PDA

View Full Version : New scene for Jedi during Ep III filming

Croaker
05-27-2002, 09:58 AM
Just picked this up from Darkhorizons:

The bigger news of today though was MTV apparently re-iterated rumours that Natalie Portman has signed on to be a part of the new scenes being filmed for Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi - she'll shoot scenes during the production of Episode III which'll then be reinserted to the DVD release of 'Jedi'.

Interesting.
Lets see how much Lucas is going to mess around with the OT.
He's already shot stuff to go back into ep IV from what I've heard.

stillakid
05-27-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Croaker
Just picked this up from Darkhorizons:

The bigger news of today though was MTV apparently re-iterated rumours that Natalie Portman has signed on to be a part of the new scenes being filmed for Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi - she'll shoot scenes during the production of Episode III which'll then be reinserted to the DVD release of 'Jedi'.

Interesting.
Lets see how much Lucas is going to mess around with the OT.
He's already shot stuff to go back into ep IV from what I've heard.

SAY NO TO GRATUITOUS FLASHBACKS! (unless she's naked):sur:

matt_ox
05-27-2002, 10:11 AM
what do you guys think it will be?

stillakid
05-27-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by matt_ox
what do you guys think it will be?

There's only one thing it can be: a gratuitous flashback when Leia is describing her mother to Luke at the Ewok village. That scene is all about a brother and sister reuniting within tragic circumstances...not about having recollections from the prequels. GL is out to ruin the OT by inserting every "linking shot" he can just because he now has the technology. I'm all for enhancing effects and that sort of thing, but this tampering with the story is ridiculous.

stillakid
05-27-2002, 10:25 AM
Oh, and Lucas admits in the new INSIDER that he only used the Fett thing in Ep II because he was a "fan favorite." Convoluted (and convenient!) plot line influenced by fan desires. Hmm? Okay, then how about knocking this crap off with reediting the movies that everybody already loves?!

2-1B
05-27-2002, 11:33 AM
Hmm, a flashback shot would be new to the SW films.
My first thought was that they'll put her ghost next to Anakin's (they'll need to really apply the makeup to make that believable :D ), but I just had the thought that while Luke is watching the spirits appear, Padme will come running around the corner of the Ewok hut and give Leia a big hug. How's THAT for continuity? :crazed:

Or they can erase Mon Mothma and have Natalie shoot her scenes, thus keeping her character alive.

stillakid
05-27-2002, 12:53 PM
I'm thinking a bunch of Jar Jar's kids could be piloting X-Wings during the climatic battle. Maybe one of them is an aide to Ackbar. The scene was getting a little too intense and needed the comic relief. :rolleyes:

maulreborn
05-27-2002, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

There's only one thing it can be: a gratuitous flashback when Leia is describing her mother to Luke at the Ewok village. That scene is all about a brother and sister reuniting within tragic circumstances...not about having recollections from the prequels. GL is out to ruin the OT by inserting every "linking shot" he can just because he now has the technology. I'm all for enhancing effects and that sort of thing, but this tampering with the story is ridiculous.

I agree with you, also notice there is no any flashback on the entire Saga (for now). I think to put a flashback on ROTJ is a tremendous error.

Beast
05-27-2002, 01:13 PM
Not sure what I think about the Padme flashback. Depends on how it's handled. If it's tastefully done, and only a few shots, I can handle it. That way we can see the sadness that Padme had for years before she died, that Leia talks about. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
05-27-2002, 02:12 PM
I think he should every second of everybody's life and put it on the internet in a kind of interactive experience. He clearly thinks we want (need) to see every reaction, from everybody that exists in that world, plus their backstory's so that would provide the best avenue without those annoying time restraints that motion pictures tie filmmakers with. And you'd have to watch them all simultaneously, like a great big Brady Bunch screen except with, like, a hundred boxes or so.

:rolleyes:

The art of filmmaking isn't dropping everything onscreen that you can. It's deciding those key moments that are required to tell the story and leaving other key moments out. Just because he can do it doesn't mean he should. The guy started out as an editor for pete's sake. He should know better than that.

Kuzu
05-27-2002, 02:13 PM
we might get to see how she bit the dust.

Jedi Clint
05-27-2002, 03:53 PM
I think she will appear next to Anakin as a spirit.

