PDA

View Full Version : Thin and winged creatures

scruffziller
05-24-2002, 08:13 PM
I am sensing a theme here, there seems to be alot of stick figure aliens and winged one in the prequels, maybe that is why they didn't survive they broke easily.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-24-2002, 11:35 PM
Speaking of thin & winged Creatures, a friend of mine says that a flying creature that is featured (very shortly) on the planet Kamino can be seen in the 1978 Star Wars special. Since I don't own the special and I barely remember the creature, can anyone shed some light on this?

JetsAndHeels
05-24-2002, 11:38 PM
The only thing I saw flying on Kamino was the aiwha (air whale). And by no means was that thing thin. It did have one of the kamino aliens riding on it though.

JetsAndHeels
05-24-2002, 11:41 PM
Your friend may be talking about the Geonosian Warriors. They were thin and winged. I owned the SW Holiday Special and I did not notice any of these in it. Perhaps I missed something, but I sold that thing. The Holiday Special is excrutiating to watch.

scruffziller
05-24-2002, 11:55 PM
I wasn't reffering to just "winged creatures" but like the Kamino aliens and the Podracer Odi Mandrell as being the thin ones

Lord Tenebrous
05-25-2002, 02:54 PM
Boba rode on some sort of long-necked serpent. And it wasn't Kamino, as most of the planet had a red hue.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-25-2002, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure, but it seems to me that Boba in that picture is on a dinosaur.:crazed:

chris
06-06-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Lowly Bantha Cleaner
Speaking of thin & winged Creatures, a friend of mine says that a flying creature that is featured (very shortly) on the planet Kamino can be seen in the 1978 Star Wars special. Since I don't own the special and I barely remember the creature, can anyone shed some light on this?

i dont know about the holiday special, but I do know the air whale design has been around for many years, it was used in the conceptual designs of Bespin in ESB, and Naboo in TPM.:cool:

Jonna
06-06-2002, 05:01 PM
I have a copy of the video, but it is like 20th generation or something and very staticy. Still I don't think that is what it was.

chewie
06-06-2002, 09:11 PM
The one thing I've noticed is a decided lack of furry/feathered CGI creatures or aliens. Just about every single prequel trilogy computer animated animal or sentient is a lizard, dinosaur, or has elephant/rhino-like skin. Must be hard to do fur or feathers with computers. Or maybe its just a way to further differentiate the pt from the ot's hairy bunch.

bigbarada
06-13-2002, 10:16 AM
I've noticed that many of the prequel aliens are somwhat "insubstantial." Especially the podracers and Kaminoans.

What I assume though, is that if it were possible to make those kinds of aliens look convincing in 1975 we would have seen them from the beginning.

lunchymeatball
06-13-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
I'm not sure, but it seems to me that Boba in that picture is on a dinosaur.:crazed:

Thats the loch ness monster, damn thing keeps knockin on my door for tree fitty:D

karateyoda17
06-13-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by chewie
The one thing I've noticed is a decided lack of furry/feathered CGI creatures or aliens. Just about every single prequel trilogy computer animated animal or sentient is a lizard, dinosaur, or has elephant/rhino-like skin. Must be hard to do fur or feathers with computers. Or maybe its just a way to further differentiate the pt from the ot's hairy bunch.

Honestly, do you really want to see a reek or acklay covered in chicken feathers? After all the only OT beast I can think of thats hairy is the banthas....plus the nexu has hair/fur. I have noticed alot of winged things in the prequals such as watto, geonosians and aiwha, but skinny things, the only really important skinny things are the kamino cloners. Ya alot of the pod racers were skinny, but they were of no real importance other then sebulba. Also why does everyone assume that everything that was not in the OT will be killed? Not everything in the star wars universe deals with Luke, Han and Leia. Just because, hmmm was watto was not seen in EP4-5-6 does NOT mean hes dead. Same with planets, geonosis could sure as heck be still there in EP4-5-6 just noone had any real purpose going there.

scruffziller
06-14-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
I've noticed that many of the prequel aliens are somwhat "insubstantial." Especially the podracers and Kaminoans.

What I assume though, is that if it were possible to make those kinds of aliens look convincing in 1975 we would have seen them from the beginning.

True True. Good point.

yukface27
06-14-2002, 02:05 AM
I got that lunchy. Good one!

lunchymeatball
06-14-2002, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Good point
The same goes with droids nowadays.
If in 1975 GL wanted to do the Gungan/Battle droid battle at the end of TPM, the droids would have had to have been stop motion (jerky and unrealistic for nowaday audiences),people in outfits(which would have meant alot bulkier droids) or puppets all of which if you can imagine would have resulted in a far different battle.

With the advent of a more believable CGI we have different shape droids, monsters and aliens and are not restricted to any of the older methods above.

So this time around we have, better more non human shaped droids, a bigger variation of different shaped aliens and hopefully I WILL get my krayt dragon in EP3.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED GL:evil: