PDA

View Full Version : The RAREST vintage figure?

bigbarada
05-26-2002, 05:02 AM
I'm thinking the double-telescoping lightsaber Darth Vader figure is the rarest of them all. He was never actually released in mass quantities and only exists in salesman samples. Meaning that there are probably less than one-hundred of them in existence, not counting the salesmen who probably gave them to their kids who subsequently trashed them. Dumb kids, what do they know?:)

That should beat the pants off of Vlix, vinyl caped Jawa and YakFace as far as rareness goes.

jedi_uk73
05-26-2002, 06:39 AM
According to various sources, Vlix is the rarest. Apparently only 8 in existance.

This is closely followed by Chief Chirpa (ewoks series). This figure was only in prototype.

A real R-F Boba Fett is also rare.

As you said bigbarada, D-T Vader was into the hundreds produced. The 3 I have listed above only a possible maximum of 10 were ever produced.

The vinyl cape Jawa was also produced in hundreds maybe even thousands.

As for Yak Face, that is only rare for people in the US, as it was not available to them. Europe has a very good supply of them.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2002, 02:59 PM
I'd forgotten about the double saber figures, because I was gonna say the wind-up R2 from Japan. It's the only figure (I don't consider Droids and Ewoks in my lists) I have never seen anywhere, excpet in photos. I have glimpsed rocket Fetts (fakes?), vinyl Jawas (fakes?), Vlixs (Vlixes? Vlixii? fakes?), and some double sabers (fakes?). I'm not interested in them, because if they're fakes, I still don't have the figures, and if they're real, I couldn't afford them.

bigbarada
05-26-2002, 03:16 PM
I'd have to actually see a DT saber figure carded before I would consider it real. You can buy replica DT sabers in lots of places (Brian's Toys has them for $30 apiece).

I think Vlix was mass produced in Brazil but nowhere else. His rarity could mainly be due to that.

I've also read many sources that say that rocket firing Fett never saw the light of day as far as production goes, they only exist as prototypes. So if I were to actually see one of those I would automatically consider it a fake.

I wasn't really counting prototypes in my list since they are a completely different section of collecting (and a very expensive one). The DT Vader was produced in tiny quantities as only salesman samples and I think the number is LESS THAN 100 in existence. The only DT saber figure widely released was Luke, because of the Early Bird sets.

I'm kind of with BCJ on the Droids and Ewoks issue, I don't consider them a part of the SW line at all; but everybody automatically starts shouting "Vlix" when the topic of rare figures comes up. What's the big deal? He was a two-bit criminal in a series that only lasted one season and he's not even a well designed alien at that. I wouldn't pay $5 for one if I saw him now.

LusiferSam
05-26-2002, 08:57 PM
Boy that's a tough one. I would have to say that the rocket fire Boba Fett is the rarest. I'm very sure I have never an a real one for sale. As for the DT figures, I thought the DT Ben Kenobi was rarer then Vader. Again I'm sure I've never seen real ones of these for sale either.

evenflow
05-28-2002, 03:50 PM
There are more than 10 Vlix figures out there.

icatch9
05-28-2002, 04:02 PM
Do salesman samples really count. I mean they were never avalable to the general public to purchase. So, that would make them about the same as a prototype. Even if you don't like the droids line it still says Star Wars on it. It still is licensed by LF and it's made by Kenner. How does the old saying go? IF it looks like****, smells like ****, and tasts like ****, then it's probally ****. I think that makes good sicne when talking about those cartoons.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-28-2002, 04:53 PM
So, everyone got the complete set of Bend-Ums SW figures? Those say "Star Wars" on them, too. The Ewoks and Droids cartoons were separate from the SW films, so I don't consider them "Star Wars figures" as much as "figures about Star Wars." We're just arguing semantics, so the debate will always stall without an agreement. Kinda like "Is TPM a good movie?"