2-1B
05-27-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
I'm thinking a bunch of Jar Jar's kids could be piloting X-Wings during the climatic battle. Maybe one of them is an aide to Ackbar. The scene was getting a little too intense and needed the comic relief. :rolleyes:

No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. Ackbar is a Gungan - they evolved from frogs to lobsters. :p

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Not sure what I think about the Padme flashback. Depends on how it's handled. If it's tastefully done, and only a few shots, I can handle it.

I could handle a few 'tastefully done' shots myself ( :kiss: ), c'mon George - spice up the films a lil' bit more! :D

Wolfwood319
05-27-2002, 04:37 PM
I'm interested in seeing what other changes they'll make/add to the films before their dvd releases. I kind of like the idea of Padme being in it, too kind of connect the 2 trilogies a little more.

stillakid
05-27-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Caesar

I could handle a few 'tastefully done' shots myself ( :kiss: ), c'mon George - spice up the films a lil' bit more! :D

Spice. Yeah. That's what I meant. As long as she's naked...:cool:

Bosskman
05-27-2002, 09:20 PM
She can't be Mon Mothma because that would contradict Leia's knowing she died. George wouldn't take that scene out because it's pivotal. If Padme WERE Mothma, then Luke and Leia would have to find that out before the end of the movie and there's both not enuff time to do that, no place to put such a scene, and no way of making luke and Leia look young enuff to pull it off. I mean, Mark Hamil's a little on the old and chunky side now, and Carrie Fisher looks like she's been rode hard and put away wet. Her voice is so manly and raspy now she's sound like the offspring of Jabba and Yoda. Plus there's no reason to make her into Mothma. I think it will either be in a flashback scene in the film, or possibly an extra feature on the DVD, just so we get a chance to see what happened to her. I know there haven't been any flashbacks and agree that it wouldn't fit with the stlye of the filma, but if there was ever such a flashback that were to be inserted, THAT would be it.

Bosskman
05-27-2002, 09:24 PM
Having her as a ghost at the end is probably the best way to go though. It would show that her and Anakin were finally together AND also Luke would see his mother. It would be weird seeing her next to old Anakin though. If she died when Leia was very young, she probably would have been 30 at the oldest. Anakin's at least 60, or he looks it at any rate. I know that's how it is but it's still sorta weird.

Jedi Clint
05-27-2002, 10:07 PM
He may redo the ghost scene all together, using the characters younger visages instead.

Battle Droid
05-27-2002, 10:14 PM
Why would Padme be a ghost? She's no Jedi.

derek
05-27-2002, 10:46 PM
if they are gonna add padme to ROTJ, then i'm all for them using a battle scarred hayden as the vader revealed and as the anakin spirit. this is gonna get some people really upset.:eek:

Battle Droid
05-27-2002, 11:01 PM
if they are gonna add padme to ROTJ, then i'm all for them
using a battle scarred hayden as the vader revealed and as the anakin spirit. this is gonna get some people really upset.

That would mean Anakin didn't age any since his fight with Obi-Wan.

derek
05-27-2002, 11:13 PM
they could easily make him look 30 years older. i think this would be good because he would actually resemble the anakin we now know, just older, pale, bald, and with a gash in this head.:)

no disrespect to sebastian shaw, but i would really like to see luke pull off vader's helmet to see hayden.

brentfett
05-27-2002, 11:32 PM
Don't do any of it! The Special Edition was enough. Leave the OT alone or it won't be a classic anymore.

INDIANA
05-28-2002, 12:01 PM
I have been saying Padme is Mon Mothma for years !!! Can someone give me an exact quote from ROTJ where they say Leia's mother is DEAD? Luke asks if he remembers her mother, I don't remember anything being there about her being killed. We know she is alive and with Leia for a short time. I find it hard to believe Padme would than be willing to just sit back and let someone else run the Rebellion. Where is Mon Mothma NOW (E2)? I would have expected the future leader of the rebellion in Palpatine's office next to Bail Organa.

To further try to keep Anakin's offspring hiden, and to help lead the rebellion, Padme is persuaded to leave Leia at an early age under Bail's protection. She takes up the identity for Mon Mothma.

