PDA

View Full Version : Did something I wish I didn't

Dooku Fett
05-25-2002, 01:02 PM
Back in '95 when Kenner started making the Star Wars figures again and they weren't popular, I bought all of the first ones. And the one I wish I would have kept in the package is my Obi-Wan figure. It was the long lightsaber, half body photo. And it's now worth over $50 :cry:
Oh well. I was young and got some use out of it :cool:

Turbowars
05-25-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Dooku Fett
Back in '95 when Kenner started making the Star Wars figures again and they weren't popular, I bought all of the first ones. And the one I wish I would have kept in the package is my Obi-Wan figure. It was the long lightsaber, half body photo. And it's now worth over $50 :cry:
Oh well. I was young and got some use out of it :cool: So if you would have kept Ben in his package, would you sell him? You really should worry about the value of your collection, unless you sell for proffit. I don't open my stuff because I think it looks better in the package. I know my Freeze Frame Weequay is valued at $400+ and I wouldn't dream of selling it, nor do I think wow it worth sooo much. Just my view on things.

Dooku Fett
05-25-2002, 03:41 PM
No I wouldn't sell it. I would have just watch the value keep rising and maybe pass it on to my kids. I do have Boba Fett figure that's worth about $20 so maybe the price will keep rising...

Turbowars
05-25-2002, 03:47 PM
I wish our new stuff like POTF2 and POTJ would hold it value, but after about a year or two the value drops and no one wants the figures anymore. This new stuf just doesn't stand up to the 1977 vintage figures. I don't see yours or my kids going to college with the help of our collection. If I was only older when StarWars came out.

Dooku Fett
05-25-2002, 04:02 PM
The reason why I collect figures is just to see if it would be worth anyting in the future. I don't expect any of my figures to be worth a fortune, I just collect because I like to. And people tell me to grow up and stop buying toys and I just say "So I like to collect Star Wars toys. So what?!"
Right now my most valuble Star Wars figure I have is my unopened Boba Fett.

MichaelV103
05-25-2002, 07:08 PM
I am 28 and collect Star Wars figures because I LOVE STAR WARS! I always have and always will. I collect the figures now for 2 reasons, one because it brings back great memories of playing for hours on end with all my figures. Second when I was about 14 my stepfather threw away 2 boxes of all my star wars toys from when I was younger. Of course most of the figures werent complete and the ships may have been a little worn, but they were worth more money than anyone could ever pay me for them. So collecting now isnt about the money, but just my pure simple love of Star Wars, even when my wife yells at me for "wasting money on toys".

Turbowars
05-25-2002, 09:51 PM
Hey it's not wasting money,if it's somthing you enjoy. Hell people spend the same or more money on cigarets and beer and those can kill you. It's like any hobby, you spend lots of money

Dooku Fett
05-25-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Hey it's not wasting money,if it's somthing you enjoy. Hell people spend the same or more money on cigarets and beer and those can kill you. It's like any hobby, you spend lots of money

That's exactly what it's all about. But still, people just don't get it. They have such simple minds :frus:

JediTricks
05-26-2002, 09:16 PM
You think that's bad? I bought a long-saber Vader and didn't like the saber length so I bought a regular-lenght Vader, and then returned it with the long saber in the short saber's place in the tray!

jjreason
05-28-2002, 01:27 AM
Now that's good. I was really cranky about the first 9 figures. I was mad about the "buffness" and the length of the sabers. I had Obi Wan and Darth duelling for about a week, and both sabers looked "impotent" after that time. They had actually begun to wilt or bend under their own weight. Im happier with my regular length models as far as loose figures go. It's crazy to look at the first few runs and compare them with the new stuff - the improvements are pretty obvious in terms of detail. Quality of materials on the other hand....

ACPin
05-29-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
You think that's bad? I bought a long-saber Vader and didn't like the saber length so I bought a regular-lenght Vader, and then returned it with the long saber in the short saber's place in the tray!
At least I didn't return the Luke SS/LT (http://acpinimages.homestead.com/files/Luke_Tatooine_SS_LT_front.jpg) that I bought from FAO after I found the SS version and much cheaper at TRU. Didn't think about it being very valuable, just thought it was different from the rest. :D

jjreason
05-29-2002, 11:32 AM
Wow. Hopefully you didn't spend a pile replacing that one. Odds are some 9 yr. old picked it up, opened it up and lost the lightsaber anyhow. Or, some 40 yr. old could have found it and cried for joy. Either way, that person got some happpiness out of it. That's my communist way of trying to help you feel better.....

Vortex
05-31-2002, 08:23 PM
I have a hunch that 10-20 years from now our figures won't be worth a hill of beans on the secondary market. I highly doubt that they will have the same return as the originals. The kids these days just don't have the passion we do, and I don't see a lot of kids with their folks buying figures or kids throwing tantrums in the isles for figs like I did.

I do plan on selling the unopened ones after the 3rd movie when there's still a buzz about the movies and toys, but there's no way I'd expect to get that 50 for that obi-wan long saber, or 22 for some .00 figure, when the .01 or .02 are the same figure. I can try, but for some reason it doesn't seem right that the same toy, on a different collection card or .00 diget should be more than another one when the toy is exactly the same. What's more important the figure or the card its on?

Plus there are a lot of us collectors on here, and out there that are hoarding lots of figs hoping for some big pay-off in 20 years or so. Too many collectors with mint collections, and not a big enough market in the future.

Turbowars
05-31-2002, 08:54 PM
[i]Originally posted by tjo

I do plan on selling the unopened ones after the 3rd movie when there's still a buzz about the movies and toys, but there's no way I'd expect to get that 50 for that obi-wan long saber, or 22 for some .00 figure, when the .01 or .02 are the same figure. I can try, but for some reason it doesn't seem right that the same toy, on a different collection card or .00 diget should be more than another one when the toy is exactly the same. What's more important the figure or the card its on?

[/B] Well if you plan on selling them after the 3rd movie, thats doesn't make you much of a collector now does it? I think it's more on the grounds of scalping. If you buy up these figures and turn around to make profit. Why do you care about the value? A collector doesn't base his or her collection on value alone, unless they are more of a cash collector. If you are going to collect rare carded figures, you would want the .00 1st issue cards. To some, the card or figure are more important than one or the other. It all depends on the Collector. I tell you what, what do you think a collector is going to be looking for after the 3rd movie, a figure with a creased card and dented bubble? I would say they are going to go for a MOMC. That's my 2 cents

Vortex
06-01-2002, 02:27 AM
Well if you plan on selling them after the 3rd movie, thats doesn't make you much of a collector now does it? I think it's more on the grounds of scalping. If you buy up these figures and turn around to make profit. Why do you care about the value? A collector doesn't base his or her collection on value alone, unless they are more of a cash collector. If you are going to collect rare carded figures, you would want the .00 1st issue cards. To some, the card or figure are more important than one or the other. It all depends on the Collector. I tell you what, what do you think a collector is going to be looking for after the 3rd movie, a figure with a creased card and dented bubble? I would say they are going to go for a MOMC. That's my 2 cents

I think we have two different ideas and definitions to "Collector" and "collecting"...correct me if I'm mistaken but you're in a sense calling me a scalper since I plan on unloading part of my collection.

And in a few of your earlier replies you were making comments about the value of the figs not coming close to the vintage lines, and hoping they hold their value? And you wished you were older when star wars 1st came out? Isn't what you wrote above a little 2 sided? Especially from some one throwing around some pricing of your own collection? I wonder what you think of yourself...scalper or collector, or a cash collector?

