PDA

View Full Version : Anakin/Vader's suit in Episode 3

brentfett
05-27-2002, 02:09 AM
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or not. The other day I started wondering what Anakin's Vader suit will look like in Episode 3. I mean, Vader's suit did change (didn't it?) between ANH and ROTJ. Most everything else looks different in the New Trilogy. Maybe it will have a slightly different look to it than the one in ANH. What do y'all think?

DeadEye
05-27-2002, 10:37 AM
It would probably be completely CG, like everything else in the prequel trilogy. :p

derek
05-27-2002, 11:51 PM
the only changes to vaders suit in the OT were the gloves, the paint job on the shoulder armor, and a chain added to the cape.

hayden has really been bugging george about wearing the vader suit in E3, and he says george seems to be coming around to the idea.

on a side note, did anyone notice the hanger personal around dooku's speeder wearing vader type helmets?

rick mc callum has said we will see various characters wearing different parts of the vader suit.

2-1B
05-28-2002, 04:16 AM
The rumors about JEJ doing the voice of Vader in Episode III predate the release of TPM, I doubt Hayden has such clout. :D

Rogue II
05-28-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by brentfett
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or not. The other day I started wondering what Anakin's Vader suit will look like in Episode 3. I mean, Vader's suit did change (didn't it?) between ANH and ROTJ.

Well, yeah, he lost a hand, got fried by the Emperor's Lightning....ok, just kidding, sorry.

I think it would be cool to see the Vader suit in Episode 3, but it wouldn't hurt the movie if he didn't. Episode 3 could end on a cliff hanger where during some grand final battle scene, we don't see what happens to Anakin. That way, it would be a suprise when it is revealed in ESB that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker.

stillakid
05-28-2002, 11:01 AM
Hopefully, this won't be an issue. Having Vader running around slaughtering Jedi is ridiculous. Why? First, it blows off the suspense of the OT as if it isn't an important element. We might as well burn them as much as GL cares about how much he affects them.

Secondly, when Anakin is hurt and goes into the armor, chances are that he wouldn't be "comfortable" in that new environment. That confidence we see in ANH won't come to him until months or years later. The guy is hurt. He goes on life-support somewhere. At some point, he puts on a portable life-support system (the costume), but the adjustment period won't be instantaneous. If it is, that's just plain ol' stupid.

The only reason GL will write the mask into Ep III is because "the fans want to see it" or some hooey. Continuity/logic be damned as long as "the fans" get their rocks off for a quick minute.

jblodgett
05-28-2002, 12:35 PM
Why is it ridiculous for Vader to "go around slaughtering Jedi?" That is the way it happened, is it not?

It has never been said "Anakin Skywalker" went around slaughtering Jedi.

At some point- Anakin Skywalker must die and Darth Vader must be born.

I think it would be very dramatic to have the "birth" of Darth Vader- i.e. a short scene where you see the Darth Vader helmet being fitted onto Anakin's head, and Darth Vader- complete in the costume with cape and life support devices, stands and walks or says, "The Force is with us, my Master" or something like that.

Jedi Clint
05-28-2002, 12:58 PM
Why would it be ridiculous to show Anakin slaughtering Jedi? It would be repetitive for one. For another he probably won't do this until after he gets his hind end handed to him by Obi Wan at the end of the film. There isn't any time to show such a laborious sequence.

derek
05-28-2002, 01:03 PM
caeser,

hayden wearing the vader suit won't have any effect on jones doing the voice. what hayden has been referring to in interviews is that he wants to wear the vader suit as opposed to lucas hiring another body builder like david prowse.

and from what lucas has said, the mechanical vader voice won't be needed except the last 5 minutes of the film.

one thing i do find interesting is that hayden has said in interviews that george told him anakin will have a lot more mechanical parts in episode 3, leading me to believe that anakin may get seriously wounded between films and require more artificial limbs and the beginnings of the vader suit even before he faces off against obi-wan.

Chewtobacco
05-30-2002, 12:08 AM
I hope Anakin doesn't get seriously wounded "between films". I want to see each time he gets jabbed by a light saber or shot by a droid. That'll take a lot of the excitement away.

I'm curious how a mechanical arm can even compare with a real arm. And since midichlorians run through a Jedi's body, did Anakin lose 10% when his arm got whacked?

ScarletX
05-30-2002, 12:32 AM
I have a feeling that the fight between Obi-Wan and Ani will be the climactic battle to end Episode III. Every other movie with the exception of E-IV ended with a great saber duel and I think that none would rival that duel.... I suppose that at sometime Dooku and Yoda might give it a go again..... Hmmmmm....

However I did hear a rumor about JEJ too..... definitely intriguing!

Darth_Stevious
05-30-2002, 12:42 AM
Stillakid, I think the Vader suit could be introduced without Anakin having to be injured. Perhaps he could be turned to the Dark Side mid-film. One possible scenario is that Anakin is kicked out of the council or chooses to leave on his own after his relationship with Padme is discovered and he is told he has to choose between her or the counsel (which would also fuel his anger and hatred toward the Jedi Order).He could then change his wardrobe to all black in the manner of the Sith. I don't think that it would have the helmet until after he is injured, but it could still look very similar to the Vader suit we all know.
Look at Dooku's outfit. Parts of it bear a close resemblance to Vader's suit (especially the cape). Anakin's own outfit in AOTC at times looked a lot like his future wardrobe. For what ever reason, the scene where he is carrying his mother and is shown from the shoulders up always reminds me of Vader. I think it is something about his stride and the broadness of his shoulders in that scene. He just looks a lot bigger than he does through much of the film.

sunblind
05-30-2002, 07:17 AM
You know, Anakin doesnt have to be wearing all of the suit, but seeing him gradualing wearing alittle more there and there as E3 goes on would be cool.

sunblind
05-30-2002, 07:19 AM
Now I know for the most part he wears it because of an accident he has, gets burned all over or something but to see him wear parts of it before-hand....ummm I mean before-mechanical-hand...just kidding....would be cool.

Rogue II
05-30-2002, 08:01 AM
How about this:

-Anakin starts the movie as a Jedi.
-Something happens to Padme, causing Anakin to believe she is dead.
-Palaptine blames Padme's alleged death on Dooku and the Jedi.(yeah, I know, its a long shot)
-Anakin and Dooku battle, Anakin wins, but is injured.(The old "take his place by my side" routine)
-Anakin gets part of the Vader suit.
-Anakin and Obi-Wan duel. Anakin gets injured again, Kenobi escapes. (In ANH, Vader and Kenobi talk about their previous duel, "Now I am the Master")
-Injuries from Kenobi cause Anakin to become the Vader we all know and love. We hear JEJ's voice, mabye see Vader knock off a few Jedi in a scene similar to the Tuskin Raider camp.

dirtybones
05-30-2002, 11:41 AM
[i
For what ever reason, the scene where he is carrying his mother and is shown from the shoulders up always reminds me of Vader. I think it is something about his stride and the broadness of his shoulders in that scene. He just looks a lot bigger than he does through much of the film. [/B]
That was one of the best parts of the movie, it gave me chills the way he looked at the rest of the group, as if he was saying " you waited and now she is dead":evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Dryanta
05-30-2002, 12:59 PM
I have really mixed feelings over this.I very much would to see the OT "surprise" left intact for future generations.If that's even possible.But I also very much want to see vader.I'm not convinced just because the novelization talks of a Lava pit duel between Anakin and Obi Wan that GL will honor that in the film.And I'm not at all convinced that the big duel between the two will happen at the end of the film.
I posted a idea in another thread(don't remember where) and here it is again.
Anakin could be badly hurt in a battle of the clone wars and the remaining Jedi would have no choice but to leave him behind along with a large group of other Jedi.
As the rest of the characters begin to deal with the idea that "The chosen one" is probably dead, a mysterious masked sith begins quietly killing off Jedi. Mace and Yoda could assume it was Dooku or the "sith Master" from ep1 had decided to make a more physical route with the Jedi.Yoda could go to confront Dooku and Mace could go investigate either the remaining master or apprentice.In the process metting up with (cringe) Boba Fett and well sadly I think we can all guess at the stupid end GL will go with this.
Yoda kills Dooku,And Obi wan is filled in By Palpatine as to how he found a Jedi badly wounded and deserted.He is now Darth Vader and obi Wan goes and confronts him.Big fight,padme' has the twins and Yoda and Obi Wan take them into hiding from Palpatine.Hey I'm no writer but I v'e made an effort

Laserbrain
06-01-2002, 05:17 AM
Well, what I keep seeing is that Techno Union cyborg dude in the Trade Confederacy roundtable scene. I assume his suit is for life support and he's not completely mechanical. You notice that his voice had the same tone as Vader's will have, but he had to adjust a knob to get it to work right.

If Anakin kills that guy after being injured, puts his suit on then starts whining about his life for five minutes all the while fingering that knob making his voice go up and down....

That would be lame as hell...

I agree that it's in everyone's best interest if we see only parts of the Vader suit at the most. Even then the thought of seeing Hayden with a radiator strapped to his face yelling at Obi-Wan in the voice of JEJ makes me wanna hurl. Even lying in a hospital bed speaking to Palpatine would be terrible. We cannot see Vader as weak if these last three movies are going to pay off.

therock0603
06-01-2002, 07:53 PM
Just in case anyone did have any doubts about JEJ being the voice of Vader in E3, it was confirmed a long time ago in an interview with JEJ in which he said he'd have to do some voice acting towards the end up production of the movie.

scruffziller
06-07-2002, 12:32 AM
I has been mentioned that pieces of Darth Vader's armor will be on other characters in EPS 3 and become pieces to his attire. I wonder if Count Dooku's cape will become his?

Beast
06-07-2002, 12:35 AM
If it's the same as his E2 Cape, then no. Vader's cape never had any brown on it, and was floor length. Dooku's cape isn't that long, and as I said had brown on it. Though the clasp that keeps his cape on, looks like it may later become Vader's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

saladin
06-07-2002, 08:56 AM
I think it could work if done tastefully, and not just he finds it laying on the ground.

Imperial Monarche
11-18-2002, 07:37 PM
Is Darth Vaders suit going to look any different than it does in the OT? Like, Anakin isnt really a big guy and will the suit be more fitted to look more to his structure and showin how much he's grown in the OT.

Beast
11-18-2002, 07:47 PM
Obi-Wan: "He's more machine now then man, twisted and evil."

Lucas has said in the past, that Vader does not have flesh and blood legs anymore. Among other things that have been replaced with mechanical bits. We have seen him loose his right forearm already. Whatever causes enough damage for him to require a life support suit could destroy his entire lower body. Hayden is supposedly 1.85 meters, so he only needs another .17 meters to be Vader, who stands 2.02 meters. Easily aquired from the large helmet and robotic legs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Imperial Monarche
11-18-2002, 07:49 PM
ok, well that discusses the height issue, but what about the look of the suit. will that be any different?

Beast
11-18-2002, 07:55 PM
It's unsure at this point. Seeing a few moments of it in a unfinished state would be intresting. Rick McCallum said that we would see pieces of Vader's costume on other charecters, to sort of keep some mystery to it. We have some time before we see anything for sure about the Vader suit.

According to comments by James Earl Jones, he will only be needed for voicing Vader for about 5 minutes at the end of the film. So I doubt that we'll see all that much of Vader. Plus remeber that Anakin turned to the dark side, before he needed the suit. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
11-18-2002, 07:56 PM
if you look at Vaders helmet, it's much more shiny in Return of the Jedi than A New Hope but I don't think there are anymore differences in the suit in the old trilogy.
I would think it would be just the same as in the old trilogy, I wonder when Anakin will make his crimson lightsaber?
Because his lightsaber got smashed in the droid factory... then again Obi Wan gives that to Luke.
I think Anakin will have his blue lightsaber and he'll probably fight Obi Wan with that... then he'll get beaten up and Obi Wan will take that... then in the last 5 minutes, we'll see Darth Vader with a new crimson lightsaber :)

NRPeace
11-25-2002, 10:56 AM
As to the Vader outfit: I'm sure Anakin will be wearing some version of this when he comes out of the sith closet and becomes Darth Vader (he'll probably also have his red saber at that point, too. Lucas went to some trouble not to show two jedi next to each other with the same color saber. I'm pretty sure that he won't show two jedi with blue sabers dueling each other). It will probably be very similar, but without the helmet and control box on the chest. all he needs is a black body suit, a Dooku-style cape, the leather "vest" that he wears in EII, shoulder armor and boots. Also, we don't know what Tyranus will be wearing now that he is a Sith lord and not a political separatist. The Vader "life-support" suit seen in EIV will probably be heavily based on what he wore before he got injured. If he wears the whole suit in EIII, he'll most likely be as tall as he will be in EIV. He's young, but he's not still growing that much. It would be a nice touch if Anakin designes the life-support suit, but I'm not sure how that could work.

stillakid
11-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Darth Trymybestus
if you look at Vaders helmet, it's much more shiny in Return of the Jedi than A New Hope but I don't think there are anymore differences in the suit in the old trilogy.

The mask/helmet actually differs greatly in each OT film. The most obvious alteration is with the lower "triangle" under his chin. In ANH, it was quite small, but it grew larger for each succeeding episode.

If Vader is to make an appearance in Episode III (shudder:eek: ), then the mask would have to look more like the one in ANH than ROTJ.

But here's to praying that Lucas comes to his senses and forgoes this entire idea.:(

Rogue II
11-25-2002, 12:12 PM
I still think we should briefly see Vader, but his true identity should not be revealed. Basically, just introduce him, but leave everything about him a mystery, other than the fact that he is Sith. He doesn't even have to slice up any Jedi, just show him with Palpatine at the end of the film.

Darth Ovori
11-26-2002, 12:41 PM
In ANH the he had part of the cape cover the chest plate from his belt on the sides, from ESB it's tucked under the chest plate...

Besides the shiny deco that is the only differance I've noticed...

dirtybones
11-27-2002, 11:35 AM
All I want is to see a hard core fight between Vader and Obiwan, It has to be the greatest saber battle of all time!!! If Vader is more machine then human, then we have got to see this happen in the next movie.

IMO, ESB has the best saber battle so far of all the movies. This fight between Vader and Obiwan has got to be a hundred times better than that one was.