1940's.

...boy, do I feel old...

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2002, 11:12 AM
The faces always seemed happy-looking to me. Humans, aliens, even Stormtroopers appeared nice. Heck, even Lando smiled for us at times! :)

Vader: "Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son."
Bespin Luke: "I'll never join you!"
Vader: "Why are you so pleased?"
Luke: "I'm not pleased! I hate you! You're lying!"
Vader: "Seriously; why are you so happy?"
Luke: "What? Are you crazy?"
Vader: "Ah; kids..."
:p

But you have to admit (yes, you HAVE TO), you never had to worry about weird poses not letting you put the figures in to vehicles or carrying cases.

bigbarada
05-26-2002, 05:49 AM
I've also noticed that all vintage figures seem to have that "pleasant" expression on their face. None of the bad guys looked too intimidating either. Vader had a pencil-neck, Stormtroopers had their head molded to their shoulders, Death Squad Commandos had salad bowls on their head and the AT-AT Commander looked like that kid who always got beat up in school for looking like a girl.

But, you're right BCJ, their playability and versatility was unmatched, especially in today's line.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2002, 03:54 PM
(So Barada is now Corellian, eh BB? ;) )

I really disliked the molded head deal, too. Booo! I had to change Han and Luke heads onto Biker Scouts to replay the Death Star detention block scene. Some cool characters were "No-Neck Joes:"

Stormtrooper
Hoth Stormtrooper
Emperor's Royal Guard (still better than any post-POTF2 resculpt)
TIE Pilot (still better than any post-POTF2 resculpt)
Most (all?) Ewoks
Gammorrean Guard (I think so)

Why, Kenner? Why?

bigbarada
05-26-2002, 04:24 PM
I agree totally on the Royal Guard and TIE Pilot being better than anything offered today. The Saga RG is an improvement but still looks wrong when his arms are by his side. I've been asking for a resculpted TIE Pilot for years.

None of the ewoks had neck articulation. And don't forget about Chewbacca, Droopy McCool, Sy Snootles and Amanaman (although how they would actually articulate his neck is beyond me).

Oh yeah, the Power Droid didn't have an articulated neck either.:)

LusiferSam
05-26-2002, 10:05 PM
But Sy Snootles and the Power Droid don't really have necks.
I was show my vintage figs to a young firend of my families and he said that the old figures looked "cartoony". It's interesting he would say that, because I have thought some of the POFT2 figures look "cartoony".

bigbarada
05-27-2002, 04:58 AM
The vintage figures looked the way they did because of the limits of technology, I don't know what POTF2's excuse was.

Saying the Power Droid has no neck articulation is like saying that he has no shoulder articulation, since he only has feet. It was meant as sarcasm. Hence the :) . However, Sy Snootles was given neck articulation for her POTF2 resculpt. Not saying it necessarily looked good, more like she was being strangled slowly by a piano wire; but it was there.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-27-2002, 10:44 AM
(You tricked me with your avatar change, bb! :mad: Making me look silly... :( ;) )
How could I have forgotten Chewie?!? Unforgivable. It would have been nice to get a different figure of him, Vader, too.

But, as per the rules, I owe a BSLOS for my omittance of the Wookiee:

"To aks ya some questions to see if ya'r, 100 proof."

bigbarada
05-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
(You tricked me with your avatar change, bb! :mad: Making me look silly... :( ;) )

HeeHee!:D;)

Just to help BCJ save face, I did have a Han Solo avatar for about 1 day; but it just wasn't me so I went back to one of my Klatooinian Series #1 avatars (there is no Series #2:( ).

I spent my entire childhood wishing for a new version of Chewie and Vader. I actually liked the first POTF2 "husky" Chewie, it made him look more like some of the concept sketches; but I am glad we are getting more accurate versions now. I hated the first POTF2 Vader, and Hasbro has yet to make one that I am completely satisfied with (removable helmet is the best, but needs cloth capes).

scruffziller
05-31-2002, 12:49 AM
Trying to push more junk that is their excuse!!!!!!!!!!!!

stormie
05-31-2002, 01:18 PM
Speaking of the vintage Hoth Luke...I was always intrigued that this was one of the only vintage figures with posed legs instead of straight-standing legs. I believe the Boushh Leia and black Bespin Guard also had slight poses (and maybe Weequay and the white Bespin guard), but all others that I can think of had that straight, standing-at-attention pose...that I definitely prefer.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2002, 11:03 AM
I don't know if that was a "pose" as much as just turning his feet outward. A few figures had the pointing-out look (2nd Bespin Guard, Skiff Klaatu, Ackbar, etc.), yet there were even "variants" to most figures with spread or closed legs (Biker Scout, Lobot, Hoth Han, etc.). I have bought a few replacement figures for the ones I have in lesser condition, and one or the other has different leg positioning. But not a true "variation" to me.

stormie
06-03-2002, 12:32 PM
I guess it's not really an action pose; more like a relaxing pose. His left leg is straight, like he's got his weight on that foot, and his right leg is kinda bent and out in front of him. Boushh Leia and the Black Guard have the same nonchalance pose, with their weights distributed on one leg.

As far as variations, do you mean the figures that have the legs closer together rather than wide, or that actually have their toes pointing out more? I know about the wide/narrow stance production variations (or errors, if you will), my stormtroopers were either assuredly confident (wide stance) or weak-kneed prissy boys (narrow stance);).

AdmiralPiett
06-11-2002, 04:45 PM
I don't understand their logic behind preposing nowadays. It would be a lot cheaper to make the figures smaller and in the vintage 'at-attention' poses. They could definitely ship a lot more figures per carton if they used the vintage style. The bubble on an episode 2 figure is about 6 times that of a vintage fig. And personally, the vintage figs look a lot nicer. Half of my ep2 figs don't even stand without some serious coaxing to their ankles (i.e. count dooku, mace windu, etc.). And if you make an army, vintage stormtroopers look a lot nicer in an imperial shuttle display than any stormtrooper post potf2.

anarky
06-27-2002, 06:28 PM
and have you noticed that when you get two of a vintage figure--particularly lukes and hans, i've noticed--the faces are painted way different?

i have one bespin luke with eyebrows, and one without--he's a very sad case indeed

ice cream machine man's frozen treat must've blown up and burned off his eyebrows