PDA

View Full Version : Which movie did you like better - AOTC or Spider-Man?

Brave Sir Robin
05-26-2002, 08:38 AM
Now that I've FINALLY seen both of them (you can only go to the movies on saturday nights here at boarding school) I'll pose a question to all o' yas: Which movie did you like better, Attack of the Clones, or Spider-man?

I'd have to go with Spider-man. It had enough CGI to be cool but not be annoying, which was the case with AOTC, Kristin Dunst is definatley hotter than Natalie Portman ;) , the love scenes were way less corny, and they showed Spider-man's origin terrifically, even though they changed some stuff like making the web-slinging power biological instead of mechanical, and if you sit through the credits they play the original "Theme from Spider-man" song.

Thoughts? Opinions?

DeadEye
05-26-2002, 08:42 AM
I personally thought Natalie was hotter...but since I've gone out with girls hotter than both of them, I don't think it makes a difference.

I liked AOTC better.

Eternal Padawan
05-26-2002, 10:20 AM
This should be in the movie section.

As a huge fan of both Comics and Star Wars I was delighted with both films and even more delighted that they both did excellent at the box office. It means more Comic Book films down the road. (And it means at least one more Star Wars film down the road, but we would have got that even if this one tanked at the BO...)

Wolfwood319
05-26-2002, 10:27 AM
Spider-Man!

AOTC was pretty much what I expected, Spidey blew my freakin' socks off! So far, its the best movie I've seen this year. Raimi accomplished the impossible, IMO, and I hope he does more Spidey flicks.

Pendo
05-26-2002, 10:49 AM
I'll have to go with AOTC. Only because I've not seen Spider-Man yet. I don't like theirttempt to make a CG Spider-Man when he's swinging through the city, it looks too fake. But then again, Anakin looks fake when riding on the Shaak.

PENDO!

Dar' Argol
05-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
This should be in the movie section.

I agree EP. So . . . . . . *poof*, its moved.

I have not seen Spiderman yet, so I really cannot comment. But the video game rocks!!!!! Best Spiderman game to date!!

DeadEye
05-26-2002, 02:43 PM
Anakin looks real when he's riding the shaak and the reek. He looks fake when he's "skydiving" down Coruscant during the speeder chase.

jjreason
05-26-2002, 02:49 PM
Spider-Man gave me a rash. Too much of a departure from the comics. Ive discussed my ire with this before, so Ill be brief here. Toby Maguire, boring. Kirsten Dunst, not hot enough to be MJ. Origin sequence, too long. Scary bits, more stupid than scary. Wise cracks from Spidey, nonexistent.
Xmen was way, way better and was still able to depart from the comics enough to make it stand alone. Im happy Spidey's raking in the bucks because I want to see another Spidey movie, but this one I didn't love. Attack of the Clones, to me, was much more enjoyable.

DarthBrandon
05-26-2002, 05:37 PM
Dear Brave Sir Robin, I think you need to get your eyes checked hard cause Kirsten Dunst (Dunce) isn't half the actor or have half the looks of Nat Portman. Sorry dude, but even the wife agrees with me on this. Episode 2 is way better than Spidey, the only reason it's doing so well is cause it appeals to children and adults who have never experienced a Spiderman movie. Plus everyone has been waiting for years for this to happen. Plus number two ATOC had a way better story than spidey did.

JediTricks
05-26-2002, 06:59 PM
Spider-Man

I don't think much of Kirsten Dunst as MJ, but I didn't think much of Natalie Portman's performance in Ep 2, I thought she did a much better job in Ep 1. Neither do a thing for me in the "looks" department though, there are so many women in Hollywood that would have not only been better suited for the Mary Jane Watson part in terms of acting talent, but also in looks.

bigbarada
05-26-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by DeadEye
I personally thought Natalie was hotter...but since I've gone out with girls hotter than both of them

Oooooh, I'm impressed.:rolleyes:

Lman316
05-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Attack of the Clones.

I saw these two movies back to back. AOTC on Friday the 17th, and Spiderman on the 18th.
Spiderman was a great movie and I've always been a big fan of Spiderman, ever since they put the animated series on all those years ago. And I think they did very well with the movie (except for Dunce....er...I mean Dunst and like stated: his webs being biological instead of mechanical. It's supposed to show that Petey was good in the science department, which they never really showed, just said). I hope the next movie gives us Venom...cause, let's face it. Venom is the best Spidey villian ever! :D
But, even though I was impressed with Spiderman, I had been waiting longer for Star Wars. And Star Wars just so much more fun. People were clapping for Yoda when he ignited his lightsaber and his battle with Dooku was just great - I couldn't get over my initial reaction of how cool that was for a few days. I couldn't wait to get to the theater to see it again. And even though I've seen it a second time already, I'm trying to figure out when I can go for a third and then a fourth. :D

187-Maul
05-27-2002, 11:24 AM
I liked both but AOTC is better
BTW portman is hotter then Dunst !(if I say that it's like that:D ;) )

2-1B
05-27-2002, 11:27 AM
Attack of the Clones for me, and since jjreason brought it up I'll say I liked X-Men much more than Spider-Man.

bigbarada
05-28-2002, 11:22 PM
I have been honestly trying to go watch Spider-Man; but just can't bring myself to buy the ticket with AOTC playing in the same theater. The last time I went to the theater, I was standing in line, thinking about buying a ticket for Spider-Man and I kept having this vision of that horrible Goblin outfit. Then I would think of Star Wars and remember the cool Geonosis battle, Yoda's duel, the Coruscant speeder chase, etc. Then I would think about Spider-Man and that horrible Goblin outfit would pop into my head again. So I bought a ticket to see AOTC again. Sorry, I have no willpower.:)

I will see Spider-Man eventually (probably on DVD) and until then I really can't choose.

Brave Sir Robin
05-29-2002, 03:36 PM
So Spider-man was not as good as the comics.
Attack of the Clones nowhere near as good as any of the original trilogy and not even (in my opinion) as good as Episode 1. Too many CGI gimmicks and not a good enough story. Why the hell can't they use puppets, like they do on Farscape! They look cooler than frickin computer generated Reeboot rejects. Some points in that film I thought I was watching a video game.

Lobito
07-30-2002, 03:31 PM
To answer this thread's question, i'll say AOTC...i even liked best X-men than the new Spidey movie. I'm not saying Spidey sucked, but i just like better the other two movies.:D

Jonna
07-30-2002, 03:40 PM
Well, I finally got to see SM in the local cheapie theatre. It was good, but I could not wait for it to end. It is riddled with some major slow parts. I had not subscribed to any hype concerning the movie, so it was not a let down. It was ok. Maybe if it were to come on TNT and there was nothing else on , I would watch it, but besides that I wouldn't bother. AOTC was definately better in my opinion.:zzz:

Jek Porky 2002
07-30-2002, 04:59 PM
Attack Of The Clones, NO CONTEST!

Exhaust Port
07-30-2002, 08:21 PM
Spiderman was good but it was a one shot movie for me. I don't see myself wanting to sit down and watch it again. AOTC on the other hand has enough in it to keep me entertained for quite a few years (if not decades). On that I vote for AOTC as a better movie. What will SM be thought of as a movie in 10-20 years VS. AOTC? AOTC will stand up better over time.

wedgeA
07-30-2002, 08:53 PM
I enjoyed both movies thoroughly, but they both has their problems. I think that Spiderman is a slightly better film for several reasons.

First, the action scenes are paced better in Spiderman, but AOTC does have better action sequences though.

Second, the romance in SM is slightly better than in AOTC, but the romantic scenes in both films are rather pedestrian.

Third, SM seemed like a more complete film to me. True, AOTC is a middle chapter, but films like ESB and LOTR:FOTR both succeeded creating a cinematic individuality for themselves. AOTC seemed to dependent upon EPs' I and III, and lacks its' own autonomy.

Darth Nihilus
07-31-2002, 02:33 AM
Spiderman hands down. Better story and creative use of visuals. Whereas the story in AotC doesn't hold up so well after repeat viewings and Lucas seemed intent on 'paying homage' to other films rather than just let his own movie be just that.

But Kirsten is not hotter than Natalie, noooo way.

Darth Nihilus
07-31-2002, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Then I would think about Spider-Man and that horrible Goblin outfit would pop into my head again. So I bought a ticket to see AOTC again. Sorry, I have no willpower.:)

Don't let that put you off BB, I honestly feel Willem Defoe deserves an Oscar for his portrayal of Norman Osborne/Green Goblin that makes the costume irrelevant.

QLD
07-31-2002, 02:42 AM
I have to go with AOTC, but Spiderman was close.

Not that AOTC was spectacular, but neither was Spiderman.

Both entertained me, but not as much as they could have.

And I think Dunst is hotter than Portman for the record.
Natalie is a spud.
And she crams her fist up her bum like she's trying to punch herself in the spleen.

Although I could name about 30 Hollywood females that I think blow them both away.

And since I have dated lots of girls that were way uglier..........I wouldn't kick any of them out of bed.

2-1B
07-31-2002, 02:57 AM
I'm currently leaning against buying Spidey on DVD, I saw it once in the theater and don't really have a desire to watch it again - I had a similar experience with K*19. :)

I already like the Spider-Man sequel more than the first one, considering the Goblin is dead. The costume was bad enough, but I don't think Billy Dayfoe helped AT ALL. Too cheesy. He was fine as Osborn, but when he went into Goblin mode, rather than sounding like a maniacal villain he sounded like a comical dork. Nothing redeeming about that part of the film for me.

But again, I'll give credit to Tobey Maguire, I didn't think he'd make a good Spidey. :)

And Kirsten was okay as MJ - I don't read the comics so I had no preconceptions about her . . . but can one of the Spidey comic fans PLEASE tell me that the Movie-Goblin was nothing like the Comic version? Because if they ARE similar, my beef is with Stan The Man, not Raimi. ;)

Beast
07-31-2002, 03:21 AM
I'll probably buy Spidey on DVD, since I liked it and I really like Sam Raimi's work. Ever since Evil Dead, I have been a fan of his films.

Yes, the goblin costume was terrible. While they went with a Classic Spidey costume, instead of updating it for the new millenium, the Goblin Costume looks nothing at all like the comic version. It was a horrible choice.

Tobey Maguire, I agree with what you said. While he was pretty much a total unknown, he really does a good job of portraying both Peter and Spidey. Hope he's on board for the sequels.

I didn't like the fact they had MJ in the movie. That was for new fans of the comics, not for the old timers. The old timers remember Spidey's original love intrest, who the Green Goblin did throw off a bridge and died. I can understand they wanted to not have to deal with a charecter that only older fans of Spidey know.

The Goblin charecter was very close to the comic version, from what I recall. He was always a crazed lunatic, though if I recall correctly, he didn't last long in the comics. They killed him off pretty quick, and then replaced him with other goblins. The villans for Spidey 2 and Spidey 3 should be alot better.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

rynobot
07-31-2002, 03:26 AM
screw Spiderman, AOTC bets it up and down.

scruffziller
07-31-2002, 08:26 AM
AOTC

Pendo
07-31-2002, 08:46 AM
I'd say AOTC. I don't know if I'm saying that because I'm bias because I'm a Star Wars fan, or if I DID like AOTC better, but I enjoyed them both!!! I thought both were really good but I'll go with Attack of the Clones!

PENDO!

companim02
07-31-2002, 11:36 AM
Does anyone else think that willam dafoe would've made a much better goblin if they just slapped some green make-up on his goblin face?

Beast
07-31-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by companim02
Does anyone else think that willam dafoe would've made a much better goblin if they just slapped some green make-up on his goblin face?
I didn't mind the mask all that much. But the robotic costume was terrible. Like I said before they should have been closer to the comic with the Goblin's looks. Not to mention they made his robotic flight suit all green, when the Green Goblin's costume in the comic was traditionally purple and green. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
07-31-2002, 12:08 PM
I went into Spider-Man with low expectations, since I hated the Goblin costume and a lot of the CG didn't look as good on the small screen. I was pleasantly surprised.

I could ignore the Goblin costume because, given the origin of the character in the movie, it makes more sense. And Dafoe was dead on accurate to the character, nutty voice, dressing up like an old woman, talking to himself, and all.

JarJar, in the original Marvel continuity (the only one I'll accept), the first Goblin last about ten years before he died in almost exactly the same way he bites it in the movie. Next was the Hobgoblin, a mercenary who got GG's weapons. He was killed and Harry Osborne became a second Green Goblin for a short while. But he realized how nuts his father had been and became "normal" again for a while. A second Hobgoblin emerged and was demonically possessed for a while. Oddly enough, the demonic Hobgoblin saw himself as a messenger from God, and the demonic portion was separated from the human part by Ghost Rider and became Demogoblin. At least one other Green Goblin emerged as a hero, and then Harry went nuts again. He died in a brief moment of lucidity sacrificing his life to save Spidey and his son, Norman. The second Norman Osborne showed signs of already being nuts at an early age. . . And then the clone fiasco and all that crap, and the first Green Goblin came back from the dead. And when I saw him in an issue (on the heels of Spider-Clones and the amazing resurrected parents), I knew that I'd bought my last Spider-Man comic book the month before.

Oh, and to answer the question, AOTC. But both are excellent films.

billfremore
07-31-2002, 12:22 PM
I'll have to go with AOTC just out of sheer loyalty.

Spider-man was good, and I for one didn't mind the Goblin's costume, I thought it was a good movie-zation of the costume.

The goblin's classic purple and green attire work well in the comics but I think it would have looked pretty silly on the screen.

Originally posted by Deadeye
I personally thought Natalie was hotter...but since I've gone out with girls hotter than both of them, I don't think it makes a difference.

And what exactly does this have to do with the topic?
Or is this more classic Deadeye unsolicited bragging?

Jonna
07-31-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
And what exactly does this have to do with the topic?
Or is this more classic Deadeye unsolicited bragging?

From the desk of the SSG Resident Loon (as a certain individual has stated):

I bought the latest issue of Teen Beat this morning and Natalie was dreamy.

I am the Alpha and the Omega. The chicken headed wheelie. Things come out of me that I don't put in. Baget. Baget. Lockjaw. Chief. I am the sock puppet orgy writhing within my own cottony sweat and toe cheese.

Is it madness or Memorex? How about a delayed reaction?

I know what the hell is going on and that is all I need to know. For those who don't, it is not my concern and their own ignorance. I know my name is Stephen.

Oh Ya! AOTC rocks dude! SM drools!!!!:eek:

billfremore
07-31-2002, 02:49 PM
I see the hallucinations have begun.
Great you're well on your way to being a non-smoker :D

Jonna
07-31-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
I see the hallucinations have begun.
Great you're well on your way to being a non-smoker :D

I am on day 5. I felt like such crud this morning that I told work my neighbor was dead of a drug overdose and the cops kept me up all night with their noise. I love making up ridiculous lies. :p

billfremore
07-31-2002, 03:13 PM
It does get easier...
You will feel better...
You'll have more money to spend on all of the fine Star Wars products out there.

Good lie though. :D

-JediMaster-Yoda-
07-31-2002, 08:50 PM
attack of the clones, only because i'am not big on the comic gig
and also Natalie Portman is 500 times hotter then Kristen Dunst