PDA

View Full Version : Hoarding/Scalping Runs Rampant!!!

Sidiously Darth
05-25-2002, 09:39 PM
I don't know about the rest of the country but Florida has been hit with a new wave of hoarding and scalping. We all thought this had disappeared. Finding new stuff had been rather easy for the past 2 years. I think that all started to change with the rerelease of the R2-Q5 wave. One day there was tons of Imp. droids hanging. 2 days later, all gone. It was like the Bermuda Triangle made landfall and swallowed them all up.

Let's fastfoward to the present, as in today. A friend of mine stashed an Orn Free Taa for me at one of the local Targets. Now don't get all soapboxy on hiding stuff and read the rest of the post.:p Well, I get to the store and see about 5 Orns hanging on the peg. I take one and go looking for the stashed figure. It's not in the designated hiding spot. Maybe it was reshelved.:confused: Doesn't matter b/c I have one and hopefully others will too.

I head back to the SW aisle and find a Massiff. Uh-Oh! Didn't bring enough money for 2 figures. (I pay cash for all my SW purchases for all those that are curious.:D ) So I stash my Orn for my eventual return w/ more cash and purchase the Massiff.

3 hours later, I return to said Target, get hidden Orn and check out SW aisle again. What the ****! Every Orn(5), Vader(2), Endor Trooper(3), Massiff(1), Taun We(?) & Lumi(?) are now gone. GD(Gosh Darn) scalper/hoarder/hot wheel collectors are at it again.

If I hadn't hidden that Orn, it would be sitting on ebay, at some flea market or trade bait for a hot wheels collector. The first 2 trying to get much more than the $5.99 for it. Thank goodness for a friend trying to look out for me and a decent hiding place or I'd be out of luck - a collector who generally buys one of each except for army builders and opens everything. I hope the cards on all those other figures dryrot overnight!:frus: Bunch of :greedy: butt:Pirate: s!!!

Sorry for the rant!

Beast
05-25-2002, 09:47 PM
Well, you don't have any proof that the stuff was scalped. 3 hours is alot of time, and collectors in the hunt for new toys hit stores all the time. Especially with store reports of all these new waves out there.

And from your post, the figure with the biggest amount left was Orn Free Taa. The rest of them are definatly possible regular collector purchases. Alot of people hunt for figures for friends and collecting clubs also, so you can't always immediatly assume scalpers unless you catch them in the act. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
05-25-2002, 09:50 PM
True, but then again Lumi and Taun We aren't that hard to find in a lot of places so... Plus Orn Free Taa might not be too wanted by alot of people because he doesn't really do anything in the movie so...

Sidiously Darth
05-26-2002, 01:03 AM
You both have very good points, but I don't think those really fit the case around here.

Remeber, I'm not talking about just one store here. I'm talking about many. A friend of mine caught a guy stocking up on Yoda's at one of the local TRUs yesterday.

I hope it is collectors that bought the figures, but I have a bad feeling it's not. Those pegs had that "we've just been pilaged" look. I know what I'm talking about, I've seen it before... many times.:cry:

DarthBrandon
05-26-2002, 01:22 AM
I agree with Sidiously, when you see someone with an overabundance of the same figures, he's there to make some money on E-bay. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. They don't care about us collectors or the kids that want these figures.
They are in it for the almighty dollar and that's that. I was also at a store and saw a guy with tons of Yodas and Dookus, so it just makes sense that he's going to put them on E-bay, I mean who wants 10 Yodas and 10 Dookus. I want one to open sometimes and one to keep carded, I don't do this with all the figures though. People shouldn't have to pay top dollar for something that was bought up by scalpers. The Dooku thing is an example of this. I waited it out and sure enough I got two like I wanted and plenty more went to others. Why pay 30 to 50 dollars when in my opinion it's only worth 6 or 7 dollars. Dont' support them B*******.

JON9000
05-26-2002, 03:17 PM
I think hoarders are fooling themselves at this stage. Remember right after Ep I was released how difficult it was to find a Maul (at least it was around here)? Eventually they were everywhere. All of these early figures have such a wide distribution that it should be relatively easy to find what you are looking for eventually. I worry more about the later waves like the final EpI figures. Never even saw Sio Bibble in the store.

Ebay prices have come down to store levels for Dooku and Yoda as far as I can tell. Happy hunting.

Turbowars
05-26-2002, 03:37 PM
You know what ****es me off is when one one figure is missing from the wave. That seems to happen alot at target.