So do you see me as a collector or just one of the bad guys out there? Just for the record, and clarification I do collect old and new for myself, I'm collecting the old original carded figs to go along with the ones I played with as a kid, cause I like them and they bring back memories. Plus I think the old cards are way better than the junk today. I don't plan on parting with these items, and there are items I have now I don't plan on getting rid of because they are important to me personally. I don't do the 12", only buy the ships I like, and I pass on the accessories and other stuff I have no liking for. I have little attachment to the figs now since its a different time in my life, but I want them since they are part of the star wars saga. I read the books, own almost all the video games, and to me that's my collection, since its part of who I am, and what I did as a kid. I see myself as a collector, and heck I hate scalpers just as much as you probably do. I even started a thread a while back about it, cause I was getting sick of the price wars, and us as collectors constantly giving in to them and making things worse for ourselves.

I'm dumping the mint, carded figures part of my so called collection, because A) They are taking up way too much space in my basement. B) I've sunk lord only knows how much into buying 1 extra figure. C) I might as well help out another "collector" who never could find a figure, or just started their own collection, cause I don't need a carded fig or want a carded figure. D) Odds favor the line going into the crapper after the last movie anyway. I don't want to try to unload the collection and get below the original 5 to 7 dollars I originally had to pay for them. The market will be flooded with every collector/scalper dumping their 2, 8, 10 extra figs or clearning out space in the basement for something else. I'm just looking for even cash or what some one deems fair to finish off their collection. So do you still think and see me as a scalper and not a true collector as your message elludes?

I honestly don't care about the "market" value since it all depends on the buyer as you stated. I just look at the those prices in Lee's and what they had on this site and laugh. Its a projected number, and I'd like to know where they get those figures from. If they take some of the sponsors prices, target, or wal-mart prices and average them, or even ebay listings, their numbers are way off, the price range is all over the scale. So the cash factor means nothing to me.

And I'm totally lost with your last few statements about the wants of the collector. But I do agree that its all up the individual collector and what they want, but I'm lost with your flow from selling to collectors wanting MOMC...I do under that's what they want, and that's what I'm offering to them at a later date but I think I'm missing more of your line of thought. But lets see if this is where you were headed on the topic of rare cards...to be honest, this is totally bogus, and if you're going to be picky about a .00 vs a .01 or .02, you might as well buy every figure you see since every card and figure is diffent. And who's to say what a perfect card or figure is? Think about it this way...

Why should a logo change, text change, assortment # make a carded figure worth more? It shouldn't. Odds are you'll never display the back of a card, so what is the big mental deal about a .00 vs. a .01? Who can tell by looking at the front of a card what collection its from unless its labeled on the front? What mental reasoning is there to it? Is it status? Personal? What connection is there? If you were a true die hard collector you'd buy every figure on the pegs since they all are differnt. Look at your figures really closely. This is quite common in the architectural field, and this holds true for anything that's mass produced and has lost of color or paint in it. Every collection 1 or .00 will vary from another .00. Paint changes hues from every can. Even if its produced in massive quantities, the pigment settles or isn't distributed properly so all the figures will vary slightly, same holds true for plastic...so if you are a die hard collector looking for the rare MOMC cards shouldn't you also want to own every .00 since the figure varies like the backs of their cards? And what exactly is a MOMC card? No creases? No tears, how about a slight warp to the cardboard? How about if the images are slightly off center, slightly sloped or canted? If the blister is canted? If you inspect a card close enough you will find some blemish. Those cards are nothing more than glue, and compressed paper, run through machines that aren't designed for precision work, just mass quantity. Keeping the card in plastic and in a cool space, no matter what you do, moisture and time will break that glue down and MOMC won't apply for long.

But hey you are right in your thinking that its all up the collector and what they want, but really people take a second out, step back and take a look and think about this whole thing rationally. Why go crazy over nothing and small un-noticible changes...its still just a little toy and piece of you some how.

Turbowars
06-01-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by tjovonovich

I think we have two different ideas and definitions to "Collector" and "collecting"...correct me if I'm mistaken but you're in a sense calling me a scalper since I plan on unloading part of my collection.

