PDA

View Full Version : New royal guard is pretty cool

BillyJAck
05-28-2002, 05:55 PM
I just got my royal guard the other night. Its a really cool figure. I just opened him and there is nothing i don't like about this figure. very cool indeed. What do you think?

billy

Hellboy
05-28-2002, 06:25 PM
It's one of my favorites as well but I didn't like the lightning bolts attached so I put them in Dooku's right hand. Dooku should have had these with him instead of Anakin's green saber.

bigbarada
05-28-2002, 07:07 PM
He is a huge improvement over the POTF2 one, which was a salt-shaker. Although I'm not too sure if I like him better than the vintage Royal Guard. Kind of hard to go wrong with cloth capes.

chris
06-11-2002, 07:23 PM
yea, he is awsome looking, i'm going to have to buy it.

sideswipe1984
06-11-2002, 08:28 PM
Yes, the Royal guard is a very nice figure. I indulged in 8 of them.

Forhekset
06-11-2002, 08:42 PM
I love the new Royal Guard...not only is the character super cool looking and a pretty nice fig, he's also warming pegs all over my city, so he's easy to find as well. I've bought 6 so far, and I imagine I'll buy at least 6 more at some point....

sideswipe1984
06-11-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
I love the new Royal Guard...not only is the character super cool looking and a pretty nice fig, he's also warming pegs all over my city, so he's easy to find as well. I've bought 6 so far, and I imagine I'll buy at least 6 more at some point....

Yeah, this is the rare case that is really nice to see: A really desirable figure (even better - an army builder) that is readily available. I had premonitions of not being able to locate this guy at all as I waited for 4/23 to approach.

LTBasker
06-11-2002, 08:45 PM
2 down... 7 to go.. 2 for Chancellor Palpatine plus 6 for an ROTJ Palpy Arrival plus 1 for my carded collection. :cool:

sideswipe1984
06-11-2002, 08:48 PM
As I look at them right now, I almost wonder how nice a cloth tunic would have looked on them. Using the same type of material POTJ Lando utilized (and not the craft felt used for the Jedi Tunics), I believe that both this and a Senate guard could look really nice! But, no complaining here. It IS a great figure as is.

Forhekset
06-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by sideswipe1984

Yeah, this is the rare case that is really nice to see: A really desirable figure (even better - an army builder) that is readily available. I had premonitions of not being able to locate this guy at all as I waited for 4/23 to approach.

Where I live, he was really horrible to find the first few weeks, but then as Luminara and Taun We started to clog the pegs, so the did the Royal Guard, in a major way. But it's ok since he's so cool. One guy who has NEVER clogged the pegs, for some reason though, is the Geonosian Warrior....that guy has remained hard to find in my area since the day he came out, for some reason. :confused:

Forhekset
06-11-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by sideswipe1984
As I look at them right now, I almost wonder how nice a cloth tunic would have looked on them. Using the same type of material POTJ Lando utilized (and not the craft felt used for the Jedi Tunics), I believe that both this and a Senate guard could look really nice! But, no complaining here. It IS a great figure as is.

Yeah, I love Lando's cloth cape. Lots of "softs goods" cloaks, capes etc. sometimes turn out looking kind of lame, but Lando's is great. The Royal Guard is ok as it is I guess, but I think the Senate Guard could REALLY benefit from a cloth cloak. Those huge "fins" hanging down off both of his arms suck really bad.

Forhekset
06-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
2 down... 7 to go.. 2 for Chancellor Palpatine plus 6 for an ROTJ Palpy Arrival plus 1 for my carded collection. :cool:

You're thinking the same as me....I've got two to flank Palpy, and 4 guarding Emperor Palpy w/ walking stick. I still want to build him a bigger entourage though. The Royal Guard is kinda like the Stormtrooper, you can almost never have enough of 'em.....

saladin
06-12-2002, 12:22 AM
Ya i love the figure, i really like it, it's probably one of the few Hasbro didn't screw up this time.

Darth Evil
06-12-2002, 05:37 AM
I have yet to even see the new Royal Guard, I really want at least two! You guys are very lucky. Judging by the pictures, he's a very nice figure.

DarthMaulSithLord
06-12-2002, 05:42 AM
I heard he's orange and not red.

