PDA

View Full Version : Palpatine - most boring figure of the saga line yet (merged)

gibbspaulus
05-27-2002, 03:38 AM
Wow - can Hasbro still call Palpatine an 'action' figure? At least the one-pose Jedis were in attack stances. All old Palpy could do is hold his hands out as if describing a fish he caught earlier.

And who decided to put liver spots on a toy??????

Give me my Bespin Luke!

Battle Droid
05-27-2002, 03:42 AM
He should've at least came with a pack-in.

And I thought he had liver spots, or whatever in the film.

mightywhelk
05-27-2002, 03:47 AM
At the weekend I went into my local TRU and my girlfriend found Palpy and remarked 'You don't want this one, he's got measles'.....Priceless

I decided against geting him in the end because I wasn't impressed at all.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
05-27-2002, 04:01 AM
Anyone realize SAGA Palpatine resembles Mr. Burns?

...EEEEEEEEXCELLENT!

gibbspaulus
05-27-2002, 04:58 AM
Vader, who's that dullard slob over there?

That's Binks, sir!

Jargo
05-27-2002, 06:53 AM
I also noticed that he looks like Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula when he's first on screen as the old Dracula and sort of slides around like he's on wheels.
I'm disappointed that his legs stop at the knee and that his robes aren't don e the same way as the royal guard or episode one Nute Gunray. He's a bit of a salt shaker really but he does look good apart from some of them I've seen do look like they have measles. I'd already bought my measles version thinking it might be hard to find later on and then found a whole stack of them afterwards that didn't have measles. All the luck of the draw really. I'm still glad I bought him instead of Luke "what's that smell!" Bespin. Luke just looks awful. The bubble gum stuck to the side of his face put me off along with the been dragged through a sewer paint effect. :)

bigbarada
05-27-2002, 10:04 AM
The battle damage on Bespin Luke has kind of put me off buying him too. I just wish Hasbro would make a standard Luke in Bespin Fatigues and if someone really wants battle damage; well they can paint it on themselves. This scene specific crap is getting way out of hand.:mad:

Lman316
05-27-2002, 11:14 AM
I haven't even seen the Palpy figure here - I've only seen pics. And I've always been peeved that his hands are like that. I mean, he can't even hold a lightsaber! Er...um...well, you see, I would play around with my EP1 Darth Sidious figure, giving him a lightsaber to fight with. At least he could hold one.
I mean, Hasbro's thinking they're increasing playability with these gimmicks and 'action features', but we're losing the ability to use our imaginations in the process. Palpy can't fight :cry:. He can't fly a ship :cry:. He can just stand there :cry:. And he was one of the figures I was most looking forward to too.

Beast
05-27-2002, 01:02 PM
I really like the figure, the ability for him to interlock his fingers is a very cool feature. He doesn't need to be able to hold a lightsaber or fit in a vehicle, he's just cool the way he is. :cool: Hopefully I will find Puhr and Palpy soon. My stores have been pretty much a wasteland so far. :(

The one that has alot of spots on his face was modeled after the original make-up. If you get the insider, about a year or so ago there was an issue with Palpy on the cover. He had large age spots on his face. Apperantly Lucas didn't like the look, as you can tell from the movie that the make-up was obviously changed. So you have "Concept Palpy" and "AOTC's Palpy" shipping at the same time. From a certain point of view. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
05-27-2002, 05:24 PM
Hmmm, I wonder at him having age spots down the side of his face like sideburns. Mine has a join the dots puzzle painted on his face, I did and it makes a picture of Gary Kurtz..... :crazed:
Some of the others I found after buying mine had really nice paint jobs so the age spots looked really cool. The other thing is the green and gold paint down his sleeves is really badly done. It should have been done with airbrush to blend the colours like the prototype but they did it with a paintbrush and had blind monkeys do it. Really bad. he does have wrist articulation though which is...something...I guess..... And elbow articulation so you can turn his hands palms up and have him juggle things...... Or palms down and make him a wine bar piano player.......