Beast
05-28-2002, 12:12 PM
On Endor, Leia tells Luke, when they are talking: "She died when I was very young." I don't remember the rest of the dialogue, but she also makes mention that she was very sad. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sunblind
05-28-2002, 12:47 PM
With all these new addition how about then with Luke and Obi.
When Obi talked about how Leia and luke where separated at birth. That scene. They do a flash back with the separation. yeah!
Oh and some how we know lucas could think of it, but somehow with a FLASHBACK, show us why Darth Vader doesn't want any disintegrations and point to Boba.
Why Boba, why...maybe we'll all get to know....actually these ideas would be quite cool to see.....;)

stillakid
05-28-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by sunblind
With all these new addition how about then with Luke and Obi.
When Obi talked about how Leia and luke where separated at birth. That scene. They do a flash back with the separation. yeah!
Oh and some how we know lucas could think of it, but somehow with a FLASHBACK, show us why Darth Vader doesn't want any disintegrations and point to Boba.
Why Boba, why...maybe we'll all get to know....actually these ideas would be quite cool to see.....;)

And when, and when Lars tells Luke "I think he died about the same time as your father," there could be a flashback right there showing us how Anakin got hurt...

and then, there could be another flashback, when Han tells Ben and Luke about the Falcon making the Kessel Run, the flashback could show that...

and then....

:rolleyes:

icatch9
05-28-2002, 02:19 PM
You guys are going way overboard on this one. First of all no one confirms a flash back, settle down about that one. Second of all, we don't really know if she's dead or not. I mean Leia says she is, but Ben also told Luke Vader killed Aniken. We know that was a lie. So, perhaps Leia was only told that her mother died and Padme just went away in hiding to help keep Leiaís identity a secret. More speculation of course, but no one really knows.

Reappearing as a spirit. I do not think this is possible. She is not a Jedi, and certainly not powerful enough to return as a spirit.

Sounds to me that this whole thing is fanboy gone a crazy. No one knows for sure what GL is doing with the DVD or the scenes being inserted. Already people are going nuts and insulting GL. Well these are his movies and his story and if he feels that it is necessary to add things, then that is the way it was meant to be. Quote "Films are never really finished, they are just abandonedĒ, which was said by George Lucas. Again, they are his to do what he will. I think he is smarter than all of us combined when it comes to continuity, and for any of you to say other wise is ridiculous. If you donít like the inserted sciences then donít watch them! Itís that simple.

evenflow
05-28-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Battle Droid

Exactly, that's what I am taking about. I also hope that they do not replace Mon Mothma, honestly, just sounds stupid in my opinion.

Tycho
05-28-2002, 08:51 PM
1) I posted a poll in the main poll section to decide how all the fans want this question answered. You are in the E3 spoiler section here but talking about Return of the Jedi? Let everyone have a voice.

2) Padme doesn't have to be a ghost or a flashback, or even still alive (age 50, exactly, by the way - 36 years after TPM when she was 14). Anyway, Padme could be in a hologram held by R2D2. If Luke and Leia are witness to this, I hope they at least use 'old takes' on the ghost scene or whatever so it doesn't involve 1 million dollars just to digitally move their heads so Mark and Carrie are looking another way. I'm really against altering these films any more (in this way- with prequel characters) altogether. Effects shots is one thing. No changes to the storyline please!

3) Mon Mothma's father is the Senator from Chandrilla during E2. It's on the holonet news site -that's Lucasfilm ran, thus official. Where is Mr. Mothma at this time? Good question. Assasination attempt? Mon Mothma should be in the picture at some point.

4) I care about the EU continuity. It is regulated so these things can't happen. Should be the best indicator that Padme did die, besides Leia saying so. True Lucas can throw it all out, but then why throw away book licensing returns he'd normally get if a bunch of us quit reading when it becomes officially 'bunk?'

Anyway, click on Forums above, Click on POLLS, go and vote.

INDIANA
05-29-2002, 11:06 AM
As mentioned before, Uncle Owen and Obi-Wan both tell Luke his father is dead. Telling a young Leia that her mother died to help hide the two of them wouldn't be hard to believe.

Chewtobacco
05-29-2002, 10:18 PM
I've read all the posts and even some mainstream commentary about how Padme dies in ep 3. On this board, most people seem to think that the extra scene in ROTJ will be a "flashback" of Leia remembering mommy.

Just to jumble your marbles, I'll throw in my speculation on why that scene will appear in ROTJ.

I don't think Padme dies at all. She goes into hiding just as Ben Kenobi has. Heck, she may be polishing R2 units for the Jawas somewhere on Tattoine.

