PDA

View Full Version : R2D2 and C3PO get their memories wiped.

Co Jo-Da
11-08-2001, 12:10 AM
When will C3P0 get his memory wiped out and do you think R2-D2 will have his memory wiped out to?

JEDIpartner
11-08-2001, 11:38 AM
Probably... thinking this is to protect the identities of the children and the whereabouts of Padme?

Magnolia-Fan
11-08-2001, 11:01 PM
Why would they have their memories wiped?

bigbarada
11-08-2001, 11:20 PM
Threepio most likely has a memory wipe somewhere between Ep2 and 4. Blabbermouth, that robot is. We all know that Artoo can keep a secret so it might not be necessary for him.

However, as GL said in an interview, the story of Anaking turning to the dark side is important, the story of Threepio's memory really isn't.

Co Jo-Da
11-09-2001, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Threepio most likely has a memory wipe somewhere between Ep2 and 4. Blabbermouth, that robot is. We all know that Artoo can keep a secret so it might not be necessary for him.

However, as GL said in an interview, the story of Anaking turning to the dark side is important, the story of Threepio's memory really isn't.

I agree... R2 in ANH on Tatooine seems to know which direction to go to find help but BLABBERMOUTH I mean 3P0 doesn't have a clue.

GNT
11-09-2001, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
I mean 3P0 doesn't have a clue.

Thats because C-3po got a memory wipe ;)

Co Jo-Da
11-09-2001, 03:34 PM
OK but why isn't R2's memory get wided out... Why is R2 trusted with all that info?

LTBasker
11-10-2001, 05:07 AM
Probably because all he does is bleep, beep and whistle so if R2 starts "talking" people would just think he saw a great lookin she-R2. :D

bigbarada
11-10-2001, 12:25 PM
And since Threepio always translates for him, he would be confused by Artoo bringing up events he doesn't remember. Threepio would then just dismiss Artoo as being delusional and refuse to translate his nonsense.

LTBasker
11-10-2001, 05:10 PM
Yeah, and since 3PO in ANH would just try to dismiss it as probably being a malfunction, it sounds likely.

Wolfwood319
11-12-2001, 05:51 PM
Not to mention the fact that R2 probably knows more about what's going on than anyone else, he was there from the beginning and saw it all unfold, no one else got the whole story that he did.

Jargo
01-10-2002, 04:15 PM
If Anakin rebuilt 3PO rather than actually building him new, then it's apparent that his circuitry is faulty from the start. Look at how he first greets R2 - like a fuddled old person. So his memory chip is not good anyway and he is easily confused. it wouldn't be too far fetched to say that his memory chip is not that big and doesn't store much information. What it does store is likely overwritten regularly anyway. His translation function is probably seperate. like a totally different programme.
So 3PO is just a really old clunky droid with memory loss and a tendency to leak..... from his joints that is. :) R2 on the other hand is relatively new when we first meet him and probably has the greater memory system. He is a major part of the running of the queens ship after all and has a complete working knowledge of starship technology. He has the greater array of functions that would require a larger memory chip to perform those tasks properly.
I suggest that R2 is somehow able to back up his own internal system and hide information from the memory wipes. he then reboots his memory from the backup and away he goes personality intact and memory of all major players intact. Thus the reason he knows roughly where to find Obi-Wan. He's actually trying to reach the Lars homestead in ANH not the home of Obi-Wan. He's attempting to find the place and the people he's visited before that he knows would point him to Obi.
3PO on the other hand is just a dumb talk droid with no directional sensors or memory of anything much. So that's why he doesn't know the right way to go on Tatooine.

Sound feasible or plausible? I know there's holes but hey - off the top of my head it's the best theory i can come up with right now. :)

Magnolia-Fan
01-10-2002, 06:00 PM
Attached is a segment from the Star Wars radio series which may explain why they do not "claim" to remeber anything.

Setting the scene: Captain Antilles calls the droids over to give them orders before handing the droids over to Leia.

Magnolia-Fan
01-10-2002, 06:58 PM
Also, in the Star Wars novelization (page 51), after Luke sees the bit of Leia's message and inquires about it, we find the following paragraph:

quote:

Threepio shook his head slowly. "Quite frankly, sir, I don't know what he is talking about. Our last master was Captain Colton. I've never heard Artoo mention a prior master. I've certainly never heard of an Obi-Wan Kenobi. But with all we've been through", he concluded apologetically, "I'm afraid his logic circuits have gotten a bit scrambled. He's become decidedly eccentric at times." And while Luke considered this turn of events, Threepio took the opportunity to throw Artoo a furious look of warning.

end quote

Note the last line says " ...Threepio took the opportunity to throw Artoo a furious look of warning. " .

My thought is, why would he? Well, perhaps he was trying to hide something, and Artoo was about to spill the beans.

Finally, my last and weakest clue. In Star Wars (the movie), when Luke and co are Obi-Wan's house, Obi-Wan says, "Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feard you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damned fool idealistic crusade, like your father did."

At that exact point, Threepio says, " Sir, if you'll not be needing me, I'll close down for a while." He then shuts himself off.

I say this is my weakest point, because it could just be coincedence, but Threepio shut himself down at the exact moment Luke and Ben's conversation about Anakin went from casual ("When I met your father, he was already a great pilot...") to information that he might accidentally blabber about, either confirming, or contesting Ben's statements ("...follow Obi-Wan...like your father did.").

Also, name any other time that Threepio has VOLUNTARILY shut himself down.

So here's my conclusion:

Threeepio and Artoo are LIARS. Not in a bad way though. They were more than likely ordered to protect the twins at any cost. This includes lying to them, if need be, about Anakin, Padme, and each other in order to keep their father from discovering their existence.

Remember, George used to say that the entire saga is seen from the droids' point of view. If that is the case, perhaps this prequel trilogy should never have been made. Why, you ask? Well because, if the entire saga is seen through their point of view, They would not have a "point of view" concerning the prequel trilogy if their memories had been wiped!

bigbarada
01-10-2002, 07:10 PM
Interesting points Magnolia-Fan. Definitely puts a new spin on things.

Jargo
01-11-2002, 03:03 PM
kinda kills the thread though :p ;)

I remember all of that and take on board what you're saying. I ignore the radio dramatisation because it strays too far into sillyness and extrapolation for the sake of it.

How could a droid with no expressions function shoot R2 a furious look of warning? Isn't 3PO a metal headed featureless machine? That's just silly.

See what everyone's forgetting is that R2 is effectively reprogrammed by Leia when she pushes the data into R2 in the sub hallway of the Tantive IV. So R2 may actually regain a lot of his memory after their memories are wiped. He may be imbued with a new set of recognotion data both optical and tactical. As well as having the plans of the Death star of course.

3PO is programmed with a lofty attitude. He is constructed to behave like a snooty butler. R2 is just a mechanic so in standing he is beneath 3PO according to 3PO himself. But R2 is actually the one with all the smarts. R2 is the tactician and planner of the escapades. 3PO just translates what R2 says.
The most annoying thing about 3PO is his constant running commentary on the action in the films. This is only bearable when you consider who he's commentating for. R2 being shorter can't see everything even if he can sense it but 3PO is his eyes in a crowd sort of thing. That's how it seems to me. :D

The Overlord Returns
01-11-2002, 03:29 PM
The memory wipe hardly nixes the idea that the story is viewed through their point of view, it simply is broken up through the saga.

It's obvious that r2 knew where to look for obi wan because that was part of the info leia gave to him. Thus, the memory wipe would still be plausible.

It would seem foolish on the part of the fledgling rebellion not to destroy incriminating and dangerous info as to the whereabouts of Kenobi, yoda, or the children of anakin skywalker. Well, atleast obi Wan would think it necessary to destroy that last piece of info.

sith_killer_99
01-13-2002, 01:56 AM
The books go a little more in depth on the whole memory wipe issue. Astromech's in particular require memory wipes more often than other droids. It all has to do with how they interface with starfighters.

Anyway, I always perfered to think of it like this:

Droids get memory wipes regularly.

They have certain things hard-wired in, like language translation and "personality" so to speak.

Other aspects of their memory can be protected or hiden.

It's like a computer, you can encrypt something so that only certain people have access. Or you can do a complete wipe. But you will still have certain instructions that are still there.

And I don't think R2 remembers Tatooine from EP1 in ANH, but I could be wrong.

Obi-Don
01-13-2002, 03:47 AM
In the movies and the books it seems that droids are wiped often.So why wouldn't C3PO and R2. Different owners will want different things out of thier droids. There as been some very good points made here and I would have to agree with some. I think that the programming that R2 had was giving to him before he was sent down to the planet.C3Po didn't have a clue on what was going on. To me it is pain that after they hooked up with Luke that thier memory was left intact. There is no mentions of past lifes with different owners or the time spent with Anakin or anyone else. So to me its like selling a used computer. You wipe out all personnal info but keep the programs that are need for it to work.

jblodgett
05-02-2002, 10:46 AM
At what point in the prequel will C3-PO's memory be erased?

I have seen discussions in the past that R2D2's memory probably HAS NOT ever been erased, and he is following along the story as it goes. But it seems as though C3-PO's memory has to have been erased at some point, as he clearly has no idea who Obiwan Kenobi is when they meet up on Tatooine, nor does he have any idea of the fact that Darth Vader is in fact Anakin Skywalker.

2-1B
05-02-2002, 01:02 PM
I also don't think R2's memory was erased.

As for Threepio, I don't think I need to see his memory get erased. It will be so obvious that he doesn't recognize Tatooine or the homestead, that combined with Owen comments about memory wipes should make for a pretty clear inference. :)

jblodgett
05-02-2002, 01:58 PM
I'm thinking C3-PO has to know about the fact that Padme is pregnant with the twins, and due to security concerns, they erase C3-PO's memory. They don't want Anakin/Darth Vader getting ahold of C3-PO and getting him to tell where the twins are being kept/hidden/etc. R2-D2 doesn't need his memory wiped because he would rather be destroyed than share what he knows.

hamsterboy
05-03-2002, 02:01 AM
Who would R2 tell anyways? I think they wiped 3PO's memory. I mean he should have known something when he learns Luke's last name.

Darth-AWT
05-12-2002, 01:36 PM
Have you ever noticed how much of a selective memory C-3PO has?

In ANH, he says "There will be no escape for the princess this time"

Then tells Luke "I'm not quite sure Sir" When asked who she is in the Halo-Image.

I don't think C-3PO's memory has ever been erased, he knows alot more than he lets on.

bigbarada
05-12-2002, 03:41 PM
I think the answer to whether he has had a memory wipe will never really be addressed onscreen. GL will probably leave it up to the audience to decide for themselves whether Threepio really has no clue what is going on or is just being coy.

sunblind
05-21-2002, 10:15 AM
I think 3po's memory gets it near the end and r2's doesnt. hopefully it'll be done well.

chewie
05-23-2002, 01:16 AM
I think 3PO's memory will be wiped on screen in the grand fashion of The Phantom Menace's exposition. And one of the actors will say it plain as day as to what and why 3PO's memory will be erased. Sad to think, but it seems like that will happen, IMO. Something like "We're erasing C3PO's memory so that Padme and the Jedi's locations will not be found out by the Empire." :dead: :crazed:

Battle Droid
05-24-2002, 12:43 AM
This comes from www.theforce.net

E! News Reveals Droid Spoiler
Thu, May 23, 02 11:29:25 PM EDT

Diaz tells us that tonight on E! News Live, George Lucas reveals a secret about C-3PO and R2-D2 from Episode 3!
Patrick Stinson: Anakin in Episode One created C3PO. In the original trilogy, C3PO doesn't recognize him as Darth Vader because...
George Lucas: Well, one, his brains have, his memory system has been erased and so has R2's. So, they don't remember anything from the first trilogy. I'm telling you something from Episode 3, but I shouldn't be telling you that, but I think most of the fans already know that.

browndroid
05-24-2002, 02:58 AM
also, wouldnt owen remember c3p0, the droid worked on the moisture farm for like 10 years

jblodgett
05-24-2002, 12:35 PM
Not necessarily. The C3PO from episode II looks a lot different than the 3po from Ep.IV. And- as we've seen from the movies so far- there are lots of different looking protocol droids who share the same body style as 3po.

Perhaps old Owen just doesn't recognize the difference between 3po and 3po. Although- you would think when C3PO says to them in Star Wars "I am C3PO, human cyborg relations"- Owen would instantly recognize the droid.

Perhaps Owen DID recognize C3PO- and remembered what an asset he was on the farm- and had no idea of the mess 3PO had been in over the years. As far as Owen knew- Anakin had died long ago.

Jedi Clint
05-24-2002, 12:49 PM
Owen knew the truth about Anakin. I think there is more going on with Owen's reaction to the protocol droid standing in front of him than simple recognition or the lack there of.

icatch9
05-24-2002, 01:28 PM
It's clear droids are treated as second class citizens. So, this is why Owen doesn't recall. Along with the fact that all 3P0 units look the same. Plus, we don't know if owen even bothered to talk to the droid. He does seem jaded towards 3P0 units when he meets C3P0 in the OT. This could be due to the fact that the PT C3P0 was such a bad worker. Plus, he's an old man and can't be expected to remember everything. I mean ask some 60somthing farmer if he remembers who he sat next to in 7 grade. Might not remember, so it's sort of the same thing.

browndroid
05-24-2002, 01:36 PM
yeah, there are probably to many portocool droids that look like him to remember

Eternal Padawan
05-27-2002, 10:46 AM
From Dark Horizons (www.darkhorizons.com)...

Star Wars: Episode III: George Lucas spoke with "E! News Daily" where he was asked the question of why C-3PO doesn't recognise as Vader? Lucas's answer was exactly what many fans were guessing but at least now its confirmed: "Well, one, his brains have, his memory system has been erased and so has R2's. So, they don't remember anything from the first trilogy. I'm telling you something from Episode 3, but I shouldn't be telling you that, but I think most of the fans already know that". The bigger news of today though was MTV apparently re-iterated rumours that Natalie Portman has signed on to be a part of the new scenes being filmed for Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi - she'll shoot scenes during the production of Episode III which'll then be reinserted to the DVD release of 'Jedi'. Thanks to 'Kenobi' & 'SQ'.

stillakid
05-27-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
From Dark Horizons (www.darkhorizons.com)...

Star Wars: Episode III: George Lucas spoke with "E! News Daily" where he was asked the question of why C-3PO doesn't recognise as Vader? Lucas's answer was exactly what many fans were guessing but at least now its confirmed: "Well, one, his brains have, his memory system has been erased and so has R2's. So, they don't remember anything from the first trilogy. I'm telling you something from Episode 3, but I shouldn't be telling you that, but I think most of the fans already know that". The bigger news of today though was MTV apparently re-iterated rumours that Natalie Portman has signed on to be a part of the new scenes being filmed for Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi - she'll shoot scenes during the production of Episode III which'll then be reinserted to the DVD release of 'Jedi'. Thanks to 'Kenobi' & 'SQ'.

Speaking of C3PO's brains, I was under the impression that they were not in his head, but in his chest. So when his head pops off in AOTC, not only is the neck interface all contrived, but he should've gone into a coma.

2-1B
05-27-2002, 12:43 PM
I know people have raised the question of why Owen does not recognize Threeps, but how do we know he doesn't? Sure, maybe Owen forgot about him, but maybe he recognized him and didn't care until they started on about Obi-Wan.

I do not like the idea of erasing R2's memory. Threepio's has to go, but I liked my theory that R2 knows everything - adds to his character for me. George, please reconsider. :mad:

Beast
05-27-2002, 01:52 PM
It's possible that Owen recognizes him. If he does, he must know about the memory wipe, or atleast think it's been done. Since he would never have let C-3PO be alone with Luke, since he would have known what happened to Anakin. I also agree with Caesar, make it only C-3PO that gets wiped.

I wonder if it's more of a memory cap, and not a wipe actually. Like it's supressing certain things in his memories. And quite possibly, after Vader is dead and Princess Leia has been revealed as Luke's sister that the cap dizzolved. It would be a kinder way to treat the droid, then just erasing his memory. Here is why I think that.

In the Star Wars: Return of the Jedi radio drama, one other person joins Luke at Vader's funeral pyre. C-3PO comes and watches silently as Vader's suit is burned. It's possible that that was originally planned for the movies as well, but was dropped as it wouldn't make any sense before the prequels were made. I wonder if Lucas will add C-3PO to the funeral pyre scene, for the DVD archival editions. It would be a nice thing to do, IMHO. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
05-27-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

In the Star Wars: Return of the Jedi radio drama, one other person joins Luke at Vader's funeral pyre. C-3PO comes and watches silently as Vader's suit is burned. It's possible that that was originally planned for the movies as well, but was dropped as it wouldn't make any sense before the prequels were made. I wonder if Lucas will add C-3PO to the funeral pyre scene, for the DVD archival editions. It would be a nice thing to do, IMHO. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

...with a slight oil drop dripping from his golden eye to be interpreted by the audience as a lonely droid shedding a tear for his creator. sniff:cry:

:rolleyes:

Enough already.

