PDA

View Full Version : Death Star

InsaneJediGirl
05-27-2002, 06:47 PM
(I dont think this has been covered..I searched through all three pages)

Am I the only one who thinks the Death Star will be operational in E3?We hear at the end of EpII that they are working on it,and the Republic must not find out.

It would be logical,IMHO.If one thinks back to ANH,Ben recongizes that the Death Star isnt a moon,its a space station.Obi could have seen it in the prequels and not told anyone,fearing that he could be killed before Luke starts down the Jedi Path.

Beast
05-27-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
(I dont think this has been covered..I searched through all three pages)

Am I the only one who thinks the Death Star will be operational in E3?We hear at the end of EpII that they are working on it,and the Republic must not find out.

It would be logical,IMHO.If one thinks back to ANH,Ben recongizes that the Death Star isnt a moon,its a space station.Obi could have seen it in the prequels and not told anyone,fearing that he could be killed before Luke starts down the Jedi Path.
I doubt it, since the first firing of the Death Star, and the first evidance of it's existance are supposed to be in ANH. As the destruction of Alderaan and the Death Star Plans. We may see an ominous image in E3 though, perhaps of the starting of construction. I don't see it as being operational or in use in E3 though. I think the only reason that Obi-Wan knows it's not a moon, is because he sensed human life on it. Yet no animal or plant life. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

chewie
05-27-2002, 08:43 PM
If there's going to be any Death Star in eIII its either going to be a vey skeletal foundation of the station, or some sort of mini prototype that may or may not have a functioning laser.

Bosskman
05-27-2002, 10:10 PM
I'd like to see it as a skeletal sort of structure, like about 1/5th completed or something. I'm pretty sure it won't be built on Geonosis though. Think about it, the "republic" (if you can still call it that) will be constantly watching know seperatist planets, like Geonosis. It might even be conquerred by then. I think it will be built somewhere else by the "sepratists" and then just secreted into the Empiree once it is formed without the Imperial senators knowing anything about it. Remember, the senate still exists up until after the start of ANH, so they must have some residual power at least, if only nominal.

misthunter210
05-27-2002, 11:44 PM
wasn't the death star constructed in the Maw system near Kessel. Maybe we'll finally get to see Kessel!

sunblind
05-28-2002, 01:35 PM
I'd like to see some of it constructed that would be groovy!
Plus maybe Obi did see it in E3 and maybe thats how he knew what it would have been. It's no moon. That's right obi somehow knows.
And Kessel, yeah I like the idea of that.
And how about this, C3po and R2 actually have to work in the mines that C3PO dreaded in E4. Wouldnt that be Ironic and funny.

stevenmh
05-28-2002, 02:26 PM
I don't think we'll see it in EP3, except as a conceptual design like we did in EP2. The 20 years in between EP3 and EP4 is about right for that kind of undertaking. It would take years to go from a hologram concept to detailed design, and then years to get through construction. It took 4 years to get the 2nd one partially built, and that was with the learning curve advantage.

Besides, I don't think the forces at work have enough people to man a Death Star. Takes more than a couple of Sith and some Geonosians to operate something like that. You would need Imperial troops, and they don't exist yet.

Not to mention that there won't be any suppliers right now willing to contribute to a separatist super weapon. Too risky. Palpatine will have to be firmly entrenched as Emperor before construction can start.

jrviking07
05-30-2002, 02:27 PM
I think that they will be testing and still working on the death star because it wasn't until ANH that the death star was fully operational.

Mike_Windu
05-30-2002, 09:31 PM
My thought on the death star being operational is this--although the first shot is supposedly seen in ANH with Alderaan being blown to smitherieens, what's the possibility that it's possibly used once before to test...possibly on Naboo since there's no mention of it in the classic trilogy...just a thought...

Dryanta
05-30-2002, 09:58 PM
welcome Mike Windu,enjoy.
This might sound a little strange but here goes.I don't want to see the death Star in ep3.But at the same time they opened the can of worms in AOTC.I don't see how it can't be shown on some level in Ep 3.
It would definately take at least twenty years to build the first one.I also tend to believe that the second one in orbit of endor had been under construction for more than four or so years.Some kind of skelital form would be O.K. but just barely enough to make it recognizable.Just my ideas on the matter.

Chewtobacco
05-31-2002, 12:21 AM
In a recent interview with GL, I read that he likes to put little things into the movies that connect the OT with the prequel trilogy. That's all the death star was. If you remember in ANH, Leia was saving the plans for the death star in R2D2. She said many people died bringing this information to you. Those plans are most likely the same plans we saw in EP2. It took them nearly 20 years to get the plans to the Republic. If the Death Star were already built years before (like EP3 time), the Republic wouldn't stand a chance at defeating the the Empire.

jblodgett
05-31-2002, 10:10 AM
No no no... they cannot be the same plans.

The plans Dooku had were all fancy holographical hi-res graphical plans. The plans Leia stuck inside R2 were black and white "pong" plans. Cannot be the same.

InsaneJediGirl
05-31-2002, 11:18 AM
I would have to agree that Leia gets different plans than the one Dooku has in EpII.