(Which, by the way, it was! ) :)

Maybe, as Master of Lists, I can suggest we divide this issue into "rarest Droids/Ewoks" and "rarest SW" figures?

bigbarada
05-28-2002, 05:41 PM
Rarest mass produced figures:
Vinyl Cape Jawa
Han Solo Small Head
Yakface
Blue Snaggletooth
Luke Telescoping Saber
Chewbacca Green Bowcaster

Probably Han and Chewie from this list are the most common. Yakface was only really rare in America. So that leaves DT Luke, Vinyl Cape Jawa, and Blue Snaggletooth. I would probably pick Blue Snaggletooth from this list as he never even made it on a card (he was a pack-in for the Sears Mos Eisley playset, but was corrected in later playsets).

DT Vader and Ben are much more elusive as Ben has been seen a few times on ebay (going for $1800 loose) and I have seen carded samples. However carded samples of Vader are much harder to come by, many speculate that they don't exist. The issue of mass production is a little hazy for these two figures. DT Luke was shipped out in the first Early Bird sets (along with Green Crossbow Chewie) and showed up on cards. I guess no one really knows, it's is really all speculation since Kenner didn't really keep good records of these kinds of things back then (there was really no need).

jed
05-31-2002, 09:39 PM
This all depends on what you collect. As some people have stated earlier.

We have not mentioned variants yet. Would you say that some of these are much harder to come by?
Rarity all comes down to supply. As far as I am concerned the brightly coloured Logray from Makau is one of the rarest - Only because no-one on ebay (or anywhere else) is offerring it up for sale. If I had the money - I could get a Vlix or a vinyl caped Jawa any day. They are not all that hard to get as far as I can see - just expensive.

jed

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by jed
This all depends on what you collect. As some people have stated earlier.

We have not mentioned variants yet. Would you say that some of these are much harder to come by?

Rarity all comes down to supply.

They are not all that hard to get as far as I can see - just expensive.
All jed's points are valid.
1) It always depends on what you're looking for.
2) I personally do not look for too many variants. Small head Han or brown hair Lukes are legitimate differences. Gray/tan arm Klaatu or open/closed breath hole Tusken isn't. Just my opinion.
3) Yup. Simple (simple? :eek: ) economics.
4) That's my point. I'm not interested in paying over $300 for a SW figure, so my collection will remain "incomplete" for some figs.

darthdeogg
06-17-2002, 01:37 AM
Well, the only figure on this list that I have ever seen is a blue snaggletooth...my best friend actually has one.

My vots is for the RF Fett though

BillyJAck
06-17-2002, 01:50 PM
Well Nikto on a POTF card is a hard find. I've only seen one in my life and thats in my older brothers fully complete POTF carded figure collection. I want one sooo sooo sooo bad.

OneArmedJango
06-19-2002, 09:43 PM
hye can I ask you guys some thing? OK my friend is going to sell me a AT-AT from when TESB. (I think thats 198.... 1980 somthing) Any way hes going to sell it to me for $30, do you think I should get it? Its still in the box but the box isent in that good shape. Ley me know. :)
-One

Bel-Cam Jos
06-20-2002, 03:24 PM
Well, I don't know if an AT-AT is the rarest figure (please check the appropriate thread titles), but I'd say sure, go for it.

BoShek
06-20-2002, 10:30 PM
The red caped Bib is rare, no?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-21-2002, 10:25 AM
There're a few figures that showed up in the photos on the card backs that I'm not sure were ever actually released that way:
Red cloak Bib Fortuna
Black cloak Squid Head
Black outlined boots Hoth Han

So these might be kinda like missle-firing Fett, as protoypes.

Hobbes089
06-22-2002, 06:11 PM
If you are going to state "production figure", then the Rocket Fett cannot be mentioned in the conversation. Neither can salesman samples, or toy fair displays. You must also think about foreign releases in the list. Even though, they were not released on US soil, they were still produced. I would consider the rarest production figures in this order:

Standard 3 3/4" (Carded or Loose)

Uzay Headman
DT Ben Kenobi
DT Darth Vader
and Vlix

Variation 3 3/4" (Carded or Loose)

Black Cape Squid Head
Vinyl Cape Jawa
Blue Snaggletooth

12" Figures
Lili Ledy figures (Loose or Boxed)
Boba Fett in ESB box

This is all that I can think of for figures that a real challenge to find. The vinyl cape jawa can be found, but you also have to consider the number of fakes that are on the market. I am quite sure there were a few left out. Please comment as needed.

Jason

Uttini
"THE JAWA BOUNTY HUNTER"

Wanted: Jawas, Jawas and more Jawas.....
Hobbes089@att.net

bigbarada
06-26-2002, 09:53 AM
Ahh, the great Rocket Firing Fett debate! 1) Fett's rocket firing missile launcher was never released because of the child who choked to death on a rocket-firing Battlestar Gallactica toy. 2) the info given by ToyFare about parents shooting Fett's missile into their kids' mouths so they could sue Kenner was a complete rumor and just the kind of shoddy, sloppy reporting I have come to expect from ToyFare. 2) the rocket-firing feature was pulled at the prototype stage, thus no saleman samples or production figures exist. Period.

If you have or know someone who claims to have a rocket-firing Fett then it is a fake. Plain and simple. If you know someone who claims to have bought one from the store then they are a liar. Plain and simple.

I wouldn't really consider Uzay figures to be legitimate SW figures. They were cheap knock-offs that were never authorized by Lucasfilm. Thus, IMO, they don't count as part of the Star Wars line.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-26-2002, 10:49 AM
Geez, bb, can you be any more ambiguous in your opinion? I mean, take a stand or something! ;) By the way, 3 comes after 2, not another 2. :sur:

What about the Canadian "General Veers" AT-AT Commander figure? Would that fall under the Uzay category?

SNAYSON
06-27-2002, 09:40 AM
variations and prototypes put aside, isn't the rarest vintage SW figure Vlix or Yak Face? What about the Blue snaggletooth?

anarky
06-27-2002, 05:21 PM
forgive my ignorance, but who or what is an uzay figure?

is this like the weird "blue flame" stars war bootlegs i saw on sale at a convention?

I_Deus
06-28-2002, 09:34 AM
I am not as experienced a colelctor as many of you seem, so I need some clarification. You keep speaking of Double Telescoping sabers. How do these differ from regular sabers? How do you tell them apart, that is?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2002, 04:51 PM
Uzay figures are from Turkey (??) and are the same sculpts with different colors and accessories, packaged under different names. I think. Most famous one is a Hoth Stormtrooper in blue with no mini-cape, right?

Double telescoping sabers have a second part that extends. The Vader/Luke/Kenobi figures had a slot in their arms with a handle to push the saber through it and out the hilt attached to the hand. However, I believe the DT ones have a very small and thin part of the blade that moves it a little further out. Am I right on this one, too?

Jyx1138
06-30-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by anarky
forgive my ignorance, but who or what is an uzay figure?

is this like the weird "blue flame" stars war bootlegs i saw on sale at a convention?

You'd be thinking of a Blue Stars. To answer your question of what is an Uzay figure:Uzays were bootlegs released in Turkey in the late 80's . The Uzay line consisted of 14 different figures and a few variations on both packaging and figures as well. The most highly recognised Uzay IS the Blue Stars. Which is a Snowtrooper molded in blue and with a blue backflap as well.
The Rarest Uzay (and Rarest SW figure as well) Would be the Headman, which is an ERG with a chromed head. Only one carded example has been "proven" to exist. And less than a handfull of loose Headman figures have surfaced thru the years. Another true Rarity from the Uzay line is the Snowtrooper. There are only 2 known carded examples of this one.

For more info on Uzay figures feel free to check out :

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-speci/yglesias/uzay.html

Cheers
Joseph

Jyx1138
06-30-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

What about the Canadian "General Veers" AT-AT Commander figure? Would that fall under the Uzay category?

Nope, despite the overuse of the word Uzay by overzealous sellers on Ebay that use it to keyword spam anyone looking for Uzays or other bootlegs. The Kenner Canada Vacuform figures have nothing to do with Uzays, apart from both being interesting items to own. Uzay's were a line unto themselves, read my above post and check out the link to my Uzay section on SWCA.

Cheers
Joseph

sithtoys
07-01-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by LusiferSam
Boy that's a tough one. I would have to say that the rocket fire Boba Fett is the rarest. I'm very sure I have never an a real one for sale. As for the DT figures, I thought the DT Ben Kenobi was rarer then Vader. Again I'm sure I've never seen real ones of these for sale either.