Argument 1 trasher: Leia says in ROTJ that she was told that her mother died when she was little. so what? That's only smart of the Organa's to tell her. Luke's aunt and uncle didn't tell Luke the truth about his dad, so that makes sense. Can you imagine what wrath would come to Leia's family if the truth came out?

Argument 2 trasher: Natalie Portman is way too young to play the part of a real flesh and blood mother of Luke and Leia. True, but it would be easy for GL to age her. Color her hair blue/gray, CG some wrinkles and age her about 30 years. You know ILM can do just about anything.

icatch9
07-10-2002, 02:58 PM
If the reports are true that Natilie Portman is filming new sceense for the ROTJ DVD then it probally won't be a dream back. Lucas wouldn't need to pay her to film a whole new sequence. He'd just film it during AOTC or Episode III and put it in Jedi. It would be a cost saveing issue.

I don't know if anyone has thought about this yet, but to me it seems like a possibility.

AT the end of Jedi SE after Vaders funeral and befor the Ewok party the movie cuts to sceens of celebration on Coruscant, Bespin, and Tatooine. Naboo is convenetly left out of this celebration. I think that during this sequence in the definative edition it will cut to a sceen of an elderly Padme' finding out about the fall of the Emperor and the death of Vader/Aniken. No words, just a lone tear from her eye.

This would be a very moveing sceen, and at the same time very tastefull insert into a movie that few people want to be tampered with. Plus, it would cement the concept of the true love that Padme had for Aniken, even though he was the most evil (or second most evil, after Palpy) man in the galaxy. Plus, Lucas has said that the prequils and inserts will make us look at the OT in a new light, and I think that her being sad at the fact that Vader/Aniken is really dead, would surprise us all and shed new light.

Just a thought, so what does everyone else think.......?

MikeAndTheBots
07-10-2002, 03:32 PM
Didn't Leia say she died when she was very young (about 5, 6 maybe)?

Toad
07-10-2002, 03:44 PM
Where did you read this?
(Directed to original poster)

MFH
07-10-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Chewtobacco
Can you imagine what wrath would come to Leia's family if the truth came out?

Leia's family doesn't have to worry about anybody's wrath. Alderaan, the planet they lived on, was blown up by the Death Star.

Toad
07-11-2002, 08:17 AM
Just to chime in my two cents:

I'm all for Lucas changing the OT if he thinks it will flow better. I don't care. They're masterpieces to me because of what they are as a whole -- not because of specific scenes.

That said, however, I think the idea of a flashback severly ruins the fantasy. It takes you out of the story. There's not a need for it. Also, if we find out that Amidala really is ALIVE, that's even dumber. (I'm not attacking anyone's idea here -- just the premise). She died when Leia was very young. I think that's an important part of the story, and one that doesn't need to be altered.

I don't know where this rumor stems from, about Portman signing on to do add-in scenes for ROTJ, but I'm hoping -- and betting -- they're not true.

billfremore
07-11-2002, 09:33 AM
Well my belief is, if you don't like the idea of Lucas adding in this footage, don't buy the new versions when they come out.

If enough people do this they will have to notice.

If you complain about this stuff and go ahead an buy it anyways everything you've said is complaining to hear your self complain

It's that simple.

Toad
07-11-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by billfremore
Well my belief is, if you don't like the idea of Lucas adding in this footage, don't buy the new versions when they come out.

If enough people do this they will have to notice.

If you complain about this stuff and go ahead an buy it anyways everything you've said is complaining to hear your self complain

It's that simple.

I don't know if you're talking to me, but I'll bite. He could add Portman in any number of dumb ways, and yes I'll ***** about it. But I'll still buy it when it comes out. Why? Because it'll be on DVD for crying out loud!! :)

I don't think there's anyone here that WOULDN'T buy the new versions no matter what.

billfremore
07-11-2002, 10:51 AM
I'm not suggesting no one should not buy it.
All I'm saying is if you're really adamant against what Lucas is doing by adding more into the OT then don't buy it.

That should show Lucas how much you don't like it.

Toad
07-11-2002, 11:04 AM
I don't care if he changes the OT. But I'm sure there are some things that would annoy me: like adding a flashback for instance. But that doesn't mean, as I said, that the movie as a whole is ruined. I'm not that petty, man -- I just want the movie on DVD. He could change the ewoks to flying Jar Jars for all I care!