Beast
05-27-2002, 02:10 PM
Oh come on Stillakid, there are alot worse things then that, that could be added to the archival editions. I wouldn't mind seeing C-3PO there during the funeral. I don't want to see Leia there, though. Just like in the novels it should take her a very long time to get over the fact Vader was her daddy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
05-27-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Oh come on Stillakid, there are alot worse things then that, that could be added to the archival editions. I wouldn't mind seeing C-3PO there during the funeral. I don't want to see Leia there, though. Just like in the novels it should take her a very long time to get over the fact Vader was her daddy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

If anybody belongs there, it's Leia. I always wondered why she also didn't see the ghosts at the end. That would have been a more poignant moment than just having Luke chuckle and walk away. But in the end, I don't think he should change anything concerning those characters or more importantly, take away from their own development by dropping in cameos of prequel characters all willy nilly just for the hay of it.

Croaker
05-27-2002, 03:37 PM
I too agree that R2 should not have his memory wiped.
he always seemed to be the one who knew what was going on.
After I saw ep I i though...yes, that's it, R2 has known the whole time.

2-1B
05-27-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
...with a slight oil drop dripping from his golden eye to be interpreted by the audience as a lonely droid shedding a tear for his creator. sniff:cry:
:rolleyes:
Enough already.

*Caesar quickly reaches for another sandbag to keep the debate from spilling over from another thread* :D

Actually, that's a good comparison. As physically impossible as it is for Hayden to cast Vader's shadow, it would be equally impossible for Threepio to shed a tear (or say in an Arnold voice, "I know now why you cry.") . . . just leaving interpretation as the only avenue. :p

Eternal Padawan
05-28-2002, 10:14 AM
The tear is over the top, but having Threepio come up and stand silently by is a nice touch. Thats kind of retro cool that they did that in the Radio Drama. maybe George did have it planned all along...;)

I'd rather have threepio at the pyre than padme stuck in the film somewhere. What's THAT all about?

sunblind
05-28-2002, 10:45 AM
Well then how come c3p0 can remember his first job. If you watch Episode 4, he tells what his job discription was. And one of his first jobs, you see him in action in episode 2 doing just what he said. (Of course i forgot the title c3p0 gave it)
So it must be some kind of partial memory wipe and not a full one.

Rogue II
05-28-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

I'd rather have threepio at the pyre than padme stuck in the film somewhere. What's THAT all about?

Yeah, I think that was the most interesting part of that article you posted. I believe my exact words were "What the..." I knew Mr. Lucas couldn't just release the OT on DVD without changing anything. I wonder how he is going to put here in there? He doesn't seem to ever use flashbacks.

stillakid
05-28-2002, 10:50 AM
Off the record, of course, I predict that bootlegged versions of the movies (that remove the stupid stuff and keep the enhanced fx) will be quite popular. :)

jblodgett
05-28-2002, 12:53 PM
I am disappointed to hear that R2 gets his memory wiped. Someone once postulated that R2 goes through the entire series with his memory intact- and added that R2 treated different people differently. He was always respectful of Princess Leia and so forth.

tagmac
05-28-2002, 10:52 PM
The only idea I like would be adding C-3PO into the funeral pyre scene. It would be a subtle and relevant addition to the old trilogy. Hopefully Lucas is listening and will consider this for real.

Tonysmo
05-30-2002, 10:40 AM
I think someone needs to hurry up and create a SAVE R2.com so we can all post our vents on having Lucas NOT do such a thing. I agree that C-3PO can have his memory wiped, but not R2.

Funny though as it has been brought up that C-3PO knew what his 1st job was, would be even funnier to have him say," in fact, I used to work here and you owe me some back pay pal!" ( Im kidding of course )

I do think having R2 knowing the WHOLE deal the whole time would make his character more appealing in the long run

having 3PO at the Pyre would be cool. Of course making a full memory wipe kinda impossible..

Eternal Padawan
05-30-2002, 10:44 AM
Lucas just recently confirmed in an interview that the droids get memory wipes in Episode III.

Tonysmo
05-30-2002, 11:09 AM
just a quick blurb on C-3PO being the only translator for R2.. Luke seemed to know what R2 was saying during the flights they had together, I want to think that he may have been reading a screen in his X wing, but he still seemed to know what he was saying even on Dagobah. I dont know how this may relate to a memory wipe, but I thought it was interesting enough to bring up..