And in a few of your earlier replies you were making comments about the value of the figs not coming close to the vintage lines, and hoping they hold their value? And you wished you were older when star wars 1st came out? Isn't what you wrote above a little 2 sided? Especially from some one throwing around some pricing of your own collection? I wonder what you think of yourself...scalper or collector, or a cash collector?

So do you see me as a collector or just one of the bad guys out there? Just for the record, and clarification I do collect old and new for myself, I'm collecting the old original carded figs to go along with the ones I played with as a kid, cause I like them and they bring back memories. Plus I think the old cards are way better than the junk today. I don't plan on parting with these items, and there are items I have now I don't plan on getting rid of because they are important to me personally. I don't do the 12", only buy the ships I like, and I pass on the accessories and other stuff I have no liking for. I have little attachment to the figs now since its a different time in my life, but I want them since they are part of the star wars saga. I read the books, own almost all the video games, and to me that's my collection, since its part of who I am, and what I did as a kid. I see myself as a collector, and heck I hate scalpers just as much as you probably do. I even started a thread a while back about it, cause I was getting sick of the price wars, and us as collectors constantly giving in to them and making things worse for ourselves.

I'm dumping the mint, carded figures part of my so called collection, because A) They are taking up way too much space in my basement. B) I've sunk lord only knows how much into buying 1 extra figure. C) I might as well help out another "collector" who never could find a figure, or just started their own collection, cause I don't need a carded fig or want a carded figure. D) Odds favor the line going into the crapper after the last movie anyway. I don't want to try to unload the collection and get below the original 5 to 7 dollars I originally had to pay for them. The market will be flooded with every collector/scalper dumping their 2, 8, 10 extra figs or clearning out space in the basement for something else. I'm just looking for even cash or what some one deems fair to finish off their collection. So do you still think and see me as a scalper and not a true collector as your message elludes?

I honestly don't care about the "market" value since it all depends on the buyer as you stated. I just look at the those prices in Lee's and what they had on this site and laugh. Its a projected number, and I'd like to know where they get those figures from. If they take some of the sponsors prices, target, or wal-mart prices and average them, or even ebay listings, their numbers are way off, the price range is all over the scale. So the cash factor means nothing to me.

And I'm totally lost with your last few statements about the wants of the collector. But I do agree that its all up the individual collector and what they want, but I'm lost with your flow from selling to collectors wanting MOMC...I do under that's what they want, and that's what I'm offering to them at a later date but I think I'm missing more of your line of thought. But lets see if this is where you were headed on the topic of rare cards...to be honest, this is totally bogus, and if you're going to be picky about a .00 vs a .01 or .02, you might as well buy every figure you see since every card and figure is diffent. And who's to say what a perfect card or figure is? Think about it this way...

Why should a logo change, text change, assortment # make a carded figure worth more? It shouldn't. Odds are you'll never display the back of a card, so what is the big mental deal about a .00 vs. a .01? Who can tell by looking at the front of a card what collection its from unless its labeled on the front? What mental reasoning is there to it? Is it status? Personal? What connection is there? If you were a true die hard collector you'd buy every figure on the pegs since they all are differnt. Look at your figures really closely. This is quite common in the architectural field, and this holds true for anything that's mass produced and has lost of color or paint in it. Every collection 1 or .00 will vary from another .00. Paint changes hues from every can. Even if its produced in massive quantities, the pigment settles or isn't distributed properly so all the figures will vary slightly, same holds true for plastic...so if you are a die hard collector looking for the rare MOMC cards shouldn't you also want to own every .00 since the figure varies like the backs of their cards? And what exactly is a MOMC card? No creases? No tears, how about a slight warp to the cardboard? How about if the images are slightly off center, slightly sloped or canted? If the blister is canted? If you inspect a card close enough you will find some blemish. Those cards are nothing more than glue, and compressed paper, run through machines that aren't designed for precision work, just mass quantity. Keeping the card in plastic and in a cool space, no matter what you do, moisture and time will break that glue down and MOMC won't apply for long.