:D

billfremore
07-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Fair enough.

Hmm...
Flying Jar Jars.
That would be pretty cool.

Meesa flying maxi beeg! :D

stillakid
07-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by billfremore
I'm not suggesting no one should not buy it.
All I'm saying is if you're really adamant against what Lucas is doing by adding more into the OT then don't buy it.

That should show Lucas how much you don't like it.

I'm going to buy every version out there, digitize them, edit out all the crap, and have a personalized version that I can enjoy in the end. Lucas is counting on the limited lifespan of VHS to "self-destruct" in a few years so that the only versions of the stories out there will be the ones he wishes. That nefarious plan is doomed to failure, ironically thanks to his own push for digital technology. Bwah ha ha!:crazed:

Jedi Clint
07-11-2002, 11:21 AM
I believe this rumor was debunked by Ms. Portman fairly recently. She will not be in ROTJ.

stillakid
07-11-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Toad
I don't care if he changes the OT. But I'm sure there are some things that would annoy me: like adding a flashback for instance. But that doesn't mean, as I said, that the movie as a whole is ruined. I'm not that petty, man -- I just want the movie on DVD. He could change the ewoks to flying Jar Jars for all I care!

:D

Great screensaver! Flying Jar Jar's! :D Maybe it could be turned into a shooting gallery game too!

MikeAndTheBots
07-11-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
I believe this rumor was debunked by Ms. Portman fairly recently. She will not be in ROTJ.
THANK GOD!

icatch9
07-11-2002, 01:55 PM
Weather or not if she's in it really doesn't matter. Lucas is going to do what he wants. Lucas said he put Boba Fett in there becasue he's such a fan favorite. Sure, that's true, but that doesnt' mean the bounty hunter character wasn't always there. Jango didn't have to be boba's dad. He could of been
Jango Floppy Disk in the original story for all we know. Adding Boba to the story and makeing him Jango's son clearly didn't change any thing at all. Boba was a minor character and rumors say he's barely in Episode III. So the fans hardly influenced GL's story.

Padme' doesn't have to be dead. Luke thought his father to be dead too, but we found out that he was lied to. Why wouldn't Leia be lied to as well. The identity of Liea was a huge secret. So, if Padme' stayed with her Leia would be in danger. If Leia thought her mother was still alive then she would have looked for her and then put herself in danger again. Remember Leia was the "Ace in the hole" for the Jedi's. There was no hidding Luke, but Liea was the secret. So much so that it seems not even Obi Wan knew of her. Remember he says "That boy's our last hope", then Yoda says "No, there is another." This idicates that Ben knew nothing of Leia. Yoda probally explained to Ben about Leia after Luke left for Bespin in ESB.

The possibilites are endless, this issue isn't so cut and dry. We all think Padme's going to die, but the biggest cliff hanger of all would be her not dying. Very intersting twist, me thinks :)

odi-wan windu
07-11-2002, 02:34 PM
If she doesn't die, we'll never have closure on that character.

icatch9
07-11-2002, 02:53 PM
Granted, but we don't have real closure on any of the others either, ie Yoda, Ben, Aniken. Last we see of them they are spirits. Then what? What do Jedi Spirits do for fun in the after life? The only closure we have on Aniken is that he's accept back as a Jedi. But we still don't know where they go from there. Do they still need to assit Luke? I know Ben has visited Luke in some of the novels after Jedi, but why not Aniken. If a Jedi Spirit can come back, then why doesn't Aniken want to talk to Luke and find out what kind of man he's become?

This whole issue of Jedi spirits is a powder keg just waiting to go off.

Jedi Clint
07-11-2002, 03:18 PM
She will not die in E3. The closure for her character is given in ROTJ by her daughter.

billfremore
07-11-2002, 03:23 PM
Considering we're years away from seeing what Lucas has in mind, I don't think anybody can discount anything.

So who's to say whether she dies or not in E3.