Dryanta
05-30-2002, 11:16 AM
No wipe for R2.
I think 3Po at the pyre would be a nice touch.
If Padme' is going to be in ROTJ I hope it is a flash back.When luke asks Leia if she remembered her mother.I hope it's not at the spirit scene at the end of the film.Unless Leia see's them too.Then it might be cool to see Padme' next to Anakin

JonoFett
08-09-2002, 06:26 PM
It has been confirmed by the man himself that both droids will have their memories erased in the final prequel.

It seems likely that this will occur at the end of the film, but by whom and for what reason? I suspect officials on Alderaan under the instructions of Bail Organa are responsible for erasing their memories (perhaps), especially if they are privy to events surrounding the births of the Skywalker twins and the tragic fate of their parents.

Other ideas:
Do they uncover the Death Star plans? Are they witnesses at the execution of a prominant character?

I would have to go with the Skywalker twins theory and the demise of their mother and father, as Anakin.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-09-2002, 06:57 PM
I don't know, but . . . EPISODE III IS GONNA BE FRICKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh man, oh man, oh man, where did you hear they were gonna be memory-swiped?

JonoFett
08-10-2002, 06:37 AM
It is quite conceivable that the droids discover that Luke is bound for Tatooine, under the guardianship of the Lars, and Leia on Alderaan. So as to prevent the wrong people from learning of Luke & Leia's whereabouts, should they be captured, there respective memory banks are erased of all knowledge of the Skywalker twins.

JonoFett
08-10-2002, 06:39 AM
As regards threepio's failure to recognise the homestead, the Lars and Tatooine for that matter, Owen is probably aware that his purchase from the Jawas is the same droid owned by his late stepmother.

Freedom
08-10-2002, 04:10 PM
Maybe when a droid has it's memory erased, it's selective. You leave things like job history and job experience, like spoken reume of sorts. Whatever is erased is up to the seller and buyer of the droid.

I think R2 should have his memory erased as well. Lea programed the coordinates of Ben's house in R2. That's how he knew where he was going.

jobi
08-10-2002, 08:42 PM
I think I read somewhere, may have been EU that R2 and threepio's memory's were never wiped.

DarthBrandon
08-10-2002, 08:55 PM
If George says they will have their memories wiped, then I have to believe him.:)

JonoFett
08-11-2002, 10:18 AM
I think his word is pretty much final.

Imperial Monarche
08-29-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Co Jo-Da
OK but why isn't R2's memory get wided out... Why is R2 trusted with all that info?

come on, he is trusted to carry the Death Star plans in Ep. IV. how much more trust does a droid need to gain? if he ran his beeper, that could have certainly meant the destruction of the rebels.

Pendo
09-05-2002, 12:48 PM
This isn't a spoiler because it was confirmed by Lucas himeslf, but the droids WILL get a memory wipe at the end of Episode III.

PENDO!

Wookiee
09-05-2002, 05:06 PM
I agree that while the memory wipes may make the story a bit cleaner and easier to write, it really kills a lot of the momentum and continuity that Episode 3 would have leading into Episode 4. I really really don't want R2 to get wiped, and I don't think I want 3P0 wiped either. Keeping all their memories makes them much more interesting and complex characters. Wiping them pretty much makes them completely different characters from one trilogy to the next, thus negating any sense of continuity for them throughout the entire saga.

I know it would seem that C-3PO is playing dumb in Episode 4, if he already knows about Anakin and Obi Wan, but I like the explanation that he is a protocol droid, and as such must be discreet about former owners and employers.

Here's another idea for 3PO that I haven't seen out there yet: Maybe he doesn't need to get his memory wiped, but rather his programming is such that he "forgets" things after a while. Perhaps all of the translation/protocol data is hard-programmed into him, and is never lost; but daily occurrences, chance meetings, and past events are stored in a less permanent memory storage system, and are sometimes forgotten, just like in humans. For example, I will never forget how to read, which I learned in early elementary school, but I can't say I remember who sat next to me in First Grade, while I was learning to read.

Anyway, I think the "memory wipe" is not a very creative solution to the situation, and would be an unimaginative and cheap way to write the script.

gibbyhayes
09-07-2002, 03:56 PM
R2 & 3PO hang with Cheech & Chong Antillies between trilogies on the planet Pufganja and simply "space" all of their previous employers and wherabouts.;)

Jedi Clint
09-07-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by gibbyhayes
R2 & 3PO hang with Cheech & Chong Antillies between trilogies on the planet Pufganja and simply "space" all of their previous employers and wherabouts.;)

That has to be my favorite explanation for the droid memory issues to date :).

mini-rock
09-07-2002, 07:49 PM
R2 & 3PO hang with Cheech & Chong Antilles between trilogies on the planet Pufganja and simply "space" all of their previous employers and whereabouts.;)

I was taking a sip of my coffee when I read this, and I about choked. Good laugh.