But hey you are right in your thinking that its all up the collector and what they want, but really people take a second out, step back and take a look and think about this whole thing rationally. Why go crazy over nothing and small un-noticible changes...its still just a little toy and piece of you some how. Yes I did say something about value, but I said a collector doesn't base his or her collection on value "ALONE". As for the .00 deal, I was just saying that some collectors that want the more rare cards, they would only want the .00 back backs due to the fact, that they were the 1st run. To some thats important. I did say my Weequay has a value of $400 and I paid that for it, but I did also say I don't care. Yes I do wish I was older when StarWars 1st came out, why? Because I could have bought them at retail and not some $250-$1000 a figure. Collectors that buy figures with the future idea of selling for profit are scalpers. If thats what you do, that's fine. It's not cool. If you buy for the love of the figures and you plan on keeping them, that's a collector. What I say is loosly said and my finger isn't pointed directly at you. You ask me what I think of myself, well I'm hardcore collector that collects only carded figures and errors and variations. For me to buy a figure it has to be C-9.5 or greater. I have never made profit on selling figures. If I have sold things, I lost money or broke even. I'm sure you arn't a scalper, but I just think if you only buy to sell later, just leave them for some other collector that needs it.

JON9000
06-01-2002, 10:20 AM
I have Luke, Vader, and Obi Wan with long sabers- all opened! Now I wait awhile before opening, just on the chance I have something rare!

Vortex
06-01-2002, 01:20 PM
Yes I did say something about value, but I said a collector doesn't base his or her collection on value "ALONE". As for the .00 deal, I was just saying that some collectors that want the more rare cards, they would only want the .00 back backs due to the fact, that they were the 1st run. To some thats important. I did say my Weequay has a value of $400 and I paid that for it, but I did also say I don't care. Yes I do wish I was older when StarWars 1st came out, why? Because I could have bought them at retail and not some $250-$1000 a figure. Collectors that buy figures with the future idea of selling for profit are scalpers. If thats what you do, that's fine. It's not cool. If you buy for the love of the figures and you plan on keeping them, that's a collector. What I say is loosly said and my finger isn't pointed directly at you. You ask me what I think of myself, well I'm hardcore collector that collects only carded figures and errors and variations. For me to buy a figure it has to be C-9.5 or greater. I have never made profit on selling figures. If I have sold things, I lost money or broke even. I'm sure you arn't a scalper, but I just think if you only buy to sell later, just leave them for some other collector that needs it.

Ok, that I can deal with. They want a first run. Great, no problem. To each his own. You're right to some that's important.

If you really are as passionate about it, like you seem to be, from you're signature piece, what's a few hundred for something you love? Or are you just not willing to pay that much or go through a collector/seller/scalper for those items? I on occasion fork out that much for a piece or two I really want.

We can argue the collector/scalper bit all day if we wanted to, but we won't get anywhere with it. And I'm starting to see a large grey area in this conversation because of two very diffent view points that are coming up.

I have my lot I'm keeping, as do you, but I'm little different cause I happen to have 1 more figure of each on a card still, that I do plan on re-selling. I view myself as a collector by your definition, as you so say, "buy for the love of the figures and you plan on keeping them, that's a collector." Hence we both are...but the only difference is I'm going to just out of the game later when this line is done after the last movie (toy advertisement is gone), and give some one else a chance to collect.

I'm sure every day some one new joins our ranks, and I know they'll have a hard time finding this or that, since its no longer in production, or hardly hit the pegs, and there's where I will step in and help out. You say profit on toys is bad, but take a look at it this way. You are providing a service on rare items that you were fortunate enough to find and collect at some given time, you have the figs, you've stored the figs over time and on your property, so what is technically wrong for a small up charge, if there is one? Mind you I said small if there even was one.

