PDA

View Full Version : CNN airing misinformation about Palestinian celebrations?

El Chuxter
09-18-2001, 01:40 PM
My girlfriend alerted me to a very interesting article from the Sept 17 issue of the Saint Petersburg [FL] Times entitled "Debunking the week's rumors" (http://www.sptimes.com/News/091701/Worldandnation/Debunking_the_week_s_.shtml).

One thing that caught my eye in the article and which I found extremely disturbing follows:

The CNN footage of the Palestinians dancing in the street was shot in 1991. CNN says that footage was forwarded to it by the Associated Press and Reuters, and it was dated Sept. 11, 2001. The network assumes that's correct. Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat, who condemned the terrorist attack, reportedly attributed any celebrations to a small band of children.

I'm not sure what to think of this. If it's true, it seriously damages CNN's credibility (what little remained after being taken over by AOL).

Thoughts?

Lobito
09-18-2001, 01:51 PM
I got a mail that states the same thing Chuxt, i dont know if its true or not, but apparently that celebration is when Kuwaitt was attacked waay back in 1991. I dont know, what if trully is from 1991?? It doesnt change the fact that U.S.A. was attacked, but it sure changes our credibility towards the media. Do u know if CBS or NBC broadcasted this video/celebration? or was it just CNN?

Another question, where is the Vicepresident??

Jedi Clint
09-18-2001, 02:34 PM
Lobito,

With the military at alert status Charlie (or perhaps we are back to the highest - Delta) I think that certain measures are taken to ensure that we aren't left without leadership. If that is the case, then perhaps the VP's current location is not being disclosed to the public. I saw that he was quoted recently on the situation in the mid-east, but prior to that (right after the tragedy)I heard he was at a military base.

Lobito
09-18-2001, 02:59 PM
Everybody knows where's Bush, but nobody knows where's the VP, now i know that they both are the main subjects of the government, but for that matter it should be wiser to hide Bush (he could still give messages in TV when needed, only his location will be classified) instead of the VP.

El Chuxter
09-18-2001, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Lobito
Do u know if CBS or NBC broadcasted this video/celebration? or was it just CNN?

Another question, where is the Vicepresident??

The first question, I don't know. I only heard about these reports second-hand, but I think they were only played a few times on the day of the attack. It was more than enough to galvanize the country, though. If there was no clear suspect at that time and CNN did air false information about the Palestinians, they should be held accountable for all the hate crimes against Arab and Muslim Americans.

As for the Veep, I heard from several news sources a few days ago that he's relocated to Camp David.

JEDIpartner
09-18-2001, 03:30 PM
CNN's credibility has dropped considerably over the last decade. They have such a strange slant on the news they report or CHOOSE to report. It is unbelieveable that they would not do something to reverse these effects since they have they little dogs nipping at their heels (MSNBC, FOXnews). It would be unfortunate that CNN would do such a thing, but I would certainly not put it past them. I seems as though they have taken the position of "news as entertainment" rather than "news as education and information".

Sadly, I would believe this report to be true. :(

JediTricks
09-20-2001, 04:34 AM
Milchow over at the BHC found this URL about this rumor that the footage was old, and how it is not true:
http://www.snopes2.com/inboxer/outrage/cnn.htm

Lobito
09-20-2001, 01:50 PM
Whether its true or false does not change the fact that celebrating a catastrophe is nothing but one thing...Cruel.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
09-20-2001, 03:42 PM
I suppose some of the footage could be old, but I saw interviews on the streets where Palestinians were clearly speaking of the events of last Tuesday, and one guy saying he hoped there would be more, because Americans need to "understand some things" or something like that. (How's that for a run-on sentence?) You know, ignorant talk not unlike a lot of things I hear every day in the US. However, I must say Arafat has been great through all of this. I'm sure a lot of his people shut their mouths after seeing him on television giving blood. Overall, it was a relatively small gesture, but symbolically it spoke volumes.

derek
09-20-2001, 09:58 PM
after reading the link jeditricks posted, it is obvious the individual who started this falsehood was a bush basher who's only motive was to blame the U.S. for encouraging the terrorist attacks.