I was thinking that since GL is going to give R2 & 3PO memory wipes does it have to happen in the PT? Why not have it happen in ANH when the Star Destroyer is chasing Tantive IV? Right before the storm troopers board we see some sort of machine that floats over the droids and wipes all the droids memories so they can not give any info to Vader. Antilles men do the wipes, and a few minutes later Leia finds R2, and gives him the DS plans. I guess the machine or whatever would say memory clear or something to that effect. I don't know. He could always put it in the Archival Editions.

The Overlord Returns
09-07-2002, 08:12 PM
I REALLY like the 3 po at the pyre thing....It's a beautiful touch. It also wouldn't be the first instance in the OT that gl points to a Vader/ 3 po relationship. The first being when he stops fett from shooting at chewbacca, who ofcourse is carrying ceeps on his back.

I also agree that there is NO reason for leia to be there, as she has just discovered that vader was her father. She won't come to accept it for years, and was not at all close to him. Luke atleast had an emotional struggle with the man, and saved his life and all...

The issue is simple. # po and r2 will have their memories wiped, most likely at the order of yoda, who wants the New hope protected until the time is right. There is great risk in letting 2 droids wander about knowing every thing that went down involving the skywalker family, the old republics destruction, and the whereabouts of the last 2 remaining jedi.

As for Owen, the man's as big a liar and deciever as Old Ben ever was. If he recognized 3 po......he wouldn't say squat.

Rogue II
11-22-2002, 10:51 AM
Correct me if I am wrong or missed any important pieces of info.

Lets start off with what we know about C-3PO from the OT:

-His owner (prior to Luke) was Capt Antilles.
-His first job was programming binary lifters.
-He's seen lots of battles

What we know about him from TPM and ATOC:

-Anakin built him out of spare parts
-His first job was working on the Lars' homestead
-He was knocked over by Kit Fisto's lady kinnin' grin.;)

C-3PO will most likey have his memory erased sometime between Episode 3 and ANH, which will explain some of the mismatch of facts.

R2 has "saved the day" in every movie so far:

TPM - Restored the shields on Padme's ship, helped Anakin destroy the Control Ship
ATOC - Saved Padme from the molten metal, recorded Obi-Wan's message.
ANH - Had the Death Star Plans, found Leia in the Death Star, and helped Luke destroy the Death Star
ESB - Activated the hyperdrive on the Faclon to allow Luke, Leia, Lando, and Chewbacca escape Vader
ROTJ - Hid Luke's lightsaber, and pushed 3PO off the sail barge before it exploded, zapped some Ewok in the back side

What is going to happen to R2 and 3PO for them to go from Padme and Anakin's control to end up on Leia's ship over Tatooine? Do you think GL will do things in the Episode 3 to keep C-3PO from being a "liar" like Ben Kenobi?

Wookiee
11-22-2002, 11:18 AM
There's been plenty of talk about memorie wipes, but how about this- not only would 3P0 have his memories wipes, but some phoney ones could be implanted in him, like a "Captian Antilles" and the binary load lifter story that never really happened but were added to their memories to decrease any suspicion of their previous adventures.

actually now that I think of it, that's kinda lame. I would have rather seen a Captain Antilles character in the prequels. they're prequels after all. Meaning stuff that happened before. And 3P0 and R2 belonging to Captain Antilles was stuff that happened before.

oh well

Beast
11-22-2002, 01:16 PM
Lucas has already confirmed memory wipes for both C-3PO and R2-D2. Hopefully that changes slightly, to just be C-3PO, since R2 always seems to know more then everyone else. It should also be a memory cap, not an erasure, in my opinion. :)

There is no real need to introduce Captain Antillies, as he already appears in ANH and is not important to the storyline. Not to mention the 18 years that pass between the end of E3 and ANH. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
11-22-2002, 01:25 PM
Ya know...................I think it could fit that neither of them actually have memory implants. So far, C 3po has YET to meet Obi Wan Kenobi. It stands to reason that he may not in ep 3....therefore, he may never have met him by the time anh occurs. 3PO may have been protocoled to NOT reveal informatuion about what happened to the republic. I've always wondered why 3po is so dismissive when questioned about his involvement in the rebellion.

