PDA

View Full Version : Darth Tyranus?

Skinny 1
05-25-2002, 08:46 PM
I noticed that the new Deluxe Count Dooku is called Darth Tyranus. What is up with that? Have I missed something here?

By the way, this is my first post, so let me just say that it is a pleasure to be here on these forums with many of my fellow collectors. :)

Beast
05-25-2002, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay. Here is your complimentary gift basket of duct tape and POTJ Jar Jar Binks figure. :D

As to your question, it's because at the end of E2 Count Dooku was revealed to also be Darth Tyranus. When he lands in the secret Sith hanger on Coruscant Sidious addresses him as "Tyranus". Jango also tells Obi-Wan he was hired by a man named "Tyranus". Hasbro just decided to name the regular figure Count Dooku, since he's refered to as that, during most of the movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
05-25-2002, 08:55 PM
Not too mention if you think about it, it's sort of revealed before the end sequence.

Jango: "Tyranus hired me."

Then we see Jango defending Dooky against a Jedi on the balcony.

Croaker
05-26-2002, 07:37 AM
The Canadian elec. Lightsabre also says Darth Tyranus.

jedi_uk73
05-26-2002, 08:09 AM
I would say that originally, when he was on the Jedi council, he was called Count Dooku. But as we all know, Sith, like to be known as Darth. So hence the Tyranus name. This may have also been used to hide his identity from the Jedi.

Skinny 1
05-26-2002, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the answers everyone. I obviously missed the dialogue in which Dooku is revealed as Tyranus. I'll be sure to pay better attention next time. ; )

Jaina Solo
05-26-2002, 01:58 PM
Didn't know Dooku was ever on the Council. Did I miss that somewhere, or...?

Dar' Argol
05-26-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
Didn't know Dooku was ever on the Council. Did I miss that somewhere, or...?

it was a scene that was cut from the movie. When Obi goes to see Jocasta Nu in the archives we see him standing at a statue. He is what was cut:

The old wonam smiled and walked past him to regard the bust of Count Dooku. "He has a powerful face, doesn't he?" she commented, her quite tone taking the tension out of the meeting. "He was one of the most brilliant Jedi I have had the privilege of knowing."
I never understood why he quit," Obi-Wan said, following Jocasta Nu's look at the bust. "Only twenty Jedi have ever left the Order."
"The Lost Twenty." Jocasta Nu said with a profound sigh. "And Count Dooku was the most recent and the most painful. No one likes to talk about it. His leaving was a great loss to the Order."
"What happened."
"Well, one might say he was a bit out of step with the decisions of the Council,: the Archivist replied. "Much like your old Master, Qui-Gon."
Even though Obi-Wan has just been thinking the same thing, somewhat, to hear Jocasta Nu speak the words so definitively caught him off guard, and painted Qui-Gon in a more rebellious light than he had ever concidered. He knw his former Master had his moments, of course, the greatest of those being the comfrontations concerning Anakin, but he had never thought of Qui-Gon as that much of a rebel. Apparently, Jocasta Nu, who had her finger as squarely as anyone on the pulse of the Jedi Temple, did.
"Really?" Obi-Wan prompted, wanting the information about Dooku, of course, but also hoping to garner some insight into his old and beloved Master.
"Oh, yes, they were alike in many ways. Very individual thinkers. Idealists." She stared at the bust intently, and it seemed to Obi-Wan as if she had suddenly gone far away. "He was always striving to become a more powerful Jedi. He wanted to be the best. With a lightsaber, in the old style of fencing, he had no match. His knowledge of the Force was . . . unique. In the end, I think he left because he lost faith in the Republic. He believed that the politics were corrupt . . ."
Jocasta Nu paused for a moment and looked at Obi-Wan, a very revealing expression that showed she did not think Dooku as out of step as many of the others apparently did.
"And he felt that the Jedi betrayed themselves by serving the politicians," the Archivist stated.
Obi-Wan blinked, soaking in the words. He knew that many, Qui-Gon included-even himself included, at times-often felt the same way.
"He always had vey high expectations of government," Jocasta Nu went on. "He diappeared for nine or ten years, then just showed up recently as the head of the separatist movement."
"Interesting," Obi-Wan remarked, looking from the bust to the Archivist. "I'm still not sure I understand."
"None of us does," Jocasta Mu replied, her serious expression melting into a warm smile. "Well, I'm sure you didn't call me over here for a history lesson. Are you having problems Master Kenobi?"
"Yes, I'm trying to find a planet system called Kamino. It doesn't seem to show . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "

And you know the rest. Page 157-159 of the book. But for the answers to everything, please refer to page 276!:rolleyes: :D

browndroid
05-26-2002, 03:00 PM
well anikan is darth vader, palpatine is darth sidious, so once you become a "dark lord" you get a name beginning with darth...yeah..thats it

Jaina Solo
05-26-2002, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I read that in the book, but my question was about whether Dooku was on the Jedi Council itself or not. Someone here said he was, and I wondered where they'd heard that. :) And 276 doesn't mention Dooku at all.

Dar' Argol
05-26-2002, 08:03 PM
And 276 doesn't mention Dooku at all.

He he he. Sorry, this was a sorta inside joke in referance to my sig line and this thread:

Qui-Gon's Voice (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8309)

There was a discussion about the voice and someone brought up the book and page 276. If you read through you'll find out we beat this fact to death and it became a bit of a joke.

Hense my sig line about the book:D

pthfnder89
05-27-2002, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I read that in the book, but my question was about whether Dooku was on the Jedi Council itself or not. Someone here said he was, and I wondered where they'd heard that. :)

I was wondering the same thing Jaina. The answer though, is that no, Dooku was never a Council member. He was just a very respected and powerful part of the Jedi Order. :)

JEDIpartner
05-28-2002, 08:58 AM
I hope they make a Darth Brak action figure. :rolleyes: