PDA

View Full Version : Amidala or Padme?

Andrih
05-26-2002, 07:04 AM
Natalie plays both roles in Episode 1, Amidalas and Padmes what makes it more difficult to understand who´s real and who is double of the Queen.

When they find Anacin on dessert Planet, the handmaiden of amidala says to Anakin she will never forget about him.
Is this really the handmaiden or whas this the real Amidala?

I can´t beliefe it was Amidala, Qui Gon would have recognized this.

What do you think about it?

André

Pendo
05-26-2002, 09:05 AM
When Padmé says she will never forget Anakin, that is the real Queen, no one recognized her because she did not have all the make up on, she has never been seen without the make up on before.
Qui-Gon actually knew that it was the real queen and was just playing around with her. It is explained more in the novel and was hard to show it in the movie. You can tell he knew when she reveals herself to Boss Nass, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon both give a knowing look.

PENDO!

Andrih
05-26-2002, 09:51 AM
Hi,

thanx, this sounds good, but one more question.
In Episode 2 Anakin often calls the Queen "Padme"
I thought this is the name of her handmaid?

I´m not sure wether this is right, but quite sure, i could only watch the movie once in cinema, but this confused me!

André

187-Maul
05-26-2002, 10:16 AM
I think Padme Amidala is her real name (of the queen I mean)

Eternal Padawan
05-26-2002, 10:18 AM
She was born Padme Naberrie and took the name Queen Amidala when she was elected. Now that she is a senator she is called Senator Amidala. It is an honorific, much like the Pope calls himself John Paul II even though that is not his birthname. So she's Senator Amidala formally (during senate meetings and stuff) and Padme to her friends in informal settings.

Andrih
05-26-2002, 12:06 PM
At Beginning of Episode 1 the Jedi rescue Amimdala from Naboo where RsD2 repairs the Spaceship.
Amidala says somthing like "Padmé, clean this robot..."

Why is her Handmaid also called Padme? I don´t understand!

Pendo
05-26-2002, 12:11 PM
That handmaiden IS the queen. The person dressed up as the queen is really Sabé who is the queen's body guard.

PENDO!

Darth Nihilus
05-26-2002, 01:37 PM
Which begs the question - why is a handmaiden ordering the queen to do cleaning duties? That's one bossy handmaiden.

Pendo
05-26-2002, 01:40 PM
It makes it look like Sabé is really the queen and Padmé is really a handmaiden.

Or maybe Sabé is getting her own back on the queen for being bossy :D

PENDO!

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2002, 04:17 PM
Apparently you can only be a handmaiden if your name ends in an "ay" sound: Sabe' / Corve' / Dorme' / Padme' / Sneeze'
:rolleyes:

So, she was Padme' Naberrie.
Then she's just Padme' as a handmaiden?
Becoming queen, she calls herself Amidala.
When she's diguised as a handmaiden, she's back to Padme'.
Leaving her royalty behind, she ditches Naberrie and goes by Padme' Amidala, or Senator Amidala.
Then marrying Anakin, she becomes Padme' Naberrie-Amidala-Skywalker, PhD? :p If she turns out to be Jango Fett's niece or something... :mad: :rolleyes:

LTBasker
05-26-2002, 06:34 PM
Sabe' was the whole decoy thing, I think Sabe was also the double when they were being transported and they had actually switched before the palace got invaded so if they were to torture or murder the Queen, it would not be the real one so then Qui-Gon would've actually not known that Sabe' wasn't the Queen since she was the one in the black travel gown so the only ones who knew were the Naboo soldiers and the handmaidens that Padme was really the Queen but her and Sabe switched beforehand.

darthvyn
06-05-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
Then marrying Anakin, she becomes Padme' Naberrie-Amidala-Skywalker, PhD?

actually, i think it should be Padme' Naberrie-Amidala-Skywalker, P.I.

it's also actually the queen going with qui-gon and r2 into mos espa, in case anyone missed that...