Its no different than a job. We work for a base payscale, but the boss sells our time to the client at a much higher rate to cover his overhead (original cost of the figs), make a profit (gives you a chance to collect other big ticket items), and keep the business afloat (you have enough cushion to keep your collection in one piece if you hit hard times). I'd love to get straight pay for what the boss sells my time out at, but know its not possible. Just like its probably not over possible to sell some figs for 50 bucks...

You feel that anyone selling for more is not cool. Hate to break this to you, but all those retail chains that you buy from, are what you probably would view as a scapler. Unless you, yourself, are buying directly from hasbro at their cost price, you are paying marked up prices. Do you avoid or protest a K-Mart because they are 3 cents higher than a wal-mart?

I hate scalping too, especially the guys who up the price 3 fold or more. I personally couldn't do that. I can't stand the guys who do, and I feel sorry for the person with the obsession that they have to have it now at whatever the cost. That's not collecting for fun or love, that's a greed and a slight sickness.

You say you've sold for even money or a loss? One question? If you only collect carded figures, and ask me to leave them on the pegs for others...why are you yourself SELLING at a lower price? And why did you use the word IF? Have you really sold for less or even? You'd remember if you did. Its nice you're doing some one a huge favor...but I'm confused as to why you tell me to leave figs for other collectors, like you, the guy next door, the little kid, when you yourself sell one from your collection? Does this mean you have more than one also? Why aren't you leaving stuff on the pegs yourself if you have your errors or variations? Aren't you doing the same thing I am? I'm guessing that you have more than one of some or all the figs? So aren't you taking away from other collectors too, like myself? Just personally courious.

If I could actually get figures here locally in St. Paul and Minneapolis I'd definitly only take the 2 I need. But with the countless scalpers, retailers who don't restock or order cases, I can't do that here. A lot of the saga figures, EP I figs never seen the light of day here. I don't have local access to every figure, so I have to find other means to complete my collection with the figures I want. A large chunk of my collection I had to get from some of the Sponsors on this site. I wasn't happy paying 2-3 times as much, but I wanted the figures for personal reasons, and I know that if I can't find it, some one else locally can't either, hence the reason for 2. when I get out of the game, I will make some one else happy, cause I did a little work to get that hard to find figure.

And just so I can understand this whole variation bit better, and error bit better, why do you personally do it? I honestly don't see the reason or rational behind it. An error or variation is a mistake? Would you keep a BMW if it came off the assembly line with a VW hood orniment? Would you collect microwaves if they shipped without a door? How about a toaster in a blender box?
This whole fasination about errors and variations just boggles my mind. Why would you pay more or want a defective, not true figure? I've some of the varriants in the carded collection, since I didn't want it. Its wrong, its a mistake. Everywhere else a mistake is taken off the line, thrown away, destroyed...why do you personally view it as important? Again, just personally courious. I'm trying to figure out why people do what the do, and why some one like something, and for what reasons.

But turbowars, its nothing personal, really it isn't. We just don't see eye to eye. You question my motifs, and at the same time I see reverse logic in yours. You're happy with your collection and you do what you need to do to keep it that way, and I do the same. I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye, but at least we have the joy for figs and memories in common.

Thanks for the philosophical banter, its been fun, and I'm sure we'll meet again on a post, and I am courious as to why you collect errors...but good luck with your hunts.

Lman316
06-01-2002, 06:39 PM
The first figure that I bought was a POTF2 Vader....with a long saber. I didn't really know about its "rarity" and at the time, I didn't care....I still don't. I had fun playing with Vader and the Jedi Luke that I got with him. But I thought it was funny that Vader's saber was the same length as the figure, yet Lukes wasn't. It took me a while to find out that it was worth something and why Luke's wasn't as big :crazed:.

End :).

JON9000
06-01-2002, 08:32 PM
Your poor Luke must suffer from saber envy.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2002, 10:02 PM
My carded POTF2 figures:
Brown vest Jedi Luke
Theater Edition Luke
Lando Calrissian (there's a reason why; long story)
Green C-3PO
Han in Carbonite

That's it. I'm an opener.