Mike Windu..Thats the thought I had.Since we dont see Gungans
in the OT,or no mention of them in EU,its possible Naboo was blown up.(or the Gungans were just killed off with the Jedi).

leenovak
05-31-2002, 12:27 PM
One thing that's always bugged me about the Death Star...in ROTJ, it looks to be what, maybe 60% completed? 70% at the most. Yet it's fully operational.

So why are they still building it? If it's operational, stop building it already! What, they have to go for the "completely round and smooth" look? The lead engineers for the Empire could use some work..sheesh. Of course these are also the lead engineers who put random bottomless pits thorughout all their structures.

Laserbrain
06-03-2002, 04:51 PM
You don't want to go to war with a gaping hole in the thing. We all saw how relatively easy it was to go in with a fighter and blast the power core.

And the plans in AOTC are the same, only on a different disk format. Leia's disk fit in R2's drive better without the built in holoprojector. Who's to say that the little black box in Dooku's hand wasn't actually the projector with the data disk inside like a zip drive?

Anyway, why when the Death Star was finally operational, why did Leia risk everything to smuggle the plans to Obi-Wan on Tatooine? Why didn't she just head to the base on Yavin and give them to the Rebels?

Cuz ObiWan was the one to steal the plans in the first place. He's the man to go to if you want to fight the Empire and the Sith.

I foresee that the quest to steal the Death Star plans will be a major part of the plot in E3. It's a good excuse to go back to Genosis and confront Dooku. Look at the name of the planet. Genosis...genesis?

Trusting great faith in movie logic, I foresee a grand and final duel deep within the volcanic crust of Genosis...

saladin
06-03-2002, 07:01 PM
ya i think at most a skeletal like structure and hope fully we see kessel.

Chewtobacco
06-03-2002, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by jblodgett
No no no... they cannot be the same plans.

The plans Dooku had were all fancy holographical hi-res graphical plans. The plans Leia stuck inside R2 were black and white "pong" plans. Cannot be the same.

While I agree with you that the plans didn't look alike, you would probably agree that there's no way in the world that GL would use the "pong" type plans in a movie as technologically advanced as AOTC. It is my understanding that the OT will be revamped in the coming years. Perhaps the higher quality, revamped version will show a high rez view of the plans for the "new" EP4. I still feel that those were hypothetically the same plans.

Daye Azur-Jamin
12-18-2002, 12:31 PM
Do you think we'll see the death star being built in EP3? Ya know, kinda like how it was in ROTJ...It would make sense since we find out towards the end of EP2 that the geonosians are planning to build it... a thought:crazed:

stillakid
12-19-2002, 02:46 AM
I think that in the last 5 minutes of EpIII, we'll not only see the Death Star, but it will be the location for the lame'o montage sequence when Anakin gets put into the Vader armor whilst the camera pans across a photo gallery of his newborn children. :rolleyes:

gibbyhayes
12-22-2002, 09:17 AM
I think what we're going to see here is a gradual increase in scope and scale. Obviously, the Death Star owes its design origins to the Trade Federation core ships - it's just exponentially larger and has no "landing" capabilities (and a really big gun). We'll definitely see more of these ships in Ep.III performing tasks that will inspire further development of the DS.

mini-rock
12-22-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by leenovak
One thing that's always bugged me about the Death Star...in ROTJ, it looks to be what, maybe 60% completed? 70% at the most. Yet it's fully operational.

So why are they still building it? If it's operational, stop building it already! What, they have to go for the "completely round and smooth" look?

From the Visual Dictionary:

The Second Death Star

"The Emperor concieved the second Death Star as a colassal trap, which would use a false sense of vulnerability to lure the Rebel fleet into fatal combat."

As for seeing the Death Dtar in EPIII if GL decides to put it in then great, but if not I'm sure we'll see another reference to it.:D

Darkross
12-23-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by stevenmh
I don't think we'll see it in EP3, except as a conceptual design like we did in EP2. The 20 years in between EP3 and EP4 is about right for that kind of undertaking. It would take years to go from a hologram concept to detailed design, and then years to get through construction. It took 4 years to get the 2nd one partially built, and that was with the learning curve advantage.

Besides, I don't think the forces at work have enough people to man a Death Star. Takes more than a couple of Sith and some Geonosians to operate something like that. You would need Imperial troops, and they don't exist yet.

Not to mention that there won't be any suppliers right now willing to contribute to a separatist super weapon. Too risky. Palpatine will have to be firmly entrenched as Emperor before construction can start.

True...but like most HUGE projects...the DeathStar / Star Destroyers etc... would have been built in pre-assembled sections...thus speeding up the construction phase. I agree that it would take a lot of time to go from Hologram to detailed design...however Dooku doesn't say "I'll take this hologram concept to my master on Coruscant"...rather he says "I'll takes these plans to my master on Coruscant" So who knows how far along the Geonosians were in the planning stage...they may have done everything except start construction. Look how quickly the republic received shipment on the RAS (Republic Assault Ships)...I suspect that we will see either the start of the construction of the DeathStar or at least more about when and where it will be constructed and by whom.