Dredging the bottom of the barrel here...... :(

LTBasker
05-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Any chance of being able to customize his legs and getting the chair from the Final Duel Cinema Scene?

Wonderboy
05-27-2002, 06:23 PM
hehehe the spots on the Palpatine are just silly...lame lame lame

Taichi
05-27-2002, 07:37 PM
I just got my Palpy, he's great!

I have my Episode One Palpy flanked by Blue Guards, and right next to him, my Episode Two Palpy flanked by the Red ones!!!

Jargo
05-27-2002, 07:48 PM
LT, his robe is really hard plastic and solid from the knees up. You'd need a big industrial sized exacto to even get close to customising him. I guess if you had a long time and a lot of patience you could cut through but he's round not ovoid so he'd look funny sitting and his sleeves are as long as his robe. You'd kinda need to take the head and hands and do the body from scratch to get a sitting Palpatine a la AOTC. Thelegs are done the same way that Boss Nass POTJ was done with the lower legs pegged into the solid body. They turn but do nothing else. These are just boots into molded on leg stumps though which is even worse than Boss Nass. Nice boots though - shiny......

I was going to get a couple of royal gurds to go with Palpy but I managed to get hold of six for my ROTJ scenes and my partner wouldn't let me get any more even though there were loads around when we went shopping. I bought the six on different shopping trips so I haven't just grabbed every last one out there and deprived people. I left loads on the pegs everywhere I found them. But I shall be getting more. Too cool for words that royal guard is. I'd like a whole battalion of them. They break up the monotomy of the Imperial black white and grey.

Sorry, there I go off topic again. I'm the champion of off topic I am. :D

pthfnder89
05-27-2002, 08:25 PM
I don't think I'll get him because I'm cutting down on secondary characters that don't do much (ie: Ephant Mon, Dexter, Taun We ) but he looked pretty decent from what I've seen.:)

plo koon 200
05-27-2002, 09:02 PM
I like the paint job on the figure and think he is one of the best SAGA so far released.

JEDIpartner
05-28-2002, 08:55 AM
I'll be getting mine this week... I think.

hango fett
05-28-2002, 05:32 PM
i can tell just by looking at him that the palpintine figure will be worth zero in 2 years. he has nothing with him. he has his hands laced just sitting there...............waiting....................... waiting for his ultimate plan to unfold.........no accessories.....no senate cam.....nothing......the worst figure thus far. it will have the value of a penny. even orn free taa has a senate cam. they could at least givin him a hologram of the rodian that tells him padme' is on her way. do you think this way too? does anyone have it yet and agree?

Lord Tenebrous
05-28-2002, 06:05 PM
Sure, the opinions are mixed, but really, are Star Wars figures action figures, or just pawns in Palpatine's play for power?

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9093&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Hellboy
05-28-2002, 06:19 PM
I disagree with you hango fett. I like the detail in this fig. and find Outland Peasant Anakin to be much more boring with his attached saber and useless black box.

JON9000
05-28-2002, 07:46 PM
I'm with you Hango. I really like the idea of the holo rodian. I'm okay with the pose however- let's face it, Palpatine doesn't have a lot to do in the movie, except take over the galaxy with his hands together!

Eternal Padawan
05-28-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Hellboy
I disagree with you hango fett. I like the detail in this fig. and find Outland Peasant Anakin to be much more boring with his attached saber and useless black box.

Hey! Don't knock the black box! I agree Outlander Anakin is the bronze medal winner of SUCK in the new Saga line (Right behind Howlin' Windu and the stunningly craptacular Padme) but the box is a cool random little diorama filler. I've got it next to Slave-1 and a vintage vehicle maitenance energizer with Boba and Jango doin' repairs. It's looks like a little diagnostic computer or something.

If you don't want your black box, send it to me. :)

atomicmaniac
05-28-2002, 09:49 PM
Oh sweet Jeebus will that Palpatine figure suck. I bought Chanclor Valoram when the Phantom Menace figures came out and I do not think I even touched that piece of boring crap until I through his lme @$$ in a box to move. I am not buying this Palpatine, screw him, give us Poggle the Lesser.