But I passed on a full circle on one hand Fett because I thought it looked weird. I also passed on several blue border (collection 3) FF figures because I already had the hologram versions. But I don't regret any of those decisions.

KornStarX
06-01-2002, 10:25 PM
I also did something I wish I didn't...
In 1998 when I used to play with these toys, I was looking for a boba Fett to go with my Slave 1, The only Boba Fett I ever found was a FF one. Little did I know that it was very rare and I opened it :cry:. Now I don't open any figures unless I know that they aren't rare, I've learned my lesson!

Turbowars
06-02-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by tjovonovich

Ok, that I can deal with. They want a first run. Great, no problem. To each his own. You're right to some that's important.

If you really are as passionate about it, like you seem to be, from you're signature piece, what's a few hundred for something you love? Or are you just not willing to pay that much or go through a collector/seller/scalper for those items? I on occasion fork out that much for a piece or two I really want.

We can argue the collector/scalper bit all day if we wanted to, but we won't get anywhere with it. And I'm starting to see a large grey area in this conversation because of two very diffent view points that are coming up.

I have my lot I'm keeping, as do you, but I'm little different cause I happen to have 1 more figure of each on a card still, that I do plan on re-selling. I view myself as a collector by your definition, as you so say, "buy for the love of the figures and you plan on keeping them, that's a collector." Hence we both are...but the only difference is I'm going to just out of the game later when this line is done after the last movie (toy advertisement is gone), and give some one else a chance to collect.

I'm sure every day some one new joins our ranks, and I know they'll have a hard time finding this or that, since its no longer in production, or hardly hit the pegs, and there's where I will step in and help out. You say profit on toys is bad, but take a look at it this way. You are providing a service on rare items that you were fortunate enough to find and collect at some given time, you have the figs, you've stored the figs over time and on your property, so what is technically wrong for a small up charge, if there is one? Mind you I said small if there even was one.

Its no different than a job. We work for a base payscale, but the boss sells our time to the client at a much higher rate to cover his overhead (original cost of the figs), make a profit (gives you a chance to collect other big ticket items), and keep the business afloat (you have enough cushion to keep your collection in one piece if you hit hard times). I'd love to get straight pay for what the boss sells my time out at, but know its not possible. Just like its probably not over possible to sell some figs for 50 bucks...

You feel that anyone selling for more is not cool. Hate to break this to you, but all those retail chains that you buy from, are what you probably would view as a scapler. Unless you, yourself, are buying directly from hasbro at their cost price, you are paying marked up prices. Do you avoid or protest a K-Mart because they are 3 cents higher than a wal-mart?

I hate scalping too, especially the guys who up the price 3 fold or more. I personally couldn't do that. I can't stand the guys who do, and I feel sorry for the person with the obsession that they have to have it now at whatever the cost. That's not collecting for fun or love, that's a greed and a slight sickness.

You say you've sold for even money or a loss? One question? If you only collect carded figures, and ask me to leave them on the pegs for others...why are you yourself SELLING at a lower price? And why did you use the word IF? Have you really sold for less or even? You'd remember if you did. Its nice you're doing some one a huge favor...but I'm confused as to why you tell me to leave figs for other collectors, like you, the guy next door, the little kid, when you yourself sell one from your collection? Does this mean you have more than one also? Why aren't you leaving stuff on the pegs yourself if you have your errors or variations? Aren't you doing the same thing I am? I'm guessing that you have more than one of some or all the figs? So aren't you taking away from other collectors too, like myself? Just personally courious.

If I could actually get figures here locally in St. Paul and Minneapolis I'd definitly only take the 2 I need. But with the countless scalpers, retailers who don't restock or order cases, I can't do that here. A lot of the saga figures, EP I figs never seen the light of day here. I don't have local access to every figure, so I have to find other means to complete my collection with the figures I want. A large chunk of my collection I had to get from some of the Sponsors on this site. I wasn't happy paying 2-3 times as much, but I wanted the figures for personal reasons, and I know that if I can't find it, some one else locally can't either, hence the reason for 2. when I get out of the game, I will make some one else happy, cause I did a little work to get that hard to find figure.

