PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys like the Beatles?

bandontherun
05-24-2002, 10:51 PM
The Beatles are my favorite band. [Hence my username.] Do any of you like them? Who's your favorite? Mine's George.

bigbarada
05-24-2002, 11:09 PM
The Beatles are pretty good. I just recently really started to listen to them. My favorite songs are probably Norweigan Wood, Hey Jude and The Inner Light (I think that's the title, it has lyrics from an Indian proverb saying "The more one travels, the less one knows.")

I wouldn't necessarily say that I have a favorite Beatle, but if I was forced to pick one I would have to say Ringo. If a guy as ugly as that can become a teen idol, then anybody can.:D

2-1B
05-25-2002, 01:53 AM
I never got into them and don't really care either way. I've been accused of blasphemy for that stance. :D

Croaker
05-25-2002, 07:59 AM
The Beatles are great!
The best rock band ever.

I'm living in liverpool now, you'd think they might have a classic rock radio station or something. But no. All the radio and clubs play is crap pop - Boybands, Kylie, etc.

At least the Cavern plays Beatles.

Eternal Padawan
05-25-2002, 08:23 AM
The inevitable argument starter is whether you are a "Beatles man" or an "Elvis man". Now you can like both, but eventually you hve to choose to like one better. I'm a Beatles man.

Pendo
05-25-2002, 09:01 AM
I LOVE THE BEATLES :D!!!!!

Originally posted by Croaker
The Beatles are great!
The best rock band ever.

I'm living in liverpool now, you'd think they might have a classic rock radio station or something. But no. All the radio and clubs play is crap pop - Boybands, Kylie, etc.

At least the Cavern plays Beatles.

Hey Croaker I'm in Liverpool too. Have you been in the Beatles Shop in the city center? Lots of Beatles stuff in there, pretty cool!!! :D.

PENDO!

SaeseeTiin
05-25-2002, 09:37 AM
I've loved the Beatles for years, with my favourite songs being Nowhere Man and almost any song by George Harrison (especially Here comes the Sun).
Best Album = Revolver (second = Help!)

STiin

QLD
05-25-2002, 12:33 PM
I appreciate the Beatles, but I would not say I am a fan. I enjoy some of their early songs, but don't really care for the "acid" beatles.

If I had to choose though, I would go with Elvis baby!

The King was one cool cat!

SaeseeTiin
05-25-2002, 12:41 PM
In true honesty I have to say I don't understand what all the fuss is with Elvis. I don't see why many see him as the 'Greatest' and visit shrines to him and so much.
Note, I'm not trying to start an argument here, but just giving my opinion.
What is it about Elvis that people like so much?

STiin

Jargo
05-25-2002, 01:26 PM
Quite honestly, I'm sick to death of the bloody Beatles. It's like nothing else ever came out of Liverpool. And Liverpool is such a richly diversely talented place full of artists and poets and musicians who are tons better than the Beatles. The Beatles were cool for a time back in the sixties but there is so much more to liverpool than that bloody bunch of low lifes. The Beatles museum and the Cavern are just tourist traps , there to rip you off for every penny they can while getting as rich as possible off the backs of some once local beatniks. I'm sick of falling over the bloody tourists in Cavern walks every summer. I'm sick of seeing the open top tour bus rattle round full of innocent japanese people being ripped off. The Beatles were a pop band not a rock band. The Cavern in Cavern walks is no longer there, it's underneath a car park. What you visit is a theme bar that's crap. Paul McCartnet is an arse who is a miser and a money grubber. Ringo Starr is a screwed up nobody. george harrison is dead and was a useless musician. John Lennon deserved to be shot for being an arsehole. Someone please do the same to Yoko to shut the dwarf up. People don't waste your time or money coming to Liverpool looking for the legend because what you see now is a lie and a rip off. Save your money and go buy some decent music instead.

No, I don't like the Beatles or anything remotely connected with them. I like Liverpool it's a fantastic city and I'd like to claim it back from the Beatles insanity please. Tourists go home!

QLD
05-25-2002, 01:53 PM
Jargo.....please.....tell me what you really think :D

bandontherun
05-25-2002, 02:51 PM
Elvis had a few good songs, but really nothing memorable. The Beatles, they had a lot of good stuff.

And yes bigbarada, "The Inner Light" is the title of the song, but the line is "The farther one travels the less one knows."

So what about "I Am the Walrus"? Anybody like that one?

bandontherun
05-25-2002, 03:01 PM
If you want to know a few connections between the Beatles and Star Wars, click here: http://www.beatlelinks.net/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000339.html

Yes, that's me, bandontherun there too. You're invited to join if you want.