Jedi Clint
07-11-2002, 04:42 PM
Simple math. Natalie said she would be "with child" in E3. If the twins are born at the end.....as would be fitting, then there is no way Leia would be old enough to have memories of her mother before the films close (as was established in ROTJ). If you wish to entertain other theories, don't let me stop ya. I have yet to read any that have Padme expire at the end and sound plausible.

stillakid
07-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Beyond practicing my proof-reading skills in this thread, it's also great entertainment to read ludicrous theories on how Portman's character could still be alive through the original trilogy. Thanks for the chuckle! :D

plo koon 200
07-13-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Bosskman
She can't be Mon Mothma because that would contradict Leia's knowing she died. George wouldn't take that scene out because it's pivotal. If Padme WERE Mothma, then Luke and Leia would have to find that out before the end of the movie and there's both not enuff time to do that, no place to put such a scene, and no way of making luke and Leia look young enuff to pull it off. I mean, Mark Hamil's a little on the old and chunky side now, and Carrie Fisher looks like she's been rode hard and put away wet. Her voice is so manly and raspy now she's sound like the offspring of Jabba and Yoda. Plus there's no reason to make her into Mothma. I think it will either be in a flashback scene in the film, or possibly an extra feature on the DVD, just so we get a chance to see what happened to her. I know there haven't been any flashbacks and agree that it wouldn't fit with the stlye of the filma, but if there was ever such a flashback that were to be inserted, THAT would be it.

George can pull it off. He will just replace Luke and Leia ith CGI versions. Opps. I shouldn't have said that now Georg might do that.

JEDIpartner
07-29-2002, 11:42 AM
Here's a theory... Leia stated that her mother died when she was very young and that she was sad. Perhaps Padme kills herself? It's possible. Anything is possible really. Why not a suicide? As things get worse and worse throughout the galaxy, she could have thought that she was the cause for all of this... not being at the senate for the vote or to not give the Supreme Chancellor emergency powers and by "corrupting" Anakin in some way. Who ever said that someone else kills Padme? Again... just a different angle- one that will probably not be explored on film, but given closure as Jedi Clint stated.

scruffziller
07-30-2002, 10:03 AM
Yea I would like to see it as a flashback and show Padme with a young Leia. That would be cool. THen we would have a young Leia figure to collect.

TheFrankEinstein
08-06-2002, 01:55 AM
I like the Padme suicide theory in its own right. Tragedy is always good (in fiction :p). But I don't think it'll happen because A.) George wouldn't have a character in a kids' movie kill herself. Too shocking, too controversial. B.) I think George is reserving her death as a device for conflict between Kenobi and Skywalker. I don't know exactly how he'll play it, but I think it'll somehow be played that way.

And the adding of an elderly Padme at the end of ROTJ, during the celebration scene, shedding a tear, I think is powerful and moving, but hopefully George will work out equally or more passionate a way of showing Padme's love for Anikan.

But either way, I'm not really confident in George anymore. I think the greatness achieved by ANH and ESB were a fluke. ANH was as good as it was out of necessity; he couldn't afford Gungans or Ewoks or hour-long podraces. Darth Vader's character itself was almost an accident, with George deciding he liked McQuarrie's breathing mask for Vader. Just where would he and Anakin be without the cybernetic helmet? "He's more machine than man" is a big part of Vader's appeal, and it partly defined the entire saga. Ever since ROTJ, George has had TOO MUCH control, and he's proven that he's incapable of handling it. Doing too much, he revels in excess (case in point, the rumors of Padme being inserted into ROTJ. He couldn't afford carp like that in the OT, but if he could have, I think things would have been much different!). PHEW. Sorry for the rant. I've been saving that one up for years, and it just spilled out. :D

Chewtobacco
08-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by TheFrankEinstein
Ever since ROTJ, George has had TOO MUCH control, and he's proven that he's incapable of handling it. Doing too much, he revels in excess

Yes, this is a good point... For the good of Star Wars and the loyal fans, I hereby begin a petition to have George Lucas demoted to nerf herder and to put the loyal fans of this message board in control of pulling this story together. All those in favor, please say "I".

In my most optimistic projections, we Star Wars nerds could get this picture done in between day-long Galactic Battlegrounds marathons and visits to Toys-R-Us. I'd say we'd have a completed picture by 2046. At least we wouldn't have an incapable person handling the story. :p

starwars92570
08-07-2002, 01:55 PM
I like the idea of the hologram appearing from R2. Even though I 97% think that they should leave the OT alone, they can add a feature, maybe to the deleted scenes since the scene where Luke was building a lightsaber was cut, I think it can be added to cut scenes!

Chewtobacco
08-07-2002, 04:24 PM
Personally, I can't wait for them to update the OT. Think of all those control switches and monitors that look like they're from the 1960's. It makes it look like technology took a step back in time. Just clean up the monitors and displays and you won't mess up any continuity.

When Dooku flipped the switch on the little gameboy that projected a hologram of the Death Star plans, that was sweet and just making some of those changes will enhance the OT.

Darth Marra 54
08-07-2002, 08:43 PM
NO! NO flashbacks or "enhancements" the special edtions were more than enough to staisfy me for all time. How about making the prequels good before redoing the OT again!

Chewtobacco
08-07-2002, 09:27 PM
Ok, well perhaps pong-style video monitors are your thing. That's cool.

GL is big time into CG enhancements. Each picture has more and more of it. It doesn't change the storyline, just the look. I don't understand all this purist rhetoric. In the enhanced versions of the movies, GL talks about how he couldn't create the movie that he had in his head due to technical limitations. Now, when he has the ability why not give the guy license to make the films as he originally thought up? It's not like it's some new guy taking over and creating Star Wars: A New Hope 2005 and changing some of the storyline. (like they did with Planet of the Apes)

If he changes it, you're going to buy it. Everyone on this message board is going to buy it. That will be thanks enough to George and his generations of wealth.
:greedy:

TheFrankEinstein
08-08-2002, 01:08 PM
What I said earlier was basically that his so-called technical limitations were what helped the fluke that WAS the greatness of the OT! Now he can do anything he wants with the wonders of computers, and he SUCKS! There's something wrong there.

Jedi Clint
08-08-2002, 02:37 PM
Or it could just be a matter of opinion.

Chewtobacco
08-08-2002, 04:05 PM
Yes, that is just a matter of opinion. IMO, GL is brilliant. He invented a story that millions across the globe can't wait to spend their money on. I know people where I work that took the day off work on opening day. These are people that get paid about $40/hr. I would LOVE to have a product that desireable to sell. GL is rich and deserves every penny.

Is Star Wars art? If you look at it as art, then don't mess with the original. That makes sense. I don't see it as art. GL was as technically advanced as possible. He is a pioneer of technology. Photographically, he made things happen in 1977 that were never done before. Before Ep4, what space movie even looked somewhat real? None, they were all cheezy. It's awesome what detail can be created from one's brain and put in film (or digital).

If GL revamps the OT, I'll be first in line to buy it.

Frank, If it was just a fluke that OT was a hit, and GL sucks, why continue on watching more of the story? And why continue combing SW message boards unless you loved the prequels?

The unibomber hated technology too.

JEDIpartner
08-08-2002, 08:18 PM
I agree... matter of opinion.

I honestly didn't know TPM sucked until everybody said it did. I enjoyed it. Oh, well...

TheFrankEinstein
08-09-2002, 04:24 AM
Or it could just be a matter of opinion.

Well obviously. I'm not trying to be domineering or anything, maybe I'm just a little over-zealous. :)

And Chewtobacco, I don't HATE the prequels, not by a long shot, but I don't see them as anywhere near the quality of the OT. In fact, I don't see them as being in the same UNIVERSE. George could have just as easily taken Episode One, removed the lightsabers and key characters (R2D2, C3PO), changed the names and called the movie something unrelated to Star Wars, and I would've never caught on. I would've probably liked it more than I do, as a matter of fact, if it didn't have the standards of the past to live up to.

And like I said, everybody, I don't mean to sound the way I do, and I apologize. I'm just over-loaded with opinionated rants that have built up over my entire life without having anyone to discuss Star Wars with who would actually know what I'm talking about, and now that I DO have someone, it's like I can barely control myself.

billfremore
08-09-2002, 09:01 AM
Actually for those of you who want to get into a TPM bashfest you may want to go here:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11880&highlight=TPM+dislike

Darth Vellner
08-09-2002, 12:46 PM
Flashbacks would be new to star wars. But, I think a flashback could show up in ep. 3. remember the (point of view) shot through C3-P0's eyes...I think we will see them as flashbacks durring his memory wipe. so, when we see padme/leia flashback it will not be new to star wars..thanks to C3-P0................

jobi
08-10-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Battle Droid

I agree the only "ghosts" we have seen are the fallen jedi who are now 1 with the force.