Also, considering 3po actually went the right way when they landed on ANH....could it be that protocols installed...were leading him, and hence, r2 and his message, to get the ball rolling on what was a massively designed plan to take down the empire?

Or...am I making ABSOLUTELY no sense?

neonblade
12-07-2002, 07:25 PM
It makes me laugh when I think about R2's and 3po's past. I mean they leave lars farm to be bought back 20-some odd yrs later. I mean come on Uncle owen lol. I guess he didn't know it was 3-po when he bought him but 3po does keep saying " Hello i am c3po- human citle relations", or whatever Wouldn't that ring a bell. And one quick question... How do the droids get out of the arena in the end of AOTC lol

i think there is more connections but i can't think right now

neonblade

Jaff
01-05-2003, 02:31 AM
R2 never gets his memory whipped. He knows who luke is, where ben is in Episode IV. And why would 3PO need his memory whipped. He may never realize that Darth Vader is Anakin until Luke learns of it in Empire. 3PO is rather thick headed you know.

Beast
01-05-2003, 02:47 AM
Well, better tell Lucas that Jaff. Because he's already said that both of them do. Of course things change between original ideas and the final movie. But as of the last time Lucas spoke about E3 and the droids, he said that both get wiped. C-3PO is a definate for a memory cap or wipe, R2-D2 can go either way, storywise. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jaff
01-05-2003, 02:56 AM
Lucas is notorious about the secrets of his scripts, such a plot point offered is shocking, but I'm sure you read it or heard it from something relieable so I'll trust you on that point. That really would be lame though. It would take allot of continuity where R2 is concerned.

Beast
01-05-2003, 03:39 AM
Typically he is, but he did let it fly in an interview. He may mention it on the E2 DVD as well. I know there is a couple quotes from the interview in the thread here somewhere. Let me find and slap them here at the end. :)

Diaz tells us that tonight on E! News Live, George Lucas reveals a secret about C-3PO and R2-D2 from Episode 3!

Patrick Stinson: Anakin in Episode One created C3PO. In the original trilogy, C3PO doesn't recognize him as Darth Vader because...

George Lucas: Well, one, his brains have, his memory system has been erased and so has R2's. So, they don't remember anything from the first trilogy. I'm telling you something from Episode 3, but I shouldn't be telling you that, but I think most of the fans already know that.

Star Wars: Episode III: George Lucas spoke with "E! News Daily" where he was asked the question of why C-3PO doesn't recognise as Vader?

Lucas's answer was exactly what many fans were guessing but at least now its confirmed: "Well, one, his brains have, his memory system has been erased and so has R2's. So, they don't remember anything from the first trilogy. I'm telling you something from Episode 3, but I shouldn't be telling you that, but I think most of the fans already know that".

The bigger news of today though was MTV apparently re-iterated rumours that Natalie Portman has signed on to be a part of the new scenes being filmed for Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi - she'll shoot scenes during the production of Episode III which'll then be reinserted to the DVD release of 'Jedi'. Thanks to 'Kenobi' & 'SQ'.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jaff
01-05-2003, 03:47 AM
3PO being erased seems cool, he gets blasted to bits then rebuilt or something, but R2 getting erased sounds needless and shallow. Hopefully that does not happen. It would be very ironic if 3po is destroyed while he looks like junk and padme has him reconstructed in gold to honor her dead husband.

jesterX
01-27-2003, 12:03 AM
I think that only treepio had his memory wiped. It seems to me that Artoo knows what is going especially in a New Hope.
Didn't Threepio say that Captain Antilles was their last master?

Kidhuman
02-10-2003, 11:18 AM
I was watching AOTC yesterday. In it when Anakin arrives on Tatooine to Cletus's home, C3PO remembers him and says he is the maker. My question is in ANH why doesn't 3PO remember being there before? I know the answers probably are ANH was made before all that but still........wouldn't C3PO also know that Luke was Anakins child and that Leia was his sister? ANy help or comments will be helped.

Rogue II
02-10-2003, 11:32 AM
George Lucas has already said that C-3PO ( and I think R2 as well) has his memory wiped sometime between ATOC and ANH.

Kidhuman
02-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Okay was that in an interview or in a movie?

mini-rock
02-10-2003, 01:28 PM
I saw it on an interview with ET a couple weeks before the release of AOTC. I cant' remember if it was on any of the commentaries though.:)