And just so I can understand this whole variation bit better, and error bit better, why do you personally do it? I honestly don't see the reason or rational behind it. An error or variation is a mistake? Would you keep a BMW if it came off the assembly line with a VW hood orniment? Would you collect microwaves if they shipped without a door? How about a toaster in a blender box?
This whole fasination about errors and variations just boggles my mind. Why would you pay more or want a defective, not true figure? I've some of the varriants in the carded collection, since I didn't want it. Its wrong, its a mistake. Everywhere else a mistake is taken off the line, thrown away, destroyed...why do you personally view it as important? Again, just personally courious. I'm trying to figure out why people do what the do, and why some one like something, and for what reasons.

But turbowars, its nothing personal, really it isn't. We just don't see eye to eye. You question my motifs, and at the same time I see reverse logic in yours. You're happy with your collection and you do what you need to do to keep it that way, and I do the same. I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye, but at least we have the joy for figs and memories in common.

Thanks for the philosophical banter, its been fun, and I'm sure we'll meet again on a post, and I am courious as to why you collect errors...but good luck with your hunts. OK here we go. #1 Don't take this wrong, but NO SH_T Walmart and K-mart charges more than what they buy it for. The only way around that is to open an account with Hasbro with a minimum 1st order of $5000 and then each reorder a minimum of $1000. I don't have the cash. #2 When I started collecting in 95 I had a great idea of buying 2 each of every figure. One to open one to keep carded, you know display the open in front of the carded. Well I opened a few and honestly I hate the figures, they suck. I love the packaging and the way they are displayed in the bubble. I have traded most of my extras to friends and some collectors from Japan and even here on these forums. I get about .99 to $3 for them on e-bay. I have a few extra Greend cards and FF left, but they are all the commons that no one wants. I stopped buying 2 ea after the Freeze Frames and no I did not have 2 Weequay's. #3 I don't understand why people keep bring up full size cars and comparing them with Star Wars figures. There's another thread herer that does that. Anyways it has been said many times, but I collect errors and variations because it give me something to collect when theres no new figures out and most of these errors and variations are the very 1st run of the figure. One that I can think of that is not is Cap Piett FF when they corrected the sticker way at the end of his run and that made him rare. You really can't compare a $60,000 car to a toy figure. Errors makes collecting for me more intesting and I'll tell you it's not easy finding errors and it's not cheap either. I have about close to 700 carded figures and thats including from 95 POTF2 to ACOTC No it's not personal and I'm sure we we meet again here on the forums. If we all agree with each other what would be the point to these forums? Good luck out there!

Vortex
06-02-2002, 12:13 PM
Points are well taken, and thanks for the info. Yea I will admit the open figs do rot a bit. But in any case thanks for the info and see ya in another thread.

Vortex
06-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Oh yea, the car analogies...I use it since its a polar opposite, and I've probably sunk enough into my collection which would be about the same price as a nice new sporty car. I think I'm well up over 8,000 or pretty darn close...makes me shudder sometimes that I'm using that much cash on simple toys. The whole car thing sort of puts it into perspective. Honestly sometimes people in this forum split hairs about his hobby, and fail to see the big picture. The car is on the other end of the spectrum, and sometimes it does help bring you back to reality. The collectors sometimes pay well up over 100 dollars for a painted 3-3/4" piece of plastic, like their lives depend on it. You could make the same reference with an expensive car and get the same result. Most sane people wouldn't pay 20 times more for a car...that's unreal, but some of the collectors on here do for figs. Just a reference piece. Or that's my take on it.

Its silly to focus on something so small and trival as a toy, as it is to focus on a large big buck item...you really don't need a toy, and really don't need an expensive sports car.