Beast
05-25-2002, 03:02 PM
Elvis never had any really memorable songs? What the heck?
Shall we go thru the list of some of his most memorible.

Heartbreak Hotel, Hound Dog, Dont Be Cruel, Love Me Tender, Jailhouse Rock, All Shook Up, Teddy Bear, Are You Lonesome Tonight?, Return to Sender, and many more. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
05-25-2002, 03:27 PM
I like Elvis and the Beatles equally, though my father inundated me with the latter as a child. Neither are at the top of my lists, but I don't hate 'em.

sith_killer_99
05-25-2002, 03:29 PM
Oh yes, I LIKE Beatles.:D

There's:

Chocolate covered beatles
Baked beatles
Fried Beatles
Beatle pancakes
Beatle stew
Beatle GumboBeatles and potatoes

Oh, wait....you mean the band.

Well, I suppose, their best work was "Beatles 1967-70" and my fav. song is "Lucy in the Sky...with diamonds?"

LOL

But seriously. They were pretty good for their time and I still listen to a few of their old tunes. However, I prefer something a little more modern.

I agree with EJ...to a point. They were big for a while and then they pretty much fell apart. I liked the band...not the people. I don't think John should have been shot! Commie...mugh...if I can't say anything nice...

I do feel that there are other bands that were and still are every bit as great as the Beatles:

The Eagles
Pink Floyd
Aerosmith (and they're STILL making hits)
AC/DC

and arguements can be made for other bands like:

The Who
The Rolling Stones

The list goes on.

So, while I do enjoy their music from time to time I am not a BIG fan.:crazed:

bigbarada
05-25-2002, 04:50 PM
The Who is an awesome band! I like the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd too. Aerosmith, AC/DC and The Eagles where never really my cup of tea; but they have their moments. I don't hate them by any stretch of the imagination, just slightly indifferent to them.

I'm surprised you didn't list Led Zeppelin, Sith Killer, when you mentioned some of the greatest all-time rock bands.

bigbarada
05-25-2002, 04:52 PM
And who can forget Tiffany! She definitely ranks right up there with Elvis and the Beatles!:p:D

(that was for El Chuxter and his Tiffany "fan-site")

QLD
05-25-2002, 05:25 PM
El Chuxter has a Tiffany website?

That is soooooooooo awesome!

I always wanted to start one.

I think we're alone now....
There doesn't seem to be anyone around.....
I think we're alone now.....
The beating of our hearts is the only sound.....

Runnin' just as fast as we can.....
holding on to one anothers' hands.....
Trying to get away into the night....
then you put your arm around me and we tumbled to the ground and then you said...
I think we're alone now....

bigbarada
05-25-2002, 05:37 PM
Great now I'll have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day. Thanks a lot QLD!;)

QLD
05-25-2002, 05:42 PM
Well, while I am at it.........

The flowers you gave me
are just about to die
when I think about
what could've been
it makes me want to cry

The sweet words you whispered
didn't mean a thing
I guess our song is over
as we begin to sing

Could've been so beautiful
could've been so right
could've been my lover
every day of my life
could've been so beautiful
could've been so right
I'll never hold what could've been
on a cold and lonely night

JetsAndHeels
05-25-2002, 05:51 PM
BigB, I do consider Led Zeppelin to be one of the greatest rock bands of all time. The Beatles are great too, but I never really got into them as much as alot of other fans did. Some of my favorite classic rock groups are:
The Who
Aerosmith (saw them in Sept)
Led Zeppelin
AC/DC
Steve Miller Band
Rush

And I have to give mention to Jimi Hendrix, who is not a group but arguably the best ever to play a guitar.

bigbarada
05-25-2002, 06:28 PM
***puts a muzzle on QLD and wraps his head in duct tape***

Jimi Hendrix is also one of my favorite performers. I seem to remember seeing a band on the cover of his Are You Experienced? album.

Jargo
05-25-2002, 07:45 PM
Hmmm, I seem to have been a little harsh about John and Yoko don't I..... Okay, I don't really wish any harm of that nature on anyone. I just get a little exasperated at times with all the hype still after all these years. I mean you don't get that with Cilla Black do you? Step inside love and Alfie are just two of her classic hits and she rivals Dion Warwick in the last one. truly a great liverpudlian star if there ever was one.... I mean if ever there was one.