There are only 15+/- DT Ben's known to exist, while there are 25-30 known DT Vaders. (loose)
You can see a complete series of DT figures on my website, including two DT Vaders, and a prototype DT saber. (one of only two known to exist.)

Bill

anarky
07-02-2002, 03:41 PM
thanks, joseph--for both the info and the laugh!

not at the collection itself, but the sheer absurdity of some of those cards--especially the t e pilots' ship and the death star gunner with calculator

blue star was definitely the one i saw a few years ago--i guess i just misremembered the name

i noticed some other pics on the card back (klaatu and b-wing pilot, i think)--do those exist

Jyx1138
07-02-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by anarky
thanks, joseph--for both the info and the laugh!

not at the collection itself, but the sheer absurdity of some of those cards--especially the t e pilots' ship and the death star gunner with calculator

blue star was definitely the one i saw a few years ago--i guess i just misremembered the name

i noticed some other pics on the card back (klaatu and b-wing pilot, i think)--do those exist

None of the other figures shown on the cardback were ever produced, nor was the X-Wing. There were no molds found for any of those figures either, so i doubt that they had gotten past the idea stage on them before having ceased production of the line all together.

The Imperial Gunner was the first Uzay figure I owned (and STILL my favorite) that calculator card is what immediatly drew me to the Uzay line. From that point on I knew I had to have the full set.

Cheers
Joseph

ser3po
07-05-2002, 11:42 AM
if we are talking about any vintage figure we could also
count the 12" vintage tusken rider who is one of the rarest
figures around iand t was only produce in mexico, i dont now why not much people talk about it or add it to figure lists and catalogs

cfawcett
07-15-2002, 03:36 PM
2) the rocket-firing feature was pulled at the prototype stage, thus no saleman samples or production figures exist. Period.

Just to clear this up, this information is not correct. The Rocket Fett did make it to the production stage. They had molds, made production figures and even went so far as to have production deco on them (the j-slots are all painted). You are right in that it was never released to the public, but it made it as far as you can possibly go. It was ready to be shipped when they pulled it.

If you have or know someone who claims to have a rocket-firing Fett then it is a fake.

This isn't correct either. There are many collectors out there with genunine Rocket Fetts. Yes, there are a lot of fakes, also, but there are real ones in collector's hands today. I think the number out there is running somehwere around 40 right now.

If you know someone who claims to have bought one from the store then they are a liar. Plain and simple.

Or just having some false memories. You're right though - no one ever got one in the mail or at a store.

Cj

Lobito
07-16-2002, 03:57 PM
I have seen the blue Snagletooth and Yak Face in my local SW shop, but i've never seen the vinil cape jawa or the Double telescopic Darth Vader.

I havent seen Vlix also, i guess it all depends on the region u live.:)

jedihunter25
07-16-2002, 04:50 PM
I would have to say Yarna d'al Gargan (Jabba's Fat Dancer). She is a prototype from Kenner. They have a picture of it in a book called Star Wars Action Figure Archive on page 134 but the arms were not salvaged with the rest of the body.(That's how rare it is)

cfawcett
07-16-2002, 08:30 PM
Gargan only ever made it to the hardcopy stage - she was never produced in plastic. There are actually 4 of these in existence that I know of. Sansweet has the one pictured in that book you speak of. Another is still in the hands of a Kenner employee (who's willing to sell it) and is missing one arm. The two others - a hardcopy and the original wax sculpt are in the hands of a single collector in North Carolina.

Cj

Jawakiller
07-27-2002, 04:37 AM
what about power of the force yoda's? I dont see to many of them around. the double telescoping vader's, luke's and kenobi's are highly sought after. they would be my choice. but i'm only talking carded figures that got out to the public.

cfawcett
07-29-2002, 07:54 AM
POTF Yoda's are tough, but not that hard. As far as vintage carded figures the hardest are definetely the DT figures. They *did* make it to the public, but in VERY small quantities. After that, POTF NIkto is by far the toughest followed by POTF AT-AT Driver.

Cj

companim02
07-29-2002, 08:14 PM
:mad: I had a vinyl caped jawa when I was younger, but like so many other figures the cape ripped where the arm hole is and I threw the cape away. Doesn't that suck?

mabudonicus
08-05-2002, 11:22 PM
BCJ- my buddy had ine of those R2s and I swore it wasn't real, back in the late 70's or so... I recall getting the boba fett "sneak preview" mail-in, and it came with a wee notice, apologizing for the fact that the product wasn't as "specified" in the commercial, and that you could get a refund if you weren't happy..
I agree with BigB, though, but I AM Canadian, after all, we get screwed regularly by the action figure industry:(

scruffziller
08-23-2002, 01:22 PM
I thought Boba Fett with the launching missle on his back was the rarest.

bigbarada
08-31-2002, 01:34 AM
We just covered that, scruff! RF Boba Fett was never released to the general public, regardless of how far it is rumored to have gotten in the pre-production stage.

cfawcet, my info came from Steve Sansweet's books From Concept to Screen to Collectible and The Action Figure Archive. Not implying that alone validates it, but I was going on more than just "my friend's uncle's cousin told me so." I'd be interested to know the source of your information.

Prototypes don't count, since we are talking about production figures. Personally I could care less about some of the "variations" that are claimed out there. Green limbs Chewie? Tan limbs Klaatu? Give me a break, those are simply the effects of aging.

Anyways, if you dismiss all variations and card changes and rumored production samples or prototypes. Then dismiss all bootlegs and foreign carded standard figures, then I think the award goes to Yakface. He was never released in the US but was widely available in Europe and Canada. However, he still remains very rare to this day even for a figure with no variants and only two carded releases.

Oh yeah, I agree with BCJ, Vlix shouldn't count as a Star Wars figure.

TylerD
09-01-2002, 03:06 AM
I thought that it was determined that Bib Fortuna (Red Cape) was a bootleg figure (?)

cfawcett
09-01-2002, 08:55 AM
Well, my uncle worked at kenner and one of my best friends worked at kenner. Both in the late 70's-early 80's. I have personally seen around a dozen Rocket Fetts and know of many more in collectors hands. Chris Georgoulias has attempted to keep a list of where all the legit ones are. It's pretty accurate, though it's tough to be 100% in that kind of endeavor.

There were two major finds of fetts, both in the teens in count and then there were others found here or there. I have been to Cincinnati on many occasions (I live in Ohio) and spoken to literally hundreds of former Kenner employees. The Rocket Fett that I own I picked up in person from a Kenner test engineer in Cincy.

That info out of Steve's book was right as far as anyone knew at the time. But that book is like 8 years old.

Cj

Jyx1138
09-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Anyways, if you dismiss all variations and card changes and rumored production samples or prototypes. Then dismiss all bootlegs and foreign carded standard figures, then I think the award goes to Yakface. He was never released in the US but was widely available in Europe and Canada. However, he still remains very rare to this day even for a figure with no variants and only two carded releases.

Oh yeah, I agree with BCJ, Vlix shouldn't count as a Star Wars figure.

IF we were to dismiss ALL variations, ALL bootlegs (BLASPHEMY!!!), and all foriegn pieces, then the Yak would also have to go. After all it was never released in US. IF you were compairing the # of existing carded Yaks, to the # of existing carded Canadian wind up R2's I'd say you'd easilly have 20 to 50 Yaks to every one Canadian R2. Yaks really aren't "rare" . They're expensive but not rare.You'd even STILL have a 3 to one ratio if you compaired the #'s of POTF Yaks to POTF Anakins. If you're going by basic carded figures without accounting for cardback raritys or paint variations none of them are trully rare. ANYONE could easilly assemble a full set of US carded figures , providing they had the budget to cover it.

