PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else do this?

Brave Sir Robin
05-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Save stuff from movie theaters when you see a really good movie? I kept my Spider-man Coke cup and I think I still have popcorn bags from The Phantom Menace and Sleepy Hollow. I also dumpster-dive behind video stores to try and get movie posters and other promotional stuff. For my birthday last year my friend's dad got me a massive Episode 1 store display with Anakin's face on it and Amidala, Maul and Qui-gon down the side.

Dooku Fett
05-26-2002, 01:14 PM
I just usualy save the ticket stubs...

InsaneJediGirl
05-26-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Brave Sir Robin
Save stuff from movie theaters when you see a really good movie? I kept my Spider-man Coke cup and I think I still have popcorn bags from The Phantom Menace and Sleepy Hollow. I also dumpster-dive behind video stores to try and get movie posters and other promotional stuff. For my birthday last year my friend's dad got me a massive Episode 1 store display with Anakin's face on it and Amidala, Maul and Qui-gon down the side.

I dumpster dive..but sometimes it gets messy..and smelly :D :DMost of the stuff I save from the movies is ticket stubs or maybe some promo item the ushers handed out.

Pendo
05-26-2002, 02:46 PM
I just keep my ticket stubs. I still have the ticket stubs to my first showing of ROTJ, TPM and AOTC.

PENDO!

Brave Sir Robin
05-26-2002, 03:02 PM
I rarely keep ticket stubs, although I saved the one from Spider-man because I loved it so much. Perhaps I should keep saving them (If I enjoy the movie)

Bel-Cam Jos
05-26-2002, 03:29 PM
I've still got some jumbo popcorn tubs from Aladdin or Toy Story or whatever. I save all my SW ticket stubs (from back as far as the Special Editions), but I seldom buy snacks at movies these days. I don't search the trash for stuff but I'll take things that people leave on the floor or seats after the movie's done (I always wait until the credits end).

For TPM, I noticed a Taco Bell was throwing away their display stuff (posters, hanging drink holders, etc.) so I asked if I could just take them. Now what am I going to do with a hanging drink holder...?

DarthBrandon
05-26-2002, 04:15 PM
Just ticket stubs and maybe a promo book or two.

JediTricks
05-26-2002, 05:12 PM
Ticket stubs from important calendar dates (like last night's SW 25th anniversary Ep 2 stub) and I still have a ton of junk from when I worked at a video store. I also have a really cool SW popcorn tub from the SE releases, but that's about it.

LTBasker
05-26-2002, 05:19 PM
I saved my ticket stubs from E1 and both of them from E2, definitely gotta keep those. :cool:

I'm trying to get the E2 promo stuff from Wal-Mart and I'm getting a press kit that's basically a video with interviews, trailers, etc., I think it might have a couple other things in it but I dunno.

I don't really collect the stuff, but if I figure if I can get my hands on it then why not? They'll be throwing it out anyways if someone doesn't claim it.

187-Maul
05-27-2002, 11:39 AM
I only collect my movietickets (since there's something about mary, 9.12.1998)

master jedi
05-27-2002, 04:11 PM
I save the ticket stubs ot every movie I go see.

Once I kept a cup half full of coke (from ESB Special Edition) in the freezer for 3 years. By the time my mother threw it out it was bright green.

SWAFMAN
05-27-2002, 05:47 PM
My girlfriend went through a dumpster-diving phase a couple years ago. Once, she checked a dumpster behind a video store that closed down, and found a bunch of Disney cardboard stand-ups, some other movie promo crud, and a big Star Wars vader head with fighter ships battling. Those pictures are now on the walls of the computer room.

Brave Sir Robin
05-28-2002, 12:09 PM
Wow, cool Swafman!
My dad found a lifesize Darth Vader cutout in a junk pile in one of the buildings at work. It's not really in mint condition but it does look cool on my wall.

Also, there was a time when my library was throwing out some of those old "READ" posters, and I snagged one with "Weird Al" Yankovic holding a copy of A Brief History of Time on it.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Brave Sir Robin
I also dumpster-dive behind video stores to try and get movie posters and other promotional stuff.

**cough**trash digger**cough ;)

I've never done that, but if I ever happen to find a theater employee about to chuck a movie that I wanted I would stop them.

I don't think I've ever kept a movie item from the theater, but I always keep stuff I get from hockey games. Between my dad and I we have almost every promo item from the Long Beach Ice Dogs.

Jonna
05-29-2002, 10:32 AM
Dumpster-dive, pop corn tubs, half drank cups of soda??? You people are more extensive collectors than I.

Brave Sir Robin
05-29-2002, 03:28 PM
See, I'm not a completeist, though. I'll probably never own a life-sized Darth Vader. Dumpster diving for promo items and saving stuff from theaters is easy to get, so I do it.

Master Goeweins
05-29-2002, 11:45 PM
I agree. It's the easiest memorabilia to get, and often times it's more unique than what you can buy elsewhere. And this only costs you time and sometimes a little humiliation... but some would say that about wearing Jedi robes to the midnight premier.

Not only do I save all my Star Wars stubs, but they must go in the cover to my CD cases for each corresponding soundtrack.