As for Elvis, his vegas years were te best IMO. Can't remember who said it but "Elvis - Too fat to live, too young to die" :D I prefer Joni Mitchell to be honest. Joan Baez, The carpenters, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Ray Charles, Nat King Cole. Proper music. :)

QLD
05-25-2002, 08:21 PM
I am running out of Tiffany songs.......

dang!

Jason B
05-25-2002, 10:31 PM
how about System of a Down? :D ;)

browndroid
05-25-2002, 10:56 PM
i dont, with the exception of a few of their "classics", its probably cause i wasnt alive when they were big hits

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-25-2002, 11:15 PM
As a big fan of music from the 60's, I surprisingly am not into the Beatles as I am some other bands from that era. I do like a few songs here and there like "Here Comes the Sun," "Hey Jude," and "Let it Be." I also like most of Lennon's solo stuff. But I much prefer to listening to songs from The Byrds, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Dylan, Steppenwolf, CCR, Tommy James & the Shondells (see Tiffany), the Association and Smokey Robinson.

bigbarada
05-26-2002, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I am running out of Tiffany songs.......

dang!

I bet you actually went to one of her shopping mall concerts.:)

Excellent choices LBC! I can't believe I left CCR off of my all-time greatest bands list.:o

Brave Sir Robin
05-26-2002, 08:40 AM
I love the Beatles.

Croaker
05-26-2002, 09:55 AM
Hey Emperor Jargo.
They make a bigger fuss in North America about the Beatles than they do in Liverpool.
The cavern wasn't that bad. I went to take some pictures for my friends back home and the prices were the same as the more expensive bars in town.
And I haven't seen that many tourists aorund there.
(even thought I have been dragged to Flares - the 70's bar next to the cavern. Uugh)

bandontherun
05-26-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Elvis never had any really memorable songs? What the heck?
Shall we go thru the list of some of his most memorible.

Heartbreak Hotel, Hound Dog, Dont Be Cruel, Love Me Tender, Jailhouse Rock, All Shook Up, Teddy Bear, Are You Lonesome Tonight?, Return to Sender, and many more. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Ok, so he had a few good songs. But he didn't write them! He had his name put on the credits of "Love Me Tender"! The Beatles wrote almost all their songs.

Jargo
05-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Croaker, wait until the real tourist season gets going. can't move for North Americans and Japanese tourists. Try getting down mathew street then. The bad weather and the fear of flying is holding the Americans back though. Maybe it'll be a little quieter this year? Hope so. I'm all for tourism but not when it eclipses everything else. Incidentally, where the cavern bar is is across the street from where the cavern actually was. I can remember walking down Mathew street when it was still undeveloped and seeing the statue high up on the wall opposite what is now cavern walks. Mathew street meant something back then when it still had a real sense of identity before the tourist trade ruined it forever, before the Beatles became a brand name. The Lennon bar, The Cavern, The Beatles shop, The Beatles museum, The mystery tour bus, Penny Lane and Strawberry fields. Ruined forever.
I mentioned Cilla Black before and you don't get tours down to the dock road and what used to be Scotty road to see where all the terraced slums used to be and all the prostitutes used to hang out. That's as much the Beatles as Mathew street. Tourism turns Liverpool into some fairytale land and it's not. The real Liverpool is bigger and better and more real than the Beatles ever were. And I still say I want to boot out the tourism and get Liverpool back.

sith_killer_99
05-26-2002, 09:18 PM
Ah, yes:

Led Zepplin
CCR
Hendrix
Steve Miller
Elvis
and many many more.

Far too many to single out the "Beatles" IMO.
EJ, sorry to hear about all those tourists. The "British Invasion" seems to be coming back to haunt England. ;)

BTW, Elvis was cool, a great singer, but I have trouble idolizing a drug addict who threw his life away. Elvis had it all and he ****$ed it away...his LIFE not just his money and his talent....but his LIFE. People say Elvis and I think...what a waste. The same thing with Hendrix.

At least Page cleaned up his act, Aerosmith, Floyd, even Ozzy!

Guy's like Elvis, Von Scott, Hendrix, etc. they died hard...wasted life.

Well, I'll get down off of my soapbox now.

JediDan
05-27-2002, 06:04 PM
No I don't like the Beatles.

Jonna
05-31-2002, 11:00 AM
Definately, but then again my tastes are all over the place: EBM, newwave, goth, industrial, punk, rock, electro-synth pop, britpop, 80's, trans, techno, etc.

JEDIpartner
05-31-2002, 11:12 AM
Well... yeah!!!

They are Hella Cool!