Mace Windex
05-26-2002, 10:26 PM
There are figs that I have NEVER seen on the shelves for that very reason! However, I will be the first to admit that in the past I paid for many of my SW figs thanks to selling others on e-bay. But I'm not the type to buy everything. As an example, I have one Dooku and Yoda (both opened) and when I have come across a store that has only one of each on the pegs I pass them by so that others may have the chance. Too bad none of those 12 inch Jangos are around. I wouldn't mind selling a few on e-bay to pay for the rest of my stash!

tagmac
05-26-2002, 10:32 PM
Here's a story that'll probably anger a bunch of you. Remember when Kay-Bee got in the Lobot wave and the Blast Shield Luke waves about a year or so after they were released? Due to their low availability when they first came out, I had bought both sets at a local flea market. Now, a year later, I walk in and see a couple left on the pegs, wanting only a second 3-PO (w/ removable limbs). I look to my right, and there's this moron stacking the figures up into 4 THREE-FOOT PILES!!!!! The SOB must have had about 20 of each figure. And he wasn't even done yet - he went back and finished cleaning off the pegs of whatever was left of the 8 figures, leaving only the "peg warmers" from the other waves. I had worked in that store a year earlier, and hwen I went back, I asked my old co-worker why the hell they allowed the guy to buy all of those. Of course, I got no answer. But when I asked if more would be coming in, he told me no.

This story does have a happy ending, though. I went back a week later, and sure enough, they had dozens of these figs on the pegs again. This time, I got my 3-PO, and the figs actually remained available for a number of weeks. To this day, I still take solace in knowing that the loser who walked out with all those figures, expecting to retire from the profits, probably got stuck with them all since they were still easy to find for weeks at normal prices.

Darth Narcis
05-27-2002, 01:29 AM
I have had MANY encounters with those bastard scalpers... just today, i witnessed some guy in his late 30's, of course, balding, w/ back hair, buying (8)Darth Vader Bespins, (4) Bespin Lukes, a couple of windus, and several dookus. I went back to the star wars display and the other isles and all i could find was (1!) vader. it wasnt even in great shape... im tired of this scalping mess, no one ends up too rich in the process, i even tried selling some mauls a couple years back, that i had bought several of, thinking i could sell them later... nothing good comes out of high prices...

darth chuck
05-27-2002, 01:41 AM
My local Walmart doesn't play scalper games. I have actually seen them tell some guy "no" when he pulled up to the counter with an entire shopping cart filled with star wars/hot wheels. They told him that the items were collectors' items and limited him to two of each. They seem to know the difference between scalpers and collectors, too. Usually, I buy just one or two of each figure, but occasionally, I buy more of "army builder" figs. They have never limited me to just two.

Also, by the same token, figures dissapear quickly to collectors as well. The same store had unloaded a couple of cases of new figures one day just before I arrived. Another collector had taken exactly two of each figure from the cases. I did the same, and when I returned an hour or two later, the remaining figures were gone.

I have actually benefitted from scalpers once or twice. When the scalpers cannot sell figs at the local flea market, they return them to Walmart for a refund. I have actually found rare figures, usually individual ones that came in different case assortments on the pegs many months after they were originally released.

DarthChuckMc
05-27-2002, 11:39 AM
Sorry, I just had to post because there are two other DARTH's already ;)

sith_killer_99
05-27-2002, 12:43 PM
Ah, nothing pleases me more than the knowledge that a scalper just got burned.:D

I ran into a few of these idiots back during the EP1 fiasco, and right after, during the great Hasbro purge!

I remember when the FF R2-D2, Lobot waves first hit (re-hit) back in summer of 99! I went into TRU and saw these in the bins for the first time and there was some guy going thru all the figs.

He looks at me and says "WOW, FF R2-D2, he books for like $20.00!" Here TRU had these guy's for $1.97!!! So this guy starts loading up his cart. I snaged 1-2 of each and went home happy. Sure enough, TRU had these things for MONTHS!

Then there's the classic summer 2000 with the "missing logo Yoda" HAHAHAHAHA! The whole wave clogged pegs for over a year! I'm still laughing at all those idiots who hoarded that paperweight.

SCALPER "Look what I found...the last Yoda withOUT EP1 logo"
ME "WOW, put it on ebay, I'll bet you can make a mint! He's probably worth $50.00"
SCALPER "Are you interested in buying him?" He hasn't even paid for it yet.
ME "Nah, I can't afford to collect ERRORS." (saying errors with reverance)

hehehehehehehe.

SCALPERS:greedy: must DIE:dead:

TheBigSloppy
05-27-2002, 01:38 PM
The only time I ever really experienced the vultures first hand was at the 'old' Fan Club's warehouse clearance sale in Denver. My God Jim. The moment figures were poured into those four-foot-high cardboard boxes, swarms of people grabbed, pushed, tackled, shoved to get these things. I remember people walking away with scores (dozens) of Ree Yees, Death Star Troopers, the Fan Club four, EPI figs. It was a disgusting site.

Midnight Madness brought back all these fine memories. . .

TK421BB
05-27-2002, 02:43 PM
Sidouisly Darth, were are you in florida? I'm in sarasota and I have a little trouble finding figures here. I think the worrest place is Lakeland. Their were so many dealers, scalpers and collectors it was insane. I lived their for 3 yrs and I don't no how many times I got in to it with dealers/scalpers or just people internet people selling things that were hot items, it made me sick...