DarthMushy
05-28-2002, 10:08 PM
I suppose you'd rather Palpatine come with the following:

- He-Man like muscles
- Kung-Fu Death Grip Action
- Detachable bionic limbs
- Lightning bolt force action
- Flamethrower
- Concussion Grenades
- AK-47
- Hovertank
- Remote Controlled Sandcrawler
- Full-Scale Death Star

Unfortunately, the movie Palpatine wasn't a He-Man, he didn't have any weapons, he wasn't bionic, he didn't drive vehicles, and the death star wasn't around yet. He was a politician. In the movie, he sat. He stood. He moved around a bit. That was it.

Sorry... just felt like some sarcasm ;)

I think the figure is pretty cool. If you don't think having a politician for an action figure is fun, then don't buy it. My Palpatine will sit (or stand) near the other figures and smile menacingly as he pulls the strings of all the other figures...

CaptainSolo1138
05-28-2002, 11:58 PM
Hey, OPD Ani came with a gun, why can't Palpy have a hover tank?! Good idea, Darth Mushy!!;) :p

bigbarada
05-29-2002, 12:16 AM
I think it would have been cool to put some of those statues from his office with Palpatine or maybe pack him with a Sly Moore figure, since all she will be able to do is turn her head. This way no one could complain about Moore being totally unarticulated and nobody could complain about Palpatine not having anything else in his bubble. Of course, having nothing to complain about hasn't stopped us yet.:rolleyes:

yoda05
05-29-2002, 07:40 AM
i think that the sculpt is awsome, but he needs accessories! hango is right! i mean, they could put a bunch of stuff with him with the new bubble! why do you think they have it?

JEDIpartner
05-29-2002, 08:08 AM
If not the Holo-Rodian... a Holo Obi-Wan would have been good.

IcebergSlim
05-29-2002, 10:25 AM
I'm sure everybody is worried about Palpatine's worth in the next couple years :rolleyes:

Darth Detori
05-29-2002, 10:25 AM
bah! Palpatine can break it down with style! (as can Orn Free Taa). the music video will be out soon

JEDIpartner
05-29-2002, 10:39 AM
Actually... MY vote for the most boring figure would be Padme... so far! She can't do anything... stuck on that chain, arm in the air holding that blaster... boring. boring. boring.

eliwankenobi
05-29-2002, 10:49 AM
I don't mind Palpatine. He is what he is, and he looks good doing it.
The one I'll leave on the pegs - and I notice many others are also - is the Groovin' Senator JarJar. IMO, this is the worst fig of the Saga line.

pthfnder89
05-29-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Actually... MY vote for the most boring figure would be Padme... so far! She can't do anything... stuck on that chain, arm in the air holding that blaster... boring. boring. boring.

You're right JEDIpartnr; it's funny that probably the most "dynamic" figure in the first lineup is also the most boring, she just really can't do anything. Mine can't even put her arm down, she must get awfully tired...:rolleyes:

It's funny though because Padme accessories are probably some of my favorite so far. I've actually considered buying another one just to get an extra chain and Geonosian execution pole. I use those all the time in dioramas. Thankfully my common sense prevailed and I didn't waste any more money on another garbage-bound Padme:D

pthfnder89
05-29-2002, 10:51 AM
BTW - my vote for most boring just HAS to go to Orn Free Taa. Hasbro did a very good job with the figure but the character is just stupefyingly dull to me.

Jaina Solo
05-29-2002, 02:13 PM
Did you guys know Episode I Palpy looks halfway decent with Maul's saber in his hand? Especally when cutting Jar Jar's head off.