Here's a list of "some" of the TRUE rarities in production carded figures(bootlegs included!):

Uzay Headman (1 known to exist)

Canadian Vacuform card Han Hoth ( 1 authentic sealed known to exist) apx 20 reseals or just cardbacks known also

Uzay Snowtrooper (2 known to exist)

Uzay Chewbacca (close up photo) (I know of 2)

LL Burgandy caped Bib Fortuna... ( 2 known)

Carded DT Ben and Vader's ( less than 5 of each known)

Canadian Vacuform Ugnaught, Dengar, Luke Hoth ( all under 10 known)

Palitoy 12bk Luke ( under 20 known)

Canadian Vacuformed Gen Veers (under 20 known)

Glasslite Vlix (under 30 known)

12bk DT Luke ( under 30)

Canadian carded Wind Up R2's (under 50

"I" would have to put most carded Polish figs at under 30 known

ANY Toltoys 12bks are DEFINITLY under 100 ea in quantity existing

Canadian Vacuform R2 (under 100)

I'd put most Hungarian carded figs at about 100 known EXCEPT the Leia and Wickett.. those are easilly over 300 ea. And the Vader and Luke are both under 20 known

Uzay Blue Stars ( under 200)

Most other Uzay's would fit into the under 200 frame as well

Potf Anakin (less than 2000)

Droids Fett ( less than 2000)

12bk VC Jawa (less than 2000)

POTF Yak (less than 5000)

I could continue to post more obscure foreign pieces that are significantly rarer than a Yak Face , but I feel it would be overkill
:evil:

Cheers
Joseph

bigbarada
09-01-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by cfawcett
Well, my uncle worked at kenner and one of my best friends worked at kenner. Both in the late 70's-early 80's. I have personally seen around a dozen Rocket Fetts and know of many more in collectors hands. Chris Georgoulias has attempted to keep a list of where all the legit ones are. It's pretty accurate, though it's tough to be 100% in that kind of endeavor.

There were two major finds of fetts, both in the teens in count and then there were others found here or there. I have been to Cincinnati on many occasions (I live in Ohio) and spoken to literally hundreds of former Kenner employees. The Rocket Fett that I own I picked up in person from a Kenner test engineer in Cincy.

That info out of Steve's book was right as far as anyone knew at the time. But that book is like 8 years old.

Cj

Cool, I can buy that.:) I was hoping that my post didn't come across like I was challenging your info.

Good points, Jyz1138, I guess I was being a little blind by declaring YakFace as the rarest. He is very clearly a foreign figure so must be considered as one. Although I still don't recognize bootlegs!:p

I have a question for anyone who might know, on the Meccano French SW cards there was a Blue Snaggletooth pictured as a regular release figure. So, are there any known Meccano carded Blue Snaggletooths out there?

cfawcett
09-01-2002, 05:03 PM

Cool, I can buy that.:) I was hoping that my post didn't come across like I was challenging your info

Not at all. There's a lot of misinformation in this hobby. It's always good to check sources.

{b}I have a question for anyone who might know, on the Meccano French SW cards there was a Blue Snaggletooth pictured as a regular release figure. So, are there any known Meccano carded Blue Snaggletooths out there? [/B]

Nope. They never came taht way regardless of the picture.

Also, the ESB square carded Meccanos are *super* rare too. 1-2 of each known.

Cj

Jyx1138
09-01-2002, 05:55 PM

Cool, I can buy that.:) I was hoping that my post didn't come across like I was challenging your info.

Good points, Jyz1138, I guess I was being a little blind by declaring YakFace as the rarest. He is very clearly a foreign figure so must be considered as one. Although I still don't recognize bootlegs!:p

I have a question for anyone who might know, on the Meccano French SW cards there was a Blue Snaggletooth pictured as a regular release figure. So, are there any known Meccano carded Blue Snaggletooths out there?

There have never been any carded blue Snags . Many foreign advertisments/cardbacks/catalogs were made as soon as posible, so many of them had early versions OR prototypes pictured . Another fine example of this are the early German catalogs which showed DSD, R5 etc in VERY different stages than they were released in.

Most of the Meccano ESB as well as large card 12bk Meccano's also belong at the top of the list for rarity. There are some that there are NO confirmed surviving examples of other than a cardback or 2 that have surfaced. As for not recognizing bootlegs as a valid part of the SW line, that just means one less person to outbid when bootlegs I need come up for sale.....:greedy:

Cheers
Joseph