:)

Rogue II
06-12-2002, 06:43 AM
I already bought 2 of these guards. He was very high on my resculpt list. He is a little shorter than his POTJ2 predecessor.

Forhekset
06-12-2002, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Darth Evil
I have yet to even see the new Royal Guard, I really want at least two! You guys are very lucky. Judging by the pictures, he's a very nice figure.

Dude, I can go buy you enough Royal Guards to build an entire legion of them, and all for $4.99 each (this week, anyway). He's a major peg-warmer here. Let me know if you want me to grab a few for you.

Forhekset
06-12-2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
I heard he's orange and not red.

:)

He's a fairly bright red, but not orange.

Princess_Leila
06-12-2002, 09:44 AM
I am really disapointed in the new and "improved" ERG. I just find that it looks AWFUL next to the 97 version. The new color is WAY wrong! It's way too bright! Also, the design of the helmet just doesn't measure up to the 97 version. The 97 helmet was a very nice color, and made of hard plastic. It looks so real! The new one is just shiny bright rubber.

The only gripe I have with the 97 version is the exposed left arm. I frankly don't care if he's a salt-shaker. Who cares, if he looks better? The 97 version is also bigger, more elegant looking that the new version. But my biggest gripe on the new one is really the awful color.

If you want a perfect (at least in looks) ERG, just buy some 97 versions, pop the head off, take off the plastic robe, and replace it with a cloth robe. Then you will have the ULTIMATE ERG. Right color, great helmet, and cloth. Of course, you will have to use a very high quality cloth, like silk.

I may very well put my sewing abilities to the test and just do that. Hey! That's what's cool about being a girl who likes Stra Wars! ^_-

LTBasker
06-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Well at least his pike is more accurate than the 97 rod. :D

Forhekset
06-12-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Princess_Leila
I am really disapointed in the new and "improved" ERG. I just find that it looks AWFUL next to the 97 version. The new color is WAY wrong! It's way too bright! Also, the design of the helmet just doesn't measure up to the 97 version. The 97 helmet was a very nice color, and made of hard plastic. It looks so real! The new one is just shiny bright rubber.

The only gripe I have with the 97 version is the exposed left arm. I frankly don't care if he's a salt-shaker. Who cares, if he looks better? The 97 version is also bigger, more elegant looking that the new version. But my biggest gripe on the new one is really the awful color.

If you want a perfect (at least in looks) ERG, just buy some 97 versions, pop the head off, take off the plastic robe, and replace it with a cloth robe. Then you will have the ULTIMATE ERG. Right color, great helmet, and cloth. Of course, you will have to use a very high quality cloth, like silk.

I may very well put my sewing abilities to the test and just do that. Hey! That's what's cool about being a girl who likes Stra Wars! ^_-

The only problem is if you're an army builder - the old POTF2 RGs aren't so easy to come by, whereas these new guys are pegwarmers already. ;)

That's a nice customising idea, though.

lunchymeatball
06-12-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Well at least his pike is more accurate

I didn't know he came with a fish:crazed:

Sorry I am at work and bored with nothing to do especially now I hate clone troopers:mad:

Jaina Solo
06-12-2002, 03:35 PM
*lol* Fish...

The POTF guard was really hard to find- I lucked into mine when Toys R Us was clearing out their stockroom a year or two ago. And the arms are this bruised plum color that looks really bad. Plus the salt shaker thing- though I admit it does make them easier to stand up.

I love the Saga Guards. Cloth robes would've been nicer, sure, but Hasbro doesn't seem to like to do those a lot, with any kind of figure.

I have two, but I really need at least four more. We have a ton of them around here now, but they were pretty hard to find for a while.

That's a /great/ customizing idea, though... my sewing skills are pretty bad, but how hard can it be? (Yeah...if I don't post for a while, it's because I impailed all my fingers on needles and can't type.)

DarthMaulSithLord
06-12-2002, 06:54 PM
I have 3 of the POTF2 Royal Guards, so i can do without this version if they don't show-up here. But exactly how small is the new one?

:confused:

gibbspaulus
06-13-2002, 05:37 AM
He's not so much small, as mot as ginormaous as the POTF2 one. I loathed him as I always had such a soft spot for the vintage version. The POTF2 effort looks like a bendum figure that's 'gone off'.

The new one is cool, nice and bright (important in a toy I feel), looks slightly 'action' and in lines look amazing!