But I digress. Maybe the articulation does suck. But POTF Emperor Palpatine's the same way, and it's one of my favorite figures. (I may have to Super-Glu his walking stick to his hand, but that's a whole 'nother story.)

icatch9
05-29-2002, 02:15 PM
what the heck do you want him to do? I mean he's not spider man. The whole movie he stood thier and talked. Pack in sure, but he's never going to have an action feature.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-29-2002, 03:06 PM
OK, all you guys who voted for the old men figures but are whining about Palpatine, stop complaining about the concept stormie. We're getting a prime example of what Rieekan or ImpDig would turn out like with this one, plus all the liver spots.

"Vader, I can't feel anything below my waist."

Forhekset
05-29-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
OK, all you guys who voted for the old men figures but are whining about Palpatine, stop complaining about the concept stormie. We're getting a prime example of what Rieekan or ImpDig would turn out like with this one, plus all the liver spots.

"Vader, I can't feel anything below my waist."

How true. If you think Palpatine is boring, imagine how much fun the Imperial Dignitary and Rieekan would be. Two slightly poseable statues of old farts who were nothing more than background filler.

At least Palpatine's character is important.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-29-2002, 03:17 PM
Well, at least you could have a canasta diorama with all three together. :)

brentfett
05-29-2002, 04:02 PM
I don't know, Captain Typho is pretty bad. I think the character was lame in the movie as well as the figure.

DarthBrandon
05-29-2002, 04:27 PM
Don't like Palpy, just can't do anything with him in that statue pose, can't even move his feet. Why they did this I don't know, goes back to quality control, very poor effort although paint is nice.

Beast
05-29-2002, 04:30 PM
Errm, Brandon. From what I understand you can so move his feet. They are attached similar to Jar Jar's and Boss Nass's. And it's a figure of Palpatine in robes. It's not supposed to be Spider-man. And this is not a case of poor quality control, it's a case of the sculpters trying to be as accurate as possible to the look of the charecter.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Bosskman
05-29-2002, 05:49 PM
Jar Jar is the worst. It's a travesty as I actually didn't mind Jar Jar in that senate scene. Why on earth is he in that ridiculous pose? He would actually look pretty cool just standing straight like OFT and Palpy. My only hope is for Jar Jar to be realeased in his robes from the start of the movie and not the senate pod robes we got. Then they could sculpt him normal and the Jar Jar we have can go in the background. I have him behind OFT and Typho right now and it sorta hides his dynamism. Sorta......

Darth Detori
05-29-2002, 05:57 PM
I vote Taun We. She doesn't stand up and her accessory is devoid of an embrio

AT-AT Man
05-29-2002, 08:37 PM
i think typho is one of the best, i love him, finally found him he is my most favorite figure and his charecter was awsome in the movie

DarthMushy
05-29-2002, 09:20 PM
If I had to pick a boring figure....

I'd have to say Jar Jar.

stillakid
05-29-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr

Yeah, but those tight abs and that, um, back end make it nice to look at. :cool:

Vortex
05-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Tough call with this. Jar Jar IS pretty bad, Orn is pretty lame. But I'd have to tip my hat to the constipated Mace. I may have blinked during his primal scream moment in the movie, but I don't remember it, then again, there's a lot of extra stuff with the figs we never see. Guns with Ani, a staff with Jar Jar, the force lance with the royal guards. You only see them for a quick second on screen. But if you really want to disect all the figs, most of them do rot in one way or another. To me, there's not 1 stellar figure in the whole lot.

DarthBrandon
05-29-2002, 10:09 PM
Quote from Jar Jar:

Errm, Brandon. From what I understand you can so move his feet. They are attached similar to Jar Jar's and Boss Nass's. And it's a figure of Palpatine in robes. It's not supposed to be Spider-man. And this is not a case of poor quality control, it's a case of the sculpters trying to be as accurate as possible to the look of the
charecter.

Jar Jar, I don't like palpy period, and it's my own opinion he sucks,
get it sucks. If you want to sound all cool and stuff by telling me he's not spiderman then so be it. It's in my opinion a poor quality figure just like Jar jar is, never liked him either by the way. The thread says the most boring of the saga line so far, in MY OPINION it's palpy. I've got one so let me tell you when I say it sucks, and why do you come to the defense of Hasbro, you got stock or something ? So back off when I say I don't like him, it's again my opinion not yours. You like him then whoopie for you. I'm done with this rant.

Peace be with you.

Turbowars
05-29-2002, 10:20 PM
Palpy is bad @ss. When have we ever had a figure that can fold his hands. I don't know what you people expect, but good old Palpy just sat around kissing Anny's @ss. Did you want him to come with some kind of Saber action? or how about Palpy with survival pack and cantin. Man!

yukface27
05-29-2002, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I would have to agree with most of you guys and say Jar Jar is about the most boring and dumb figure in the new Saga line. He's barely worthy enough to be a stabbing dummy for my Dexster Jettster. I haven't even bought the Jar Jar, my nephew got him, and he's just stupid. His pose is totally out of line and why is he carrying a force pike (isn't that what it is)? I mean, Dexster carries a knife and a kleaver, because he's a friggin' cook. Jar Jar doesn't run around poking people with his stick (no pun intended), he just speaks like an infant. "That's f**king baby talk!"

Darth Narcis
05-29-2002, 10:46 PM
Ok, the VERY worst figure out so far is the MACE WINDU screamer. It's so boring and dull. I saw a couple of them, with the cars in decent shape at toysrus today, but i passed them up for the new jango figure, which is much cooler...

Jayspawn
05-30-2002, 12:18 AM
OPD Anakin is pretty boring. He can't do anything! Padme is a nice figure, but is boring I'm ashamed to say. I do love Natalie though. A new version of Padme in any outfit is in desperate need!

The standard Mace Windu is a lousy figure. He can't do anything, he's in a terrible pose, and the sculpt is horrible! Has Samuel L. Jackson seen this toy???

Jaina Solo
05-30-2002, 01:25 AM
Okay, I could see the Imperial Dignitary becoming a salt shaker, but Rieekan? Figured he'd be your basic semi-articulated Rebel. *shrugs*

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
Okay, I could see the Imperial Dignitary becoming a salt shaker, but Rieekan? Figured he'd be your basic semi-articulated Rebel. *shrugs*

Yeah, Rieekan needs lotsa articulation, because he does so much in ESB. Like uh...he turns his head this way...and then that way...and he has his hands on this control panel....then over there on that panel...

Look at Duros. I bet that's how much articulation Rieekan is gonna have, and that ain't much. There's no incentive to give him a lot because he doesn't do anything. The concept Stormy, on the other hand.... :D

Eternal Padawan
05-30-2002, 08:49 AM
So, you guys wanted "Disco-Palpatine" instead?

Odd. I always thought everyone was clamoring for accuracy and detail.

Sorry about that. The next Palpatine, for all you complainers, will be "Electric Boogaloo Palpatine with battle cannon and a Salacious Crumb pack-in" Satisfied? --Hasbro Rep

Adam
05-30-2002, 11:29 PM
Hasbro should keep going with the set pack-ins a la Bespin Luke and Vader. Palpy shoulda came with the top of the Supreme Chancelors dais as seen in the movie.

stillakid
05-30-2002, 11:38 PM
You want a boring figure? The Emperor's Dignitary from the vintage line. He doesn't really do much, but then again, he didn't do a whole lot in the movie, yet everybody is clamoring for the guy. The figure can bow a little bit so the sticker on the bubble could accurately say "WITH REAL MOVIE ACTION!"

Essentially, I'm a little confused as to what some of you want these figures to do? They kinda just stand there anyway until you pick them up. Dust them off every now and again. :confused:

Les S
05-30-2002, 11:54 PM
I LOVE my Palpy! They did a great job on it! Play wise I could see it being a little boring but having it on display and see how cool our 'Evil Ol' Bull' is getting is just awesome. <g>
If I were to choose a 'boring' figure from the play value it would have to be final battle Jango, after the otherone having so mch cool stuff this ones only redeeming feature is its....umm.... battle damage? <g>
Les S.